Secret Royal Inspector 암행어사 [2020-2021]

Tofu

Secret Royal Inspector 암행어사

lWLjdtS.jpg

Literal Title: Secret Royal Inspector: Joseon Secret Investigation Team (암행어사: 조선비밀수사단)
Director: Kim Jung Min
Writer: Park Sung Hoon and Kang Min Sun
Network: KBS2
Episodes: 16
Release Date: December 21st, 2020 -- February 9th, 2021
Air Time: Monday and Tuesday @ 9:30PM KST
English Subtitles: ----
Official Website: KBS2

Synopsis

Set towards the end of the Joseon era, Sung Yi-Gyeom (Kim Myung-Soo) placed first in the state examination and he now works at the Hongmungwan (administrative and research department). He doesn't have a goal or ambition for his life. One day, Sung Yi-Gyeom is caught gambling. As punishment, he is assigned to work as a secret royal inspector. His job is to eradicate illegal acts and corruption by public officers. He carries out his new job with the help of Hong Da-In (Kwon Na-Ra) and Park Chun-Sam (Lee Yi-Kyung). Hong Da-In is a female inspector and solves cases with Sung Yi-Gyeom. Park Chun-Sam is Sung Yi-Gyeom’s servant. Park Chun-Sam is talkative, affectionate, and tearful.

Meanwhile, Sung Yi-Beom (Lee Tae-Hwan) is Sung Yi-Gyeom’s younger stepbrother. His father is a nobleman, but his mother is a slave. Due to his mother's low social status, his father does not accept him as his real son and he is barred from having certain opportunities. He opposes his older stepbrother Sung Yi-Gyeom. (Credit)

Some historical background on secret royal inspector: The secret royal inspector was a temporary position unique to the Joseon Dynasty, in which an undercover official directly appointed by the king was sent to local provinces to monitor government officials and look after the populace while traveling incognito. Unlike regular inspectors whose activities under Office of Inspector General were official and public, the appointment and activities of secret royal inspectors were kept strictly secret throughout the mission. (Credit)

Cast

b7TiUZD.jpg

Kim Myung Soo (L) as Sung Yi Gyeom

sKu0lms.jpg

Kwon Na Ra as Hong Da In 

UYNxkh6.jpg

Lee Yi Kyung as Park Chun Sam

Lee Tae-Hwan as Sung Yi-Beom
Jo Soo-Min as Kang Soon-Ae
Ahn Nae-Sang as Jang Tae-Seung
Choi Jong-Won as Kang In-Chung
Son Byung-Ho as Kim Byeong-Geun
Chae Dong-Hyun as Kim Man-Hee
Park Joo-Hyung as Seo Yong
Shin Ji-Hoon as Choi Do-Gwan
Han Jae-Suk as Kang Jong-Gil
Kim Ju-Young as Sa-Wol

• Like 2

@abs-oluteM - I love the caption in the video that says, "The fate of Joseon lies in their hands" at the end. :laugh:

Stills were released for the drama recently. I forget how nice L looks in a hanbok, maybe he should do more sageuk (honestly, those are the only dramas I've seen him in too....haha!)

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I tried episode 1 and couldn't get into it...

I agreed. The trailers and everything are hilarious but I was only able to watch, maybe, the first 20 or so minutes of episode one. I read that the ratings weren't too bad and many people seem to be enjoying it. I'll have to pick it up again after more episodes are aired. 

• Like 3

I started with Ep 2-3 and so far I like it. Kwon Nara is gorgeous in gisaeng outfit and Li Yikyung injects the Waikiki-esque humor. L is okay in fight scenes but is not compelling as an inspector. The best scene for me is when 

Spoiler

he cries over the buried body of the previous Royal Inspector.

And I caught a glimpse of my eucalyptus tree. I reckon he'll also have fight scenes, and maybe against L. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • 3 weeks later...