Others Entertainment - Grapevine

NiteWalker

• 7 months later...
'Top Gun: Maverick' soars to over 1 million views in Korea

Tom Cruise flies a fighter jet in a scene from 'Top Gun: Maverick.' Courtesy of Lotte Entertainment
Tom Cruise flies a fighter jet in a scene from "Top Gun: Maverick." Courtesy of Lotte Entertainment

By Kim Rahn
Tom Cruise's latest blockbuster "Top Gun: Maverick" has drawn more than 1 million viewers in four days since its release in Korea.
According to the ticket sales compiled by the Korean Film Council, the Hollywood movie attracted some 472,000 filmgoers on Saturday, with the accumulated number of moviegoers since the release on June 22 standing at over 1.08 million.
Another 220,000 tickets were also booked for Sunday's screenings, according to the council.
The film has topped the box office ranking every day since its release. The pace of the ticket sales is similar to that of "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" (2011), which attracted the largest 
audience for a Tom Cruise film in Korea, some 7.57 million in total.
"Top Gun: Maverick" is the sequel to the 1986 film "Top Gun." Legendary pilot Pete "Maverick" Mitchell (Cruise) is called back to the naval flight academy to train young pilots and prepare them for a special mission.

Tom Cruise flies a fighter jet in a scene from 'Top Gun: Maverick.' Courtesy of Lotte Entertainment
Miles Teller thanks Korean fans as "Top Gun: Maverick" surpasses 100 million views in Korea, in this video clip posted on YouTube, Saturday. Captured from YouTube

Cruise made his 10th visit to Korea from June 17 to 20 along with his co-actors ― Miles Teller, Glen Powell, Jay Ellis and Greg Tarzan Davis ― and producer Jerry Bruckheimer.
The cast expressed gratitude to Korean moviegoers for exceeding the 1 million mark via a video clip posted on Saturday on Paramount Korea and Lotte Entertainment's YouTube channels in which Teller said, "That (exceeding 1 million views) means so much to me and the 'Top Gun: Maverick' family."

source:
Edited by twink_twink_
  • Like 3

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 1 month later...

By Park Han Sol.

optimize.jpg

The animated song, "Baby Shark," which was spun off into a TV show in 2021 under the title, "Baby Shark's Big Show!" will be turned into a feature-length film set for release on Paramount+ next year. Courtesy of The Pinkfong Company.

The mega-popular "Baby Shark" franchise, which has the world's first YouTube video to reach the 10-billion views mark, is returning with its first-ever original animated feature next year.

Tentatively titled, "Baby Shark's Big Movie!" the upcoming film inspired by the hit children's song is set to premiere on U.S. streaming service Paramount+ during the 2023 holiday season.

Co-produced by The Pinkfong Company and Paramount Global's Nickelodeon Animation, the movie will follow Baby Shark as his family moves to the big city of sharks called Chomp City. After leaving behind his best friend, William, Baby Shark must now start a new adventure to fight against an evil pop starfish, Stariana, who tries to steal his musical gift.

In 2021, "Baby Shark" was spun off into a television show globally across Nickelodeon branded channels under the title, "Baby Shark's Big Show!" The series ranked as the No. 1 preschool series across all TV in the U.S. in the second quarter of this year, and was recently picked up for a second season.

Previously, the song also led to the creation of a children's book, breakfast cereal and even non-fungible token (NFT) collectibles.

source:

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2022/08/398_334009.html

• Like 2
  • Party! 2

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 2 months later...

Robbie Coltrane: Harry Potter actor dies aged 72

robbie-coltrane-dies.jpg

Fellow Harry Potter star Emma Watson said: "Robbie, if I ever get to be so kind as you were to me on a film set I promise I'll do it in your name and memory."

She paid tribute to Coltrane on Instagram saying there was "no better Hagrid" and he "made it a joy to be Hermione". "I'll really miss your sweetness, your nicknames, your warmth, your laughs and your hugs."

Writing on Twitter, Harry Potter author JK Rowling described Coltrane as an "incredible talent" and "a complete one-off".

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/robbie-coltrane-dead-hagrid-harry-potter-movie-cracker-actor-1235241552/

• Sad 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@JenL @Tofu @SilverMoonTea @abs-oluteM Will you guys be checking this out? It's a thriller but has some disturbing scenes. Wu Kang Ren is really psychotic in here and did a lot of sexual harassment to Wei Ning's character. It's already quite uncomfortable seeing these cuts.

Tagging @Chocolate coz I know you like crime thriller.

Some spoilers in here:

Yes! I'll definitely be watching. I love Tifanny Hsu. But I've seen Chris Wu be a psycho before and he is really freaky. I've actually never thought he was hot or attractive and I kind thought his acting was over rated. But as a villain, he does the job.:lettalKWA:

George Hu is in this one too, i think? 

• Like 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

@mademoiselle You don't know Hu Yu Wei? Annie Chen's Husband? He was in a lot of dramas with the OG Taiwanese stars like Rainie Yang and Annie Chen. But then he went off to China and mainly does dramas there now. :idk:

https://mydramalist.com/people/1280-hu-george

(Yep it looks like he's in this)

• Haha 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

HAHAHAHAHAHA @ the "who is George Hu" question. :lmao2::lmao2:

Wow! This drama has so many popular Taiwanese actors/actresses in it! :PsyWhat:

I'll probably watch because it looks really interesting and Taiwanese dramas are one episode a week so it should be do-able. 

• Haha 1

@Tofu Why so funny? xD

@JenL Ok, now that you said his Chinese name... I do know him but not very well because when I "knew" about him he was only a supporting actor. My next question would be who is Annie Chen if I hadn't googled. Hahahaha!

I must explain that I know these guys by their Chinese names rather than English + family name so often when you guys throw their English names around I'd be "???". That said I do know Jerry Yan, VanNess Wu, Vic Zhou, Mike He, Joe Cheng and Ariel Lin by their English given names too... somehow, I don't know why/how though.

@Tofu All 9 episodes are out so it's not one per week.

• Shocked 1

'Squid Game' star Lee Jung Jae cast for Disney+ original Star Wars 

optimize.jpg

Leslye Headland, right, director of the upcoming original Star Wars series 'The Acolyte,' as well as series leads Lee Jung Jae, center, and Amandla Stenberg, left, are seen in this behind-the-scenes photo taken from the official Star Wars website. Yonhap

Smash-hit Netflix series "Squid Game" actor Lee Jung Jae will star in "The Acolyte," an upcoming Star Wars series to be streamed on Disney+, according to production company Lucasfilm.

"The Acolyte" is a mystery thriller written and directed by Leslye Headland for Disney+ and has begun production in Britain, Lucasfilm said in a release posted on its website Monday (local time).

Among other main cast members are Amandla Stenberg of "The Hate U Give," Manny Jacinto of "Nine Perfect Strangers," and Dafne Keen of "His Dark Materials".

The show will focus on the emergence of dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic Era, it said, without releasing its release schedule. (Yonhap)

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

• 4 weeks later...

image-readtop-2022-1102705-1670378941526

image-readmed-2022-1102705-1670378941526

Korean webtoon 'Romance 101' to debut as Japanese drama

Written By Kim Eun Jung 

A Japanese drama based on popular Korean web-based cartoon series "Romance 101" will be aired on Japanese channel TV Asahi next month, according to industry sources Tuesday.

TV Asahi and Naver Webtoon's Japanese-language service Line Manga teamed up for the campus romance drama starring rising Japanese stars, including Honda Kyoya, Toyoda Yudai and Otomo Karen.

It is the first time that Naver Webtoon's intellectual property is being used for a Japanese drama production.

The major Japanese broadcaster will air the drama's first episode on New Year's Day, which will be also available on its streaming service, Telasa.

Since its release in 2017, the romance webtoon has been translated into eight foreign languages and attracted over 800 million views.

It will be TV Asahi's second Korean webtoon adaptation, following "Roppongi Class," the Japanese remake of 2020 hit Korean series "Itaewon Class" based on a Kakao webtoon, aired in July.

Roppongi is an entertainment district in Tokyo, often compared with Itaewon in central Seoul. 

optimize.jpg

https://en.yna.co.kr/culture/index

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

• 4 weeks later...

By Chloe Melas

Jeremy Renner is in ICU recovering from 2 surgeries after being injured in snow plowing incident

230102094856-jeremy-renner-file-112221-s

(CNN) "Hawkeye" actor Jeremy Renner is recovering from surgery after suffering "blunt chest trauma and orthopedic injuries" in a New Year's Day snow plowing accident in Nevada, a spokesperson for the actor said.

As of Monday evening, Renner was in the intensive care unit in "critical but stable condition," the spokesperson said.

The 51-year-old actor has so far undergone two surgeries to address injuries he sustained in the accident, a source close to the actor previously told CNN.

The Washoe County Sheriff's Office said its deputies responded to a "traumatic injury" involving Renner in the area of Mount Rose Highway in Reno.

Deputies found Renner injured and coordinated his transport to an area hospital, the Sheriff's Office said in a news release, adding that the actor was the only person involved in the accident.

The Sheriff's Office did not provide details on how the snow plow accident happened but said its Major Accident Investigation Team is looking into the circumstances of the incident.

https://edition.cnn.com/

prayers up for him on a full and speedy recovery

🙏

• Like 4

giphy-1.gif

Written By Reporter Kim Jeong Jin

yna1065624913934258-753.jpg

Movie 'Titanic: 25th Anniversary' [Provided by The Walt Disney Company Korea]

Director James Cameron's masterpiece 'Titanic' (1997) which is making a box office hit with film 'Avatar: The Way Of Water', will be re-released to commemorate the 25th anniversary of its release.

Distributor Walt Disney Korea announced on the 11th that the movie 'Titanic: 25th Anniversary' will meet with audiences early next month.

This work is remastered with 4K HDR (High Dynamic Range, a technology that expands the range of brightness by emphasizing the contrast of the image) so that you can enjoy it with a clearer picture quality, and it is also screened in 3D format.

Based on the sinking of the Titanic in 1912, this work depicts the love between Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio), a free-spirited painter and Rose (Kate Winslet) who boarded the first-class cabin with her fiancé.

At the time of its release, it recorded revenues of $1.84347 million worldwide and ranked first in the global box office. The following year, it won 11 awards at the American Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director.

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsList.php?tid=181941831

Edited by twink_twink_
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr-nxwxk4-Ll-K21twb88oo2-400.gif

K-ODYSSEY

By Yonhap News

p1065579231961124-165-thum.jpg

Channel W, a South Korean nationwide television network specializing in broadcasting Japanese content, will be premiering a Japanese drama series “I Should Have Said 1 Million Times' at 10 pm, February. 30.

The Japanese coming-of-age drama series will be telling a heartwarming and emotional love story of childhood friends who reunite as adults. Mao Inoue -- a Japanese actress who made herself known by appearing in multiple Japanese films and TV shows including the Japanese version of “Boys Over Flowers” -- and Takeru Satoh -- a Japanese actor who is best known for his leading role in “Kamen Rider Den-O” -- will be playing the leading roles. South Korean actress Shim Eun Kyung will be acting out the role of Song Ha Young, a neuro-scientist.

Actress Shim, who is known for her roles in “Miss Granny,” “Sunny,” and “The Journalist,” was the first Korean artist to win Best Actress at the 2020 Japanese Academy Awards.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

36c2d114c355a78a07ab2d913f35160c.gif

Reporter Jung Tae Yoon

05518078-812b-4e62-bd72-e48102c1529e.jpg

'Missing' has been confirmed to be released on the 22nd of next month. On January 27, the movie press still was also released. It predicted an unexpected development of the story.

It is a new story of the 'Searching' series, which was released in 2018. This is the story of a college student daughter struggling to find her missing mother while traveling.

Spoiler

826e5889-7a5e-446a-b2a8-0e5fb172b3e2-1.j

Directed by Searching editors Will Merrick and Nicholas D. Johnson, Missing opens with video footage of a happy family swiftly hit by tragedy.  Fans of the previous film will be pleased with the opening sequence, which creates a conspiratorial thread between the directors and established viewers. A home video shows a young June (Ava Zaria Lee) attempting to record her father, James, (Tim Griffin), on an old camcorder before her mother, Grace, (Nia Long), steps into the frame and gingerly confiscates the device.

The intimate moment leads into a more dolorous one: Medical records, Google searches and emails show that James died from cancer. Bereft and overcome with grief, Grace moves from San Antonio to Los Angeles looking for a fresh start.

June files a missing person report. I was able to see the appearance of Daniel Henney. He transformed into FBI investigator 'Elijah Park'. With the help of Elijah Park, June uncovers the whole story.

In the process, June learns that 'Kevin' (Ken Leung), who accompanied his mother on the trip, is a criminal. The disappearance case turns into a public investigation.

The more the case was uncovered, the more hidden facts surfaced. The tense moments in the movie were felt just by looking at the photos.

'Missing' returned to directing using the OS operating system, mobile screen, and more diverse digital formats. In North America, it is already breaking the box office score that surpasses the previous film.

Spoiler

2395f7ed-6eaf-457a-81ab-5c6c75bb5de0-1.j

bd7d9c18-d401-43e7-ad4c-8e733fde619c.jpg

6d0fcb87-6f0b-4546-858d-d771e8b3229d.jpg

<Photo courtesy of Sony Pictures>

https://www.dispatch.co.kr/

• Like 4

By Kim Da Sol

[Box Office] Movies in theaters this week

20230126000739-0.jpg

“Someday or One Day”

(Taiwan)

Opened January, 25 2023

Drama

Directed by Hwang Cheonin

Based on an adaptation of a 2019 TV series of the same name, this film revolves around a woman who is depressed after her boyfriend dies in a plane incident. Struggling to get over him, she receives a mysterious tape one day that allows her to travel back in time. She dreams of meeting her boyfriend once again and questions whether she will be able to change his destiny.

20230126000740-0.jpg

“The Point Men”

(South Korea)

Opened January, 18 2023

Drama

Directed by Yim Soon Rye

This film centers on a hostage crisis in Afghanistan based on a real-life incident in 2007, when 23 South Koreans on missionary activities were abducted by the Taliban. Diplomat Jae Ho (Hwang Jung Min) and National Intelligence Service agent Dae Sik (Hyun Bin) collaborate to save the Korean hostages. Actor Kang Ki Young plays a witty and highly energetic local interpreter, lightening the mood of the film’s weighty theme.

20230126000741-0.jpg

“The First Slam Dunk”

(Japan)

Opened January, 4 2023

Adventure/Comedy

Directed by Takehiko Inoue

Based on the "Slam Dunk" manga series written and illustrated by Takehiko Inoue, this animated sports film follows Ryota Miyagi, a high school student who plays as a point guard on his school’s basketball team. It follows his journey of winning the championship at a nationwide basketball competition.

Spoiler

20230126000742-0-1.jpg

“Avatar: The Way of Water”

(US)

Opened December, 14 2022

Action

Directed by James Cameron

Many years after the events of "Avatar," Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) and Ney'tiri (Zoe Saldana) must leave home and explore Pandora to fight a difficult war against invading humans. Now with three children for a new kind of family story according to Disney, the film is largely set in water, introducing a new oceanic tribe of Na’vi called Metkayina.

https://www.koreaherald.com/topics/#;

• Clapping Hands 4

tumblr-prh2s4xin51y06kqbo3-400.gif

K-ODYSSEY

By Yoo Joo Ha

Fk-Y07vna-UAAec-Fm.jpg

South Korean OTT service Watcha’s original documentary series “Fill In The Blank” has led the huge influx of Japanese service users after receiving positive reviews, addressed Watcha on last Thursday.

According to Watcha, the wide influx of the Japanese users has recorded over triple the amount of newly registered users from its previous month. Moreover, the increase seen within recent days tops the amount of influx of new users since the service was launched since the September of 2020.

“Fill In the Blank” which is produced by using funds supported by the fund and provided by Ministry of Science and ICT, features Hyojung of K-pop girl group “Oh My Girl,” Kim Chae Won from Le Sserafim, Q from K-pop boy group “The Boyz,” and Wooyoung of “Ateez,” where all of the participants talk about their personal stories away from a member of successful K-pop group.

“Increase in the fame and love of K-pop shown by Japanese fans and unique genre of the program which showcases personal and yet to be witnessed within other program has led the ‘Fill In The Blank’ to attract number of new viewers” addressed Watcha’s official.

Based on the information disclosed by Watchapedia “Fill In The Blank” within Japan is currently rated at 4.9 out of 5.

33e831cc-a4ba-4ce9-91c8-45153e95163f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

a81715247b63cb8c1e7e62bbf174b671.gif

By Kim Da Sol

[Box Office] Movies in theaters this week

20230202000802-0-1.jpg

“Babylon”

(U.S.)

Opened Feb. 1

Drama

Directed by Damien Chazelle

Set in Hollywood’s late 1920s, “Babylon” chronicles the rise and fall of ambitious dreamers -- singers, actors and filmmakers -- in the movie industry, depicting Hollywood’s transition from silent to sound films. The film, starring Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie and Diego Calva, is director Damien Chazelle's follow-up to the well-regarded La La Land in 2016 and First Man in 2018.

bts-yet-to-come-1.gif

Spoiler

20230202000803-0-1.jpg

“BTS: Yet To Come in Cinemas”

(South Korea)

Opened Feb. 1

Music/Documentary

Directed by Oh Yoon Dong

BTS presents a special cinematic cut of their “Yet to Come in Busan” concert held in Busan last October, which was held for free to promote Busan's bid to host the World Expo in 2030. The documentary film features hits from across their career as well as the first concert performance of "Run BTS" from the album "Proof." The live concert, which was the last show before the boyband’s two-year hiatus for mandatory military service, was captured by 14 cinematic cameras.

https://www.koreaherald.com/topics/

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

• 2 weeks later...

K-ODYSSEY

Los Angeles Yonhap News Jung Yoon Seop 

yna1065624913968235-351.jpg

Actress Emma Corrin, who played Princess Diana in Netflix's British royal drama 'The Crown', appears in a Marvel hero movie. Foreign media reported on the 15th (local time) that she will transform into a 'villain' role.

American entertainment media The Hollywood Reporter and Deadline, citing sources, reported that Corinn has been cast as a villain in the third installment of the Marvel movie 'Deadpool' series.

Marvel hasn't specifically revealed the role Corinne will play, but star Ryan Reynolds, the lead actor in the 'Deadpool' series, confirmed her appearance in a post on Twitter, saying, "Corinn has joined the Deadpool family. I don't trust her. I suspect she's a bit two-faced."

Earlier, Australian-born Hollywood actor Hugh Jackman was also cast in 'Deadpool 3', and he returns to the role of Wolverine, a popular character in the 'X-Men' series in this work.

The 'Deadpool' series will be produced by Marvel Studios under Disney from the third episode, and will join the 'Marvel Cinematic Universe' (MCU Marvel Movie Worldview) 20th Century Fox (currently 20th Century Studios), which produced the first and second episodes of this film, was acquired by Disney in 2019.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

38e777fb-dcd6-4fd8-8894-de1f43a98610.png

Hollywood and the Games Industry Pay Tribute to Lance Reddick: 'We Just Lost a Beautiful Human'

Keanu Reeves and Chad Stahelski are dedicating John Wick: Chapter 4 to Reddick's memory.

by Logan Plant  

Friends, colleagues and fans are paying tribute to Lance Reddick, following today's news that the actor died at age 60. Reddick was known for his work on hits such as John Wick, The Wire, Destiny and more.

Reddick starred in the John Wick franchise alongside Keanu Reeves, including the upcoming John Wick: Chapter 4. Today, Reeves and franchise director Chad Stahelski shared a statement with Variety on Reddick's passing.

RIP to the great Lance Reddick 🙏

• Like 2
  • Sad 2