The Uncanny Counter 경이로운 소문 [S1: 2020-2021] [S2: 2023]

Tofu

Just started this and it looks promising! I'm not big on superheros, but I do like fun webtoon adaptation, so we'll see how we go. :popcorn:

Haha, I'm only 10 mins in and I see the parents have died from the truck of doom  as @Tofu and @stroppyse call it. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

2 hours ago, JenL said:

Haha, I'm only 10 mins in and I see the parents have died from the truck of doom  as @Tofu and @stroppyse call it. 

Yes, but it becomes part of the mystery rather than just a mechanic to get rid of some characters.

5 hours ago, -StrongTower- said:

Still on Ep3.

So far, I like it.

Oh good. Only 4 episodes so far. Come join the madness that is watching a drama during the broadcast and wondering a whole week about cliffhangers and teased clues!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
On 12/8/2020 at 3:19 AM, stroppyse said:

Also @eNDe and @JenL who are interested in watching this drama. Come watch with us. This drama is really good!

I've saved it in my list on Netflix so gonna find a time soon to watch it! Definitely a genre and storyline I usually would be intrigued to watch. Not comparing with other drama I've watched but Mystic Pop-up Bar was something I really chanced upon one day and love it till its ending. So probably made me wanna give The Uncanny Counter a chance too! Also Yu Jun-Sang is in it! I'll join you guys soon! haha. 

• Like 9
  • Party! 2
8 hours ago, eNDe said:

Not comparing with other drama I've watched but Mystic Pop-up Bar was something I really chanced upon one day and love it till its ending. So probably made me wanna give The Uncanny Counter a chance too!

Yes, agreed! I watched the trailer to The Uncanny Counter before it aired and thought it was really interesting. When it aired, I watched the first episode with no expectations and really enjoyed it. It reminded me so much of Mystic Pop Up Bar because I went into that one with little expectation and ended up loving it too! 

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 12/7/2020 at 11:19 AM, stroppyse said:

On 12/7/2020 at 4:15 AM, mademoiselle said:

On 12/7/2020 at 5:55 AM, LaLa said:

On 12/7/2020 at 4:15 AM, mademoiselle said:

On 12/7/2020 at 1:50 PM, Mapleoaks5 said:

On 12/6/2020 at 8:08 PM, stroppyse said:

Ahhh..sorry I don't know why I post this again:psweatduck:

I just want to drop this but make mistake

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIrpd0Tp9n6/?igshid=19ps48ht1pzys

• Like 7
  • Party! 1

Spoiler article from eps 5 . Drama hit a ratings of 6.1% nationwide - fantastic for an OCN drama :Party02:

This is translated using Papago ( so please read with caution, lol!)

https://www.ytn.co.kr/_sn/0117_202012131027089877

With the appearance of the new evil spirit Ok Ja-yeon, OCN's "Surprised Rumor," the counters faced their first crisis. In particular, Kim Se-jeong's hidden past has turned around, taking off her veil, and viewers' reactions to the storm-like development have exploded.

The 5th episode of OCN's original Saturday-Saturday episode, which aired on the 12th, recorded an average 6.1 percent viewer rating (based on Nielsen Korea).

On this day, a new demon threatening the counters appeared for the first time, drawing attention. Baek Hyang-hee (Ok Ja-yeon), a third-stage evil spirit like Ji Cheong-shin (Lee Hong-nae). Baek Hyang-hee stole the eye with a gruesome evil deed that killed her husband, who was allergic to peanuts, by feeding him a peanut-mixed drink. Especially, Baek Gui (Baek Hyang-hee's evil spirit) in the mirror and Baek Hyang-hee outside the mirror said, "The only friend who knows you better than anyone else. I've been inside you ever since you killed your ex, "he said, smiling grotesquely, facing each other, enough to cause extreme tension.

Spoiler

202012131027089877_img_00.jpg

Meanwhile, Baek Hyang-hee's hand touched one body and said, "How does it feel to be alive alone? "My mom and dad are dying and my younger brother is dying, and you are the only one who has lived alone," she said, shocking by reading her veiled past. As such, Baek Hyang-hee showed off her strong presence as an eerie female demon from her first appearance, raising questions about future developments.

Spoiler

202012131027089877_img_01.jpg

On this day, the warm heart of the So Mun that consoled Hana, who was in a mental breakdown, especially after being caught in the past he wanted to hide, drew attention. The method chosen by So Mun to comfort her was to grill pork belly, which he knew was a way to control his mind by thinking about the sound of pork belly being baked on charcoal.

In addition, the So Mun goes, "I saw my mom and dad dying in front of my eyes. My mom and dad died because of me. I didn't listen to him," he said, speaking candidly of his pain and touching one wound, warming up the hearts of the two.

Spoiler

202012131027089877_img_02.jpg

Meanwhile, Gamotak (Yoo Joon-sang) found a clue to his last disappearance with the help of Kim Jung-young (Choi Yoon-young). In particular, he was reunited with Roh Chang-gyu (Jeon Jin-oh), a blackmailer who tried to kill him in the past, raising the tension index. Gamotak faced rumors and Hana and the demolition village service gang, whose leader was Noh Chang-gyu. When Gamotak, who witnessed death with his own eyes, was alive, Noh said, "You're definitely dead. You're dead, you bastard," Gamotak said, expressing harsh anger at Noh Chang-gyu, who knew of his past death, saying, "Was it you? You stabbed me."

In addition, some transactions were made between Shin Myung-hwi (Choi Kwang-il) and Choi Soo-ryong (Son Kang-guk), the police chief, and the order to secretly remove Ji Cheong-shin, who killed the former president , caused tension. The storm's relentless development and unpredictable twists have raised interest in the story ahead.

• Like 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

When I watch the fighting scenes, I feel like my body is aching whenever the counter or even the evil spirit got smacked or hit. I applaud the actors and actress and the stunts who have to endure the fighting scenes. It couldn't be easy to do that.

As @abs-oluteM have shared, in ep 5 we finally saw Ha Na's past because of the evil spirit (which is level 3) that can also read people's memory. We haven't got the full story but from her past, I have to take back my words about her being a possible assault victim.

*spoiler alert* (I'm sorry for not putting it under spoiler tag. It was still all black and I can't see when I type under the spoiler tag)

From Ha Na's memory, her family passed out when they were dining together. I think there's a possibility either one of her parents put poison to the food and decided for family suicide . She was fighting to stay conscious and try to save her younger sister too, but sadly she's the only survivor. I think that's why she didn't want other people to see her memories. It was a bad memories, and also she didn't want others to pity her I think. 

So Moon who was happened to overheard because they're in the same place, tried to comfort her with food, by grilling pork belly. Before their trip to catch the evil spirit in the department store, Ha Na told him that she imagined the sound grill when the pork belly was grilled to calm her nerves. That's why So Moon choose that food as a way to comfort her too. He also shares his past about witnessing his parents death in front of his eyes.

*spoiler done*

So Moon's ability to call out the ground in this episode still can't be control. He doesn't know yet how he can call it and can't call the ground by force it, without knowing how. But he can sense the evil spirit when it cross the ground, just like Ha Na who can sense it from miles away. We still have to see if in the future he will gain Ms Chu's ability to heal people or not.

I definitely can't watch this in the middle of night. It was too scary for me :pandascared:

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

Episode 5 is still really enjoyable although it didn't have as much progress as I'd hoped. So Mun still need lots of training (which we don't know whether he's working hard or not) but his new abilities are surfacing which is what makes it extra exciting - superheros obtaining power stage always is.

I suppose the show is still in its introduction stage since we've learnt about Mo Tak's past, now Ha Na and the next perhaps will be Mae Ok.

It is concerning that they all have so much trouble dealing with a Level 3 though; how are they going to handle a Level 4? So Mun is no where near ready too and I suspect he'll only channel his full power in the finale when forced to do so fighting against a Level 4, who will be the ultimate Big Boss.

Love the badass, sassy fight scenes. It's always nice & positive seeing the Good bring the Bad to justice.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

I have caught up to episode 4 . I think one of the reasons why a drama like this  in spite of  its violent & gory scenes  resonates as much as it does with viewers  is that it gives us hope. Hope that good can overcome evil. Hope that justice can be served. Of course there's nothing particularly realistic in  4 noodle shop employees having amazing physical abilities and taking down demonic forces. Nor will there be any real life daddy long legs with trillions of wons at his disposal step up to be your guardian for the day, but the show  provides a sort of feel good escapism that we need and is able to touch you at unexpected moments.

I confessed there were a  number ninja-cutting-onion scenes that put a smile on my face. The besties ( how cute are So Mun's friends) crying tears of happiness  when they found out he could walk. So Mun's grandparents witnessing the same. The trio going up to Spirit Immigration realm feistily  defending So Mun's appointment, and why he should be given a second chance. Even Mo Tak's cafe scene with the female detective ,Jeon Yeong made me a little sad for the latter , as clearly she was hurt that he had no memories of their past. ( Oh, I did not expect ahjussi Yu Jun Sang to be so fit at his age! :MewGiggle:)

I  like how we're witnessing 1st hand what it is like to be a junior counter through So Mun's experiences. The 1st lesson for So Mun is clearly that with great powers come great responsibility - these gifts and abilities cannot be used for personal revenge. But I can't blame So Mun for getting as angry as he did with those bullies because the oppression & bullying have been going on for years. Honestly , my blood was boiling with how the teacher/ school could close an eye on all that was going on , and it was worse when the parents of the bullies came defending their supposedly  "innocent" children. And unfortunately the rot in the school is but a small representation of the greater decay that is happening in Jungjin (Doesn't  this feel like Gotham City ? ). We have the gangsters doing as they please, officers blatantly corrupted & defending the criminals, a mayor who is very keen to push development projects to line his own pocket. And please don't be surprised if the land that will be used for the new development has buried unspeakable deep dark secrets over the years. It is no wonder that our Counters have been placed here because the wickedness among the people in this city provides many great hosts for the evil spirits.

What I am particularly interested in is why SM has the ability to bring in the Yung territory , and so far the only one to do so . It appeared when he was happy , and also when he was very angry. How are his emotions tied to this? It does seem like this ability is unique to him because he is the only one who was not in a comatose condition when they made him a counter. So that could perhaps explain why , he will end up being the most powerful among the 4

• Like 9
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

4 hours ago, LaLa said:

From Ha Na's memory, her family passed out when they were dining together. I think there's a possibility either one of her parents put poison to the food and decided for family suicide . She was fighting to stay conscious and try to save her younger sister too, but sadly she's the only survivor. I think that's why she didn't want other people to see her memories. It was a bad memories, and also she didn't want others to pity her I think. 

She's also suffering from survivor's guilt - hence she pushes the rest away. 

I like how the story is coming together. There's follow up with that Level 3 demon ( the one who killed the other Counter) - this young man also has his own back story & it seems sad because he doesn't get the love he craves from the man he calls his "father".  We also got to know more about HaNa's trauma and who killed Mo Tak. Mo Tak was clearly a fearless & principled detective, so I am not surprised that people would want him dead in this corrupt town. I believe Mo Tak & So Mun's parents must have been close , and were likely working on a case that involved the Mayor, hence the latter could have ordered their deaths.

Ooooo I quite like this side love story between Mo Tak and the female detective.  She's still upset that he's got no memories of them , and the relationship must have been very serious then. 

Looking forward to tonight:

• Like 8
  • Clapping Hands 1

I am only on 4 now. Will try not to be spoiled with new posts but will read the old posts. 

I would say that this is a refreshing drama. Our hero is believable as a high-schooler. He could not hide his excitement on his new found power and yet he remains a low profile lovable friend and grandson. He has his heated uncontrollable emotions when provoked but is sincere in apologizing. I really love that he is willing to face the consequences of having hit those bullies so as to end the cycle. He earned two thumbs up from me although I did think how naive he is. I was worried for a second there that the rich bias parents of those brats will squish him at the police station and am so glad he has Chairman Choi as his guardian/backing. 

It’s good that we’re seeing the side of political and corrupt police force as the background story of at least two of our Counters. I wonder if we will also see Hana and Mrs.Chu’s backstory later on. 

The violence is quite intense in this drama, so probably not everyone will like it. I do appreciate there are still some comedy laced here and there. 

Looking forward to catching up ep.5-6!

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears

Episode 6

• Love So Mun's friends so so much. I love that he relies on them being there and support him too. Him calling them and they rush to him immediately was :hearties: I was so touched and was in tears.

• No surprise there with Cheong Sin being the evil spirit that ate So Mun's parents' souls. It did cross my mind before. They would have to be his first too. How did he already know how to take souls though?

•The surprising bit is definitely how evil Sin could see them. That's the most interesting bit and really hope it gets explained. Here I am hoping So Mun would release some of his power because this boy hasn't been training hard to up his skills. LOL.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 5

I deliberately separate my previous post from this so that you can avoid spoilers. So please don't read them unless you are up to date.

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I would say that this is a refreshing drama. Our hero is believable as a high-schooler. He could not hide his excitement on his new found power and yet he remains a low profile lovable friend and grandson. He has his heated uncontrollable emotions when provoked but is sincere in apologizing.

This is what I like about this drama and So Mun too. He's so gentle and considerate. I literally went soft at heart for him when he rejected the offer because he must not die before his grand parents. Aww. And I love that he knows he's wrong and apologises immediately. Considering his life changing experience, the trauma didn't twist his faith and he remains grounded and didn't stray.

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

Episodes 5 and 6

I have really good feelings about this show and all the good press that it's now getting locally and internationally is completely deserved. It unabashedly uses a currently popular genre, does delightful things with it and gives it a Korean twist..

While the elevator scene wasn't quite on par with Capt America, it achieved a number of goals and it's also indicative of how well the show does with distributing the load among the cast. This is one of the reasons why I think so highly of this show.  Everyone has their moment in the spotlight even while there's little doubt who the star of the show is. The way the other team members define their respective relationship with Mun, the newcomer reminds me of how Joss Whedon pairs up characters both In Firefly and in his Avenger movies when they interact and propel story and character development forward in sequential, logical ways. That's quite apparent in Ep. 6 where Mun spends a great deal of time first with Mo-tak, the ex-cop. Here he explores his detective propensities and Mo-tak is happy to have a willing and observant sidekick. MT is also spurred on to dig into the events of 7 years ago partly because of Mun's timely appearance. Mun has a need and playing out his need for a father figure that he has found in MT who in turn is happy to be the surrogate father that Mun unconsciously craves. Both lost something seven years earlier that they find in each other. Working in the noodle shop isn't exactly exciting work for a former detective who by all appearances was good at his old job. (Maybe too good) MT might have lost his memories but he has lost the impulse to seek out the truth and run after bad guys.

It's the same when Mun spends time with Ha-na who seems to be a closed book to the others but she's more amenable to opening up to him. Possibly because they're closer in age and have the same past experiences. When she wanders around her old neighbourhood, Mun follows her and through that we're privy to snapshots of her tragic past. Mun who stands up to bullies and is kind to animals also has a soft spot for homeless kids squatting in abandoned houses. The setting reminds HN of happier days but it also a prelude to a major confrontation with Taesin Inc. That land/area must hold a certain value for the big people at Taesin and Daejong Construction (?) for redevelopment purposes. Little by little the pieces of the puzzle are coming together. The deaths from 7 years earlier, the attack on Mo-tak then, the killing of young pregnant woman and the gruesome death of Chairman Jeon. To complicate matters further... demons are part of the equation. (So like it or not, interference in human affairs is a given)

Ha-na too is a guide and mentor. A different one. We see what she's capable of and for Mun to look at the face of his greatest horror and mine the facts. It will be interesting indeed to find out how the demon who is purportedly only in his memory can take on a life of its own.

Although I am not the kind of person who has to watch this drama during the day, (the horror elements are more comic bookish than terrifying to me), the shopping spree spirit conversing having a gleeful chat via the bathroom mirror came across a tad creepy. It's a supernatural explanation for schizophrenia and dissociative personality disorder. Ironically before the advent of psychoanalysis, what is now diagnosed often as schizophrenia was credited to demon possession.

Aspects of the show does remind me of A Korean Odyssey (more than Mystic Pop-up Bar) at least during its first half... when the show was actually good. The language used by Detective Kim and her sidekick is suggestive as they survey the horrific damage done to Chairman Jeon. "Human beings can be worse than the devil." The demon-possessed here also set the stage for allegories about evil having no particular appearance but can take on any kind of appearance even an attractive one. Evil is hidden. It prowls around. It devours unsuspecting souls to bolster its insatiable appetites. In this regard, it takes a leaf out of A Journey to the West... which chronicles Sun Wukong's exploits in saving the absurdly naive Tripitaka from demons of all stripes.

I imagine that Sin (bald hoodie serial killer) is an unacknowledged maybe even illegitimate  older son who got his hands dirty once too often and became a habitable host for the demon that now resides in him. The part of him that's not completely corrupted craves for a relationship with his father like a ten-year-old but the irony is that the father who destroyed him by exploiting their relationship was destroyed by the son he had a hand in turning into a monster.

It's a precautionary tale of how evil can take hold of someone to the point that they have no inhibitions left even for their nearest and dearest when their own survival is on the line.

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Finished 5. 

Man, I literally jumped when the evil spirit within the gold-digger greeted her. Not describing it to avoid spoiling for others, but those who have watched know which scene I am talking about. She is (or rather they are) really evil, and became good friends so fast. The fight in the elevator was satisfying to watch. I couldn’t imagine though how much it would have hurt to be thrown onto those handle bars, right around the waist or lower back, can really break your back 😓

I really love to see that SM cares a lot for kids younger than him. And it’s nice that he tried to lift up Hana’s mood, and she in turn opens up to him more and kinder when training him. Loving all the action scenes. Been a while since I am excited watching an action drama, enough to be fist-pumping and cheering our heroes. 

Just realized SM’s bestie JY also acted in SKY Castle. No wonder she looks so familiar. Glad that the young actors from that dramas are getting more and better roles. 

Btw, I read a comment from elsewhere that the title Amazing Rumor is probably more like The Amazing So Mun, just like the marvel hero The Amazing Spider-Man. 

So who will be the big bad evil-spirit? For me, I think that Mayor Shin can be a good candidate. Our Counters conversation indicates that the evil spirits can switch hosts, so maybe the spirit from Bald Shin will go into Mayor Shin’s body. His son already seems like a host many evil spirits will be happy to take over. 

• Like 7
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

I loved this last 2 episodes! I love this drama! The story feels so deliberately plotted out and the characters are all so fleshed out or are being fleshed out. Love how our team of Counters grow stronger and stronger as a family, though I keep hoping that SM's friends will be brought more into the fold as well. Still, it's nice that the counters appreciate how close SM and his friends are.

Want to write more, but not enough time, so will be back later to post properly!

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Ep.6 is so good! Love the reveal about the whereabouts of his parents. It’s wicked that Shin can see Hana in SM’s memory! Oh I wished SM did not just punched Shin although I can understand why he was so infuriated. I can’t even guess what consequences will follow because of the alterations within his memory. That last scene when the episode froze as the ending, you can see his raging anger so well. 

JBG is such a good actor. While he was looking through the box containing his parents stuff, you can see his eyes glistening with tears as he remembers his parents fondly. 

I also love when in his agony, SM actually called up his besties, sobbing, baring his weakness and asking them for help. I cried watching their close friendship. 

Preview is interesting. We have another evil spirit in the suited up Noh. And what’s with the uncle of Hana? Who would that be?? Noh?? Was her family also killed by poisoned food? Because I remembered seeing the parents and sister vomit. 

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Hello! I'll have to backtrack and read everyone's comments when I get time! Been catching up on a few dramas that I didn't watch live, so late coming into this one and trying to avoid major spoilers...but just finished episode 2 and I'm enjoying the humour and webtoon/comic book style of the drama

Episode 1 & 2

- Can I just say I am loving the uniforms? Red tracksuits are so mint :cool:

-2020 dramas: Everyone' parents die in the first episode of the drama, so wasn't surprised at the truck of doom coming out of nowhere. Also sad was the death of their counter friend :letalQQ:

-Also really liking the main character and his friends. It was so sweet of his friends to try to protect him from the bullies. :wow: The friends and the high school setting, supernatural elements and quirkiness is giving me like Stranger Things / I am Not Ok with This vibes.

-Also loving that the counters run a famous word-of-mouth noodle store - This reminds me of that Korean film Extreme Job where these undercover cops, while on a mission staking out some criminals, run a fried chicken joint and it becomes super successful :MewGiggle:

-I'm really liking the humour in this series. Things that have made me LOL (literally): Mae Ok doing that handwave and saying "welcome" to So Mun, Mo Tak telling So Mun if he doesn't become a counter he'll have to line up in the long queue for noodles, the terrible composite sketches for all the evil spirits (I laughed soooo hard here!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:) and all of the counters getting knocked down by Ha-na when they accidentally touched her...Also laughed at So Mun looking at Ha-na through the gaze of a teenage boy when she's doing her stretches and then getting beat to a pulp :pandaheadstomp:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Heart Eyes 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

4 hours ago, JenL said:

- Can I just say I am loving the uniforms? Red tracksuits are so mint 

It is. But I actually am worried that the color stands out too much when they want their identity/activity hidden 😆

I am waiting to see if the permed hair has any meaning or not, or is that part of their “uniform” 😝

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

MTDzeiV.gif