River Where The Moon Rises/The Moon Rising River 달이 뜨는 강 [2021]

Tofu

9cvAfGy.png2nd Place Winner - JangHaven's 2021 Most Anticipated Drama

River Where The Moon Rises/The Moon Rising River 달이 뜨는 강

Note: Following bullying allegations, Ji Soo (main male lead) was removed from the drama after episode 6. Actor Na In Woo replaced Ji Soo as On Dal starting from episode 7. Victory Contents, the production company, has plans to re-edit episodes 1-6.

Spoiler

YHxn6Dp.jpg

Director: Yun Sang Ho (Previously directed King Maker: The Change of Destiny)

Writer: Ha Ji Hoon 

Network: KBS2

Episodes: 20

Release Date: February 15th, 2021 - TBD

Air Time: Monday and Tuesday @ 9:30PM KST

English Subtitles: Viu and Viki

Official Website: KBS Drama

Synopsis

The drama series is based on the 2010 novel Princess Pyeong Gang (평강공주) by film director and screenwriter, Choi Sagyu. It is a love story between Pyeong Gang and On Dal, who are characters in a classic Goguryeo folktale. Pyeong Gang, also known as Yeom Ga Jin, is an ambitious woman who dreams of becoming the first female to lead Goguryeo, and she uses On Dal’s feelings for her to achieve her goals.

Cast

ykbVXde.jpg

Kim So Hyun as Pyeong Gang

She is born a princess and raised a soldier. She is clever and level-headed. 

5HJYenq.jpg

Na In Woo as On Dal

He is a peace-loving, pure man who goes against his principles in order to protect Pyeong Gang. 

Spoiler

Ji Soo was removed from River Where the Moon Rises after ep. 6 aired following a school bullying controversy. There were a lot of allegations of physical abuse and even sexual abuse. Ji Soo admitted to the bullying through a handwritten letter he posted on his social media. As of March. 5th he has not for the sexual abuse allegations

https://www.soompi.com/article/1457474wpp/ji-soo-shares-handwritten-letter-of-apology-in-response-to-school-violence-allegations

https://www.soompi.com/article/1457681wpp/kbs-releases-official-statement-on-ji-soos-removal-from-river-where-the-moon-rises-and-plans-for-future-episodeshttps://www.soompi.com/article/1457684wpp/ji-soos-agency-releases-new-statement-regarding-past-school-violence-denies-sexual-violence-accusations

https://www.soompi.com/article/1457684wpp/ji-soos-agency-releases-new-statement-regarding-past-school-violence-denies-sexual-violence-accusations

7qXUWcC.jpg

Ji Soo as On Dal

He is a peace-loving, pure man who goes against his principles in order to protect Pyeong Gang. 

yrm1aAP.jpg

Kang Ha Neul as On Hyeop (On Dal's Father)

He is the chief of the Sunnobu tribe and a general for Goguryeo.

Lj1SiNb.jpg
Lee Ji Hoon as Go Geon

He is an elite general, who is perfect in every way. For the first time in his life, he longs to make Pyeong Gang his and dives into an intense fight for her heart.

d05kDHb.jpg
Choi Yoo Hwa as Hae Mo Yong

She is determined to control Goguryeo and play with it as she wants. She is a woman with a beautiful face, a meticulous personality, a special power to foresee the future, and a big secret of her own. Hae Mo Yong falls in love with Go Geon and adds to the excitement of the drama.

(Drama Information Credit)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Thanks for starting this thread @Tofu, but is Kang Ha Neul really old enough to play Ji Soo's father???? Isn't Kang Ha Neul like only 5 or 6 years older than JS?

It's only a cameo so there's a possibility that Kang Ha Neul's character will die early.....so maybe he's the father to a young On Dal? 

• Like 4

The Preview with Eng Sub

I like more when Kim So Hyun is playing a strong character.

LOL, when Ji Soo said "You are my country" - I can't not think about the drama "My Country". There's always a bit of a similarity there when there's war, everyone is fighting for their own definition of "my country".

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
14 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

LOL, when Ji Soo said "You are my country" - I can't not think about the drama "My Country".

Honestly, any time someone mentions or says the line, "my country", I think of the drama. Even when they say lines similar to the ones in the drama, I think of the drama. For example, when Ki Seon Gyeom was explaining about with running, he said you often do not look back and only care about the things in front of you. I thought about Seon Ho telling Hwi that he was always looking ahead and never realizing that his country was right behind him. I know not a lot of people liked My Country but I have a deep appreciation for it because of Seon Ho and Hwi. Admittedly, it might just be because of Woo Do Hwan and Yang Se Jong too. :laugh:

15 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I like more when Kim So Hyun is playing a strong character.

Agreed, it seems like she will be in this so I'm excited! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 1/13/2021 at 7:27 AM, Alice Wonderland said:

P.S. do we have drama with AHS and KYJ too? Hong Chung Gi, cuz this is on my watchlist too, 🤩

Think you found the thread right. Does this feel like the year of Sageuk to you? Looks like many shows are doing historical or at least somewhat fusion sageuk

------------------

Like the poster

104927820.1.jpg

Auto translated from here: https://www.ytn.co.kr/_sn/0117_202101141448479363

The contrast between the silhouette of Pyeonggang going steadily on a horse and the face of Ondal that fills the sky tells the character of the two characters. Expressing the life of Princess Pyeong-gang, who has an ambition to set up Goguryeo, the whole of her life, and On-dal, who loves that peace and spreads her love, with only one poster.

The teaser poster for 'The River Rising Moon' reminds me of many stories that will continue only with the silhouettes of two actors. In the drama that the'River of the Moon', which left another big impact as a teaser poster, wonders what kind of development will unfold.

The production crew said, "Through a teaser poster, we tried to symbolically express the narrative of Pyeonggang and Ondal. I hope you can look forward to the drama'River of the Moon,' which will invite viewers to the Goguryeo era, where Pyeonggang and Ondal passionately loved this coming February." 

On the other hand, KBS 2TV's new Monday and Tuesday drama 'River River' is a fusion historical drama depicting the innocence of two young men who did not yield to their destiny, with Princess Pyeonggang (Kim So-hyun), who was all of Goguryeo's life, and the general Ondal (Jisoo) who made love into history 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: -