The Uncanny Counter 경이로운 소문 [S1: 2020-2021] [S2: 2023]

Tofu

Today's episode they showed us how the sin(evil spirit) could communicate with hana and so mun. It actually made sense. 

I so see that the evil spirit that is in sin right now is going to possess or go into the mayor son. They met in today's episode. 

Hana's uncle is one greedy and bad dude. 

Edited by joccu__
  • Like 8
  • Insightful 1

F1, crime/thiller drama and coffee addict!

FINLAND!

:Uwu: drama continues to create ratings record for OCN!!! Can't wait to watch later

https://star.mt.co.kr/stview.php?no=2020122007595084492

OCN Saturday and Sunday's original'Amazing Rumors' broadcasted on the 19th (Director Yoo Sun-dong/Writer Yeo Jina/Production Studio Dragon, Neo Entertainment/16 episodes in total) is a national average of 7.7 in the pay platform rating that integrates cable, IPTV, and satellite. % Peaked at 8.4%. In addition, the audience rating of 2549 men and women, which is the target of OCN, recorded an average of 6.4% and a maximum of 6.9% for the second consecutive week, and took the first place in all channels including terrestrial broadcasting for two consecutive weeks. (Provided by Nielsen Korea)

2020122007595084492_1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Awesome 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

LOL... we tried so hard to analyze the red tracksuit uniform and in ep.6 they changed it to gray :laugh:

So far I’m still loving every single episode. It’s OCN, so I like that they’re not withholding the blood and gore. Although the bad guys sometimes get the upper hand, I love that very quickly our heroes countered it back. I love that our “oh-no!” is usually very quickly followed by a “Yes!” and a fist pump, like the ending scene of ep.6. And how awesome it is that in next episode, our team is going to get a new SUV. 

What I appreciate the most from our team is that they share information with one another. Very good teamwork and not one trying to do things alone for the sake of other people. They really understand the danger in not working as a team.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

21 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

LOL... we tried so hard to analyze the red tracksuit uniform and in ep.6 they changed it to gray 

This what I also thought when I saw their new grey tracksuit :laugh:

I think the evil spirit Shin has gone to level 4, don't he? He has killed lots of people. Even though the host Cheon Shin still have control of his body and mind, just in a split of second the spirit will take over the body and can go easily kill people. 

9 hours ago, joccu__ said:

I so see that the evil spirit that is in sin right now is going to possess or go into the mayor son. They met in today's episode. 

The mayor son is the possible next host or the next villain if our counter team eliminated Shin in the future episode. I only read few starting chapters of the webtoon, and in there it was explained the mayor son was the youngest son of the mayor but unwanted. That's why evil Shin said that both Cheong Shin and the mayor son are the same people. The spirit can sense the similar evil feelings that they might have. 

More appearance of sugar daddy of Counter team! The unaired jjajangmyeon date with Ms Chu. Ms Chu talk that she feels frustrated with Mo Tak that seems to keep chasing the bad guys who stabbed him and interfere with human affairs. Then Chairman Choi start to talk about his son before Ms Chu recognize the young boy who comes to eat with his mother. It's the same boy whom they saved in ep 2. She's happy to see them in well being and paid for their food.

Aww why they cut this from the original episode :(

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

AHhh @LaLa I was waiting to see that jjajangmyeon  date scene.  

@ktcjdrama I agree with you. I love the teamwork here & that no one has a big chip on their shoulder. 

Eps 6 did not have any big plot movement but there were some hints of what's to come. That mayor's son / school bully will be the next one to be possessed. What I think they are going for here is to have a group of villains like how we have our avengers / counters here. Ultimately the big bad in this show isn't even these level 3 demons or whatever you call them - they are just tools .  It is the mayor & the CEO of Taesin that the team will ultimately need to bring down. That isn't easy to do given how they've bought over the entire town , more or less. The reservoir perhaps has some other deep dark secrets apart from the body of the girl who died-  Mo Tak & SM's parents were investigating this just before the accident that killed SM's folks . 

I really love this scene...like how all the characters get their moment in the spotlight

299c807a-73a7-484f-9ccf-aabfa61682e6.jpg

Stills for today...Hana & her awful uncle

202012201800061889_d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

I have to say that I really appreciate how the women are written and portrayed here. It seems to be the fashion in many recent dramas apparently that female leads in crime dramas have to be over-the-top, wacky and use disproportionate violence as if it demonstrates their strength as women. Often it's played for laughs but maybe I'm getting old I'm feeling unimpressed. But here they're all relatively sane, well-fleshed out and show a high level of circumspection. while keeping their nurturing instincts all intact. It's a relief. I especially love what Yum Hye-ran is doing as Chul Mae-ok. She's warm and compassionate as a rule but when she bares her teeth the bad guys had better be prepared for the blowback. 

Jungjin increasingly reminds me of Batman's Gotham. Instead of Arkham Asylum with its gallery of supervillains we have evil spirits lurking about in their human hosts. I am struck by the severity of the violence particularly in Episode 7. Ji Cheong-sin is certainly the primary example. He's well and truly out of control. But Ha-na's uncle was over-the-top violent as well. There seems to be a corresponding escalation of violence as the corruption goes deeper. To me the most reprehensible individual is the chief of police. He is supposed to be a bulwark to all of this but he's turned into a glorified overpaid cleaner for the mob. 

The inclusion of Detective Kim Jeong-yeong as part of the team was bound to happen at some point but I am always surprise at how quickly the show moves things along. Secrets don't remain secrets for very long. There are no major twists... the bad guys operate freely and flout the laws due to help from various sources. But the degree of Mayor Shin's ambition was further exposed so early in the piece which suggests to me that all the so-called "human affairs" can't be so easily disentangled from the demon-hunting. Ji Cheong-sin through his work for the Tae-sin Group has become a ripe host for a powerful demon. Ha-na's demon possessed uncle is also part of the Tae-sin cronyism protection racket. He walks free and very literally gets away with murder because he has the right lawyer who knows how to play the system. All courtesy of Tae-sin Inc. 

Tae-sin's continued consolidation means that corruption contributes directly or indirectly to more demon activity. I wonder if the demon in Shin Hyeon-uk has been purposefully laying dormant or if he's just completely unaware that he's been possessed while carrying on with his bullying activities.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

10 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

LOL... we tried so hard to analyze the red tracksuit uniform and in ep.6 they changed it to gray 

Hahaha, I know! It reminds me of when we analyzed the shorts in the DDSSLLS thread. :laugh:

9 hours ago, LaLa said:

I think the evil spirit Shin has gone to level 4, don't he? He has killed lots of people. Even though the host Cheon Shin still have control of his body and mind, just in a split of second the spirit will take over the body and can go easily kill people. 

I think so too. And if not, he's definitely almost there. Thanks for sharing that video too! Even though it didn't make it to the episode, I really enjoyed watching it too. I'm glad to see the boy and his mother doing well. =)

I haven't watched today's episode yet but it seems like they find out what the "reservoir" really is. 

• Like 8

I love the pacing on this drama, especially since there is a high degree of gore and evil. I appreciate that it doesn't linger on the suffering and evil, but gives us warmth and triumphs over evil in good doses as well. I hate it when the good guys are the ones who are constantly being beaten down and outsmarted by the evil guys, even if I know that the good guys will eventually win out.

As for the episodes this weekend, HN's uncle was responsible for taking over HN's father's business which led to their ruin. They explained it as TaeShin Group (or whatever they called themselves when they were a loan shark business) basically lending out money to businesses, then controlling all the vendors who supply those businesses so that the debtor businesses can't make their loan payment, at which point TS would take the business. And, HN's uncle was the one who seems to have set HN's father up and then took over the business. Per HN's uncle, HN's parents committed double suicide by overdosing on pills, leaving HN and her younger sister behind. However, the younger sister may also be dead given that HN apologizes to her memory of her younger sister for being alive. Given that HN has no money, if the younger sister did become deathly ill, I don't know if she would have been able to afford medical care anyway. Also, if the younger sister was alive, I wonder that MO wouldn't have tried to heal her?

Anyway, the uncle was clearly a bully long before he killed off his employee Han Seung Woo, but it may be his murder of HSW that led to the evil spirit taking possession of him? Only say that because the uncle was amazed at his new found strength when he was nearly killing the second employee that the Counters interrupted.

The ending of ep 8 is very scary with its implication that Shin is looking for SM even as the Counters and the police have been searching for Shin. Plus, I'm worried about what Shin might have done to SM's grandparents?

I'm still moved by the loving ties that SM has, with his grandparents, with his friends, and with his Counters family as well. I also appreciate that the drama continues to show significant scenes with SM and his friends since that is a part of his normal teenage life.

Plus, it's become a fight about power and corruption and the willingness to harm people and the environment in the evil people's pursuit of money and power. It's weird how the evil humans are actually scarier than the demons. Only humans can think at the scale of causing mass casualty disasters.

I find it interesting also that aside from a few truly evil people like the mayor, Choi Tae Shin, and Noh Hyang Gu, the other humans are shown as being compromised by their own petty ambitions or held hostage by threats to themselves or their livelihoods. For instance, the police chief who does the will of the mayor and his cohorts is corrupt and does the bidding of evil, however, the police chief is still insisting on certain boundaries such as not killing his officers. So, is he really evil or is he just very weak and cowardly who at point saw an easy way to gain some power and money and didn't realize the price that he would have to keep paying?

Okay, I'll stop for the time being since I know others may not have watched ep 7 and 8 yet, other than to say, I really love this drama and find myself trying to watch it as soon as it drops. :)

9 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I have to say that I really appreciate how the women are written and portrayed here. It seems to be the fashion in many recent dramas apparently that female leads in crime dramas have to be over-the-top, wacky and use disproportionate violence as if it demonstrates their strength as women. Often it's played for laughs but maybe I'm getting old I'm feeling unimpressed. But here they're all relatively sane, well-fleshed out and show a high level of circumspection. while keeping their nurturing instincts all intact. It's a relief. I especially love what Yum Hye-ran is doing as Chul Mae-ok. She's warm and compassionate as a rule but when she bares her teeth the bad guys better be prepared for the blowback. 

So true! Even in dramas I like, the heroines are usually written as either being weak or being too over the top. I love HN and MO in this drama. I even like the police lieutenant who is doing her job with determination to protect and to serve despite knowing that her higher ups are interfering in the course of justice.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Per HN's uncle, HN's parents committed double suicide by overdosing on pills, leaving HN and her younger sister behind. However, the younger sister may also be dead given that HN apologizes to her memory of her younger sister for being alive.

The younger sister died together with the parents. Only HN survived when the poisoning happened. It was in ep.5 during the fight in elevator when the evil shopper touched HN and read her memory. 

I'm worried about what Shin might have done to SM's grandparents?

I’m worried too after watching ep.8. Not just by Shin, but by the younger Noh since he knows where SM lives. But I think the show will spare us (and SM) from that heartache of watching his grandparents be harmed. This show seems intent in sending a message of hope and healing despite the fight with the evil people and demons. 

the police chief who does the will of the mayor and his cohorts is corrupt and does the bidding of evil, however, the police chief is still insisting on certain boundaries such as not killing his officers. So, is he really evil or is he just very weak and cowardly who at point saw an easy way to gain some power and money and didn't realize the price that he would have to keep paying?

I believe the evil guys have something on him which left him no choice but to do their biddings. Could it be about his family? It was in ep.7, conversation between the Noh brothers. He has always been shown not a willing and happy participant. I somehow feel that he will be redeemed (or even sacrificed?) because he seems to have history with Kim and MT. Used to be friends? Until he changed maybe? 

Another thought... Is the missing Kim related to Detective Kim? What is with the DNA sample request? 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 8

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

While the show doesn't do anything remarkably original, what it does do, it does extremely well. What's more I think it does that thing of getting the balance exactly right as well as managing to get the best out of the actors in their respective roles. It shouldn't be so hard you'd think but it's cheering that this show doesn't fall into the trap of giving more than it needs to because it knows exactly what it wants to be. The best thing about the drama is that it gives me exactly what I want... even when I didn't know I wanted or needed it, striking the right mix between what's humorous and emotionally satisfying. The script IMO is really the star of the show because all the disparate parts just come together in a way that makes perfect sense. 

When the show plays up Mo-tak as something of a techno illiterate... it's a constant reminder that he's a man in search of his past. He tries to break into Tae-in HQ but the technology confounds him. Still he manages to sail into the CEO's office unscathed. In a real enough way, he is a lost soul. But as he mows down the security detail it is reinforced that he is no longer the man he once was. The past is piece of the puzzle but he's always redfining himself as Grim Reaper who doesn't think twice about breaking the rules. His relationship with the others especially Mun is gradually defining his place in this new world which may or may not have a place for him. He is no longer a police officer or even a former police officer... he is a man with a blank slate trying to stake his claim in a world that moved on without him. Added to that are new responsibilities and loyalties which will shape his future.

I was thinking that when the show took time to feature the engineer that was murdered and give us a scene with Mun's parents' death anniversary that this isn't just about superheroes. The engineer got killed because he stood up to the violent tyrannical boss that no one dared to. Mum and Dad got killed because Dad was determined to see a case through. It is tragic that people who do the right thing don't always get their recognition and due. Sometimes they pay the ultimate price even. But the show wants us to remember them. They are fallen heroes. And the show also wants us to remember that some people don't get another chance like Mae-ok, Ha-na or Mo-tak after a close encounter with death.

The corruption racket is like all corruption rackets. There's shell corporations, money laundering, dirty cops and corrupt politicians. But the twist here is that demons feature prominently and could even be behind much of the mayor's shenanigans. He had humble beginnings and he is nakedly ambitious. His son could be possessed. He could be too. It's a power and territorial play that goes beyond human politics. There's an existential crisis looming that's bigger than bad men with a lot of money doing bad things. Is it of biblical proportions... that remains to be seen.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

4 hours ago, Tofu said:

I find it interesting that for someone as deadly as Shin, this is the wallet he carries. 

It's one of the things that made my heart break a bit for the human Shin before he became possessed by a demon. Shin carries that childish wallet because his father had given it to him way back when. Shin cherished every little thing from his father, right until the father tried to kill him and then the demon took over.

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I believe the evil guys have something on him which left him no choice but to do their biddings.

Yes, the evil guys definitely have something on the police chief to keep him in line, they mentioned that though they don't say what it is that they have.

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The corruption racket is like all corruption rackets. There's shell corporations, money laundering, dirty cops and corrupt politicians. But the twist here is that demons feature prominently and could even be behind much of the mayor's shenanigans. He had humble beginnings and he is nakedly ambitious. His son could be possessed. He could be too. It's a power and territorial play that goes beyond human politics. There's an existential crisis looming that's bigger than bad men with a lot of money doing bad things. Is it of biblical proportions... that remains to be seen.

Totally true. The evil guys are the evil guys doing what evil guys do, but this time with demon possession rampant amongst them. Though, I still aver that the totally human ones are the truly evil ones. The demon-possessed aren't controlled enough or manipulative enough, perhaps in their rush to take another life to grow stronger.

• Like 8

I just realised today that Mae Ok's partner in the spirit realm is her own son. In some ways it is comforting that she still has contact with him. I am curious what happened to them. Did they reveal it?Also I just realised that these officers in the realm are waiting for reincarnation & what the counters do will count towards their chances of getting reincarnated.

I have a bad feeling after eps 8 , that there will be a point in the drama where our Counters will lose their super-hero abilities ( especially Mo Tak & Hanna) since they have been pushing the boundaries of what they can do with their powers. 

Anyway , 2 weeks till the next episode but drama has broken OCN  ratings records again this week :Party02: 

Auto translated: https://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=202012220100160330009878&servicedate=20201221

Spoiler

While OCN's "Amazing Rumors" are gaining favorable reviews from viewers along with actor Cho Byung-kyu's runaway performance, the eighth episode of the show, which aired on the 20th, has continued to explode, recording an average of 9.3 percent (Nielsen Korea) and up to 9.9 percent.

This renewed OCN's highest ratings ever, following the 7th episode, which showed the power of Cho Byung-kyu, who leads the story solidly at the center of the play.

In the broadcast on this day, the rumor (Cho Byung-kyu) drew attention by struggling with senior counters to reveal the identity of the reservoir, the start of all events. In particular, the rumor further boosted the immersion level of the play by finding out that the number of the memo left in the notebook by So-kwon's father was the telephone pole number, and tracing the case based on the black box video.

At the end of the broadcast, the rumor gave extreme tension with the ending scene where it encountered evil ghost Ji Cheong-shin again, amplifying curiosity about the next development.This scene raised the tension to the maximum, making not only Cho Byung-kyu's eyes and facial expressions, but also viewers who watched the play with his detailed acting skills breathless.

As such, the power of Cho Byung-kyu, who transforms himself into a character in each work, is also shining in "The Wonderful Rumor." Cho Byung-kyu, who doubles viewers' immersion with a high synchro rate that seems to have ripped off a webtoon, and adds completeness to the work with a wide acting spectrum that appears as the episodes go on and on, making viewers can't take their eyes off it.

As a result, many people are paying attention to what other great performances he will show in the future.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Party! 1

@abs-oluteM

I'm not sure how wise it would be for the powers of Yung to take away Mo-tak and Ha-na's powers especially when there are such powerful demons lurking about. I suppose it is possible as some kind of punitive measure but what would that solve? But Mo-tak, Ha-na, Mae-ok and Mun were chosen for a reason and they all are interconnected in some fashion in their previous "lives". It is no accident that Mo-tak was a colleague of Mun's parents.

I personally think the problem lies with the spirit guides, Gi-ran in particular, who haven't yet made the connection between the so-called human affairs ie. Tae-sin's dirty dealings, the renegade counters and the demons. I don't see how a rigid application of the rules is helpful in this instance.

I was just reminded about recent discovery related to the dumping of toxic waste into the so-called "reservoir". I had wanted to comment on it earlier. It seemed to be a fitting addition to the litany of sins that the Tae-sin mob were already guilty of. They were in effect poisoning the water supply of Jungjin. Mae-ok's horrified comment that she'd been using that water to make her famous noodles declared loudly and clearly that this flouting of environmental regulations had all kinds of ramifications for the people of the region. 

The spread of the toxic waste to the local water supply is analogous to how the toxicity of corruption results in the general population being the net losers. It's easier to look the other way when you think corrupt politicians and greedy businessmen have nothing to do with how you live your life... until it does -- the water that you use everyday becomes a health hazard because your mayor (and by extension, local law enforcement) is complicit in disregarding your welfare. The contamination is a metaphor for how the corruption eventually seeps into every part of life. The serial killer which is now the terror of the town was birthed under such conditions. Of course this too has given various demons free rein... it's literally become the devil's playground.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

On 12/20/2020 at 7:38 PM, ktcjdrama said:

I know right!! I laughed when watching because I was thinking about our conversation here :laugh:

On 12/20/2020 at 8:16 PM, LaLa said:

The mayor son is the possible next host or the next villain if our counter team eliminated Shin in the future episode. I only read few starting chapters of the webtoon, and in there it was explained the mayor son was the youngest son of the mayor but unwanted. That's why evil Shin said that both Cheong Shin and the mayor son are the same people. The spirit can sense the similar evil feelings that they might have. 

Ah that explains he greeting at the convenience store! But I did feel that the son was extra evil. Like on sense of remorse for bullying and definitely a strong sense of disregard for the law...or being above the law, just like his dad. :pandarage2:

On 12/21/2020 at 7:22 AM, stroppyse said:

I love the pacing on this drama, especially since there is a high degree of gore and evil. I appreciate that it doesn't linger on the suffering and evil, but gives us warmth and triumphs over evil in good doses as well. I hate it when the good guys are the ones who are constantly being beaten down and outsmarted by the evil guys, even if I know that the good guys will eventually win out.

Yes, totally agree with this! The pacing of this drama is amazing. So far everything has been consistent and balanced. I think a lot of Kdrama tend to give the bad guys an upper hand which does make the fight more hardcore, but can really anger you because the sense of injustice is too strong. (And in some ways that is unrealistic too since good guys do win half the time!) I think this drama does well to balance the fight, but in a way that is believable too. The good guys wield their power, but it's still a tough fight and they still have to work hard to have a chance against the baddies :BulbaOWO::CharmanderYay:

The ending of ep 8 is very scary with its implication that Shin is looking for SM even as the Counters and the police have been searching for Shin. Plus, I'm worried about what Shin might have done to SM's grandparents?

Yep, I felt it was very ominous that the police passed SM's house as the 3 of them were exiting and Shin was notified as being in the neighbourhood :lettalKWA:

I'm still moved by the loving ties that SM has, with his grandparents, with his friends, and with his Counters family as well. I also appreciate that the drama continues to show significant scenes with SM and his friends since that is a part of his normal teenage life.

Yes, I am loving the friendships and family bonds. I also like that there isn't a weird romance between his friends, at least so far. The friendship is also strong in that they trust SM even though they know he has his secrets. I hate when they have a falling out because of secrets which can't be revealed. So far they have his back and support him unconditionally!

It's weird how the evil humans are actually scarier than the demons. Only humans can think at the scale of causing mass casualty disasters.

Nah, watch enough zombie films and you come to realise humans are the worst! It's always the humans you have to watch out for when there's zombies/ monsters/ demons because the creatures are purely evil to your face...but humans...humans are weak-hearted and can change their minds or pretend to be good with ulterior motives. We're literally the worst :pandaevil::laugh:

On 12/21/2020 at 12:06 PM, ktcjdrama said:

I believe the evil guys have something on him which left him no choice but to do their biddings. Could it be about his family? It was in ep.7, conversation between the Noh brothers. He has always been shown not a willing and happy participant. I somehow feel that he will be redeemed (or even sacrificed?) because he seems to have history with Kim and MT. Used to be friends? Until he changed maybe? 

I agree, I think the police chief has a secret or has struck a bargain with them which is why he's being such a coward. But he also looks tired rather than gleeful with everything he does. It feels like he's on a tight leash. :thinking:

On 12/18/2020 at 10:22 AM, Tofu said:

Yes, he does! I'm sure he is a great person in real life but he plays that type of sleazy character so well. 

RE: Jun's dad/ the mayor in this series...haha Yes, I meant the actor is probably a nice person with good morals in real life....but damn he does have a bad guy face and can pull off bad guy a little too well :laugh:

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

On 12/21/2020 at 3:19 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

While the show doesn't do anything remarkably original, what it does do, it does extremely well. What's more I think it does that thing of getting the balance exactly right as well as managing to get the best out of the actors in their respective roles. It shouldn't be so hard you'd think but it's cheering that this show doesn't fall into the trap of giving more than it needs to because it knows exactly what it wants to be. The best thing about the drama is that it gives me exactly what I want... even when I didn't know I wanted or needed it, striking the right mix between what's humorous and emotionally satisfying. The script IMO is really the star of the show because all the disparate parts just come together in a way that makes perfect sense. 

Yep, I have to agree! I think this show doesn't introduce anything entirely different to what I've seen before. I was a little puzzled in episode 1 because I was expecting something grand with the forces of evil etc. But that's also the beauty of the drama. Instead of trying to be experimental, I think this show has done an excellent job of refining and sharpening the webtoon. It has struck an amazing balance between pacing, character development/relationships and action - you're right, humour and emotional satisfaction rank so highly in this drama and I love it :BulbaOWO::hearties: 

On 12/21/2020 at 3:19 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

The engineer got killed because he stood up to the violent tyrannical boss that no one dared to. Mum and Dad got killed because Dad was determined to see a case through. It is tragic that people who do the right thing don't always get their recognition and due. Sometimes they pay the ultimate price even. But the show wants us to remember them. They are fallen heroes. And the show also wants us to remember that some people don't get another chance like Mae-ok, Ha-na or Mo-tak after a close encounter with death.

This element of the drama is so realistic: Life's not fair - There's often a high price for being the good guy and sometimes it really makes you think that no good deed goes unpunished. Whistleblowers in real life definitely get this sort of treatment, demons or not and I think it's good to highlight this in media, whether it's the news or fictional TV shows....But I do think that it's important to show that fallen heroes save people and those people go on to pay things forward and to live in peace thanks to them :letalQQ::heart:

On 12/21/2020 at 9:09 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I just realised today that Mae Ok's partner in the spirit realm is her own son. In some ways it is comforting that she still has contact with him. I am curious what happened to them. Did they reveal it?Also I just realised that these officers in the realm are waiting for reincarnation & what the counters do will count towards their chances of getting reincarnated.

I have a bad feeling after eps 8 , that there will be a point in the drama where our Counters will lose their super-hero abilities ( especially Mo Tak & Hanna) since they have been pushing the boundaries of what they can do with their powers. 

Me too!!! I feel like I've paid attention during this drama and only just realised this was her son!! She seemed a bit sad when she spoke about him in the past so I figured he was not fully in the human world. But how he is her counter partner, I am confused!

I do feel like the power loss will happen too...and probably at an inconvenient time too when they need their powers the most. I hope it won't have dire consequences though! :lettalKWA:

On 12/21/2020 at 10:15 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

The spread of the toxic waste to the local water supply is analogous to how the toxicity of corruption results in the general population being the net losers. It's easier to look the other way when you think corrupt politicians and greedy businessmen have nothing to do with how you live your life... until it does -- the water that you use everyday becomes a health hazard because your mayor (and by extension, local law enforcement) is complicit in disregarding your welfare.

Me: But doesn't he have to use that water too? :thinking: Have fun drinking dirt water, mayor! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

@abs-oluteM @JenL The first hint of MO being the mother is when WiGen was talking to the guy in the record room. She mentioned she felt bad towards SM, and he replied what about me then, who dragged my mother into this. Yes, I am also curious how and when he became the spirit realm partner to counters on earth. I hope we get to see it later on in the show. We’ve known the other three’s backstory, except for MO. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Episodes 7 & 8

-I thought it was interesting how Shin could travel between the memory and future present time. He gripped the phone when he did it though...wonder if it was significant for the time-travelling? :thinking:

-I have to say I was confused why Shin didn’t kill the child version of SM, since he clearly knew it was him and he knew he was in the car. HN also cautioned SM not to change things in the past which meant it was possible? I don't know if this was explained clearly...but please explain to me if you know! :thinking:

-The bromance between MT and SM is so cute. I liked that MT opened his arms to give SM a hug and he dodged it, causing MT to say “you killed my love!" :laugh:

-My favourite humorous part was when the female cop asked MT where these people came from and his answer was: A noodle house. He then proceeded to explain all their positions in the noodle house. Such on point humour :BulbaOWO:

-Another funny point I really appreciated was MO asking to see MT’s scars before beating up those gangsters. They definitely were not expecting the rage of an older lady who had seen her friend's injuries, that's for sure! :eeeee:

-I was really scared for that convenience store guy who encountered Shin. In a weird way the evil mayor’s son saved him by being there, even though that guy is the face of evil for the younger characters :lettalKWA:

-Yep, I was definitely confused about how the spirit counter partner, Suho could be MO's son. Maybe it was a deal or something she made with the counters in order to agree to be a counter?

-Hahna’s uncle was so evil - taunting her about her family when he was the source of their depression and suicide :pandarage2:

-Haha the golf balls were so random. Did I miss something about why they made him eat golf balls and leave him on a golf course? Or is it because golf balls really hurt for punishment?

-I have to say that I like that the evil spirits get eaten alive in hell or wherever. It looks painful, so it's satisfying to know they meet a nasty demise :heiboi:

-It was a sad irony that the young guy who stood up to HN's uncle worked so hard to get the lanyard, only to be killed by it. I think it's also a wider metaphor for some people who suffer so much just to get a paycheck from greedy and abusive employers :letalQQ:

-haha I loved how the Sugar daddy counter said "Hi cutie" to SM who was unfazed by it :laugh:

-The scene with HN's sister was so sad and I think it showed HN's survivor's guilt so well - it's harder sometimes to be the one still left behind :cry:

-Crazy female demon is terrifying. I was going to say that the counters saying that sometimes people went to jail without having the demons removed would be strange...they would have to be weak because look what that female demon did to the officers! :pandascared:

-I love the friends so much and am happy so far that there's no awkward love story. I like the way the family and friends interact as well. You can literally feel the closeness and long history of friendship. I'm hoping that none of them are in danger after the break though! :psweatduck:

-Also wanted to say seeing the SBS drama award ad with Jo Byung Kyu and Park Eun Bin...his character is so different to his Hot Stove League character, but he's done so well and really gone from strength to strength in his acting and project choices. :hearties:

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 4

45 minutes ago, JenL said:

-Another funny point I really appreciated was MO asking to see MT’s scars before beating up those gangsters. They definitely were not expecting the rage of an older lady who had seen her friend's injuries, that's for sure! 

And seeing MT obediently pointed to each of them, but didn’t even get to the last one before MO already turned towards the thugs to strike them :laugh:

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

MTDzeiV.gif

24 minutes ago, Tofu said:

OCN is planning on having a second season, set to film in September 2021 with a possible air date of early 2022. :duckhearts:

I love hearing this kind of news for dramas that deserve turning into a running series which is rare for kdrama but something I'm so used to with western dramas. So frustrating when I find a kdrama I really like but it's the end of it. haha. 

On another note, since this drama is based on its webtoon, do they follow exactly? I rarely watch webtoon-based kdrama and the last one I watched, Rugal, felt like it was missing something and I couldn't enjoy it despite a good cast. Similarly, both have characters being given a second chance to live. So I'm glad that The Uncanny Counter has been awesome! Perhaps it's the Counters teamwork that is believable, reliable and most of all...they sincerely enjoy being together, doing things together.  

Edited by eNDe
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 3
9 hours ago, Tofu said:

BTS for episode 7 and 8. It seems like the day they aired the drama, they were already shooting the reservoir scene. 

It's nice to see everyone plus the evil characters have fun on set. 

Ahhh, these BTS videos of them are soooooo cute :wow:

And I forget how far along they always are when the drama actually airs. :lettalKWA:

I think if I was an actor I'd love to play the bad guy. So much more fun to act...and in real life, you're still part of the crew too.

22 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Merry Christmas from the Counters

Thanks for the share! These are such cute Christmas pics!

Merry Christmas Uncanny Counter watchers :) :hearties:

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Party! 1