100 Days Celebration: Absolute Favorite Dramas

stroppyse

6 hours ago, JenL said:

3. Weight Lifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo- (Korean drama, 2016) This is a rom-com sports drama. I don't normally love sports dramas, but this one was fun. I think it was light-hearted and had great humour, but also looked at issues like depression, feeling lost with your life choices, family issues. The pacing was so point with this series - issues arose but were resolved relatively quickly and logically. The romance was also pretty damn cute (haha, might have been because the leads were actually in love at the time though!)...But also the side characters were all super likeable! :MewHi:

Thank you for mentioning this drama.  Mad at myself for not including it on my list.  It is SOOOO good.  

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1
4 hours ago, HerManyShows said:

Thank you for mentioning this drama.  Mad at myself for not including it on my list.  It is SOOOO good.  

Hahaha, no worries. WLFKBJ is high on my list of favourites! I didn't mention Crash Landing on You on my list, but I saw that you had and that one is technically on my list too! I loooooved Crash Landing  I probably didn't get sucked into the BinJin loop because I watched months after it aired and so only had a limited time to fangirl before another drama came out. But it was one of those dramas that really hit all the right spots...I loved how creative and heartwarming their depiction of North Korea was. And all 4 of the main cast members were amazing in their on-screen chemistry and depiction of characters....and the side characters were so much fun and added a lot of light to balance out any tensions!

:CharmanderYay: :BulbaOWO:

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

On 11/28/2020 at 2:20 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

3. Firefly -- Possibly Yours Truly's favourite sci-fi drama of all time. Humorous, heartwarming and inventive. The brain child of Joss Whedon and Tim Minear sadly cut short due to poor ratings at the time. Set in some dystopian future where people curse and swear in bad, tone deaf Chinese in terraformed planets. It's the Wild Wild West meets Han Solo. Brilliant concept that could have gone to all kinds of places. Followed up by the movie Serenity.

I love this American series! I actually didn't watch it during broadcast, but ended up buying the DVD later when i was going through a Joss Whedon phase. I'm not sure why it didn't get more love when it was being broadcast because there is such a huge cult following for this series. I like the follow up movie "Serenity" as well since it took us back into that world and showed us some of the changes that had happened, but I really wish it could have been a multi-season show. Also my intro to Nathan Fillion who is an actor whose works I will at least start watching because of my love for Malcolm Reynolds, his character in Firefly. I don't confuse the actor and the character, but an actor who can bring a character to such vivid life must be a decent actor, I figure.

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I love reading all your Top 5 (or more) fave dramas of all time! It would be pretty hard to choose only five, but will try my best to do that 🤣

There are so many dramas to choose from and I have no exact genre that I love, so long as the drama is good, I go for it.

Here's mine, mostly because of sentimental reasons.  So hard to pick only 5. Hahahaha

1. Princess Hours

-for the reason that this is my first Kdrama that I remember watching from the first ep til the finale, and all over again for countless times during my first year in kdrama land

2. 1 Litre of Tears (series)

- my first jdrama! I literally shed 1 litre of tears in this drama. Huhuhu. After watching this way back when I was in high school, I remembered convincing my classmates to watch as well and had a guy bestfriend who was convinced and shed also literally 1 litre of tears. We became close then (til now). Hahaha.

And oh, I tried so hard back then to memorize the OST... 🎶Konayuki..

3. Hana Kimi (Japanese)

-the most fun and exciting drama! The only drama that all my siblings and I watched together. We shared so much laughter and enjoyed all the "nonsensical" activities of Dorms 1 2 &3 like catching the panty thief and ofcourse Nakatsu's inner struggles. 😅

4. W Two Worlds

- jaw-dropping first ep for me. Maybe because I did not read the synopsis before watching the drama and I was so in for the surprise of switching worlds. 2016 was full of amazing kdramas, and W was on top of my list. Story+CHEMISTRY of the leads. HoneyCouple was on fire and was the reason I had to log in to the previous forum after years of just lurking. Lol

5. Hospital Playlist

- so far the best 2020 kdrama for me. Story+Cast+Humor+MUSIC. I like every aspect of it.

If I could only squeeze in Age of Youth s1&2 ....

:laugh:

Edited by -StrongTower-
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

In the strong Tower, I take refuge.

-----------------------------------

So far my top 2020 K-Dramas are 1. Hospital Playlist 2. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Season Two 3. CLOY 4. IONTBO

1. Are You Human Too? 

When technology so advanced, can human be replaced by robot? Can robot love human and vice versa? I'm not fans of sci-fi, but these drama also touched power struggle, love, and human relationship beautifully. And most important - brown eyes Seo Kang Joon! 

tumblr-pchhh9-XEa-V1rxsk42o6-r1-250.webp

2. Feel Good to Die

It's a workplace drama mixed with time travel in comedic tone. There is character progress of the male lead to become a better person. And tons of one sided love, that almost make me think the first ML won't get the girl. This should have been my no.1 drama, but I have some reason to put it as 2nd only. 

3. Signal

This is a cult crime series, creepy and will chill your bones to the max. But I enjoyed this so much. Perfect storyline, unusual murder case and mixed with some fantasy in between. 

4. Master Sun

I probably rewatch this for the 100x times during the airing time. I think it's like a classic movie Pretty Woman, just thrown extra ghost into it. It was so refreshing that time, as the FL so quirky & unusual. 

5. Secret Forest Season 1 

The only crime dramas that I rewatched. The OST and the cinematic was stellar. Can't find any fault on the storyline and thrown into that a charismatic cold prosecutor and independent policewoman. And I love this! Too bad 2nd season felt lagging for me. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

23 hours ago, -StrongTower- said:

- my first jdrama! I literally shed 1 litre of tears in this drama. Huhuhu. After watching this way back when I was in high school, I remembered convincing my classmates to watch as well and had a guy bestfriend who was convinced and shed also literally 1 litre of tears. We became close then (til now). Hahaha.

oooo i cried.....really cried for the drama....

On 11/28/2020 at 11:37 AM, Tofu said:

I still have two available on my list, you can add to it with yours. :laugh:

looking at @stroppyse hehehe

• Haha 3
  • Awesome 1
On 11/29/2020 at 7:16 PM, -StrongTower- said:

3. Hana Kimi (Japanese)

-the most fun and exciting drama! The only drama that all my siblings and I watched together. We shared so much laughter and enjoyed all the "nonsensical" activities of Dorms 1 2 &3 like catching the panty thief and ofcourse Nakatsu's inner struggles. 😅

Ahh!! I loved these two dramas. :wow:

I've been enjoying reading everyone's favorite dramas, some are bringing back so much memories of where I was at in my life when I watched them. :BulbaOWO:

• Like 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
1 hour ago, Tofu said:

Ahh!! I loved these two dramas. :wow:

I've been enjoying reading everyone's favorite dramas, some are bringing back so much memories of where I was at in my life when I watched them. :BulbaOWO:

True. Am feeling nostalgic upon reading everyone's fave dramas. I feel like I'm in a time shuttle transversing from different periods of the drama land :heart:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

So far my top 2020 K-Dramas are 1. Hospital Playlist 2. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Season Two 3. CLOY 4. IONTBO

20 hours ago, -StrongTower- said:

True. Am feeling nostalgic upon reading everyone's fave dramas. I feel like I'm in a time shuttle transversing from different periods of the drama land :heart:

In some ways, I feel as if enough time has to pass after I've watched a drama before I can add it to my all-time recommendation list. There are some that are quirky that I like, but I wouldn't recommend to anyone else to watch unless they are inclined to like those characteristics anyway.

For instance, I have watched and enjoyed a number of longer episode count dramas, more specifically weekend and daily dramas which have episode counts of 50 to 100+ episodes. I don't recommend those to people generally unless I know enough about the person to think that they might enjoy them.

The ones that come to mind actually are 'Five Enough', 'What Happens To My Family', and 'My Father is Strange' which were all excellent weekend dramas that looked more at the family dynamics of modern Korean society with story lines that were sometimes pulled from the headlines in SK at the time. Or 'Happy Home' another weekender which was a total makjang fest, but did make a lot of shippers happy since the two leads from that drama got married. On the daily drama side, 'Ugly Alert' which stars Im Joo Hwan, Kang So Ra, Choi Tae Joon, and Shin So Yul was a lot of fun, as was 'Smile, You' starring Jung Kyung Ho and Lee Min Jung when they were relative newbie actors.

I'm tagging @LaLa and @Nohamahmoud2002 here to give their Top 5 dramas since they both also watch longer dramas and have opinions about them.  :smile:

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Party! 1
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

For instance, I have watched and enjoyed a number of longer episode count dramas, more specifically weekend and daily dramas which have episode counts of 50 to 100+ episodes. I don't recommend those to people generally unless I know enough about the person to think that they might enjoy them.

That's very true because that's how I feel about a lot of more romance focused dramas (which can be everything, right? Haha!). 

Also, I loved all of those family dramas that you mentioned especially Five Enough and Smile You. I still listen to some of the songs from Smile You's OST. And their morning exercises scenes are still my favorite. Haha! 

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

In some ways, I feel as if enough time has to pass after I've watched a drama before I can add it to my all-time recommendation list. There are some that are quirky that I like, but I wouldn't recommend to anyone else to watch unless they are inclined to like those characteristics anyway.

The ones that come to mind actually are 'Five Enough', 'What Happens To My Family', and 'My Father is Strange' which were all excellent weekend dramas that looked more at the family dynamics of modern Korean society with story lines that were sometimes pulled from the headlines in SK at the time. 

True. I  totally forgot about those long weekend dramas. I enjoyed Father is Strange as well. It was my first "long" drama. What's nice about these kinds of dramas is that there is proper character development. And I also love Once Again.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I'm tagging @LaLa and @Nohamahmoud2002 here to give their Top 5 dramas since they both also watch longer dramas and have opinions about them.  :smile:

I don't post in here because I can't choose which one is my top 5 dramas :PikaRIP: I have watched dramas quite a lot. While there are dramas that I like and dislike, I don't know how to rate them and choose my top 5. How should I group them and eliminating it one by one... 

Talking about dramas with family theme or the weekend drama with episodes more than 40 eps, I think not everyone might like it. I too rarely watch weekend drama. My taste and opinion for the drama is more higher than the mini series dramas. It's because I have to commit more than 50 hours so I really choose carefully about which drama I'd watch. Usually the drama has to have this 'pull' that makes me interested and 'touch' something within my feelings and then I will watch it. My first family drama that I remember was Wang's Family. And then it took me a long time before I watched Five Children. I met @stroppyse while watching that series :) Father is Strange was also enjoyable and Once Again was also good. 

I think most of weekend dramas that I watch were produced by KBS. No wonder people say KBS as a strong contender for airing good weekend dramas. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

13 minutes ago, LaLa said:

don't post in here because I can't choose which one is my top 5 dramas :PikaRIP: I have watched dramas quite a lot. While there are dramas that I like and dislike, I don't know how to rate them and choose my top 5. How should I group them and eliminating it one by one... 

Think about it this way. If a friend asked you which were the 5 dramas that you thought they really should watch, what would you recommend?

And, yes, I remember that Five Children (also known as Five Enough) was where we met. That was a fun thread for discussions, but the best part was meeting you! :heart:

• Like 4
On 12/3/2020 at 10:22 PM, stroppyse said:

Think about it this way. If a friend asked you which were the 5 dramas that you thought they really should watch, what would you recommend?

It's still quite difficult.. Because there are many dramas with different genres that I'd recommend to friends according to their taste or preference. And sometimes I'd recommend dramas usually based on what I recently watched. Watched too much dramas that sometimes I'd forget about them unless someone ask about the drama :pandahehe:

I had fun while reading others' drama recommendations. It did bring memories of watching the drama. :pandahappy:

• Like 4

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

1 hour ago, Just_Me said:

My favourites

- You're All Surrounded

- Chief Kim

- Partners for Justice S1 and S2

- Avengers Social Club

- Never Twice 

I love Chief Kim and Avengers Social Club! I've re-watched both, though they haven't cracked my top 5 yet, though maybe they should since I have watched them so many times. I was even part of a subbing team for Avengers Social Club.

What were Partners for Justice about? I don't remember those dramas, and there were 2 seasons of it!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

How does one ONLY choose 5? There's so many to choose from, but I'll attempt to narrow it down - 

All About My Mom - a weekender so it is gonna be long, but the story never dragged to me. Choi Tae Joon & Jo Bo Ah were my all time favorites as a young couple in this one. 

Oh My Venus - I'm currently re-watching this one for the 20th time, it's super cute & *spoiler alert* no one actually breaks up in this drama (yay!). Plus you get all the hotness that is So Ji Sub in here. 

Put Your Head On My Shoulder - A C-drama I recently discovered while browsing Netflix one fine day. If you ever want a fluffy, light drama that just makes your heart melt when you watch it...this is it. 

Easy Fortune Happy Life - An e Tw-drama that I go back to every now & then. It's cheesy and you can def tell it's older, but it's a classic for me. 

It's Okay To Not Be Okay - One of the single greatest dramas of our lifetime. No joke, the chemistry & the well thought out details in everything made this drama worthwhile. 

Honorable mentions: 

Shopping King Louis 

Because This Is My First Life 

1% of Something (KR ver) 

It Started With A Kiss 

Just Between Lovers 

I have more....I just can't think of them lol 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 11/30/2020 at 9:06 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

4. Master Sun

I probably rewatch this for the 100x times during the airing time. I think it's like a classic movie Pretty Woman, just thrown extra ghost into it. It was so refreshing that time, as the FL so quirky & unusual.

thats the ghost stories right? :zzzz:

this is the first ghost stories that i anticipate the appearance of a ghost hahaha

• Haha 4
  • 3 weeks later...