Jirisan 지리산 [2021]

stroppyse

Jun Ji Hyun And Joo Ji Hoon Have An Interesting First Encounter As New Partners In “Jirisan”

Oct 20, 2021 by L. Kim

Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon will become partners in the upcoming tvN drama “Jirisan”!

Written by Kim Eun Hee (“Signal,” “Kingdom”), “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

On October 20, the drama revealed new stills of Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo’s first meeting. There is a sharp contrast between Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger who radiates professionalism, and Kang Hyun Jo, a newcomer who doesn’t have much experience yet.

After years of experience, Seo Yi Kang knows how challenging Mount Jiri is, and she is carrying tons of equipment that can be used in various emergency situations. Despite the heavy gear, she isn’t affected at all, and she stands tall and strong as if she has become one with the equipment.

On the other hand, Kang Hyun Jo is dressed well, just like any other person on their first day of work, and he is clearly nervous and awkward in front of his new partner. It probably isn’t easy for a rookie like him to team up with Seo Yi Kang, especially when he’s still not familiar with the mountain’s geography.

jirisan-2.jpg

Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo aren’t quite used to being partners yet, and it’s hard to ignore the cold air surrounding them. However, over time, they will become like a “needle and thread,” and it will be intriguing to see the progress of their partnership. In addition, viewers are curious to find out what kind of events the two characters will face in the beautiful but dangerous Mount Jiri.

“Jirisan” premieres on October 23. Watch a preview here!

Source

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

“Jirisan” Writer Introduces Supporting Cast Members Sung Dong Il, Go Min Si, Oh Jung Se, And More

Oct 21, 2021 by D. Kim

Jirisan” has revealed images of the supporting cast!

Written by Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

Ahead of the premiere this week, writer Kim Eun Hee took time to introduce the supporting characters and the actors taking on the roles.

Sung Dong Il plays Jo Dae Jin, head of the Haedong Branch Office. Kim Eun Hee spoke about the role, “Jo Dae Jin is the head of his household but also the head of the Haedong Branch Office at Mount Jiri. He has a great sense of responsibility and also experienced pain, but he managed to overcome it and did a good job as a leader that manages the rangers well.

sung-dong-il.jpeg

Kim Eun Hee shared about Oh Jung Se’s character Jung Goo Young, “Because the job of being a ranger is working for others, the sense of responsibility and duty are emphasized more, but I thought of Jung Goo Young as a shallow character who can complain and express dissatisfaction, seeming like the only actual human. However, he is a character who is hard to dislike.”

oh-jungse.jpeg

Spoiler

On the character Park Il Hae, played by Jo Han Chul, Kim Eun Hee revealed, “This character is most similar to the images of actual rangers I met through interviews. He is a character most fitting with the image of always having a sense of responsibility, a sense of duty, and feeling the need to protect the mountain and its visitors.”

jo-han-chul.jpeg

Joo Min Kyung takes on the role of Lee Yang Sun, an administrative employee of Haedong Branch Office. Kim Eun Hee explained, “Rather than rescue efforts, she is a character who supports rangers with her work in the office.”

joo-min-kyung.jpeg

About Go Min Si as ranger Lee Da Won, Kim Eun Hee commented, “I thought of Da Won as a refreshing and cute character who is a bit small, cute, and bright. Due to those aspects, Go Min Si fit the image well. I think her actual lovable charms have been expressed well into her character.”

go-min-si.jpeg

“Jirisan” premieres on October 23.

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

@maysdramas

#Jirisan’s Ep 1 Preview

“Summer 2018

Hyun Jo, the rookie ranger who was assigned to Jirisan National Park Haedong Branch will hurriedly deployed to the rescuing site from the first day at work. If they want to save it they have to find it before the typhoon hits

Hyonjo joins the search group with the experienced ranger Yikang who’s strong and relentless, known as the “Mantis”. In midst storm, numerous ranger risk their lives to find the survivors but no one can find them. That time a certain image appeared in front of HJ like a fantasy”

FCRJCbmVEAUPYcz?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 6

I'm still wondering what kind of story will this drama serve us with. I have high expectation from this writer since I love what she did with Kingdom and Signal (I can't exactly remember but I think I quite liked 3 Days as well). Since it says it's a mystery drama...and it looks like it has something to do with murder/s...so I'm guessing something along solving crimes type of drama? But somehow it's not done but the police but by the rangers??? Are the rangers in South Korea somehow part of law&order personnel?? 

Well~ Not sure whether I'll be following this drama while it's airing... as usual, I'm a more binge-it type of person. But will probably check this thread to see whether this drama is worth watching after all :cool:

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

Ohhhh heyyyyy this starts today (or more like the subbed stuff will be release tomorrow)! I wasn't sure if I was going to watch last year because a story about mountains didn't sound interesting...but then the writers, the cast and the promotional materials looked good....so here I am :wow:

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

The hype is real! KEH's introduction of the characters, which explains so much and yet reveals so little about the actual structure of the drama. One of the lines in the 8min highlight reel hinted that perhaps one of the sunbaes is a suspect, which makes me pay closer attention to her description of the 3 senior rangers. Assuming that line was not just a red herring, then one of them is more than what we see. If so, I have my suspicions who it is at the moment based on her descriptions, but it's early early days yet, and I am hoping to have the rug pulled from under my feet. The tvN Asia teaser states it will only premiere on 24 Oct. Will iQiYi be broadcasting Sat or Sun? 1 (or 2) more days to go!

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

Counting down... 1 more hour to go!

Jun Ji Hyun And Joo Ji Hoon Embark On An Emergency Rescue Mission In “Jirisan”

Jun Ji Hyun And Joo Ji Hoon Embark On An Emergency Rescue Mission In “Jirisan”

Oct 23, 2021
by U. Kim

Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon will begin a rescue mission in the first episode of tvN’s “Jirisan.”

Written by Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

A tense atmosphere surrounds the rangers as an accident seems to have occurred in the mountains. Seo Yi Kang’s expression reflects the gravity of the situation as she stands in front of a white board where they’ve written the details of their rescue mission. Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo then head outside to begin their search, but the dark clouds above them begin to pour rain. While they make their way through the dangerous rain that hinders their vision, Seo Yi Kang picks up a sky blue backpack. Back at the branch office, Jo Dae Jin (Sung Dong Il) gauges the situation and leads the rangers through the mission, but there is worry written all over his face, making it difficult to predict how the rescue mission will go.

jirisan2.jpeg

In a different set of stills, Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo discover something strange about the mountain.

As people who are in charge of protecting the mountain, the rangers are familiar with every nook and cranny of Mount Jiri. However, Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo appear to have stumbled upon a side of Mount Jiri they’ve never seen before that has made them bring their guards up. The fog that has engulfed the mountain only adds to the eeriness.

Kang Hyun Jo stares down at something with a serious face, raising questions about what he could have found. Seo Yi Kang looks up at Kang Hyun Jo with a mix of emotions, and Kang Hyun Jo is seen carefully approaching something with a single flashlight in his hand.

jirisan-2.jpeg

What strange things could be happening in the mountains, and what will happen to the rangers who have come face to face with with the mystery?

cr. Soompi

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

It just occurred to me that every streaming platform I've ever joined was due to Kim Eun Hee - iflix for Signal, Netflix for Kingdom, and now on iQIYI for Jirisan. KEH-nim, can you please be kind to my wallet and not broadcast your next drama on yet another new platform?

To be honest, despite her never having failed my expectations, I still approached Jirisan with no little trepidation just as I did all her previous works -my faith so abysmally lacking that I still find myself afraid that perhaps this time, she might fall short of the mark. And as always, she proved me wrong yet again. What an episode which exceeded my expectations and then some. The spectacular opening cinematography serving as a mini-documentary of Mt. Jiri captures the rugged, breathtaking beauty, history, mysticism and heart of the mountain, setting the tone so perfectly for what is to come. We're then thrown right into the heart of non-stop action - showcasing the skills, tenacity and dedication of the rangers, braving the elements and harsh terrain, putting their lives on the line to protect those under their jurisdiction. There is nary a moment to breathe and I am often left at the edge of my seat as the search hits snag after snag, each moment growing more frantic than before, even more so when we are privy to the heartbreaking desolation of the boy who is missing. The defeat when they are forced to turn back in the face of impossible odds; the tears that brim when the delayed messages arrive; the terrible dread when at last the boy is found through KHJ's uncanny visions, not knowing if they were too late. Then before the dust barely gets to settle down, we are thrown 2 years hence. At last, I understand the reason for all the secrecy surrounding its premise. Nothing, nothing prepared me for the reveals - the previously alluded supernatural elements back in full force with the markers that only SYG and KHJ knew pointing to locations of missing persons in the past year... an impossibility considering the current condition of the two rangers - one disabled, the other comatose. And the closing words - "Someone is sending me a signal... "

WOW. That is as close to a perfect opening episode as I can ever hope for. Not a single moment wasted, water-tight narration, paired with precise direction, breathtaking cinematography - be it sweepingly grandiose, ominous - and the strong strong performances that brought the script to life. There is such a nuanced balance between heart-stopping action and the intimate human element that drives the frenzy - all the more poignant when we realise that what is presumed to be the mindset of the missing person determines the search areas - suicide spots vs survival points - whereby the victim's chances of survival hinges very much on the accuracy of the speculation, particularly in such a vast terrain to be covered by a limited number of search teams. And I can just gape in awe of how brilliantly it has delivered in the short space of just over an hour. To top it off, the easter eggs that peppered the episode are the veritable icing on the cake - such a treat for KEH fans. The totally unexpected cameo of Ryu Seung-ryong as the narrator of the documentary, a mini-reunion of the Kingdom alumni that is bittersweet as it is unlikely we will see him in subsequent seasons of Kingdom. The meta-allusion to Signal in the closing lines just brings back all the feels once more. Will we see more in future episodes? Is it Ep 2 yet?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@liddiI liked the 1st episode alot. Very engaging. 

Some quick recaps/ spoilers

As expected from this writer, there's always an element of fantasy and as mentioned by @movingwheel this comes in the form of Kang Hyun Jo's ability to see where the missing hikers are. This became immediately useful in his 1st assignment with the team on an extremely stormy day when they went looking for a missing boy whom they had thought was suicidal. As the golden time for rescue missions was 30 hours, Seo Yi Gang decided to go look for the boy despite the bad weather. As Hyun Jo had a vision of where the boy could be, he decided to follow her. Long story short after looking at several places, he described the place he saw in his vision. They found the boy in a secluded cave just as per his description. Later on when they returned there with a historian who had come to take photos , they discover an ancient way of sending signal when one is lost. At this point when YG asked HJ how he had known about the location of the missing boy, she brushed off his reply that he saw he gets this visions of missing hikers. 

The 1st 40 minutes was spent in 2018 on that 1st case, and we were also introduced to Sung Dong Il's character - he was Jo Dae Jin who was in charge of the operations, Oh Jung Se's character Jung Goo Yong and Jo Han Chul's character Park Il Hae who was also the team leader. They were a dedicated team who were willing to risk their own lives to save missing hikers.

But then the drama fast fowards to 2020. Yi Gang returns to base but now in a wheelchair. Park Il Hae is nowhere to be seen and Hyun Jo as we will discover is in coma in ICU. Go MinSi's character appears in 2020 as a newbie ranger & they were closing off a case where the hiker could not be found. YiGang appeals to Chief Jo to look at a particular spot. They found the body. Jo asked YG how she knew and she mentioned that from pictures taken of the joint search with the fire department, she realised that someone was sending signals to her using the ancient method that only she and Hyun Jo was aware of. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM If it wasn't apparent in my post, I love Ep1 too :laugh: I definitely got my wish of having the rug pulled from under my feet with the reveal, and now I am all the more eager to find out how everything came about. Is KHJ somehow able to project himself out of his comatose state to leave markers for SYG, his innate supernatural ability and indomitable will to save the victims transcending his physical condition? Assuming KHJ is the one leaving the recent markers, who left the marker for KHJ to find in Ep1?  Is the ominous aura from the mysterious yet to be introduced killer alone, or is the supernatural element also tied to the mountain itself... considering the sudden change of weather and loss of signal which plagued our missing boy. Questions questions. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Congratulations! May this momentum continue all the way to the end!

Jun Ji Hyun And Joo Ji Hoon’s “Jirisan” Achieves Highest Premiere Ratings Of Any Weekend Drama In tvN History

Jun Ji Hyun And Joo Ji Hoon’s “Jirisan” Achieves Highest Premiere Ratings Of Any Weekend Drama In tvN History

Oct 24, 2021
by E. Cha

Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon’s new drama “Jirisan” has already made tvN history!

Penned by “Kingdom” writer Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as her rookie partner Kang Hyun Jo, who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama will follow the story that unfolds as the two rangers begin to uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

On October 23, the highly-anticipated new drama premiered to No. 1 ratings straight out of the gate. According to Nielsen Korea, the first episode of “Jirisan” scored an average nationwide rating of 9.1 percent, taking first place in its time slot across all channels (even including public broadcast networks).

With this strong start, “Jirisan” achieved the second-highest viewership ratings of any drama premiere in tvN history, bested only by “Hospital Playlist 2” (which premiered to an average nationwide rating of 10.0 percent earlier this year). “Jirisan” also set a new record for the highest premiere ratings of any weekend drama in the history of the network, breaking the previous record of 8.9 percent held by “Mr. Sunshine.”

Additionally, “Jirisan” took first place in its time slot—including public broadcast networks—among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 5.4 percent.

cr. Soompi

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 3

@liddiEven though I should not have been surprised with the supernatural angle given her past work, I still was. I didn't expect it since , she kept saying it was going to be some healing drama or something like that. LOL! In Signal , since it was never explained why they could communicate across the different time spans, I wonder if we will get any straight up answers.

Is there a possibility of the spiritual guardians of the mountains being the ones to send these signals? Though this is folklore , but it may not be too far fetch given that the drama has a fantasy angle to it. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

It's interesting how in 2018 it's KHJ first day, and in 2020 it become SYK first day again after reinstated. And both wearing uniform on their so called first day. In 2020 SYK seems become the new message relayer, after KHJ went in coma. I guess the Signal element is still present on this drama. 

Overall I think the drama is giving new fresh perspective with the seldom explored topic of mountain ranger life. But I'm still hoping for something more spectacular along the way, as the hype of the drama is so high. 

The budget for this drama is a whooping 27.4 million USD wow! I was wondering how to get this money back, but I read Iqiyi bought this and already cover 80% of the production cost. So I guess advertisements will make for the rest of the costs easily. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Just wanted to say that I’ve finished Ep 1 and wow. Totally understand why Jirisan broke the weekend viewership record! Right out of the gate we can see the production value - I loved all the scenery shots (made me miss hiking). The air of mystery and hint of something fantasy/supernatural is intriguing. I did not expect this angle at all, so it was a pleasant surprise. The ending of Ep 1 made me want mooorrre. It’s gonna be a long wait for every weekend again lol.

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1