The Uncanny Counter 경이로운 소문 [S1: 2020-2021] [S2: 2023]

Tofu

Wow, OCN are so nice to English sub a lot of their behind the scenes. Maybe it's because this drama is so popular. I just spent an hour watching all the cute clips.

Hahaha, also their advice is not the best, but all so funny :laugh: And Cast Chemistry is so amazing. Really liking their dynamic off screen as well as on it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

7 hours ago, Just_Me said:

It's seems Hana's uncle used to be nice person..or at least he looks really nice to his nieces and have good relationship with Hana family

I wonder if they will touch on it a bit in the next episode or if this is like the meal scene they cut of MW and JM? Nevertheless, it's good to see that, at one point, he wasn't all that evil.  

• Like 7

I can't see the video for this ...is it a new cut?

OCN so proud of their son for winning at the SBS Awards

New stills ...why are they dancing?

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=438&aid=0000032280

202101012898_20210101083543900.png?type=

Accompanying article translated with papago :MewGiggle:

Spoiler

The production team of "Amazing Rumor" unveiled the stills of "Noodles House Counters Dance Challenge" by Cho Byung-kyu (Sumun-myeon), Yoo Jun-sang (Gamotak), Kim Se-jung (Do Hana), and Yeom Hye -ran (Choo Mae-ok). Serving Cho Byung-kyu and Kim Se-jung, Yoo Joon-sang, who specializes in vegetable care, and Yeom Hye-ran, the chef of Myeongin Force, are enjoying the dance time in front of the guests.

In the released still, Cho Byung-kyu is participating in the dance challenge with a big deer's eyes and an excited look, while Yoo Joon-sang, with a solemn expression on his face, is performing a pistol dance with a tray in one hand . Kim Se-jeong also enjoys dancing as if she is immersed in a trance atmosphere, which stimulates the curiosity of viewers.

In particular, Yeom Hye-ran, a "healing power" cannot control her excitement enough to cause the shoulder dance of the viewer, so she sweeps her eyes. With a bowl in one hand and a ladle in one hand, he is showing off his extraordinary excitement class, and guests also smile at the unexpected event of a noodle restaurant in front of their eyes.

The production team of OCN's "Amazing Rumor" said, "Counterz will perform a dance that will make viewers laugh following the cider's move to fight evil spirits.Please keep an eye out for it as it will give us another thrilling and exhilarating nuclear event. "

• Like 6

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

On 12/21/2020 at 6:09 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I have a bad feeling after eps 8 , that there will be a point in the drama where our Counters will lose their super-hero abilities ( especially Mo Tak & Hanna) since they have been pushing the boundaries of what they can do with their powers. 

Aiks , maybe my fears will come true .

urggg . I saw @LaLa ‘s explanation of the preview here 

• Like 6

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Oh no! About the most recent episode in the spoiler because it's a spoiler.

Spoiler

So, even though SM didn't technically get enough warnings to be dismissed as a Counter, Wigen steps up to say that he should be dismissed as a Counter anyway. So, SM will no longer be a Counter in the next episode.

And, actually, I totally understand why Wigen would suggest that. SM has been brash and headstrong, and has used his powers for personal reasons. However, the Counters have a specific job to do, not to fulfill personal agendas. Even in the preview, SM argues desperately for his job because he has to find his mother and father, indicating that again, he's wanting it for personal reasons with full intentions of using it to further his own agenda.

The next episode is going to be hard to watch, though, as it seems SM will be beaten up again by the Mayor's jerk of a son, and SM won't be able to protect himself without the Counter strength.

I assume that SM will somehow win back Wigen's trust and be accepted as a Counter again? Though I would think that they would have erased his memory when they stopped him from being a Counter. Anyway, we'll see. This is an interesting but believable twist to the story.

Wonder where they'll take it next, especially if Shin is gathering together an army of demons.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wow, what an interesting twist at the end there! I guess it should have been expected because they had been warned many times prior that they would be stripped of their powers if they continue to use it for unrelated things. I just did not see the suggestion from Wigen coming. I do understand why she suggested it though. SM learned that he can alter the territory to his benefit if he gets to a certain emotional state. While he was doing that, it affected Wigen -- she was disappearing. I hope we get some explanation why this was happening to her though. 

I felt like my heart shattered just watching that scene of Shin piercing SM's hand with that piece of glass. I was on the edge of my seat as I watched MO tried to heal SM too. I was getting a bit worried that his injuries may be more than what she can handle -- she even had a bloody nose from it all! Hana mentioned that she lost a year of her life healing SM. Is that figuratively or does MO lose a bit of her life every time she heals someone? It seems like she might lose a bit of her life because SM commented on her hair turning more grey. 

Shin is getting insanely powerful! How will the counters defeat him now that he's rounding up all the other evil spirits? :scaredpanda2:

By the way, the grey tracksuits that we are seeing now actually are worn before the red tracksuit in the webtoon. The counters wore them before they met SM. I was looking for inspiration for the banner we have and noticed it when I was looking at the webtoon. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

And, actually, I totally understand why Wigen would suggest that. SM has been brash and headstrong, and has used his powers for personal reasons. However, the Counters have a specific job to do, not to fulfill personal agendas. Even in the preview, SM argues desperately for his job because he has to find his mother and father, indicating that again, he's wanting it for personal reasons with full intentions of using it to further his own agenda.

I have a different approach about this. While it's true that Moon might be misused his power to find his mother and father, from the beginning he accept the job as counter because he was promised by Wi Gen that he can meet his parents if he did his job well. Like Ms Chu said, while other counters got the second chance to live their life, So Mun is not in the same condition as them. That's why she brought Mo Tak to pressure Wi Gen to let So Mun met with parents, and unfortunately they found out later that they haven't ascended to Yung because they were eaten by Evil Sin. After So Mun knew that fact, he even more determined to catch Evil Sin so that he could released his parents soul. He might be focusing to rescue his parents soul, but he too want to catch Evil Sin so that he couldn't harm others anymore. 

5 hours ago, Tofu said:

I do understand why she suggested it though. SM learned that he can alter the territory to his benefit if he gets to a certain emotional state. While he was doing that, it affected Wigen -- she was disappearing. I hope we get some explanation why this was happening to her though. 

I think Wi Gen is kind of afraid of Moon's ability. When Moon was trying to force out calling their ground (after his match with Evil Sin), she was started to disappear little by little. When Moon almost able to call the ground, it disappeared and Wi Gen was become a whole again. I was thinking maybe she cut off the connection between Moon and his power from Yung (?). I don't know if she was afraid that she might disappear or that it will be a danger to Moon when he could call the ground as he please. Mo Tak spirit partner, Gi Ran, once said she didn't want to disappear and she wished to be reincarnate before when they were debating whether they should let the counter use their power for other purpose that catching the evil spirit. Maybe Wi Gen too has another purpose that we didn't know? I really wish we have more time to explore the Spirit story even for a little bit. 

The assistant to Mayor Shin, she seems to have more air time in episode 9. And we are shown that she seems to recognized the counter from their picture, although it zoomed at Mo Tak's face. Did she used to help Mo Tak in his investigation before his accident? Or, this is just my speculation, perhaps she is the bride in Soo Hoo's picture that he brought into the afterlife? She recognized Ms Chu's face?

• Like 4
  • Insightful 4

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

The thing that surprised me most about Episode 9 was that no one gave So Mun a big tongue lashing after his altercation with Ji Cheong-shin which saw him on the brink of death. I was waiting for it but all that happened was a quiet and lovely exchange between Mun and Mae-ok which brought tears to my eyes. Mae-ok is a beautiful human being who didn't hesitate to use her powers of healing on him. Moreover, instead of chastising him, she showed that she understood his predicament, his sense of urgency. That said, I still don't think he should have tried to confront Cheong-shin alone and he seemed to be teetering on the dark side in order to summon the power of the territory -- to use Star Wars parlance here. He was out of control but the people around him have not lost their humanity which is heartwarming. I hope he gets out of this at least that there are consequences for the others when he acts recklessly.

This is the double-edged sword in giving a teenage boy super powers especially when said powers are inevitably linked with his emotions. He is as much a danger to himself as he is to anyone as he could cross a line from which there is no return. It isn't so much that he has transgressed the laws of Yung but that he is mentally/emotionally incapable of handling that kind of power at this point.

Once again we see that Mun is great with kids in his interactions with the girl with lymphoma. He always has a soft spot for the young ones. I suppose he has always had a lifelong affinity with the underdog because of his disability since his accident. His impulse for the vulnerable and the underdog is commendable but we're certainly meant to see that he needs to learn not necessarily to be a better person but to gain self-mastery over his raw emotions.

I suppose I'm wondering what will happen to the team if Mun is stripped of his powers. Surely they won't stand by and just watch him struggle through the old normal. They've become so fond of him individually so I can't see them watching him from the sidelines. His relationships with each of them is so precious and that would to my mind, be the most tragic part of him losing his newfound status quo.

I enjoyed the jokes about Ha-na being Mun's two-month-old girlfriend. That was adorable and sweet. He's always liked her (even before he became a Counter) so if they decide to give those two a romance, I would never object. I loved how he told Grandpa that she asked him out first. Heh. And then he had the cheek to ask her how she would feel if he had said he asked her out first. Nicely played you whippersnapper!

The way the team disrupted Mayor Shin's tv interview was a bit silly but hilarious. It was unnecessarily raucous but fun. Frankly, I really want these men to do serious jail time for inflicting such a serious environmental disaster on the public of Jungjin but I will settle for some consolation in the meantime. The health ramifications are just catastrophic. Already we have cancer clusters at play. I think it was @JenL who commented last week that the mayor and his goons are drinking the same dirty water... I very much doubt that somehow. ;) They're most likely bringing in their own bottled water or they've got a state of the art filtration system going in their luxurious homes.

My biggest problem with the Counter Code of Conduct is how the team is supposed to compartmentalize "human affairs" with "evil spirit" business. Seems rather unrealistic to me. I just don't see how you can make that delineation so easily. Are they all just supposed to stay in the noodle shop all the time and come out only when they "sense" and evil spirit? Are they never to interfere ... at all? I don't know that anyone with any sense of justice or heart can just look away when there's bullying going on.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 2
  • Awesome 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I think one of the important messages of this drama is the Peter Parker principle  with great power comes great responsibilities.  The powers given to the Counters  & the powers of the elected representatives can be viewed in a similar way. No matter how you justify the reasons for using the powers given to you , even if they are meant for good , once they are used for personal reasons the lines will start to blur. Just like how politicians can easily exploit their position to make decisions or kickstart projects in the name of people's welfare , they can easily take advantage of this to line their own pockets or serve their own interests. That's the danger with the powers given to the Counters - it can be easily misused. WiGen took those powers back from SM was because she could sense that he was consumed by revenge. While it was important to kill off these level 3 spirits , SM was no longer thinking rationally . This endangers himself , his team and may also result in collateral damage.

------------------------------------

Stills for tonight...poor Mun though...I miss his curly hair..hope they will give him a second chance. It pains me that he will get bullied again.

Look like they find a dead body....

20210103132451_5ff14713c90b7_1.jpg

@stroppyse I cannot decide who I like best yet...I like all 4 ...oh all 5 yes big boss included!

I must think about this further

• Like 7
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

I think one of the important messages of this drama is the Peter Parker principle  with great power comes great responsibilities.  The powers given to the Counters  & the powers of the elected representatives can be viewed in a similar way. No matter how you justify the reasons for using the powers given to you , even if they are meant for good , once they are used for personal reasons the lines will start to blur. Just like how politicians can easily exploit their position to make decisions or kickstart projects in the name of people's welfare , they can easily take advantage of this to line their own pockets or serve their own interests. That's the danger with the powers given to the Counters - it can be easily misused. WiGen took those powers back from SM was because she could sense that he was consumed by revenge. While it was important to kill off these level 3 spirits , SM was no longer thinking rationally . This endangers himself , his team and may also result in collateral damage.

I agree with your points here. I especially like the way you've connected supernatural power with political power. 

A lot of good can be done with power but the application of which always ends up being problematic when flawed human beings are involved. However, what also concerns me about completely stripping away Mun's powers is that he will now be prey to the bullying now that he's back with his walking stick. Will Mo-tak have to follow him everywhere? I don't think there are any easy answers to this problem although I agree that he did cross a very dangerous line even if only for the briefest of moments.

Mun's development as a hero certainly parallels that of Spidey, not least because they are high school kids who lost their parents at a young age and were/are raised by extended family. Mun's in a better place because he has a makeshift family (in the other Counters) who can guide him and steer him in the right path whereas Peter has to work it out largely on his own and create his alter ego. But it is the case that both... because of their youth... have to come to grips with the ramifications of having superhuman abilities. Anger should not be the driver for what they do (a la Anakin Skywalker) but perhaps other impulses such as a strong sense of justice and even love for one's fellow humans.

Still Mun was chosen for a reason. Wigen was sent to his body even while he was living and breathing. Despite his youth and weaknesses, he is needed... but right now, he's not completely ready. 

@stroppyse

It's tough to choose a favourite... like choosing your favourite child... :smile: They're all wonderful in their own way.

But if pressed, I will probably say Mae-ok, especially after Episode 9. She's my role model as the ultimate self-sacrificing Mother figure -- the team's nurturing member. I would love to have her healing touch too. 

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

15 hours ago, LaLa said:

I have a different approach about this. While it's true that Moon might be misused his power to find his mother and father, from the beginning he accept the job as counter because he was promised by Wi Gen that he can meet his parents if he did his job well. Like Ms Chu said, while other counters got the second chance to live their life, So Mun is not in the same condition as them. That's why she brought Mo Tak to pressure Wi Gen to let So Mun met with parents, and unfortunately they found out later that they haven't ascended to Yung because they were eaten by Evil Sin. After So Mun knew that fact, he even more determined to catch Evil Sin so that he could released his parents soul. He might be focusing to rescue his parents soul, but he too want to catch Evil Sin so that he couldn't harm others anymore. 

I have sympathy for this viewpoint, but SM says that he has to save his parents himself. It's become personal for him and in his youthful, unrestrained passion, he's already shown that he is unwilling to listen to his team and just do whatever he feels like. There is no measured consideration of wanting to catch a demon so that others won't be harmed. SM is riding on pure, unrestrained emotion.

I haven't watched episode 10 yet, and I'm afraid to based on the comments here about MO, but I hope that losing his powers helps to mature SM a little bit so that he can be a better Counter.

14 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I think one of the important messages of this drama is the Peter Parker principle  with great power comes great responsibilities.  The powers given to the Counters  & the powers of the elected representatives can be viewed in a similar way. No matter how you justify the reasons for using the powers given to you , even if they are meant for good , once they are used for personal reasons the lines will start to blur.

Well put! I totally agree with this.

And you'll get your badge when you decide on your Counter. So far, only @bairama and @40somethingahjummahas qualified.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Party! 2
21 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I haven't watched episode 10 yet, and I'm afraid to based on the comments here about MO, but I hope that losing his powers helps to mature SM a little bit so that he can be a better Counter.

Not much happened in episode 10, so you can definitely watch it with no worries. 

I don't have much to say about episode 10 because there weren't that many development. Shin is gathering all the other evil spirit as we predicted yesterday from watching today's preview. SM seems to be improving in controlling his emotions, allowing the bullies to attack him. I do not like the preview for next week's episodes. I don't want anything bad to happen to MO. :yoongibtspls:

Also, this part was pretty awesome from episode 9, don't you think? :laugh:

Og6Jgr0.png

I don't think I have one favorite counter because everyone is special in their own way. But since I have to choose, I would probably lean towards MO. You can only get so far with your fist, and I think her healing powers extend more than just fixing someone's broken bone. 

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

A translation of the preview

SM: Ajusshi, don’t come here!
MO: So Mun!
MT: Just wait a little longer!
SM: Yeosah-nim!
SM: They’re all dying because of me!
SM: Don’t do it!
Counter Treasurer: It’s the return of the one.
Mayor Shin: I’m starting to get a little scared. Since it looks as if I really might become the president.
MT: My memories…are back.
Gi Ran: Su Ho may go out of existence.
SM: What?
Doctor: Clear! Shock!
SM: Yeosah-nim. Yeosah-nim!

Note on honorifics: SM calls MO "yeosah-nim" because that is the respectful way to address a usually older lady who is not related to you. If SM were an actual child, he would probably call MO "ajumma", but he's old enough to know better manners, and SM is always respectful.

edit: @Tofu, yes, I love that poster being there! I guess someone on the show's production team must be fans of BTS! I wonder if the guys are watching this drama as well. :jinbtsyes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3