Jirisan 지리산 [2021]

stroppyse

The 1st soundtrack is released!

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

Recaps here

cp_newsen.gif

I didn't know that 'Mt. Jiris' was so scary.. 12.5% of the nation's highest in 2 episodes

Hyo-Joo Bae Input 2021. 10. 25. 08:20

20211025082039570blrr.jpg20211025082039690cryk.jpg

(Photo=tvN)

The mystery of death began in earnest in 'Mt. Jirisan'.

The second episode of tvN's 15th anniversary special project 'Jirisan' (played by Eunhee Kim/Directed by Eungbok Lee/produced by A-Story, Studio Dragon, Baram Pictures), aired on October 24th, had an average rating of 12.2% and a maximum of 14.4% for all households in the metropolitan area, including terrestrial broadcasters. The channel ranked first in the same time zone, with an average of 10.7% for households nationwide and 12.5% for the highest, taking the top spot in the same time zone including cable and general programming. In just two episodes, it broke the double digits and showed an upward trend.

The tvN target male and female 2049 viewership ratings also recorded an average of 5.7%, a maximum of 6.8%, a national average of 5.4%, and a maximum of 6.5% in the metropolitan area. Based on paid platforms/ provided by Nielsen Korea).

In the second episode of the day, the mystery that stimulates the reasoning cells in earnest amid the mysteries of Mt. Jirisan, which is on the borderline between death and life, took off the veil and gave more immersive fun.

First, in 2018, new ranger Kang Hyun-jo (Ju Ji-hoon) climbed the mountain even on off-duty days as if looking for something. But at this time, once again, visions of the survivor flashed through his mind. A view of a misty pine colony, a ribbon tied to a tree, and bloody hands. So I asked Seo Yi-gang (Jeon Ji-hyun), a senior who guessed the place of distress just by looking at the leaves, and found out that it was a pine forest, and I met Kim Ki-chang (Kim Min-ho) who said he was looking for the remains of his missing father, and decided to help him.

However, Kim Ki-chang was a con artist who forced the missing person to illegally excavate a pine tree and a murderer who killed him. He was trying to find the deposit in the bag of the missing person he dropped from the cliff. There was a tense tension between the murderer who revealed his true nature and Kang Hyeon-jo, who was trying to stop the truth, and the crisis escalated as Kang Hyeon-jo was struck by a knife and collapsed.

Meanwhile, Seo Yi-gang, who started to worry about Kang Hyeon-jo, eventually found a police box to investigate the case and found out the identity of Kim Ki-chang. Sensing the danger, she immediately climbed the mountain to find Kang Hyeon-jo, who was stabbed and in distress, and even noticed the location of Kim Ki-chang, which he left with a mark on a stone and a tree branch. In response, the ranger and the police accompany Kim Ki-chang to catch Kim Ki-chang, and her skillful beauty gave her a sense of exhilaration.

This incident made the trust between Seo Yi-gang and Kang Hyeon-jo grow, and it was revealed that the sign indicating the location became a signal for the two of them. In addition, Seo Yi-gang saw the daughter who lost her father in the mountains and remembered the pain of my childhood when I lost my parents in a flood accident in the past. The crying daughter's tears touched the hearts of not only Seo Yi-gang, but also the viewers. For some, it is a place where they come to find the hope of winning the lottery that has been blown away by the wind, but for others, it was a passage that made them feel again about Mt.

And the mystery also heralded the start in earnest. When Kang Hyeon-jo wandered through the mountain with a knife, he followed the guide ribbon hanging from a tree to show the way, but there was a dizzying cliff at the end, and he suspected that it was “as if he was deliberately trying to get him lost.” In particular, the ribbon that appeared in this case in 2018 was also caught in another distress case in 2020. Seo Yi-gang, who was visiting police officer Kim Woong-soon (Jeon Seok-ho) to investigate the suspicious matter, unexpectedly found bloody ribbons in the seat of the branch manager Jo Dae-jin (Seong Dong-il), and her eyes, shaking without mercy, confused even the viewers.

On the other hand, a clue was revealed that the reason why Seo Yi-kang was in a wheelchair in 2020 and Kang Hyeon-jo fell into a coma was due to distress. Seo Yi-gang's sad eyes, who replied, "We were just trying to protect the mountain," to Jo Dae-jin, who asked why he climbed the snowy mountain that day, made the whole story even more curious. In addition, at the request of Seo Yi-gang, the chick ranger Lee Da-won (Ko Min-si), who went to leave a mark pointing to the Haedong branch on the mountain, faced an unidentified shadow in the forest and decorated a more delicate ending.

Source: daum | translated by Papago

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

oh my..... busy during whole day ....now when i am opening this forum , i am happy to see all these things.... yep so Go Min Si's character description ultimately told us about Yi Kang Communicating with Hyun Jo and his wandering soul or whatever it is.... A Soul is a Soul.... how can it be a mortal frame??? but nevertheless , I am fine with creative liberty...i dont care much when I am entertained....

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

18 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Oh nooo...personally I think maybe cause I don't expect a lot from dramas where it comes to CGI, I wasn't really affected. But ....for me the story is interesting so far. 

I just close an eye regarding the CGI since we usually get sub-par effects for kdramas so I’m used to it. It’s not bad to the point where it overshadows the story.

As for the choice of bgm... I have issues with it lol. They keep using english songs that don’t match the vibe of what’s happening on screen?!😅

• Haha 6
On 10/24/2021 at 9:53 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

Ji-hyun plays experienced star ranger Seo Yi-gang, who becomes the partner of rookie ranger Kang Hyun-jo, portrayed by Ji-hoon.

As they spend long hours together as senior-junior colleagues, their relationship blossoms as well. 

Link

And about this drama genre, I'm also a bit confused, thriller and healing don't really go well together. It should be either one, trying to be both I think might be too ambitious. 

On 10/24/2021 at 10:51 PM, im0202 said:

Huh did they really state that this was to be a healing drama? 
I don’t get that at all, it’s a thriller/suspense all the way for me.

From the link @SilverMoonTea provided, the writer says this:

While the trailer teases viewers with an action-packed plot, writer Kim Eun-hee revealed that Jirisan not only revolves around mystery and suspense. “I feel that I’ve only talked about murders, but I do feel a need for the show to heal the soul,” she said. 

Eun-hee, who also wrote hits Signal and Kingdom, teamed up with cinematographer Choi Sang-mook for the series. “We have chosen to follow the story of park rangers among the mountains, trees, and nature of Jirisan. In our mundane reality, I hope the series’ spotlight of the beautiful peak can help viewers cleanse their negative emotions.” 

Could the healing be from... the scenery? 👀😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Hmm, some reactions have not been favourable.

Header_NB.png

Spoiler

Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon's 'Jirisan' debuts to underwhelming reviews

Sunday, October 24, 2021

Article: 'Beauty Inside' director has harsh words for 'Jirisan' first episode, "The drama made Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon look like they can't act"

Source: Insight via Instagram

1. [+645] I think even Kim Eun Hee is surprised at this point

2. [+599] Wow... I did not think that bad directing could make even great actors look so bad... 

3. [+292] I switched channels while watching, it was honestly so disappointing

4. [+220] I had high expectations after watching the trailer only to be disappointed with this... Impossible CG, a mess of a plot... Way to make a huge flop with a great cast of actors.

5. [+197] There is a serious problem with the directing for such top name actors to look this awkward

6. [+174] I did end up finishing it but I don't think I'll ever watch it again

7. [+131] Uh... terrible CG, distracting background music... I don't know if the acting was that bad but I still enjoyed it...

8. [+45] I thought the same, it was pretty disappointing...

9. [+33] Pretty surprised at how underwhelming it was ㅎ

10. [+23] I think they focused too much on the cinematography;; It ruined the focus on the main plot...

11. [+15] I was shocked at how bad the CG and the song choices were...

12. [+11] I fell asleep while watching it

Investors worry over the catastrophic reviews for 'Jirisan'

Monday, October 25, 2021

Article: Bought into 'Jirisan' in trust of Jun Ji Hyun... but lost money due to bad CG

Source: Han via Naver

1. [+3,286, -34] It's not like the drama takes place in the Himalayas, it's just the Jirisan so why not go film there on site? 

2. [+2,675, -62] Couldn't focus. All of the rangers had such clean skin with long, flowy hair. They looked like they went to get facial treatments every day.

3. [+1,903, -34] Their money would've been better spent not on casting expensive actors and CG-ing everything but on good actors who are willing to film on site without the need for such obvious CG.

4. [+1,627, -278] Getting bored of Jun Ji Hyun...

5. [+987, -28] Would it have been so hard for them to just film it at Jirisan instead...?

6. [+506, -41] Jun Ji Hyun's bad at acting, her talent has always been overblown

7. [+360, -16] Jun Ji Hyun does not try enough for how much she's paid

8. [+330, -1] I watched it briefly while flipping through channels and what stood out to me was how clean the supposed outdoors were and the leads all looked like super clean CF models

9. [+340, -23] Hasn't Jun Ji Hyun made enough with her millions in CFs over decades? Enough with her.. I'm so tired of her

10. [+266, -3] I'm tired of watching greedy pigs on TV, I want to see some hungry actors who are willing to do some actual hard work

11. [+246, -3] I'm telling you, this drama is just a 30 billion won NEPA CF

12. [+235, -6] It's not like the drama's about Mount Everest or Baekdoo, why would you even bother CG-ing Jirisan... damn, the actors must've really not wanted to do any hiking pfft

13. [+234, -15] Jun Ji Hyun's acting was just terrible, this is a mess of a drama

14. [+203, -2] I'm fine with actors maintaining their image or whatever but please maintain your acting skills too. Viewers care more about drama immersion than actors just... looking pretty on the screen. The reason Lee Jung Jae of 'Squid Game' is getting so much praise is because he was totally true to his character no matter what it did to his image.

15. [+175, -0] The drama itself is titled 'Jirisan'... if they weren't willing to film it at the actual location, why did they agree to the casting?

16. [+163, -3] It's titled 'Jirisan' but filmed at a studio... If they're going to CG everything, at least don't make it so obvious... And why are the rangers so pasty, do they cake up in sunscreen or what?

But we should be happy we didn't get this! 🤣

Spoiler

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Caught Ep2 live, but couldn't find the time to put my thoughts down until now. 

The pace has dialed back considerably compared to the high-octane action of the pilot episode, with inklings into secrets, tragedies and otherworldly undercurrents that surround the mountain, while gaining more insight into SYG's past and what drives her. We are confronted right off the bat with the killer and his (?) MO, who by the looks of it, was already operating in the mountains 2 years prior even before KHJ's arrival, and remains active in present day. Mentors and colleagues who were once like family, are now mysterious, unwelcoming and sullen. The once-supportive head ranger appears sceptical of her farfetched theories, and attempts to get her transferred away from Haedong Ranger station. Is it out of consideration for what she had been through, or does he have secrets to hide? The bloodied yellow ribbons seem to indicate the latter. Assuming the victims are confined only to illegal hikers (with the ribbons deliberately misguiding them to their deaths), why are they targeted? Are they viewed as a threat to the sanctity of Mt. Jiri which the killer has a fanatical obsession to protect? Or am I just overthinking it? I also suspect the existence of a 2nd perpetrator 

Spoiler

Kim Sol - is he far more than just our friendly, neighbourhood historical researcher since he has popped up in both episodes

but my suspicions are unsubstantiated for now, and purely due to my overactive imagination!

I appreciate how the rookie ranger is not portrayed to be a fool despite his willingness to reach out a helping hand, and that ultimately both he and SYG apprehended the perpetrator by working from separate ends, him leaving and she interpreting the marker that would point to the location he lured the man to. Speaking of markers, rather than being randomly placed, my understanding is that in the past, SYG and KHJ had agreed upon specific locations all over Mt Jiri in which to place the markers, hence her knowledge of where to look. My question is whether the marker they found near YSH was really left by the partisans, or an otherworldly sign by someone in present day.

I am still not very clear as to the nature of KHJ's visions. Initially, I assumed that they appear in response to the fate that befell the victims e.g. his knowledge of where YSH was hiding out after his signal was lost - the weather was still clear with sunlight in his visions, while the storm was already raging when the vision came to him. However, Ep2 clearly worked differently with the visions being predictive of what would befall him later. So which is it exactly? 

Another thing that remains to be seen is what the fog represents. In Ep1, we see the fog moving ominously across the lake after YSH lost signal and the weather around him darkened, which seems to indicate that the fog is a harbinger (or perhaps the cause) of the impending danger. Yet in Ep2, the fog was seen moving across the forest after LDW placed the marker at Mang-bawi Rock, preceding the appearance of the ghostly figure. Knowing as we do the identity of the figure, are they related to one another? While arguably we never saw the ghostly figure in Ep1, we did see the marker, which helped them identify YSH's location. Was it the work of KHJ's spirit who was working even then to try and save lives in danger at Mt. Jiri? He said that he kept seeing the location of lost hikers on the mountain. Was a part of his spirit already trapped in Mt. Jiri since his training accident at Mt. Jiri years prior?

To be honest, I was surprised to see how quickly the identity of the ghostly figure is revealed. Rather than keeping us as viewers guessing at least until the next episode with the pan up from the shoes to the bloodied "Korea National Park Service" coat to the ghostly eyes under the hood, that mystery is cleared up at the very next second. Likewise, the killer's gloves seem to be an almost dead give-away in light of Ep3's preview. Considering there are 14 episodes left, I am keen to see how KEH retains enough suspense and secrecy that would keep the viewers intrigued for the remainder of the drama.

Spoiler

FCvrAx6UUAMJdYd?format=jpg&name=medium

Bad reviews, criticisms of production quality and plummeting share prices notwithstanding (some comments I read seem nationalistic - iQIYI's funding not sitting well with some Korean viewers, being a Chinese company), it is early days yet in my eyes. Am keeping fingers crossed that it will ultimately win over its detractors. Even if it didn't, I remain hopeful that it will continue to deliver and keep me invested all the way to the end. Please do so.

Edited by liddi
  • Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Watch: “Jirisan” Shows Off Elaborate Set And Cast’s Close Chemistry During Filming

Oct 28, 2021 by S. Cho

tvN’s “Jirisan” has shared an exciting new behind-the-scenes video!

Written by Kim Eun Hee, tvN’s “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

The new clip starts out by introducing the drama’s incredible set and revealing that the drama’s production period was one year and seven months, with a total of around 250 staff members.

In the first scene, Sung Dong Il’s improvisations make the entire cast have to stifle their laughter, with Jun Ji Hyun even having to cover her face so she doesn’t ruin the take. Later, Jun Ji Hyun is filming a scene where she’s going through files on the computer. Sung Dong Il approaches her and asks, “What are you doing?” When she stares back at him blankly, he adds, “Are you gaming?” causing even the director to start laughing.

They try the scene again, and this time, Jun Ji Hyun jokingly responds with a smile, “Can’t you see?” Sung Dong Il remarks with a laugh, “I wish the drama were this bright and cheerful.”

Next, both Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon film high-intensity scenes that show off the elaborate sets used for “Jirisan.” In another scene, Joo Ji Hoon is coming down from the mountain on a rope when he jumps and lands awkwardly in a spot far away from the area he was aiming for. However, he optimistically adds with a bright smile, “[Kang Hyun Jo] shouldn’t be too good [on his first day] anyway.”

Near the end, actor Ryu Seung Ryong arrives to film his cameo appearance and introduces his character as the director of the Mount Jiri Exhibition. He comments, “I read the script, and I think it’ll be very fun. Although it’s a small role, it’s such an honor to participate in this project with writer Kim Eun Hee, PD Lee Eung Bok, and actors Joo Ji Hoon, Jun Ji Hyun, Oh Jung Se, and Sung Dong Il, all of whom I respect.”

Watch the full clip below!

Source

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

Prior to watching the first 2 eps, I actually read some of the negative comments (mainly CGI and product placement stuff but didn't really read anything about bad acting). I don't know about my level of 'expertise' when it comes to detecting bad CGI, but I really couldn't detect any... I thought the sceneries looked beautiful and didn't look unnatural :laugh: However, I did look away from the screen several times here and there so maybe the bad CGI scenes occurred during those times? :idk: 

In relation to product placement, also didn't realise any except the burgers?sandwich? the new girl bought SYK. I may not be familiar of Korean products and maybe that's why I don't catch many placements??? Shrugs. 

Not sure about bad acting... 

Overall, I actually enjoyed the first two eps! I found it to be quite intriguing and interesting... and different. So yes I love them so far. I'm glad that I watched the two eps back to back because some of the questions I had in episode 1 were answered in ep 2. 

What's the chance that none of the Haedong Branch Office is the bad guy? I just hope they don't make Sung Dong Il and Oh Jung Se characters to be villain :yoongibtspls:

I personally don't quite like it that they updated the character's intro and included the information that the man in the hood the newbie met at the end of ep 2 is Hyun Jo :NoHalCat: I mean...unless they did show that it was Hyun Jo but I missed it?? I thought that was supposed to be a mystery to be answered at least in ep 3. Now that they revealed it through update...it's like...why????? 

So we got all supernatural themes in Signal, Kingdom and Jirisan.. in Signal at least we dealt with real people...in Kingdom zombies..and Jirisan...ghost??? :lmao2: As long as they're good I don't mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

18 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

In relation to product placement, also didn't realise any except the burgers?sandwich? the new girl bought SYK. I may not be familiar of Korean products and maybe that's why I don't catch many placements??? Shrugs.

I don't remember much but one that the camera actually focused into it. I think it's episode 2 just before Ju Ji Hoon goes out for training on the Rangers' off day and Oh Jung Se or Jo Hyun Chul offered him a pack of pink herbal medicine. When he handed it to JJH, the camera zoomed in on the brand. I also suspect the outdoor attires these Rangers wear, especially Jeon Ji Hyun, might also be part of the PPL. Everything else I don't remember.

The CGI bit mainly for me was the scene where the rocks tumbled down (Jeon Ji Hyun heroic entrance) and a scene of her and Ju Ji Hoon standing on top of the mountain in episode 1, which you can tell that it was fake. But episode 2 which Ju Ji Hoon climbed to the top of the mountain seems believable and I think that's real.

18 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

What's the chance that none of the Haedong Branch Office is the bad guy? I just hope they don't make Sung Dong Il and Oh Jung Se characters to be villain

I don't think Oh Jung Se is a villain this time but Sung Dong Il seems to be fishy since Jeon Ji Hyun found the yellow ribbons in his drawer. Another candidate would be the police guy who equally has done his fair share of shady characters in other dramas. LOL, good luck guessing @Chocolate :laugh:

• Haha 6

@SnowBlob @mademoiselle  Ditto about noticing poor CGI. The only one that stood out to me was the glare framing Ryu Seung Ryeong during his docu-narrative. Everything else does not look overly fake or awkward to me... perhaps I just don't have such a discerning eye.

As for PPL, isn't that the staple of kdramas, like the infamous Subway sandwich of the not-too-distant past, which was even served during tvN's 10th anniversary event? PPL is peppered in the 1st two episodes, but I don't feel that it is in the face - Maxim coffee, NEPA windbreakers, the mineral water, the noodles (?), BB Lab collagen powder that was offered to KHJ, LDW's Egg Drop sandwich (probably missed out a lot more!). 

Ep2 did reveal the identity of the hooded figure the next moment after we see his eyes at the very last scene, so that was intentional. What really disappointed me was reading that tvN had to release character backstories that revealed pertinent parts of the plot. To me, this unfortunately spoils the viewer experience since we are no longer privy to the clues, red herrings, twists and turns that is so synonymous with KEH's scripts at the pace that she originally intended. The upside of this decision is that the domestic viewers are now recanting their recent criticisms and expressing their awe of her script. Sigh. Anyone who is interested in the spoilers can read about it in this Koreaboo article. I personally tried to avoid reading the details, only skimming through to read the netizen reactions pre- and post-reveal. I just hope that from here on, the drama will be judged based on the script,  performances and direction, and the harping of PPL and CGI is the thing of the past. Fingers crossed.

Edited by liddi
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

On 10/28/2021 at 3:25 AM, liddi said:

To be honest, I was surprised to see how quickly the identity of the ghostly figure is revealed. Rather than keeping us as viewers guessing at least until the next episode with the pan up from the shoes to the bloodied "Korea National Park Service" coat to the ghostly eyes under the hood, that mystery is cleared up at the very next second. Likewise, the killer's gloves seem to be an almost dead give-away in light of Ep3's preview. Considering there are 14 episodes left, I am keen to see how KEH retains enough suspense and secrecy that would keep the viewers intrigued for the remainder of the drama.

On 10/28/2021 at 4:29 PM, SnowBlob said:

I personally don't quite like it that they updated the character's intro and included the information that the man in the hood the newbie met at the end of ep 2 is Hyun Jo  I mean...unless they did show that it was Hyun Jo but I missed it?? I thought that was supposed to be a mystery to be answered at least in ep 3. Now that they revealed it through update...it's like...why?????

You're sharp @liddi. I didn't even notice about the glove! The Chief does seem quite suspicious, but according to Agatha Christie, the most obvious one is always not the one 😂

I'm surprised too that TVN solved the ghost mystery for us. Let's hope that this would have been revealed soon anyway. I remember in "Mine", the pace was fast and questions were answered episode after episode and yet there was always more to come. It was really enjoyable.

Some stills from the earlier episodes. I really liked seeing the teamwork in bring the boy down the mountain. Read somewhere it takes 5 hours without helicopter.

FCwi3sfUcAArt6g?format=jpg&name=large

FCwi3lgUcAgRtuK?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

FCwi2v9UcAItBCi?format=jpg&name=large

FCwi2v8UcAE7X40?format=jpg&name=large

FCwi3iEVUAId_VD?format=jpg&name=large

On 10/24/2021 at 7:30 PM, Alice Wonderland said:

JJH will wake up in next episodes right?? Don't tell me he'll be sleeping on the bed all through the episodes. Also, I wonder how could YG solve the mystery when she must need her wheelchair everywhere??

On 10/24/2021 at 7:51 PM, abs-oluteM said:

@Alice Wonderland ahaha that was my first question too ...would I be seeing Ju Ji Hoon only in flashbacks? This is the second drama I am currently watching where the central male figure is in coma in present time. LOL 

I have bad news for you @Alice Wonderland @abs-oluteM. According to the koreaboo article

Spoiler

He is brain dead. Not in a coma 😲

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2
6 minutes ago, liddi said:

@SnowBlob @mademoiselle  Ditto about noticing poor CGI. The only one that stood out to me was the glare framing Ryu Seung Ryeong during his docu-narrative. Everything else does not look overly fake or awkward to me... perhaps I just don't have such a discerning eye.

As for PPL, isn't that the staple of kdramas, like the infamous Subway sandwich of the not-too-distant past, which was even served during tvN's 10th anniversary event? PPL is peppered in the 1st two episodes, but I don't feel that it is in the face - Maxim coffee, NEPA windbreakers, the mineral water, the noodles (?), BB Lab collagen powder that was offered to KHJ, LDW's Egg Drop sandwich (probably missed out a lot more!). 

Ep2 did reveal the identity of the hooded figure the next moment after we see his eyes at the very last scene, so that was intentional. What really disappointed me was reading that tvN had to release character backstories that revealed pertinent parts of the plot. To me, this unfortunately spoils the viewer experience since we are no longer privy to the clues, red herrings, twists and turns that is such so synonymous with KEH's scripts at the pace that she originally intended. The upside of this decision is that the domestic viewers are now recanting their recent criticisms and expressing their awe of her script. Sigh. Anyone who is interested in the spoilers can read about it in this Koreaboo article. I personally tried to avoid reading the details, only skimming through to read the netizen reactions pre- and post-reveal. I just hope that from here on, the drama will be judged based on the script,  performances and direction, and the harping of PPL and CGI is the thing of the past. Fingers crossed.

Agree that it was disappointing they revealed the hooded figure is Ju Ji Hoon so soon. I mean, at the time of watching, I just thought to myself the eyes are definitely him but I did not expect the media/tvN to confirm it is him. Thanks for the heads up, I am not going around reading articles or posts so I'm safely not spoiled yet.

• Like 6