Hong Cheon Gi / Red Sky 홍천기 [2021]

Other supporting cast

https://newsis.com/view/?id=NISX20210817_0001550110&cID=10601&pID=10600

NISI20210817_0000809290_web.jpg?rnd=2021

---------

What to expect from the drama

https://www.news1.kr/articles/?4406899

Above all, 'Hongcheongi' draws attention as the work of writer Jeong Eun-gwol, the author of 'The Moon Embracing the Sun' and 'Sungkyunkwan Scandal'. 'The Moon That Embraces the Sun' and 'Sungkyunkwan Scandal' are all romantic historical dramas that made a big hit on the  silver screens. Following that, the novel 'Hongcheongi' is expected to be adapted into a new drama in 2021 and captivate viewers with a different charm from the original.

'Hongcheongi', which was reborn as a drama, builds a fantasy world by resetting the historical background from the Joseon Dynasty to the fictional Dan dynasty. In the Dan dynasty, transcendent beings such as ghosts, demons, and gods are involved in human life, and mysterious things happen around the protagonists. Therefore, the names of Haram (Ahn Hyo-seop) and Hong Cheon-gi (Kim Yoo-jeong) remain the same, but Anpyeong Daegun is Yang Myeong Dae-gun (Gongmyeong), Suyang Dae-gun is Joo Hyang Dae-gun (Kwak Si-yang), The names of characters and places in the original work and the names in the drama have been partially changed.

The characters in the novel are three-dimensionalized by the passionate performances of the actors. Hong Chun-ki, who shows genius painting skills as the only female painter and passionate in love, is expected to be portrayed as a more lovable and attractive character by actor Kim Yoo-jung. The red-eyed handsome Haram, played by Ahn Hyo-seop, also has a secret . Besided being an office at  Seomun-gwan, who reads the constellations, he is also Il-wol-seong, the head of the secret intelligence organization. 

In addition, the drama 'Hongcheongi' finds viewers with a richer story, with the addition and reinforcement of the narrative of Haram and Hongcheongi's relationship from childhood, the thrilling love triangle with Grand Prince Yangmyung, and the conflict with Grandgun Juhyang. Dramatic narrative and development are expected to increase immersion. It is raising expectations about how a setting that is different from the original will be drawn into a drama and what kind of development it will unfold.

It is a novel 'Hongcheongi' that has been loved for its powerful story and mysterious and attractive characters. Attention is focused on how ‘Hongcheongi’, which was reborn as a drama based on a solid original novel, will be realized in video, and ‘Hongcheongi’, which will come alive in the small screen with the passionate performances of the actors and the sensuous direction of director Jang Tae-yu.

• Like 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

12 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@Tofu I'm quite forgetful lately. To0 many tjoughts on my head, hahaha. So please summon me if this starts later. Me too, so ready with all of those esthetics!! Hong hong hong!! Esthetic love story yeahh... :pandahappy:

I got you! :LarvitarSDab1: I'll remind you when it airs. LOL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Translation of the 3rd Teaser

Caption: Jung Eun Kwal - Novelist, “Moon Embracing the Sun” “Sungkyunkwan Scandal”

Hong Cheon Gi: Your eyes are really pretty.
Ha Ram: People look at my eyes and call me a water demon.

HCG: But for such pretty eyes like yours?

Caption: Ha Eun - Screenwriter, “Be Melodramatic”

HCG: No!
Prince Ahn Pyeong: A grand prince of this country, that’s who I am.

Caption: Jang Tae Woo - Director, “My Love From Another Star”, “Tree With Deep Roots”

HCG: Grand Prince, why are you so good to me?
HR: My apologies, Grand Prince. Her promise to me comes first.

Caption: Hong Cheon Gi , August 30 (Monday) 10 pm - first broadcast

So, the male lead is blind, but becomes an astrologer and has pretty eyes which are condemned by some people. Sounds very dramatic.

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I won't be having SLS. LOL!

Not a huge fan of Gong Myung anyway, so never get SLS syndrome for him.

This drama also stars Kwak Si Yang as Prince Su Yang who is an actual historical figure. Su Yang becomes King Sejo who is known for taking a bloody path to the Joseon throne, but then becomes one of the most influential and able kings of Joseon. Hope this drama doesn't run foul of the Korean public who seem a bit sensitive about portrayals of actual historical figures. Then again, all of the associated previous works of this production team were well received in SK, and this does not seem to mess around with fantasy elements, so perhaps it will all be well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I remember the Joseon kings better when I can link an actor's portrayal to the kings they play. 😅 Are you guys the same?

Other than the famous Joseon kings like Taejo, Taejong and Sejong, from impression (TV portrayal & limited information on Wikipedia), it seems Sukjong is also another great king too (?). He seems to be a king that did well in reign, being able to balance the Noron & Soron fraction. Choi Min Soo was so awesome playing Sukjong in Jackpot and got me interested and read about him.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Kim Yoo Jung, Ahn Hyo Seop, And More Highlight Their Characters’ Traits In “Lovers Of The Red Sky” Posters

lovers-of-the-red-sky4.jpg

Official posters have been released for SBS’s upcoming drama “Lovers of the Red Sky”!

Based on the novel of the same name by author Jung Eun Gwol, whose novels “Sungkyunkwan Scandal” and “The Moon Embracing the Sun” have also famously been adapted into hit dramas, “Lovers of the Red Sky” is a historical fantasy romance drama set in the Joseon era.

Kim Yoo Jung will star as Hong Chun Gi, the Joseon dynasty’s only female painter who was born blind but miraculously regains vision. Ahn Hyo Seop will star as blind astrologer Ha Ram, who is able to read the stars despite losing his sight, and Gong Myung will star as the romantic and lonely Prince Yangmyung. Kwak Si Yang will play the cruel and ambitious Prince Joohyang.

The lead actors look straight out of a picture book in the group poster and individual character posters.

kim-yoo-jung.jpg

In the role of the genius painter Hong Chun Gi, Kim Yoo Jung looks like a bold and progressive young woman with a pure passion for painting. The yellow poster reads, “I want to paint you. Even those sorrow-filled eyes,” while the pink poster says, “I will paint you, even if I lose my two eyes. For you, scholar.” Anticipation runs high for Kim Yoo Jung’s return to acting in a historical drama and the romantic story she will paint as Hong Chun Gi.

Spoiler

kim-yoo-jung-2.jpg

Ahn Hyo Seop will stand at the center of the drama’s stormy plot as the red-eyed Ha Ram. By day, he works as an astrologer, and by night, he lives as Il Wol Sung, the head of the intelligence organization Wol Sung Dang. In the poster, the darkness surrounds him and makes his shining red eyes appear more pronounced. On the green poster, the text reads, “Even though I can’t see, I can feel it if it’s you. Like the stars in the night sky.” However, the blue poster conveys a more sinister message, as it says, “Something indwelling me is going after you. Run. Far away from me.”

ahn-hyo-seop.jpg

Spoiler

ahn-hyo-seop-2.jpg

Gong Myung plays the romantic Prince Yangmyung who enjoys the arts. His room is filled with scrolls of poetry and paintings, reflecting his love of poetry, calligraphy, and painting. Though he appears to have everything anyone could have, there is a certain loneliness in his heart that Hong Chun Gi fills when she enters his life. His poster reads, “Now, I want to protect you. Your paintings and you.”

Spoiler

gong-myung1.jpg

Kwak Si Yang takes on the role of the ambitious Prince Joohyang who dreams of taking over the throne. The throne and the red royal robe behind him indicate the position and status he deeply longs to achieve. His frightening conviction is further emphasized by his sharp gaze, the sword in his hand, and the text that reads, “Even if it’s determined by fate… I will take it away, for it has always been mine from the beginning!”

Spoiler

kwak-si-yang.jpg

The individual posters preview each character’s defining characteristics and narratives. Tune in to the premiere of “Lovers of the Red Sky” to find out what kind of stories the characters will create together. The drama begins on August 30 and will be available on Viki.

source

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Subbed

The Three Musketeers

2021082411132860314_1.jpg

Hong Cheon-ki, Choi Jeong-eun, and Cha Young-wook, the ‘Three Musketeers of Chemical Engineering’, are so close that they call each other ‘the truth, the hatred, and the sorrow’. Choi Jeong-eun, with an eccentric personality, is an unrivaled painter in portraits, and Cha Young-wook is a timid artist who draws warm pictures that stimulate people's emotions. These people with different personalities and styles are expected to show off their unique friendship as friends who boast fantastic chemistry once they meet.

It is said that actors Kim Yoo-jung, Hong Kyung, and Hong Jin-gi built close friendships by practicing painting together to prepare for the character of the chemist. The production team of 'Hongcheongi' said, "Choi Jeong and Cha Young-wook are loyal friends who like Hong Cheon-ki's paintings and envy Hong Cheon-gi's abilities, but also genuinely cherish Hong Cheon-gi. Please look forward to a virtuous performance.”

• Like 6
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

These days so hard to make a historical drama... :idk:

https://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=202108260100197330012690&servicedate=20210826

At the press con..this what the PD said:

Previously, there are concerns about the new historical drama 'Hongcheongi' because the SBS historical drama 'Joseon Exorcist ' was abolished after two episodes due to controversy over historical distortion. On this day, PD Jang Tae-yu said, “I was worried a lot. Hong Cheon-gi and Haram’s names were used as they were in the original, and all other real people and place names in the original were changed to fictitious names and tried to prevent controversy over distortion of history.”

--------------------------------

“Lovers Of The Red Sky” Cast Shares Reasons For Joining Drama, Thoughts About The Love Triangle, And More

Source

On August 26, SBS’s new drama “Lovers of the Red Sky” held an online press conference with producing director (PD) Jang Tae Yoo and forged members Ahn Hyo Seop, Kim Yoo Jung, Gong Myung, and Kwak Si Yang.

Based on the novel of the same name by writer Jung Eun Gwol, whose novels “Sungkyunkwan Scandal” and “The Moon Embracing the Sun” have additionally famously been tailored into hit dramas, “Lovers of the Red Sky” is a historic fantasy romance drama set within the Joseon period.

Kim Yoo Jung will star as Hong Chun Gi, the Joseon dynasty’s solely feminine painter who was born blind however miraculously regains imaginative and prescient. Ahn Hyo Seop will star as blind astrologer Ha Ram, who is ready to learn the celebrities regardless of dropping his sight, and Gong Myung will star because the romantic and lonely Prince Yangmyung. Kwak Si Yang will play the merciless and bold Prince Joohyang.

Jang Tae Yoo, whose previous works embody “My Love from the Star” and “Tree With Deep Roots,” talked concerning the course of of selecting the drama’s forged. He shared, “I focused on [the actors’] chemistry and acting skills, and it is written in history that Hong Chun GI is ‘a rare beauty.’ Ha Ram is also a man whom Hong Chun Gi fell in love with at first sight. That’s why I thought long and hard, and with a lot of difficulty, [Kim Yoo Jung and Ahn Hyo Seop] came together. In addition, Prince Yangmyung appeared as the main character in other dramas before. I was determined to find someone with a princely appearance like Gong Myung, and I was able to do that after careful consideration. Prince Joohyang also appeared as the lead character in many dramas, so I casted Kwak Si Yang. I don’t think it will easy to [create] another cast like this again.”

Jang Tae Yoo additionally praised the forged’s superb chemistry, saying, “On the drama set, everything seems to be going well on its own. All I need to do is turn on the camera.”

Kim Yoo Jung has appeared in varied historic dramas earlier than, together with “The Moon Embracing the Sun” and “Love in the Moonlight.” The actress commented, “I don’t think [the dramas] received good responses because I did a perfectly good job. Due to those positive responses, many people fortunately think I fit well in historical dramas. I read the original novel ‘Lovers of the Red Sky’ by writer Jung Eun Gwol and enjoyed it. Also, I think Hong Chun Gi’s character has great merit. Along with [the descriptions that she’s] ‘the only woman female painter’ and ‘a rare beauty,’ there is the fact that she courageously lives on and is different from other female characters in historical dramas. I was fascinated by the way she solved some things with the other characters. Above all, it was a huge factor that I was able to work with PD Jang Tae Yoo.”

The actress continued, “I didn’t participate in a lot [of historical dramas,] and I think I am asked a lot of questions [about them] because they did well, but I made an effort to not be too trapped within the framework. When I tried to do that, there were many restrictions on speech and behavior. That was [how I could] be as natural as possible, and because the viewers live in a modern society, I think I focused on how I could express [my role well] and how they could understand [the story] easily.”

When requested why he selected to star in “Lovers of the Red Sky” as his subsequent venture, Ahn Hyo Seop replied, “It’s an honor to be able to appear in a drama that is directed by PD Jang Tae Yoo. I am also a fan of Jung Eun Gwol, and I thought it would be a challenge because of the fact that my character is blind and the story’s fantasy elements. I was worried about the pressure because I had to act as a character who couldn’t see and lived in an era I’m not from, but I stepped up to the plate with the intention of challenging myself.”

Then the actor added, “Honestly, the most difficult part was that I had to pretend like I couldn’t see. I thought that when you act, there is a certain power that comes out of your eyes, but I only had to act with sound, so that part was difficult.”

Kim Yoo Jung additionally talked concerning the love triangle between Hong Chun Gi, Ha Ram, and Prince Yangmyung. She shared, “Hong Chun Gi is strongly attracted to Ha Ram from the beginning, and the drama is actually about those two people who are destined to be together. So I think it feels more sad and melodramatic than romantic. They have some interesting elements, but viewers will be able to see bickering chemistry between Hong Chun Gi and Prince Yangmyung, who are like friends. [Their relationship] is difficult in terms of status, but that doesn’t really matter. Prince Yangmyung has a kind and nice personality, and although their relationship is a bit risky from the beginning, they get closer to each other. It’s kind of entertaining, funny, and cute.”

Previously, SBS’s different historic drama “Joseon Exorcist” was completely cancelled as a result of a historic distortion controversy. Regarding that, Jang Tae Yoo shared that “Lovers of the Red Sky” actually invested their time into historic investigation. The director defined, “Unlike the original novel, the world of fantasy was established by setting the background of the era as a virtual country. Hong Chun Gi and Ha Ram were written like the original characters, and the names of other characters who existed in history were changed to imaginary names to prevent controversy over distortion of history.”

Lastly, Kim Yoo Jung remarked, “It’s a drama that has a lot more charm than we talked about here. Many actors worked hard, and many people filmed happily together and got through the difficulties in the hot and cold weather. I hope that the viewers will watch it happily and comfortably.”

• Like 7

I'm glad that the long-ish preview shown during the press con has different tone from the prior (maybe leak) one, the one with the dragon and the white-haired child actress.  The current preview is more align with typical Sageuk visuals and dress and also Joseon timeline, hence I really think that Jang Tae Yoo PD took the learnings from JE.  And it is a good thing that they are done with filming, hence they can review the contents better.  

Edited by akikisetsu
  • Like 5
  • Party! 1