Youth of May 오월의 청춘 [2021]

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama aiyo . Not gonna be a smooth ride  sweet romance...:nervous:...

Article from: Soompi

Watch: Fate Plays Tricks With Lee Do Hyun, Go Min Si, Lee Sang Yi, And Geum Sae Rok In “Youth Of May” Highlight Video

DRAMA PREVIEW

May 3, 2021

by L. Kim

KBS’s upcoming drama “Youth of May” released a four-minute highlight teaser ahead of its premiere!

“Youth of May” is a melodrama about the romance between Hwang Hee Tae (Lee Do Hyun) and Kim Myung Hee (Go Min Si) set against the turbulent background of May 1980, a historically significant time period in South Korea. Lee Sang Yi and Geum Sae Rok co-star as Lee Soo Chan and Lee Soo Ryun, siblings from a wealthy family background who have different goals in life.

The highlight teaser begins with Lee Soo Chan and Kim Myung Hee’s surprise reunion. They’re thrilled to see each other, and he sweetly tells her to contact him if she needs anything.

The clip shows Kim Myung Hee being accepted to a university in Germany. However, she isn’t able to go because she’s too busy taking care of her family. She can’t even afford a plane ticket, and that’s when her friend Lee Soo Ryun comes up with a brilliant idea. If Kim Myung Hee goes on a blind date on behalf of her, she’ll buy the plane ticket for her.

That’s how Hwang Hee Tae ends up mistaking Kim Myung Hee as Lee Soo Ryun, and their love story is tugged in unpredictable directions by fate itself. Eventually, the truth comes out, but Hwang Hee Tae still chases after Kim Myung Hee. Kim Myung Hee lists various reasons why he shouldn’t be with her, such as being from a poor family and not being able to graduate high school. In response, Hwang Hee Tae names a “bad” quality about him, saying, “I’m an illegitimate child. Is that wrong?”

Their love story blossoms with sweetness, and Hwang Hee Tae even goes to her house to introduce himself to her family. Just when their relationship is becoming serious, his father Hwang Ki Nam (Oh Man Seok) gets in the way, and everything starts to go downhill. Lee Soo Chan warns Hwang Hee Tae to not cross the line, and Lee Soo Ryun gets angry at Kim Myung Hee for taking things too far with Hwang Hee Tae.

Will Hwang Hee Tae and Kim Myung Hee get their happily ever after?

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

@abs-oluteM I am so distracted with VC. LOL.

It looks to me Hwang Hee Tae has always known Myung Hee is not Lee Soo Ryun because if I didn't listen incorrectly, he told her he had already met her before (and the scene where a man grabbed her collar and he himself was shoved to the side).

Youth of May Opening Theme

OST Part 1 Sondia - Melody of Spring

Woah, so quick the OST is already released.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Heart Eyes 2

I caught the eps...very nice. Quite a rich story with an interesting premise.

Myung Hee is a nurse who had just got accepted to study in a university in Germany. She comes from a poor background - so has been saving up for her studies and also to send money home. I like her -  hardworking , driven and not easily intimidated ( aahahah I loved it when she twisted the arm of that gangster patient who was such a prick) . Her family is based in some smaller town elsewhere - dad limps and from the grandma's sudden yelling about dad's innocence , I am guessing something bad must have happened to him and the family has struggled financially. She is close to her mum and bro, but seems that she doesn't want to speak to her father.

Myung Hee and Soo Ryun are the best of friends . Soo Ryun is quite a feisty character herself - a student activist who is currently demanding for government funded professors to be removed. These are turbulent times in the political landscape. Soo Ryun does all this secretly since she comes from a very well to do family. We're also introduced to her older brother Soo Chan who has just come back from abroad. Myung hee is in slight awe of Soo Chan , and I think Soo Chan will like MH too ( love triangle alert !) 

Hee Tae is a rather interesting character - while he does not seem to openly support the activist activities, he sold of his car to pay for the hospital bill of a university student whom I am guessing got bashed up in some protests. I don't know how he was involved in it but he seems rather affected by what happened given the flashbacks. He is due to graduate from med school but he seems to have delayed it for some reason. His excuse is that he wants to be part of some music festival but I am guessing that he has trauma every time he sees blood or something ,and that is going to be a hindrance for him to start his hospital internship.

Hee Tae comes from Seoul to Gwangju where the rest are ( and where his dad is based) to find a  way to help that hospitalised student to be transferred from Seoul. That student's dying wish is to die in her hometown (Gwangju). And that is how Hee Tae 1st bumps into Myung Hee when he had come to enquire about procedures to the transfer. He witnessed 1st hand how kick ass she was in handling the gangster patient. Anyway, he ends up needing to get money from his father in order to pay for the hospital transfer.

Hee Tae's dad is an interesting man who is a former anti-communist agent , and currently climbing up the political ladder. Father & son don't exactly have the best relationship. Looks like Hee Tae's dad remarried ( think HT's mum is dead) and has a step bro who is not exactly a fan of Hee Tae. LOL! Anyhow Hee Tae desperately needed the money for the hospital transfer so promises his old man that he will do whatever the latter wishes if he could get the financial help. 

So this led to the blind date set up by HT's dad and Soo Ryun's father. SR was also caught by the cops in one her union activities, and was then grounded by her father. Then later when she found that she had to go on a blind date, she asked Myung Hee to go in her place & promised to help MH buy her airplane ticket to Germany. 

I guess this is definitely fate for MH and HT to meet .He was impressed with her the 2nd time when she helped out a boy who was knocked down by a car. He remembered her as the spunky nurse whom he saw at the hospital . He was so pleased when he discovered it was her who sat in front of him during the blind date. 

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

From this article, it seems he does know she is not Soo Ryun but he is intrigued anyway

https://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=202105041037406710

E0hs-PIUcAEAwKT?format=jpg&name=medium

In the second episode, which will air at 9:30 pm on the 4th, a psychological battle will take place between Lee Do-hyun (played by Hwang Hee-tae) and Ko Min-si (played by Kim Myung-hee), who hid her identity.

Earlier, Hwang Hee-tae covered a serious patient's hospital expenses with money sold from his sports cars, guitars and sunglasses, drawing attention to his story. He then witnessed the scene of Kim Myung-hee being held  by the collar by a gangster, heralding a strange relationship between the two.

Also, the fateful meeting between Hwang Hee-tae and Kim Myung-hee, who happened to bump into each other again, made viewers excited. Hwang Hee-tae in place of her  friend Lee Su-ryeon (played by Geum Sae-rok) went for the blind date with Hee Tae , and Su Ryeun will  borrow the money Myung Hee needed from her father Hwang Ki-nam,  to get a plane ticket to Germany . However, Hwang Hee-tae immediately noticed that she is Kim Myung-hee, drawing keen attention to her future stories.

In addition, released pictures  of the two who send deep eyes to each other are released, causing curiosity. The two talk in a similar manner with their jaws resting as if they were lovers who even resemble their actions, and even beer appears on the table, hinting at an unpredictable development.

Expectations are high on the 4th (today) on how  Hwang Hee-tae, who knows Kim Myung-hee's real identity, will treat her, and whether Kim Myung-hee pretending to be Lee Soo-ryeon will be rejected before the lie is revealed.

The production team of "Youth of May" said, "In the second episode, a different youth romance created by actors Lee Do-hyun and Ko Min-si is depicted in earnest. "If you take an interest in how actor Lee Do- hyun plays Hee-tae, who knows everything, and how actor Ko Min-shi expresses Myung-hee's emotional line, which causes emotional disturbance little by little, you will be able to enjoy watching it."

• Like 2

@abs-oluteM Hee Tae is an illegitimate son (he mentioned this to Myung Hee in their latter date). This means his mum never married his father. That kind of made me despise the father since he got a woman pregnant and only take Hee Tae in because he may be of use later. So the mother and brother you saw are Hee Tae's stepmother and step brother.

And bingo, there's a love triangle here. Sigh. We also have to get ready for sad ending because I fear the homeless looking man from the future might be Hee Tae.

I'm still getting used to the 80s settings and Gwangju accent at this point.

New stills from E02

E0hjvWMUYAEMIg6?format=jpg&name=medium

Spoiler

E0hjvj3VgAMuQSM?format=jpg&name=mediumE0hjvwAVIAAaaGe?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

I really enjoyed the first episode... even though we're supposedly going into melo territory, it seems like there will be some comedy too? 

Urgh, the guy playing Hee Tae's dad... can he please play some likeable role in the future? I want to see him being a nice person for a change. I dunno why but he doubly annoys me when he acts as the bad guy.

Other than him, I am enjoying all the other characters. Love to see GMS and LDY playing opposites here, but I have to admit that I still sometimes am reminded of their sibling relationship, LOL...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Gonna watch with subs soon . 

BTS

12 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Other than him, I am enjoying all the other characters. Love to see GMS and LDY playing opposites here, but I have to admit that I still sometimes am reminded of their sibling relationship, LOL..

IKR...ahahah. I also think that there's quite a good mix of characters - and given the setting the story will have a lot going on apart from the romance.

20 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

And bingo, there's a love triangle here. Sigh. We also have to get ready for sad ending because I fear the homeless looking man from the future might be Hee Tae.

That's the general speculation too and gosh I just hope that skeleton isn't Myung Hee.

• Like 2

I laughed so much at their 1st blind date - she did everything to make herself undesirable as per Soo Ryun's instructions but he of course knew what she was up to. It was clear he played along and and he was observing her. He knew this wasn't who she was because he was already impressed with what he saw of her earlier  .  But in this scene , I hurt a little for him when he said he grew up eating people's leftovers and given what we know of him being illegitimate and all , this isn't far from the truth. Don't think he wanted to be a doctor as much as he wanted to be a singer/ musician eh? 

pRlbWYu.png

The scenes were so beautiful and I really love the development of the romance here. Really old school style - pre smart phones and all the technology of today. But something so sweet and tangible 

3Xi0N7a.png

Bahahaah...didn't we have a scene like this in 18 Again?

mtfgrwY.png

I was amused he went to SR's house at the end ...clearly he wanted to confront both girls and have this ruse end , so that he can properly pursue Myung Hee. Cannot wait to see that. 

• Haha 2

Episode 2 got a lot more interesting, especially with the dates and interactions between Hee Tae and Myung Hee. Their scenes together are my favourite and this episode, Do Hyun looks much more handsome. Hehe. I'm honestly not so much into Lee Soo Ryun's arc at this point. The main OTP's arc, background and story is more compelling.

What made me chuckled is the scene where Do Hyun once again saves his girl(s) from a passing vehicles. Just how many times he has to repeatedly do this in his dramas, LOL. Instead, I didn't remember about the injured ankle until @abs-oluteM mentioned and I saw this:

b2ee4ffa9c9d29bb30e19a8a7e099fdcff070372

I wonder what's Jung Tae's problem with Hee Tae. I guessed it's just jealousy—because this Hyung is the brain while he's only good with sports, hence he's not good enough for their father? I'm also surprised the stepmother is a mistress?! If Hee Tae is illegitimate as well then who exactly is the first and official wife? *Confused* Plus the character description says Ki Nam (Hee Tae's dad) abandoned his mother.

Anyway, I'm glad that Hee Tae isn't two-timing the girls and the truth is out rather quickly. Phew. Now I don't want ma boy to be the jerk. And true @abs-oluteM the heart did ache a little when he said he eats leftovers. He must have been so poor then living with his mother. And only after the mum dies that he goes to live a so-called "better" life with Dad.

@Alice Wonderland Good to see you back! Come visit often and swoon at Do Hyun together with us.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

It's been a while since I would watch dramas at normal speed, usually at 1.5x or even 2x speed. But this drama, I watch on normal... The feel is just different. Not something to rush with... Again, for ep.2, I still see traces of humour here and there... Can we please continue to have this tone until the end? But, but... the unidentified remains... who could it be? 

I too foresee some love triangles brewing in a distance, but I really hope it's kept sane and normal, nothing OTT please... And also please, no BFF turning into love rivals thing. I enjoy the girls friendship and love both actresses too. She seems to have a potential suitor in the police officer. 

Songs are nice. I really love the guitar piece when MH was looking at the shoes HT gave her. How are they going to be together if she is supposed to go overseas for studies in like a month? Time jump and then the angst? because he is forced to marry her best friend? :nervous: I shouldn't be thinking that way and that far yet. Just enjoy the drama, will ya'!!

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 2 is just so goood!! I love it!! This drama is just so classic romance! The feels, and its vibes are just so perfectly in balance. I love all the pace to the end cliffhanger is just making me even more curious. Aaahh... I ship MH and HT!! :valid: :1000: haha

GT's dad is scary. Everytime I see him I keep seeing him as the north korean bad guy in cloy. Lols. I wonder how would GT face him later when he start to disobey his orders. I have a feeling he will do something bad even to his son when he knows they don't give him anything he expects.

@mademoiselle hey chingu, I'll try to come often cuz I love this YOM!

Btw the synopsis details listed it as melodrama as well and it is just 14 eps??? So short! Hope both end up happy and reaching their dreams in the end. I am okay with the hardship that awaits ahead of them but writer please let them be happy in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

@ktcjdrama ya it seems that the cop will be SR’s love line . By the way @Alice Wonderland , his dad was a former military man right ? Am trying to figure out what it is that his dad does .

I love this show a lot too  - and I hope they keep giving us bits of humor like ktcj mentioned.  I don’t want it to go too dark despite what we saw at the start of eps 1. 

@LaLa @JenL are you guys planning to watch this ? 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Yes, in ep 2, in the dinner scene with the chairman or so, it was hinted so. @abs-oluteM

What makes me wonder is who is JSC. I dont really catch that part, I mean why it seems HT feel the burden of responsibility. I just hope they both can continue their study. 

And I really love their date moments. He watches at her carefully and undestand the situation pretty fast. He knows when she's uncomfortable right away. I believe HT realizes who she is actually but play along with it as he said he wants to know the nurse than his actual date. He's the genius guy who admitted into meds school in town, he must know that his date partner got switched. The cliffhanger of ep 2 is just so intense. How those lady explains all of the lies. Lols. They get caught on the spot, no escape! 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

@ktcjdrama Wait. Even Vincenzo you FF through it too?

Haha I dread the bad/sad ending but if Do Hyun is showing me some quality acting, I can forgive (maybe, we'll see).

@Alice Wonderland Hahaha if you hadn't mentioned CLOY, it wouldn't have crossed my mind! That's how much CLOY means to me, bwahaha. I believe I've seen this actor (who is also a musical actor) act in other dramas before and he's reliably good too. So although he's some sort of villain, I'm ready to hate but want to be impressed by his acting.

It has 12 episodes. I thought it's 16 LOL (I'm care-taking and watching way too many dramas/threads that my brain cannot withhold these info). I guess if it is going to break my tear glands, I don't mind it being short.

@abs-oluteM Hee Tae's dad's job is this "보안부대 대공수사과 과장." Google said "Chief of the Security Forces Air Defense Division".

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Wait. Even Vincenzo you FF through it too?

Haha, mostly... I can watch comfortably at 1.25x speed. When no conversation going on, I will usually speed it up. Otherwise, how do you think I can fit so many dramas into my limited hours in a week? Unless you have discovered how we can have 28 hours in a day? Share please! Haha...

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

12 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Haha, mostly... I can watch comfortably at 1.25x speed. When no conversation going on, I will usually speed it up. Otherwise, how do you think I can fit so many dramas into my limited hours in a week? Unless you have discovered how we can have 28 hours in a day? Share please! Haha...

I've been watching many without FFing so it's do-able however this extra "drama" time depends on how much you can spare from your other priorities in real life. Like, do you have to cook, work, chase your daughter to study etc?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 3

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama I watch it in normal speed so far for most of my current drama watching. It's just when they start to bore me I will ffd them to quickly finish it. I like Mafia boss!! Haha, so I dont use ffd button for it. 

it seems HT's dad want to join the assembly or something? The higher up he follows religiously told him about marrying his son it's why he suggested the date to HT. The actor did olay many roles in previous drama projects. But mostly I watch him in villain roles. But him in cloy left the strong impression of him as that bad north korean traitor. Lols. 

• Like 3