5 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Actually Park Seo Joon English also seems not too bad. At least he can answer question from the Belgium & Denmark couple that showed in Youn's Kitchen 2. They were so impressed by his 4.4m IG followers lols.

I actually quite excited with this Youn's Stay, more than any other drama that I follow now.. haha... it's so relaxing to watch the food show with beautiful hanok as background. And I like all the cast members too. Can't wait!

Yes, same here. At least we get to see those hanok stay, places of interest in Korea which we never get to visit. I adore the CEO lady she can be strict, humorous and witty at times. 

• Like 5

Episode 2 - Some thoughts I have when I watched this episode.

I just finished watching! :pandablush: I watched it with only a cookie in my stomach! So now I'm salivating while I write these:

• Haha the Australian & Denmark guests didn't recognise Woo Shik from Parasite and worried if they had offended Woo Shik. That was sweet of them. The Aussie is so talkative which makes it really interesting as we get to see the cultural differences.

• The American parents not wanting to give their appetiser to their children cracks me up. I thought parents usually sacrifice and give their kids more food if they ask for it but not this couple. LOL. There appears to have this rule of "You eat what's on yours. No dipping into others' plates". I have met people like this here and they won't make fun foodie partners.

• The appetiser looks yummy. I think I've tried similar ones somewhere before and they are really good. It seems like a mixture of the idea from Japanese style tempura + prawn crackers. I'd love to have this again with that tofu dip. 🤤

• I notice Yumi has already injured her thumb but it wasn't shown what/how it happened. I hope it's not too serious coz that was a humongous bandage.

• The Hanok being built higher up which makes it actually quite difficult and tiresome for the team having to keep going up & down when serving. Plus because it's their first time and full house, they were rushing a lot and running that I worry they might fall or drop the food while transporting them.

• I thought the beef, tteobokki and chicken are the main dishes but didn't know they were going to serve rice with soup too. That would make it a really filling dinner if the main dishes were not shared with others. Tteokbokki itself looks very filling already. After seeing the full course meal, I now wonder if they charge enough for the accommodation and food. I suppose the purpose of this show isn't about making a profit since the show's copyright is where the profit will come from. And I think Lee Seo Jin is more experience (and trustworthy) in ensuring there's no loss to his team than compared to the Coffee Friends variety show where based on Baek Jong Won & Netizens' comments Coffee Friends was operating at a loss (since it's based on donation).

• I see what Yumi meant by hoping the beef patte didn't explode now. The first beef dish "opened up" and showed the chesnut inside for the American family. I like that Seo Joon was very calm when he realised there was no charcoal and found an alternative straight away (or maybe it's just editing, haha). Nonetheless, I think it'd still change the texture of the dish. I'm curious about the taste difference; curious about the taste of the combination of the beef and chestnut and curious about the chives salad (I notice the 3 girls didn't finish them). *Salivating*

• When I saw the fried chicken dish, I thought it needed some lettuce at the bottom to make it a more colourful dish, and the lettuce also provide some "washing off" of the strong taste / greasiness of the chicken and the sweetness of the sauce.

• I feel sorry how busy & flustered they are. Evil Na PD is working them so hard, LOL. While they all did their very best for the first time and did well, I did wonder if they should aim to serve the dishes all at once for one group. The American family was served fried chicken first then the beef so there was a bit of a wait. In a more professional fine dining settings, the restaurant serve everyone their dish all at the same time.

I can hear Youn Yuh Jung yell at me "We're not professional!" :pandaheadstomp:

• They need more kitchen helper to be honest. Would be nice there's guest stars to come & help in every other episode, hehe. Invite all the star friends like Eric Mun (this would be so interesting to watch & he'd be an excellent kitchen helper), Gong Yoo, Nam Joo Hyuk (has serving experience), BTS V and Park Hyung Sik (Besties with SJ & WS)... it'd be so awesome coz I wanna get Star Struck & see Na PD slave them. HAHAHA.

• After all the cooking and seeing how busy it is. I started wondering who's gonna wash the dishes! For episode 1, I was already wondering what time they'll be able to sleep if they also have to cook their own dinner, eat, clean up and then wake up early to prepare and serve breakfast at 8 - 9:30 am! Thank goodness it looks like the they don't need to do the cleaning up at all. After seeing how tiresome washing the dishes in Coffee Friends I am really thankful to know these guys don't need to do cleaning. Lee Seo Jin must have negotiated with Na PD eh? Haha.

• I don't know why I think when Seo Joon serve the female customers, I feel like he's totally electrocuting them with his mysteriousness as he doesn't communicate with them, LOLLL. Maybe it's just me. I kinda think I'd be like, "oooh who is this guy??" and wanting to know more about this guy who wear his slicked hair to the back. Bwahaha.

• Love the bit when Youn Yuh Jung had a go at Woo Shik in front of the customer "Where have you been? I was looking all over for you." - and that's in FULL English, confidently spoken too. Impressive for her age. Do we know how she got this good in English? I don't even think my mum is this fluent. LOL.

Episode 3 Preview

Bwahahahaha @SilverMoonTea I think of you (I don't know why) when the foreigner praise Lee Seo Jin "You are the most handsome king in South Korea". :laugh:I bet Na PD is going to focus on his dimples again.

I also hear Seo Joon said that guy called him Park Saeroyi @Tofu Haha so cute. It's something I might do too.

---

@SilverMoonTea I think both Yumi and Seo Joon understand English, but they aren't as comfortable speaking it, especially in full sentences and fluently. I remember that scene where the guy was in disbelief that Seo Joon had so many followers. I think this series will be more interesting due to the varieties of things they had to do, the types of encounters and the combination of people involved in this show. They've good combos than other Na PD's show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 minute ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Rating ep 2 : 10.2% 

You were right, compare to Youn's Kitchen, this seems have more things to do, so kind of interesting. In YK their activity more repetitive . @mademoiselle

Seldom saw LSJ looked that happy... haha, is he trying to get out from his grumpy image? 😂 The guys all very tall, love that casts pics a lot!

Youn's Kitchen I didn't watch S1. I think S2 is quite interesting with a mix of culture. 3 Meals A Day can be boring and depends on the casts & the guests. So I think Youn Stay would be like Youn's Kitchen S2.

LSJ is getting old so maybe he's mellowed down. Plus did he perhaps put on the grumpy image? I think he's still The Prince (as crowned by Cha Seung Won). He behaves a bit more because he's not the oldest in the cast LMAO but when he gets a chance he would not hesitate to order Woo Shik around xD

• Like 4

Not watching this but some interesting comments from k nets

Spoiler

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/tvn-youns-stay-mixed-reviews-premiere/
TvN’s “Youn’s Stay” Is Getting Mixed Reviews Immediately After Its Premiere
Some viewers are concerned for the cast.

Producer Na Young Seok‘s new tvN reality program Youn’s Stay just premiered, despite the public’s concern over inviting visitors from other countries to experience the Korean culture amid the COVID-19 pandemic, only to receive mixed reviews from the viewers.

The cast of the show, which includes Yoon Yeo Jung, Lee Seo Jin, Jung Yoo Mi, Park Seo Joon, and Choi Woo Shik, is in charge of managing the hostel from preparing food, tending to the visitors’ requests, and keeping the place in tip-top shape.

Some are expressing their voices of concern regarding how exhausted the cast looks.

• “I’d run away even if I was just working part-time.”
  • “They have so much work to do.”
  • “The place is huge with a lot of customers.”
  • “It must be hard enough maintaining the place, but they have to provide food, too.”

On the other hand, other viewers are loving the theme of the show and argue that it’s just a variety show.

• “The theme of the show makes it that much more entertaining to watch.”
  • “It’s only fun because they’re busy.”
  • “It’d be boring if they weren’t busy.”
  • “Na Young Seok, you should get moving, too.”

Nevertheless, the show started off with a bang by reaching 10% in viewer ratings with its first episode.

A nice article from Forbes

Stars Serve Up Korean Culture In The Reality Show ‘Youn’s Stay’
Joan MacDonald

In her new tvN reality show, Youn’s Stay, actress Yoon Yuh-jung invites foreign nationals living in Korea to sample some Korean culture. That includes visiting a Korean guesthouse and dining on traditional dishes served by celebrities. 

\

Youn’s Stay is a spin-off of her previous reality show Youn’s Kitchen, where cast members traveled overseas to run a pop-up restaurant. Given the pandemic, the show is staying closer to home and managing an inn. Invitations were extended to guests who are in Korea for business or school and who could not experience much Korean culture, due to COVID restrictions. It’s likely that some of these foreign guests may not know exactly how famous their hosts are.

Yoon’s 55-year acting career is impressive. She starred in a host of memorable films including Woman on Fire and The Housemaid, as well as TV dramas and reality shows, including the travel reality show Sisters Over Flowers. The actress recently made her Hollywood debut in Lee Isaac Chung’s 2020 film Minari. Youn’s role as Soon-ja, the grandmother in a Korean American immigrant family, earned her seven best supporting actress trophies from US film critics and festivals and is likely to lead to an Oscar nomination. Final nominations won’t be out until March 15. 

The actors helping to serve the guests in Youn’s hanok also have noteworthy resumes. There’s actor and television host Lee Seo-jin, best known for the reality shows Three Meals a Day and Grandpa Over Flowers, as well as a variety of dramas and films. He serves as the inn’s kitchen manager. 

Actress Jung Yu-mi starred in dozens of Korean films and TV dramas, including the recent Netflix NFLX -0.6% drama School Nurse Files and the critically acclaimed film Kim Ji Young: Born 1982. Jung is the inn’s kitchen chef.

Actor Park Seo-joon is best known for his roles in the television dramas She Was Pretty, Hwarang, Fight for My Way, What's Wrong with Secretary Kim and Itaewon Class, as well as the films Midnight Runners and The Divine Fury. The popular actor works as a sous chef at the inn. 

Actor Choi Woo-sik appeared in the Academy Award winning film Parasite, as well as the films Time To Hunt and Divine Fury, and the TV dramas Fight For My Way and The Package. Given the worldwide recognition for Parasite, Choi might currently be the most internationally recognizable staff member. At the inn he works as a kitchen bellboy and a server. 

Participating in Youn’s Stay is more complicated than taking part in Youn’s Kitchen, since the staff has to serve an extensive menu, with prep work that requires them to rise at dawn. As a result of their hard work, guests can enjoy a stay at a scenic inn, run by a potential Academy Award nominee, and savor some tasty Korean cuisine, served by an Academy Award winning actor.

• Like 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Ep 2

- The appetizer is so cute, Mrs Youn really funny as she trying to explained the unknown crackers haha... 

- The mom of the American family really teaching the kids manner quite well. She ensure they must thank Seo Jin for the cokes that its not really on the menus. 

- I found Lee Seo Jin quite energetic & lovely in this show. He's so charming. I seldom saw him running around hahaha... 

- Okay I'm really quite hungry now 😫🤤

• Haha 4

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

27 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Okay I'm really quite hungry now

I went all out for lunch LOL. The restaurant ran out of the beef rendang I want to take away (CRIES). When the Bakso Mee I tried tasted like Soto daging, I decided to take away for dinner tonight and also curry potato puff :pandahappyspoon: Need some nice food after watching Youn Stay. LOL.

• Haha 4
4 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

@mademoiselle

At the peak of her career, Youn retired after she married singer Jo Young-nam in 1975, then immigrated to the United States. In 1984, she returned to Korea and permanently resumed her acting career. 

That explained her well versed English. Love her, she's so witty.

Wow, she's perfect for the movie, Minari, because she could channel and share her own experience. For many immigrants I've come across, if you spent all your time just mingling with your own people, you don't need to know another language but Youn Yuh Jung must have had to learn. Would be interesting to sit with her and listen to her stories. I'd love to see her in a Reply series of the 70s-80s or even earlier...

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

I finished episode 1 during the weekdays (while working at home, it was playing on my tv :lol:) . Thanks VIU for subbing this !

I was a follower of Youn's Kitchen and it was a blast when they did the Spain stop. Now it is getting more interesting because they are managing a 'hotel' , an upgrade from a restaurant setting which is more challenging. The location of the lodges versus the management's house is hilarious. I can imagine more wonshik's name being blurted out by his bosses haha. 

While I watch most of Mr. Dimples' variety than his dramas, I like how he again magnify his skills even if he's a lousy Vice President. Can't wait how he will be patient with that new menu he will be serving at Youn's Stay. 

TvN’s “Youn’s Stay” Received Mixed Reviews Immediate After Its First EP

MINAL MANOHAR VERNEKAR
·1-min read

The tvN reality program Youn’s Stay of Na Young Seok received reached 10% in viewer ratings with its first episode. It has mixed reviews from the viewers

This reality show features Yoon Yeo Jung, Lee Seo Jin, Jung Yoo Mi, Park Seo Joon, and Choi Woo Shik, who is in charge of managing the hostel from preparing food, tending to the visitors’ requests, and keeping the place at tip-top shape. In this show, they invite visitors from other countries to experience Korean culture.

e263ef8ff47d5d9d60b57ae4d2d413da

With the work, the scale of the hostel is very large which is creating worry for cast in the viewer’s mind.

e0c3068276bb4bdbd340bab23a922891

Some are expressing their voices of concern regarding how exhausted the cast looks.

• “I’d run away even if I was just working part-time.”

• “They have so much work to do.”

• “The place is huge with a lot of customers.”

• “It must be hard enough maintaining the place, but they have to provide food, too.

b4f18610c7ae1bf76c9537ddf22f6839

On the other hand, other viewers are loving the theme of the show and argue that it’s just a variety show.

• “The theme of the show makes it that much more entertaining to watch.”

• “It’s only fun because they’re busy.”

• “It’d be boring if they weren’t busy.”

• “Na Young Seok, you should get moving, too.”

Youn’s Stay airs every Friday on tvN.

• Like 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Finally had time to watch episode one and clips of the second episodes, yay!

Choi Woo Shik is a natural conversationalist, so good at small talks. I love that he took the time to get to know all the guests, what they are doing in Korea, where they are from, etc. He is super adorable. Interesting enough, my love for Choi Woo Shik actually goes back farther than my love for Park Seo Jun. :pandascared:

Our chefs, Jung Yumi and Park Seo Jun, are the best. I was so hungry just watching them prepare the foods. I love how they both came up with welcoming the guests with some tea. 

Lee Seo Jin, hahaha! Some things just doesn't change. :laugh:

Boss Youn is still amazing as ever! Absolutely love her and how she is so caring towards all the guests. 

On 1/15/2021 at 7:39 PM, mademoiselle said:

Invite all the star friends like Eric Mun (this would be so interesting to watch & he'd be an excellent kitchen helper),

Yes! They should definitely invite Eric, he would be perfect to help the kitchen staffs. 

Overall, enjoyed episode one. I'm excited to watch episode two when I have some time this week. 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

Just finished Ep 2 and here are my thoughts.

No doubt Mr Dimple is still that grumpy (he was in Grandpas ove Flowers), he still looks good till today at his age, past 50 ?

CEO Youn still that witty and humorous , I have seen some of her drama and she is good.

The Aussie & Denmark guys didn't recognise Woo Sik from Parasite and started searching from the Internet plus worrying if they offended Woo Sik.

The American family guests, the daughter must have love the appetiser so much that she wants more and asking again from her mum share. Can’t blame that little girl, is must be her first taste of korean crackers.

Wish I know the recipes  for the appetiser dip, looks good.

I pity CEO Yung for climbing up the Hanok little steps when getting orders from the guest. She is old and could be very tiring for her.   Well, if its me, I would say by the end of the day, I am beat !

Mr Butcher was rather calm when he found no more charcoal for grilling and Woo Sik (smart guy) was stealing a little break chatting with the Aussie guest when CEO Youn searching high and low for him.

No doubt each servings are small, by the end of the whole course meal,one will be full.

Worth paying to get an experience staying in Hanok, eating authentic Korean dish and being served/cooked by celebrities !

• Like 3

In Ep 3, we say goodbye to the first group of guests and welcoming the second group. Thankfully the breakfast preparation was smooth and all the guests were happy and really enjoy their stay for the night. And the casts got a short break before they have to welcome and getting ready for the next group, which thankfully a small one compare to the first group.

I found myself enjoy the moment where Na PD just shoot the surroundings and it's animals doing their usual thing and put a sub in it. It's just fun and relaxing to watch it. The way the cats and birds interact with each other. I'm glad they had such a fine weather while shooting this series.

I haven't watch the english sub version, but since the guests are all foreigners and most use English while talking, it doesn't feel that hard to understand even without the English sub. Sometimes I read the Korean sub instead when they are talking, especially for guests whose first language isn't English. :laugh:

We have a total of 5 guests, a couple from Middle East (Iran I think), two Catholic priests and a man from North England. With the small guests, our casts are a little bit free and generous while preparing for the dinner. In Ep 3 we will see the casts start to get use managing the inn. Seo Joon can even leave the kitchen to usher the guests to their lodging (CEO Yoon can't usher the guests that far and I understand how tiring it must be for her to go up and down the restaurant and to go up hill for the guests)

A tour of Youn Stay in 360 degree view with VR accompany by Park Seo Joon and Choi Woo Shik voice explaining the room or places. 

• Like 2

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

Episode 4

Lee Seo Jin and his obsession with seolleongtang :lol: but I am interested to taste it mainly because I want to know how good it is using the traditional metal pot and cooked with charcoal and woodfire. And @SilverMoonTea he looks so pro with his beverage section. I already have this thought when I saw him wipe fingerprints etc., off the wine glasses back in Youn's Kitchen 2 time.

Couple of episodes ago I mentioned I was glad they didn't have to do the dishes and then this episode it showed me they do have to wash the dishes?! That's insane because that's just hard labour after having to serve and cook for the guests. They only get to eat dinner at 9pm+ and they still have to clean up, jjinja?? No help at all from the staff??

The English guest got the best service out of everyone. He got to taste all the main dishes (in the expense of a nearly exploded belly), free service and discount because the water system broke! I'd still say he misses out though because oysters are yummier.

The cutest guest had to be the Iranian guy Dada. I loveeee his expression each time he puts food into his mouth! Hahaha so darn cute. I must admit I make similar expression too when I taste really delicious food and it makes me happy! @TRaNz You should join us watching this hahaha and that'll motivate you to visit more fine dining places.

Dada also has good Korean pronunciation. I sweated for him a little when the Tara asked him what's different about her and he couldn't see the difference. Oops. And I think the answer is she wasn't wearing glasses. HAHA. Can't find cut from episode 4 yet so attached episode 3 instead.

And LOL at Woo Shik being "scolded" by Seo Joon for pouring the soup directly onto the garnish Seo Joon decorated on the mandu rather than pouring it from the side. :laugh:

This episode the cast had it easy but next episode they will have to entertain 11 guests and they also have to prepare all the ingredients from scratch. Eeek. I already feel sorry for Seo Joon.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1

@mademoiselleYa I also thought the answer was shes not wearing glasses, but isnt that such a too easy question? Its proven man maybe just doesnt care about all those vanity stuff that the girl do haha... So having Phd degree also still can't crack this million dollar question from wife haha.... 

Btw, it was so funny when Youn asked how is the key to survive being 24 hrs together for this wife & hubby haha....Its exactly my question too... 

On the side track, I felt Seo Jin and Yumi now sometimes teasing each other. I didnt see it in S2... My shipper heart a bit awaken haha... Or maybe just my hope, cos oppa alrd said love max only last for 2-3 yrs... 

Btw, if you watched Korean Hostel in Spain, they even do the bedding, sweep the floor. So even this is quite hard labour, that show is even worse. I love that show too btw, @LaLa& @jeijeialso like it as well.

@TRaNz If Viu available in your country, it did have the eng sub. Else you got to check dramacool/kissasian which will be a bit delayed with the sub.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TRaNz said:

o0o0o @mademoisellei remember watching the older seasons but random bits off youtube. It was awesome but i need ENG sub hahahahaha. Seo Joon sooo handsomeee. hahaha

@SilverMoonTea No VIU available. Have to go the er... you know... other routes, LOL. @TRaNz

Spoiler

Look up Dramacool and Kshow 123 ^ ^

Eng subs are out for all 4 episodes now.

6 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Btw, it was so funny when Youn asked how is the key to survive being 24 hrs together for this wife & hubby haha....Its exactly my question too... 

It was funny coz she gave a very skeptical look at them ROFLLLL, might comes off a bit rude too but... I wonder if that's because she herself was divorce.

I can't do Korean Hostel in Spain. The interest is very very low because Hae Jin and Cha Seung Won are not alluring. Youn's Kitchen 2 and Youn's Stay have Seo Jin AND Seo Joon, and now Woo Shik too. It's just... I don't know, more attractive to me :P

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

In ep 4 @SilverMoonTea 's oppa dimples is so deep. All the members keep teasing him for don't want to do the silly gesture of < > when they say the Youn Stay :MewGiggle:

I think in ep 3, it's funny and strange that Seo Jin and Yu Mi some how had a similar dream and each other appeared in the dream. What is your shipper radar saying @SilverMoonTea

I watched the ep 4 last night before going to bed without realizing it last for almost 2 hours hahaha. I've heard somewhere this season will last until ep 8, but I think per usual Na PD shows, usually it will last for 10 eps + 1 special ep with director cuts. Hmm I think they will go with 10 eps, unless in the second shooting they only open 1 group only, due to the high level of social restrictions in Gurye when they filmed. 

• Haha 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

1 hour ago, LaLa said:

I think in ep 3, it's funny and strange that Seo Jin and Yu Mi some how had a similar dream and each other appeared in the dream. What is your shipper radar saying @SilverMoonTea

Haha yeah my shipper radar a bit awakened by this convo. And the way he looked at her a bit different compare to in S2. Well good thing Yumi called him oppa. Han Ji Min in 3 MAD die die call him sunbaenim.

Eventhough he wanted to be call oppa. Thats why I think he & HJM is dead end. But with this YM might have chance 😁