Youth of May 오월의 청춘 [2021]

Gals, look at this...talk about awkward :laugh:

image_readtop_2021_444998_16205364614638

In the midst of this, in the photos released on the 9th, three men and women were caught watching each other's eyes. Hwang Hee-tae, Kim Myung-hee, and Lee Su-ryun are silently exchanging tense eyes in an atmosphere where everyone celebrates the birthday of Lee Su-ryun's father, Lee Chang-geun (played by Eom Hyo-seop).

Hwang Hee-Tae makes an unknown expression, and Kim Myung-hee and Lee Soo-ryun can't figure out how far he knows or what he's come to. In addition, as Hwang Hee-tae and Lee Su-ryun had a "bloody fight" at the first meeting they encountered by chance, the curiosity about what kind of conversation the two would exchange is heightened.

https://star.mbn.co.kr/view.php?year=2021&no=444998&refer=portal

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

I have to ask, do 80s already have faded jeans as fashion? → Referring to Do Hyun's fade wash jeans. I've to say all the others are very 80s except Do Hyun. Love the hairstyle and Top Gun Maverick's sunglasses ~ ♥

%EC%84%A0%EA%B3%B5%EA%B0%9C_1?attach=2&k

source: 9NHHH

---------------

Hee Tae is a gentleman, shielding Myung Hee

E02_48?attach=2&knm=img.gif

source: 9NHHH

----------------

@abs-oluteM I'm having deja vu again...

Feels like this is 18 Again Ahjussi Do Hyun LOL LOL

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 2
21 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Feels like this is 18 Again Ahjussi Do Hyun LOL LOL

The thing is that LDH has this knack of playing old soul characters . Did you see the tweet where they say that he is always playing characters from the past ? LOL

As to faded jeans , I think it was somewhat the fashion then - maybe more late 80s

• Haha 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

Go Min Si Tears Up As She Shows Lee Do Hyun Her True Colors In “Youth Of May”

E1ANqgCUUAEtooj?format=jpg&name=900x900

KBS 2TV’s “Youth of May” has shared a sneak peek of an emotional moment from its upcoming episode!

“Youth of May” is a new romance drama about the fateful meeting of medical student Hwang Hee Tae (played by Lee Do Hyun) and nurse Kim Myung Hee (played by Go Min Si), who fall in love amidst the whirlwind of events that take place in May 1980—a historically significant time period in South Korea.

Previously on “Youth of May,” Hwang Hee Tae and Kim Myung Hee found themselves increasingly drawn to each other as they continued to meet. When Hwang Hee Tae boldly asked, “If I tell you [why I postponed my graduation], that means we’re close. Is that okay?” Kim Myung Hee responded with a shy nod, adorably revealing that she was interested in getting to know him better.

E1ANqIbVkAAoLlE?format=jpg&name=900x900

However, in newly released stills from the drama’s next episode, the budding romance between the would-be lovers comes to an abrupt halt. Hwang Hee Tae, who typically wears a smile whenever he’s with Kim Myung Hee, instead wears a frozen expression that suggests he has just been shocked by an unexpected situation.

Meanwhile, Kim Myung Hee, who has always pretended to be her friend Lee Soo Ryun when meeting up with Hwang Hee Tae, is dressed in modest clothing as she tearfully faces him. Seeming to have made up her mind about something, Kim Myung Hee has a determined glint in her eye as she proffers her hand to him for a handshake, but the visibly shaken Hwang Hee Tae seems barely able to hold her hand properly as he stares back at her.

E1ANqSvVUAA6jBS?format=jpg&name=900x900

The palpable awkwardness raises the question of what Kim Myung Hee could have said to create such a frosty atmosphere—as well as the question of how the couple’s true first meeting will go.

The producers of “Youth of May” teased, “On the May 10 episode, Hwang Hee Tae and Kim Myung Hee will have their true first meeting as themselves, without any lies or deceiving one another.”

They added, “Please look forward to seeing what choices they will make amidst their attraction to one another and their already determined fate.”

source

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Heart Eyes 2

Really cannot wait for tonight.

1st cut...he was actually surprised who SR was but he played along. MH was going to leave but the dad says to stay on to eat. Then older bro came back & asked MH to stay. See his jealous face when the older bro put his hands on MH's shoulder ! LOL

So he and SR kept up the act and was looking at the school year book. He only has eyes for MH's photo. The two were sitting outside , so could argue. Think she says she won't marry him. He also told her he really likes MH. SR was shocked. 

Spoiler

Omoooo this scene is so dangerously romantic. They had a moment alone in SR's house. She wanted to apologise but he just held her hand tight and asked if she was okay. And he passed her a note. Later on SR asked MH if she likes HeeTae. MH denies but her eyes betray her

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

So after they left SR's place , looks like they did meet up...I think she apologised but wants him to realise she is not who he thought she was. But he doesn't care. 

Spoiler

Here he goes look for her after work...she wants them to "break-up". She mentioned that he and SR are supposed to be the ones marrying but he doesn't care. He told her don't worry - what is more important is how she feels . She says regret , she did this for the plane ticket. Poor guy ...my heart breaking for him

This scene was where the families meet. Not sure what the occassion is but MH was there too. 

Spoiler

KBS cuts are all over the place...she thought he came to see her and was trying to stop him from entering the house but it turned out he was here to teach the landlord's daughter

Spoiler

Ehhh is he staying in the same boarding house now? At least they get some moments together

Ooooo he plays & hums a song for her...she is falling for him for sure. What did he propose to her at the end?

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Look at this preview...they have started dating but things are getting complicated. SR gets caught for her activities - this time by HT's dad. And looks like they have to get married soon ?

• Like 2

I just started watching this and am in love with the 80s feel, setting and pace of the story. Love the cast - they all look to fit their characters well. Mr "North Korean" dad! I wonder where the first wife is and how he got into the political running of things. Many questions forming already... I'm glad the fake identity part wasn't dragged on.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

What did he propose to her at the end?

He proposed to date for just this one month before she leaves.

O gosh, I love this drama so much :wow: The feels is just all right with me. Well, except for Hee Tae’s dad, less screen time please. I’d rather watch everyone else, whoever... 

Have many things to say about ep.3 but it has got to wait till tomorrow morning because it’s way past midnight now and I need to go to sleep already. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

14 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I'm glad the fake identity part wasn't dragged on.

Same here. Am glad she apologised and told him that she was doing it for the money (at first anyway) , and he made it clear he likes her and will continue to do so. 

@ktcjdrama @mademoiselle  gosh I am in love :wow:. The romance in this show squeezes my heart and I think GMS and LDH have chemistry as lovers. 

Something that concerned me was that Hee Tae's father noticed that HT likes MH. Dad being an agent is very sensitive to these things. And that flashback of MH telling her dad that she did nothing wrong in the interrogation room suggests that HT's dad knows who she is. Did her father go to jail for something? Or in her place? And now the father is going to have someone tail HT. He is going to make life difficult for sure. SR wants to continue the ruse ( of pretending she and HT are dating )  so that she can freely go for her protests etc. This is not going to end well huh? Lol but let me enjoy some sweet romance first please. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Thoughts from ep.3 ~

Love seeing Hee Tae displaying his smart so many times in this episode :laugh:

- He offered his left hand in greeting so that Soo Chan's hand can come off Myung Hee's shoulder. 

- He insisted on holding Myung Hee's hand when no one was around and smartly passed it off as saying goodbye politely when Soo Chan appeared.

- He asked for Myung Hee's phone number indirectly through Jin-A and then found a reason to visit her place regularly by becoming Jin-A's tutor.

Soo Ryeon is full of the right spirit to lead demos, but sadly she is rather reckless and careless. Not smart enough to plan and strategise, only bulldozing ahead as she sees fit. We also see in the preview of ep.4 that she will get caught and be forced to agree to some compromise that I foresee will affect our OTP romantic journey.

Love the cinematography on the hands. There are plenty in this episode alone, which I haven't noticed in the first two episodes. Hee Tae's hand, Myung Hee's, Soo Chan's...

It's only ep.3, but why am I already feeling so sad seeing Myung Hee saying to Hee Tae it's the end for the two of them :cry: They haven't even properly dated, only seeing each other for like a couple times.

I still wonder what will become of the relationship of the their younger siblings. I hope it will develop into great friendship instead of rivalry, although the character chart indicates their relationship as rivals. I love Myung Hee's litte brother. I believe the child actor will make it great in the future. Love how Myung Hee is giving him advice about not giving up when facing challenges. Still wondering though what made the relationship with her dad become so tensed. We're shown a little bit at the end of the episode that both of them once argued strongly regarding something, and it involved Hee Tae's father. Urgh, I still cannot stand this kind of person and character, and it doesn't help that it's by the same actor from CLOY's annoying antagonist.

The feels of this drama... kinda make me miss those times when there is no existence of electronic gadgets. There are things in life that you would come to value differently.

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

I haven't watched Monday's episode yet, but here are my thoughts so far about the story.

I reckon the love lines, triangles and tangles will be quite expected:

• Soo Chan is clearly interested in Myunghee
  • Soo Ryeon will start to show an interest in Hee Tae and resent that he was originally "hers" but the chance went to Myung Hee 
  • Myung Hee gets conflicted about whether to leave or not because she gets deeper in love with Hee Tae
  • Hee Tae's father is probably in some way connected to Myung Hee's father, some back story yet revealed to us
  • Myung Soo and Jung Tae will have their own rivalry that will be a parallel story to Myung Hee's and Hee Tae's

Questions:

• If Myung Hee didn't graduated high school, how did she get into a university in Germany?
  • What course did she get accepted into?
  • Like 3

Lee Do Hyun is really charming in this episode. I even liked his frown (reminds me of disapproving Ahjussi Woo Young too - won't lie that I still get some deja vu from 18 Again). My fave scene from episode 3 is when Myung Hee tried to stop Hee Tae entering her house and they both fell and spilled the soy sauce. The heartbeat though, it's from Myung Hee's right?

At this point, I'm not yet sold on the OTP's loveline/chemistry. I find myself more charmed and mesmerised by every single scene and minute facial expressions Do Hyun makes. Even when he just quietly stood by the window while the two men gossiped about him, he looks so handsome. Maybe my heart just wants him for myself... I don't know. 

I'm really not feeling it for the Lee siblings, especially Soo Ryun. If she really sees Myung Hee as her friend, she shouldn't have told Hee Tae that Myung Hee did it for money. She has dishonoured her friend and tainted her reputation even though she thought she was doing Myung Hee a favour. She neither has the right to say that before discussing with Myung Hee nor she has the right to make that decision for Myung Hee. All in all, I feel the Lee siblings will be a big hinder to the main OTP's happiness.

Ok, so, back to the bone remains from episode 1. Now the remains points to Myung Hee because we were shown the pocket watch Myung Hee's dad was holding when she was out with Lee Soo Chan.

Hee Tae's dad - he's torturing the students, so would this mean he's the member of the latter renamed to Agency for National Security Planning? :thinking:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, gilaswan said:
  • If Myung Hee didn't graduated high school, how did she get into a university in Germany?
  • What course did she get accepted into?

She did her GED - likely via night school / part time/ self study  to finish her high school diploma before she went into nursing. The GED is an equivalent qualification for those who drop out of the school system.

More here on the Korean GED https://theconnection.ece.org/NewsItem/1438

She is planning on doing medicine - she mentioned that the top local universities tend to discriminate against GED results ( I should think so especially for faculties like medicine)  unlike the ones in Germany. 

• Insightful 2

5 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm really not feeling it for the Lee siblings, especially Soo Ryun. If she really see Myung Hee as her friend, she shouldn't have told Hee Tae that Myung Hee did it for money. She has dishonoured her friend and tainted her reputation even though she thought she was doing Myung Hee a favour. She neither has the right to say that before discussing with Myung Hee nor she has the right to make that decision for Myung Hee. All in all, I feel the Lee siblings will be a big hinder to the main OTP's happiness.

Same here...I thought as her friend , she should not have mentioned about why MHee did it. It again goes to show that she has yet to grow up - while she is quite representative of the youths of that time who were looking for a cause to fight for , I wonder if she truly understood what it is that she is fighting for. Hee Tae did ask her that when he saw her at the rooftop.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, abs-oluteM said:

Same here...I thought as her friend , she should not have mentioned about why MHee did it. It again goes to show that she has yet to grow up - while she is quite representative of the youths of that time who were looking for a cause to fight for , I wonder if she truly understood what it is that she is fighting for. Hee Tae did ask her that when he saw her at the rooftop.

True, she doesn't know the consequences of her actions. I think Hee Tae experience similar situation in Seoul and possibly traumatised by it (that lady who's now in a coma). As for Soo Ryun, I just don't think she is a true friend. How did they become friends in the first place? They've nothing in common.

Soo Ryun is selfish and spoilt. She has no consideration for others. She was rude to Hee Tae and yet she's using Hee Tae as her excuse to sneak out and protest. 👎🏻 Nope. Not impressed with this character.

• Like 2