The Oath of Love 余生,请多指教 [2022]

Tofu

26 minutes ago, IpohBanana said:

@movingwheel how did you find it?? I am apprehensive of watching the minute it airs. I'd like to give all of them a decent run before I begin.

I found Yang Zi better than Xiao Zhan for first episode.... he is not convincing enough as brooding Dr. Gu as much as I would have liked lead actor to...

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

I've seen the first 3 episodes and it's watchable. I enjoyed the Pride and Prejudice reference in the first episode although the FL's dad is really a bit over-the-top with the helicopter parent act.

I find the way the initial misunderstanding to be set up a little awkward but thankfully it doesn't last that long. There are some humorous moments and some serious ones already. I don't think they necessarily mesh that well. I don't like the fact that the family is concealing information from the patient. Right now it feels more like a rom com despite the serious nature of things although I don't know how they're going to do this for another 25 episodes. 

Not a huge fan of either of the leads although I saw Yang Zi recently in The Psychologist which I enjoyed but the medical and musical side of things drew me in. The good thing about this show is that there are new episodes everyday so no long waits.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 6

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@movingwheelShe and her father so chaotic lols... Actually GW also seems to be quite overbearing and share same traditional view with her father 😂 

I have to say I can relate with her, I also can't go back late last time when living with my parents 🙃 Luckily I didn't choose musical career like her lols. 

First time seeing XZ and was told he's the most handsome man in the world of 2020. Now is 2022, but maybe still relevant ?😆 He was a bit underwhelming at first, but I like the chaotic club scenes. 

Overall felt like normal C romcom, not sure I can finish & stay but let's see. Maybe they do have some good surprise to keep me entertained, I hope.

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

I've seen all available 7 episodes and each is better than the last. After a wobbly start the show has finally hit its strides It's a better show when it isn't trying to do the rom com playbook chapter and verse. When it starts to settle into a more slice-of-life mode, it's a good watch. Objectively I think Yang Zi is slightly better in this than Xiao Zhan and her experience definitely shows in her expressions and her delivery. I like her character more in this than the other two shows I've seen her in. The chemistry between the leads is good although maybe it's because of where they're at in their relationship at this point in time, there is some awkwardness. Understandably perhaps because Gu Wei is quite unsure about how he feels about Zhixiao or how he should act around her. 

It's become increasingly obvious that Gu Wei (Xiao Zhan) is very quickly falling for Lin Zhixiao (Yang Zi) in all their interactions. There is something about her outgoing "drama queen" personality that attracts him to her. This is often contrasted with his colder more collegial dynamic with Gao Xi a fellow gastroenterologist. Gao Xi is eager to get closer but these days he has his eye on the aspiring concert cellist and is more interested in getting her attention than giving Gao Xi any beyond perfunctory work interactions. There's a terrific scene in Episode 7 where this exemplified. The medical team is throwing a young patient going away party and there's cake involved. It's a well-written scene showcasing a love triangle in its formative stage and Gu Wei's shifting preferences from one of the women to the other. The normally reticent Gu Wei is becoming conscious of how he looks in front of Zhixiao who seems to sense some tension in the air but is otherwise blissfully oblivious.

The leads have really good interactions now that the misunderstandings have been set aside. They talk like old friends, they confide and they encourage one another. Gu Wei is on the verge of quitting clinical practice because of his own disappointment over his inability to save his mentor but he's (on paper) the best man for the job of dealing with Zhixiao's dad's cancer. He doesn't want to do it but everybody tries to change his mind. After some heart to heart, Gu Wei has a change of heart.

For some reason the father who is purportedly of my generation, irritates me with his overbearing, grumpy conservatism. Maybe he is disappointed at not having a son but he seems deliberately adamant on having an adversarial relationship with his daughter. It would be a lot worse if the rest of his family doesn't push back on his rhetoric but thankfully they do because all this murmurings can get old after a while. That said, I have enjoyed the family dynamics a lot more during their time in the hospital although it annoys me that they try to conceal the cancer diagnosis from the patient.

While I'm now hooked after Episodes 5-7, I am not that sold on the secondary romance. I don't particularly like the cousin or Zhixiao's bestie, Sansan at this point although it is easy enough to fast forward through their scenes without missing a whole lot. I feel like the two have a lot of growing up to do at this point. 

• Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I probably don't mind to get minor scratch and get attended by such handsome doctor :wow: And I think he look even better with mask? 

Spoiler

The romance build up for the OTP is natural and organic. It's actually so much better than the trailer and the poster (looks cheesy & badly edited somehow ?). The couple progress is not too fast and quite believable. 

Character wise, I like how she have good attitude despite the failure in her musical career. I felt her character setting very similar to Brahms drama, but hers more bright & positive. He seems to be just another good looking & talented doctor, but his weakness allowed her to go through his world. 

8 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I am not that sold on the secondary romance. I don't particularly like the cousin or Zhixiao's bestie, Sansan at this point although it is easy enough to fast forward through their scenes without missing a whole lot. I feel like the two have a lot of growing up to do at this point. 

Their character so one dimensional, and the actor / actress not convincing either. I tend to doing other stuff when they're on the screen. C drama really need start to learn to have different formula other than creating 2nd OTP as filler. It's getting old & tiring. 

8 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I'm now hooked after Episodes 5-7

Yesss.... Same! I quite surprised that I enjoyed this more than I thought I will. 

@IpohBananaHave you try this? 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@SilverMoonTea I'll start watching same time next week. I just started watching

Spoiler

Why Women Love and Hello, The Sharpshooter. There's something about Fair Xing that draws me into the dramas, she reminds me so much of Seven Tan whom I enjoy watching as well. As for the other drama, the OTP are cute, and Gina Jin's character and lifestyle is someone I wouldn't mind being (if I could choose to live my life all over again, but then again, I can't choose my height right... looks I could work on but height??) 

I'll add in my comments next week when I begin. Yang Zi is here, so I'm definitely watching, for sure!

[There's also the other one with Jeremy whom I'm buying time for as well.. heh heh ]

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Haha 2