Youth of May 오월의 청춘 [2021]

Is this drama made for Gwangju Uprising anniversary? Coz I just came across a clip from Master in the House where a Burmese is featured in there and sharing the current affairs of the coup where Myammar citizens fighting for democracy against the military, so Gwangju uprising and the anniversary was mentioned too.

• Insightful 2
6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Is this drama made for Gwangju Uprising anniversary? Coz I just came across a clip from Master in the House where a Burmese is featured in there and sharing the current affairs of the coup where Myammar citizens fighting for democracy against the military, so Gwangju uprising and the anniversary was mentioned too.

I believe it is to commemorate that. The incident started on May 18 and lasted till around May 26/28, I think. 

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

• 5 months later...

Dramabeans' Year End Review

The Lee Do-hyun Gift Set

Beyond Evil, Youth of May, Melancholia

Okay, so yeah, Lee Do-hyun only had, like, two scenes in Beyond Evil, but I did start the drama because of him. And because of that, I ended up falling into a thrilling series that I probably wouldn’t have watched otherwise. I feel like Lee Do-hyun is that kind of actor to me — he’s led me to dramas that surprise me and stay with me in ways I can’t explain. In the case of Youth of May, my excitement for the drama made me want to do my research on the history of Gwangju. I really, really loved the drama, but I honestly don’t like thinking about it because of how painful it was, both in the romance and in knowing that the backdrop was based on a real tragedy. Melancholia is still underway and promising some pain as well, but I’m hoping it won’t hurt as much, especially since I’m quite attached to the main characters and their unique bond. That’s how Lee Do-hyun’s dramas tend to be, though — they take me by the heart with a vice-like grip.

That said, I have to make an honorable mention for Eighteen Again, which I wasn’t able to write about last year since I binged it late 2020/early 2021. It’s the drama responsible for my unhealthy obsession with Lee Do-hyun, and it’s a drama that even a year later, I can’t stop thinking or talking about. (Apologies to family, friends, and beanies who have had to deal with my constant gushing. I have no self-control.) I recently watched it a second time, and you best believe I’m gonna be watching it a third time, when I need a go-to pick-me-up.

source

• Party! 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Child actor Jo Yi Hyun as Kim Myung Soo was great in this drama. I am happy he got the award. Well deserving. He's already had 19 dramas in total and turned out that I've watched 5 of them besides YoM, but mostly guest role or support role. I'll be looking forward to his future roles for sure.

• Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love