1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm squealing on the inside after watching episode 6 and really can't put it in cohesive description about how I feel of the main OTP. I wished Seon Gyeom and Mi Joo won't get together too quickly because I'm really enjoying their current "friendship" - it's where it is most interesting to watch. Their conversation is never boring.

YES! I agreed with everything you've said! I find their conversation pretty refreshing because there's no hiding their emotions, or telling lies to satisfy the other person. They are pretty honest with each other. I don't know, maybe it's because I've been watching too many dramas where the leads tend to hide their feelings that anything different is consider great to me. Haha! I think my favorite moment of theirs was when he wrote down "eat" into her schedule. Even prior to this, he commented quite a bit on her eating habits as @gilaswan mentioned in her post. Honestly, I can understand OMJ's eating habits because I'm the same way too. When I'm in work-mode there's no taking me out of that unless you're about to lose a limb or something to the extreme of that. I even have an eating period scheduled to alert me every day to not forget to have a meal. Haha!

SDA is a fun character to watch and CSY is doing an excellent job playing her. I loved that she purposely riled up OMJ just so she would offer her place to KSG. I also loved how she stood up for her secretary too. I found that moment to be pretty touching because unlike how she looks, she's not kind, right? :laugh: It seems like she might have an irregular heart beat? It'll be interesting to find out more about this with the upcoming episodes. I hope it's nothing too serious.

I saw him and felt a bit annoyed because all I can think about is the possibility of him being an evil spirit and doing harm to everyone. Then there was a sudden realization that I was watching Run On and not The Uncanny Counter so no such thing is going to happen here. :eeeee:

nuE9yok.png

My favorite moment in this week's episode was probably this:

giphy.gif

Also, LYH's comment that a hyung is someone with a credit card. :laugh:

@stroppyse - I always appreciate your translations because it's a little different from Netflix's and you give a little bit more information. :heart:

@gilaswan - That insight on the ethics of a translator/interpreter was really nice to read. I feel like I've learned something new each time.

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It seems to me that this show is doing something similar to Record of Youth although truth be said, it feels more intriguing and better told. 

20 minutes ago, Tofu said:

I find their conversation pretty refreshing because there's no hiding their emotions, or telling lies to satisfy the other person. They are pretty honest with each other.

I think that's been a bit of a theme for me this year in that I find characters who are able to be honest, both with themselves and to others really refreshing and fun to watch.

Ko Moon Young - has no filter at all, though Gang Tae was very repressed

Goo La La - no filter, but in a nicer way, though Jun was very repressed

Jeong Ha and Hye Joon - started off being straight forward with each other, for the most part. JH would fib a little out of embarrassment or something, but she would immediately reverse herself to tell the unvarnished truth as she saw it.

I agree with @40somethingahjummathat MJ and SG have vibe similar to JH and HJ, except SG is even more open and straightforward than HJ. SG really doesn't see that he has anything to lose in saying what he thinks when he's asked for his thoughts. MJ is a bit more coy and requires a bit of alcohol for unvarnished truth.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 3

@40somethingahjumma@stroppyse - I'm almost hesitant to compare this to Record of Youth because I felt good about how that drama started, then the second half was a bit of a let down. With that said, I can see the connection and I hope we don't get another version of that with Run On. 

I looked up the price of Ki Seon Gyeom's AMI Paris sweater at the end of the episode and it cost over $500! I guess if I was wearing a sweater that expensive, I would not want to be helping someone throwing up too. Haha! 

rG2ZLIh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
2 hours ago, Tofu said:

I looked up the price of Ki Seon Gyeom's AMI Paris sweater at the end of the episode and it cost over $500! I guess if I was wearing a sweater that expensive, I would not want to be helping someone throwing up too. Haha! 

I was thinking the same. Did you check the price of the cheetah shirt? Lol! I notice Mi Joo likes these cheetah prints. She was carrying the bag to go see his ex coach.

Love eps 6 - so far drama has been very refreshing - think it's the way the characters interact . They say the most unexpected things to each other. The way that both romances are developing feels a lot less forced and less tropey. @mademoiselle I too am in no particular hurry for the main leads to get together and I prefer it to develop naturally into love. Their sweet conversations are making me smile as it is. It is clear that  SG is at a rather low point in his life - jobless and directionless. He's got everything materially (just realised the hotel he stays at was his grandfather's) but there's this void that needs to be filled by someone who can be a kindred spirit and bring warmth to his life. MJ is that person. In return, SG is already having a positive impact on her life - her work and eating habits are far from healthy. It was very cute when he added "eating" into her schedule. @gilaswan I loved that he cooked for himself and too bad she didn't realise he cooked for her too. 

Dan A and YH's scenes together , as short as they are , have sparks too. I was wondering how it would work given their age gap and different stations in life . However, Yeong Hwa is not intimidated and can hold his own. Kang Tae Oh's really good looking to with his broad shoulders and all. @stroppyse think my oppa tracker list may accumulate fast! @TRaNz I really love DanA's character. I loved the way she stands up to her brother - loved the part she kicked him because he had kicked her assistant earlier. I do hope that her heart problem won't turn this into some makjang plot.

And it is not just the interactions between the intended romantic pairings that are fun. I like how MJ and DanA have this snarky bickering thing between them. I laughed my head off at how the guys met again at the supermarket - that ET finger touching scene & how quickly YH called SG - hyung! So now we know - all handsome men are called oppas and if you're a guy, you can call another generous guy with a credit card as hyung! 

Yay @40somethingahjumma happy to see you watching this too. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I'm really liking Seon Gyeom as a character. Even though his parents were never around and he had a lonely childhood but nonetheless there must be someone there (that old lady he hugged?) teaching him all the right things and manners.

Have you all noticed how gentlemanly he is and his reactions when he entered Mi Joo's bedroom? He avoided looking around her room and he also ensures he leaves the door open a little after gaining her permission to enter and explore.

:heart:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
1 minute ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm really liking Seon Gyeom as a character. Even though his parents were never around and he had a lonely childhood but nonetheless there must be someone there (that old lady he hugged) teaching him all the right things and manners.

Have you all noticed how gentlemanly he is and his reactions when he entered Mi Joo's bedroom? He avoided looking around her room and he also ensures he leaves the door open a little after gaining her permission to enter and explore.

:heart:

he is...so well brought-up. His parents are so lucky to have a kid like him despite them not being very present in his life.  He's just kind & gentlemanly in every way. I was laughing when he offered to take May home if she worked late.

Oh that last scene:

Mi Joo : Can you like me?

SG : I already do...

- squeals ...dang...too bad she was fast asleep. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

5 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

He's got everything materially (just realised the hotel he stays at was his grandfather's) but there's this void that needs to be filled by someone who can be a kindred spirit and bring warmth to his life.

It seems there are so much more to learn about Seon Gyeom still. Like what I've mentioned above, who has been educating him and this wealthy background of his...goes as far back to his grandfather is a surprise. Is it his dad's side or mom's? Plus how did he and sister ended up choosing sports as career and have no obligations in taking over the grandfather's business? I can only guess they must not be the heirs.

2 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I was laughing when he offered to take May home if she worked late.

Oh that last scene:

Hahaha I know! He's so innocent in that sense, actually believing the lies LOL.

Oh yes that scene had me squealing internally. :hearties:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Party! 1
4 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Plus how did he and sister ended up choosing sports as career and have no obligations in taking over the grandfather's business? I can only guess they must not be the heirs.

Do you remember the scene where their dad met the running coach? The coach called him senior or something, and I suppose the dad himself was a former athlete who went into politics. So both siblings must have been encouraged from young to take up sports .

Nice visuals

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

39 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Do you remember the scene where their dad met the running coach? The coach called him senior or something, and I suppose the dad himself was a former athlete who went into politics. So both siblings must have been encouraged from young to take up sports.

Yeah I do. I am guessing this maybe because their family isn't the direct heir to the hotel business so they are allowed to do sports or other professions. It also keeps them away from threatening the real successor.

Edit: It is scary to think there is a higher figure than his dad that could manipulate Seon Gyeom's life. That is if haraboji is still alive...

Edit 2: Ok I was rewatching so the hotel belongs to grandfather from Mom's side. C-sub translated it as "wai gong" so in Korean should be 외할아버지/we-haraboji. Meaning they are definitely not heirs.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 6

@stroppyse and @Tofu

I suppose when I mentioned that I thought Run On and Record of Youth were doing similar things, that wasn't necessarily a comment about the quality of this drama. Although I am, in all honesty, finding this drama a lot more engaging.

What's similar for me with the two dramas in question is some attempt at exploring the Gen Z, millennial generation. I'm sure it's always been the case that young adults have struggled to figure out what it is they want to do with themselves, to make their dreams a reality and find a niche to call their own in an increasingly complex world. But I'm always keen to gain a SK perspective on this.

I like the fact that the FL, Mi-joo is a translator and sees herself as a bridge between the two languages. It's something close to my heart and I've done some research in applied linguistics. It's a subject matter that I have a lot of time for and I hope they do go into it a lot more. She's already made some interesting comments about translation choices based on context... which is one of my hobby horses. I'm fascinated by socio-linguistics so I can't wait for more conversations or discussions along those lines. For me to it's also a metaphor of the way modern SK is transitioning to be a global force especially in the entertainment and the arts. Most of us here are beneficiaries of the work of those people who do the hard work of translating or interpreting. The increasing code switching in K pop and K dramas certainly points to that.

Bullying seems to be quite a common subject in K dramas of late. I'm wondering if there's some kind of campaign to start a national debate/ conversation about this very difficult issue. I was thinking about Uncanny Counter, Sweet Home and also here. The violence is one thing but what's really damaging is the mental abuse/ brainwashing especially in making the victims believe that they are the cause of the bullying, that it's their fault. And also the normalization of bullying to maintain the status quo or to reinforce the pecking order is highly disturbing. Using euphemisms like "discipline" to refer bullying certainly does nothing to improve things. It feels like some people would like to go back to how it was in Joseon. 

In general, the cast (baddies excepted) seems likeable enough. The way they interact is fun and even if the dialogue does feel gimmicky at times, there's a charm to, the male lead in particular, the witty honesty that falls out fast and furiously out of the characters' mouths. Seon-gyeom says the most delightful and surprising things. He's like a character from a Roald Dahl book. His eccentricity appears to be rooted in a fledgling non-conformism and unexpected sense of justice. The earnestness stems from all of that. It's clear he's attracted to MJ very early on because her frankness stands out in a way that fits with his non-conformist bent. Their interactions are always on the money and the chemistry is palpable. 

@abs-oluteM Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. The second episode was even better than the first. Less jerky. Flowed better and before I knew it, the episode was over.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

4 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Bullying seems to be quite a common subject in K dramas of late. I'm wondering if there's some kind of campaign to start a national debate/ conversation about this very difficult issue. I was thinking about Uncanny Counter, Sweet Home and also here. The violence is one thing but what's really damaging is the mental abuse/ brainwashing especially in making the victims believe that they are the cause of the bullying, that it's their fault. And also the normalization of bullying to maintain the status quo or to reinforce the pecking order is highly disturbing. Using euphemisms like "discipline" to refer bullying certainly does nothing to improve things. It feels like some people would like to go back to how it was in Joseon. 

I am watching all the dramas you mentioned too, and it is awful how systemic this whole bullying culture & hierarchy system is.  The drama will address this  in coming episodes - it becomes a catalyst to the decisions that SG makes for his career. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

So now we know - all handsome men are called oppas and if you're a guy, you can call another generous guy with a credit card as hyung! 

I first learned about all handsome men being "oppas" from Reply 1988, but this is the first time I'm hearing about the guy who is richer being "hyung".  Though thinking about it for a sec, it makes sense. Because of the hierarchical nature of Korean society, typically, the older person pays for the meal even if the younger person is richer. However, pragmatism says that the richer person should be the one paying, thus the richer guy can be the "hyung". I do admire this kind of pragmatism.  :laugh:

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I suppose when I mentioned that I thought Run On and Record of Youth were doing similar things, that wasn't necessarily a comment about the quality of this drama. Although I am, in all honesty, finding this drama a lot more engaging.

Didn't think you were commenting on the quality of the drama itself, but thanks for the clarification. As I mentioned, the similarities for me has to do with the relationship of the OTP and their willingness to be honest with each other and themselves.

As for whether I like either drama better, it's probably too early for me to say as yet. I do find Seon Gyeom more intriguing as a character than I found Ha Joon to be, probably because SG seems to be more of an injured bird. He's grown up with material wealth, but he hasn't had much familial love or attention with his mother busy and his father only thinking of ways to use his children to promote himself.

The father was a national athlete himself, in wrestling, if I remember correctly, before he married into wealth and became a politician. He mentioned at one point that the reason he had kids was so that he could use them because it looked good for politicians to have children, and he had started them doing sports so that their profiles would reflect well on him.

Successful Korean athletes, btw, seem to come from poorer families, possibly because they see that as their ticket to a better life. Once they are picked to be national athletes, they are also given financial support so that they can focus on their training. However, until that point, the athletes have to figure out a way to manage the training and competitions that they need to do in order to be considered for selection. I liked what SG had said about having a supportive system for athletes from when they are very young, though we are only slowly discovering what may separate elite athletes from those who are athletically inclined whether that is nature, nurture, or technology.

5 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I am watching all the dramas you mentioned too, and it is awful how systemic this whole bullying culture & hierarchy system is.  The drama will address this  in coming episodes - it becomes a catalyst to the decisions that SG makes for his career. 

Bullying is an issue in a lot of cultures, though it does feel a bit extreme as depicted in K-dramas. In Korea where the hierarchical structure is so dominant, it does feel as if it's more susceptible to bullying. However, I appreciate that the messaging in K-dramas seems to be about the need for it to stop since they depict bullying in very negative ways. K-dramas tend to have an aspect of social criticism and messaging to both create awareness and to also influence feelings about issues. The most recent topics seem to be bullying, workplace harassment, and Alzheimer's/dementia in terms of how often these topics come up in more recent dramas.

7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm really liking Seon Gyeom as a character. Even though his parents were never around and he had a lonely childhood but nonetheless there must be someone there (that old lady he hugged?) teaching him all the right things and manners.

I think it's amazing that he grew up so well without good, supportive parents around him. However, he must have had good influences as he grew up for him to have developed his sense of right and wrong. Also, he does seem to have received affection from the cook in his parents' house, so perhaps it was the servants who instilled their ethos of hard work and honesty?

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4

I laughed so hard again seeing these :laugh: Honestly I thought the way it was done with the finger (in this first scene) was a bit gayish and then it dawn on me they're doing the ET again. :jhopebtsidea:

0c854d8ee564e9a4378e48dbaa782bdc3c99c0af

78506637b74e0e127f2395ed104392bb311e1269

Spoiler

d9eef3fa382157b943a3f003fb70872f05fce440

74526bcd5ad0320c41190112f0bff71c7a673eb5

Spoiler

61e75d6dd4dcd4d3f5828eb3f391f62dc99f40619518c81fae544b722df877d480acdd5bea99c475

source: https://thingskateknows.tumblr.com/post/639051950180139008/dont-you-remember-me-you-threw-my-drawing-tube

- Should we be a little concern later on Seon Gyeom might do this to "express his feelings" with Mi Joo? :laugh:

BONUS

BONUS #2

Spoiler

LOL, the writer gave SSK a nice name because every time Siwan says Oh Mi Joo...his lips would always be pouting hahahahahahahahahaha

19078f3d7a85a9b540e73a977bd3220e1b3ec5a3

source: https://dingyuxi.tumblr.com/post/639081319076380672/i-picked-her-up-on-the-way

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 5
16 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I was thinking the same. Did you check the price of the cheetah shirt? Lol! I notice Mi Joo likes these cheetah prints. She was carrying the bag to go see his ex coach.

No, I didn't because I'm not sure what brand that shirt it. I'm sure it's probably expensive because it looks like a silk material. I noticed that there are a combination of designer and independent brands from Korean designers in the drama. SDA wears most of the designer brands items because of her character. I think it's pretty funny that OMJ has some designer brand pieces considering she's supposed to play someone that's poor or not have much. However, I remember that we're in drama land so someone with no money can still afford to carry Loewe and Bottega Veneta bags. :laugh:

15 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

No worries, I definitely did not take it in that way at all! I was more or less saying that I find a lot of similarity between both dramas and is hesitant to say more because of how Record of Youth ended. I was really excited about RoY when it started but it just didn't go anywhere and I don't want the same to happen to Run On too. 

For KSG's upbringing, Eun Bi mentioned that he lived apart from the family, but didn't mention for how long. Seeing that he gets along well with the maids at the house, they probably were the ones that raised him including his old track coach too. Considering how both parents are, I think KSG and Eun Bi turned out ok -- none of that spoiled, you must cater to me type of personality. 

@mademoiselle - Thanks for posting all of those gifs. They were some of my favorite scenes!! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 1/1/2021 at 7:52 PM, abs-oluteM said:

he is...so well brought-up. His parents are so lucky to have a kid like him despite them not being very present in his life.  He's just kind & gentlemanly in every way. I was laughing when he offered to take May home if she worked late.

Oh that last scene:

Yeah im starting to warm up to KSG much more now, well mannered and knows whats right. Gotta love his innocence haha.

Yess that last scene for the ep previews...getting some Dan-A and Yeong Hwa actionnnnn hahaha

Love how he returned the robe, the money but then left a huge jar of honey as well AHHAHAHA.

Dan-A's half brother or whatever..my god those few seconds he was on screen....wanted to throw my phone at the screen....how can a character be soooo annoying in just a few seconds of appearing hahahaha.

Oh @mademoiselle, those are the best gifs...that scene in the supermarket AHAHAHHA LOVE IT!

Spoiler

HzrQIMj.png

• Haha 6

-- Survives on Bubble Milk Tea, Burgers, Fries, Chicken Nuggets and Fried Chicken --

-- Currently watching: {not watching anything at the moment} --

8 minutes ago, TRaNz said:

Dan-A's half brother or whatever..my god those few seconds he was on screen....wanted to throw my phone at the screen....how can a character be soooo annoying in just a few seconds of appearing hahahaha.

Don't throw your phone. Throw a stinky slipper instead, LOL. It means he doesn't even deserve to have a 1K phone thrown at him :GrowDerp:

• Haha 6

What can I say, Ep 6 is so entertaining. 

The finger ET touch got me LOL. 

Dan Ah playing tricks on MJ when Sg walked in not realizing MJ was there. 

And as @TRaNzsays, annoying half bro of Dan Ah, I just can't stand him.

@mademoiselle I will throw stinky Tofu at him which is less expensive!

I was LOL, when MJ drink straight from the blender. 

Dan Ah and her secretary, relationship is like close friend where she places her hand over his shoulder.. and when she kicked her illegitimate brother and if she was wearing heels that would be much more painfull. 

Beginning to like Dan Ah and the painter (still can't remember his name) more. 

• Haha 6

Oooh interesting. I just read from Weibo that Run On's writer is Kim Eun Sook's assistant writer, who has participated in Dots and Mr. Sunshine's scripts. Just exactly how many assistants KES has? Search WWW was also from her assistant writer.

I think both of these writers are better than their mentor :GrowDerp:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Don't throw your phone. Throw a stinky slipper instead, LOL. It means he doesn't even deserve to have a 1K phone thrown at him :GrowDerp:

HAHAHAHAHA...i should do it the kdrama way shouldnt I? get some kimchi and slap my screen when hes on. HAHAHA

Like seriously, hes had zero contribution to this kdrama, no use.

1 hour ago, Thong Thin said:

I was LOL, when MJ drink straight from the blender. 

hahaha yesss thiss!!, Mug with cereal and milk... "It's my meal" .... the blender scene.."My meal" hahahahaha

• Haha 4

-- Survives on Bubble Milk Tea, Burgers, Fries, Chicken Nuggets and Fried Chicken --

-- Currently watching: {not watching anything at the moment} --

9 hours ago, TRaNz said:

HAHAHAHAHA...i should do it the kdrama way shouldnt I? get some kimchi and slap my screen when hes on. HAHAHA

Like seriously, hes had zero contribution to this kdrama, no use.

hahaha yesss thiss!!, Mug with cereal and milk... "It's my meal" .... the blender scene.."My meal" hahahahaha

Omo! 

Is that the 21st century way of taking meals :laugh:

9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

There's also seaweed slap  Tofu & Stroppyse will know who got slapped with it

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_inline_pt2xv7WGQT1qcgu07_250.gifv

Didn't know seaweed plays a role too. 

:SquirtleWonderfull:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@mademoiselle - That seaweed scene gets me every time! Now I'm picturing Scarlet just yelling at her TV after watching that scene. :laugh:

@TRaNz - I do agreed that the idol half-bro is a bit confusing to me at the moment. He seems to be obsessed with SDA, but why? Did she show him some affection when the rest of the family didn't? :pandathink:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2