Joseon Exorcist - 조선구마사 [Cancelled]

Darkarcana

I am actually very saddened to hear that this drama was cancelled (or that it may be cancelled). It's a lot of work (and injuries) that a lot of people have put in. 

I'm also a bit sad to hear why it was cancelled. I thought that fusion sageuks were a bit of a thing where RL historical characters are used in fictional works. Faith, Moonlight Drawn By Clouds, Mirror of the Witch come to mind, but loads of others. Not to mention a number of productions where they change the name slightly but use a historical figure as reference. And, actually, other countries' movies and dramas will do similar things as well, i.e. use historical figures in fictional works. I suppose the fear is that the use of the historical figures in JE may reflect poorly on the Korean historical figures?

Anyway, I hope that the cancellation was premature and that the production finds a way to salvage it. Perhaps Netflix might be interested in picking it up for distribution, even if it's not shown in SK?

• Like 4

This whole thing makes me sad for all the people that worked so hard on this drama. If they end up canceling this drama, I hope that the people who worked on this drama are being compensated. I read somewhere that sponsors have backed out and I fear that means they may not have the funds to pay the workers. 

I've been telling @stroppyse that all of these news have been really exhausting and I don't even follow them that closely. Hearing about them just makes me not want to watch any dramas because I never know if it's going to get pulled off the air. :idk:

• Like 4

@stroppyseThe backlash i think is so severe that it’s all over the media and online portals. In Naver talk alone , it already has 125k comments. The Blue House petition breached 200k as of yesterday and they are planning to file another set of petition when it comes to overseas copyrights. The public is aware of the show being sold internationally.

The royal descendants also sent their complaints:

The Jeonju Lee Royal Family Association, comprised of ancestors of the Lee clan of Joseon which ruled Korea for over 500 years, has issued a statement calling on SBS to cancel the controversial drama series, 'Joseon Exorcist'. 

Back on march 24, the Jeonju Lee Royal Family Association stated, "We request the immediate cancellation of the drama 'Joseon Exorcist', which distorted Korean history and culture and showed favoritism toward China's Northeast History Project."

The Association also added, "SBS's 'Joseon Exorcist' took the names of historical figures King Taejong, Grand Prince Yangyeong, Prince Choongneyong (later King Sejong) and incorporated them into a falsely distorted narrative. As a result, the majority of the nation has raised concerns over the false historical portrayal and negative view that this drama will cast on the royal family of Joseon, and in agreement, we have decided to demand a solution to this issue from the broadcasting station and the production staff involved immediately."

Based on what I also read from theqoo—

1. The timeline of Joseon x Christianity doesn’t match

2. King Taejong asked Vatican City for help which was never depicted in history

3.According to insiders, the direction of the story leads to Prince Cheongneyong to deal with the evil spirits and become an exorcist (this made the knets much angrier).

If we have to compare the historical reference less the fantasy element of this show, My Country and Six Flying Dragons did fair well in keeping the timeline intact. 
If only, the production decided to just use fictional names.

Overall it is just so saddening to let this drama go . 

• Sad 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

:pandasadspoon:EP 1 was really really good. Haven’t watched EP 2 but it’s a bummer because I wanted to collect the episodes so I can binge watch when I wait for mouse.....Sad to see it go just like that 

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/03/sbs-releases-official-statement-confirming-the-cancellation-of-drama-joseon-exorcist?fbclid=IwAR24PV66_xxjR_7FAukGZGoau4494nC76tQLZS8E8SkAR9DhN3rNm5o4Maw

“SBS has already paid numerous overseas distribution fees in advance regarding this drama, and the production company has completed filming as much as 80% of the content.”

80% of their contents...what a waste

• Sad 2

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif

Lead actor Jang Dong Yoon of 'Joseon Exorcist' writes a personal apology to viewers

1616803678-20210326-jangdongyoon.jpg

On March 27, lead actor Jang Dong Yoon of SBS's 'Joseon Exorcist' delivered a personal apology to viewers through his agency Dongyi Company

The actor stated, 

"I spent a lot of time reflecting. Even though I may not be able to satisfy all those who were frustrated with me, I am writing this in the hopes that I can at least deliver my sincere response to all who were waiting to hear from me, as a leading cast member of 'Joseon Exorcist'.

I have absolutely no room for excuses. I am just sincerely apologetic. I did not adequately assess how problematic this production would be. This was because I was foolish and lazy. I only considered the production from the limited perspective of an actor looking at a creative piece. I completely overlooked the perspective from the calculative lens of society. It was a major mistake. Because I thought that it was a chance for me to work with a respected director and many sunbaes and fellow actors and actresses whom I respected, I thought I had no reason to turn this production down. Within my limited view of the choices given to me, I thought that it was the best option. Once again, all of this was due to my carelessness.

I've always lived trying to cultivate myself to the best of my abilities, believing that if you live morally and not make immoral mistakes, you can live with your head high. Despite so, I became professionally wrapped up in a shameful and embarrassing incident, and I am reflecting on myself for these recent events. I know very well that my profession is tightly bound in the public's love and acceptance. Thus, even if you read my letter and perceive it as only excuses, I will accept it with modesty. 

I did not intend for this letter to be a portal for my personal feelings and emotions, but in the hopes that I would be able to show my sincerity, it has become emotional and so I apologize for that. But if you will generously accept this apology, I would like to take away the important lessons from this incident in my heart and show you a better, more mature side of me as an actor in the future."

Meanwhile, Jang Dong Yoon was previously cast in the role of the young Prince Choong Nyeong (later King Sejong) in 'Joseon Exorcist'. All production and distribution of the controversial drama series have now been cancelled. 

source: AllKPOP

• Like 3

Looks like the other main cast are apologising too

So sad cause I was gonna muster courage & watch this for  Park Sung Hoon who wrote on his IG

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM6ZWVrMt2c/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link\

(translated with Papago)

First of all, I feel a great responsibility as an actor in "Joseon Exorcist" by reading all the posts that many people are angered and  are worried about this incident.

Despite the burden and careful mind in dealing with real people as a work, I couldn't judge the boundaries between creation and distortion properly. There was a foolish and lacking thought that just being an actor should approach acting sincerely and do the best for the given character.

I am ashamed that I realized my stupidity only when I was in this situation. I will receive a lot of criticism because of this. I belatedly realize the seriousness of the issue and how important historical awareness and social responsibility are for actors.

I'm sorry and sorry to have caused so many people's concerns. With this opportunity, I will become an actor who acts with responsibility in a cautious manner.

Once again, I sincerely apologize. I'm sorry.

[His agency to BHEnt posted an apology

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM6ZXIXBx5z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link ]

------------------------

Poor gal Lee Yu Bi. Last saw her in A Poem A Day as the cute lead , and this was her comeback drama.

Her iG https://www.instagram.com/p/CM6VBFLpjX1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

(translated with Papago)

Hello, I'm Lee Yu-bi.
I am writing because I want to tell you about what I have made many people uncomfortable with this incident.
Please understand that I am late because I am trying to post after the drama situation has been settled.
This work was a work I met at a time when I personally thought a lot about it.
It was a point where I thought I wanted to play a role in the future, what I could do, challenge new things, and achieve them one by one.
I think I only wanted to express myself as a character that I didn't do before.
I regret that I was ignorant of the distortion of history and did not think deeply.
From now on, I will try to become an actor who works with a wide perspective. I'm sorry again.

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring