Hong Cheon Gi / Red Sky 홍천기 [2021]

2 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

so wait....the girl will become unblind?

im at first episodes....so the girl was curse to be blind....then unblind?

Yes.... something happened later in the episode. Their fates seem to have exchanged ...she regained her sight and he lost his. 

• Like 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I love episode 1! The child actors were fabulous in their roles! Reminds me of The Moon that Embraces the Sun where the episodes of the child actors were also very enjoyable. The graphics are really well done too.

The bit I am confused is the bit where the Demon was in the former king's body. I thought the narration tells us that he was sealed inside a painting?

The child acting as young Ha Ram is the actor playing LDH's younger brother in Youth of May, @abs-oluteM! :D I think he's another one that will grow up to be a handsome adult actor, hahaha. Actor Park Sang Hoon is another child actor with potential, I remember him from Dr. John, playing a patient who also cannot feel pain and in Do You Like Brahms? as Park Joon Young.

@Tofu OMG, what is it with the butterfly reference :PsyWhat:! Yeah you got it right, Samshin (sam = 3, shin = god) was 3 deities in one body and Demon (looks like Niu Mo Wang/Bull Demon King or a mixture of it with Lord of the Rings' Balrog). I'm not even sure why the Deity of Birth seems to be more powerful than the Demon and yet she doesn't tame/capture him herself.

@NiteWalker Cheon Ki was cursed by the Demon and became blind. To compensate it, Deity of Birth paired her up with Ha Ram. She tricked Bull Demon to enter Ha Ram's body & locked him in there. Since the eyes are the source of Demon's energy, she took away Ha Ram's sight and gave it to Cheon Ki. When the time is right, the eyesight will return to Ha Ram (poor boy, what did he do to deserve this?)

Anyway, it's a very interesting and solid first episode. I'm totally invested because the children did an excellent job. I don't know who the female kid playing young Cheon Ki but she is cute and matches really well with young Ha Ram. Now we'll need their adult counterpart to have the same chemistry and carry the rest of the story.

@ktcjdrama Low on drama? Check this one out.

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2
38 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Yes.... something happened later in the episode. Their fates seem to have exchanged ...she regained her sight and he lost his. 

her sight was there when she was born it was the demon that cursed it then she became blind ?however the deity of birth had a hand to help her a bit

22 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@NiteWalker Cheon Ki was cursed by the Demon and became blind. To compensate it, Deity of Birth paired her up with Ha Ram. She tricked Bull Demon to enter Ha Ram's body & locked him in there. Since the eyes are the source of Demon's energy, she took away Ha Ram's sight and gave it to Cheon Ki. When the time is right, the eyesight will return to Ha Ram (poor boy, what did he do to deserve this?)

yea…. Lols I hope when turn is back to where it is… it will not be cheonki became blind and haram got the eye sight bk…

22 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

The bit I am confused is the bit where the Demon was in the former king's body. I thought the narration tells us that he was sealed inside a painting?

that’s is what I was thinking where it stated that there were a female artist that managed to seal the demon away and the artist disappeared after that…u less this happen before the incident and the fated female artist is actually cheonki in making

• Like 7

@NiteWalker Hahaha I am hoping in the finale, both will get their eyesight back. But then I don't mind if Ha Ram stays blind either because it makes him look extra special with those eyes. It seems like he's not "entirely" blind if he could still see the stars (?)

15 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

that’s is what I was thinking where it stated that there were a female artist that managed to seal the demon away and the artist disappeared after that…u less this happen before the incident and the fated female artist is actually cheonki in making

Yeah especially the narration and painting of the story shows the woman looking exactly like Kim Yoo Jung. That makes it worrisome because the narration said the Demon killed her lover. If it is the narration of the future then that means Ha Ram will die. :idk:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 3

First episode started off really interesting. I like how they begin with the tale explanation. I think they wont mix the story with the fantasy, but here we got something like magic and spells. So this is really my thing, haha. I love fantasy. 

So those two kids are changing fate? I really cant wait seeing adult Ha Ram AHS asap, lols.

In most saeguk, classic story, they always have this same problem to each generation, long draught, which this cunning shaman used it as something to benefit them. I wonder why they tried killing HR's dad if he succeeded in sealing the evil spirit, he saves the king's life!!?? I dont get this point. And this thought gives me ideas that the current king would do the same thing again, sacrificing someone who has helped the nation and him. I was surprised he seems to follow the confusius teaching for not doing bad deed, hey how come he become so contradictory?? 

• Like 8
4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

The child acting as young Ha Ram is the actor playing LDH's younger brother in Youth of May, @abs-oluteM! :D I think he's another one that will grow up to be a handsome adult actor, hahaha. Actor Park Sang Hoon is another child actor with potential, I remember him from Dr. John, playing a patient who also cannot feel pain and in Do You Like Brahms? as Park Joon Young.

I love the child actors. They had so much chemistry which is so important because it sets the tone and their connection going forward. The last drama where this was so important ( and actually convinced me to watch the show) was 7 Day Queen. 

This was a very good 1st episode -  the story was engaging with high production value. But I just realised after watching with subs that her eyesight comes from his- indeed like @Alice Wonderlandsays an exchange of fate. Would it mean that for him to see , she'll lose hers? And the epilogue at the beginning seems to foreshadow an unhappy ending. Hmmm

I am also somewhat baffled that they tried to kill off Haram's dad when he managed to seal off the demon. I am assuming that this was because the lady shaman had wanted to be the one in charge. 

• Like 7

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 8/30/2021 at 3:51 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Director Jang Tae-yu mentioned his previous works at the production presentation, raising expectations by saying, "Hong Chun-gi is a comprehensive film that combines fantasy melodrama from  Moon Embracing the Star, political historical drama from Tree with Deep Roots, and artistic historical drama from The Painter of Wind .

Unlike most, my interest got piqued when I saw who the director was... since I love TWDR! Haven’t seen much of the main cast before (apart from Kim Yoo-jung). It’s been awhile since I last watched a sageuk, so hopefully it’s hood enlugh to make me want to continue! 

Episode 1 did do enough to keep me curious and interested. Enjoyed the chemistry of the two young leads - they did a really great job. 

I think I inner-squealed during the opening scene where they did the ritual as the drama used the same soundtrack as one in Tree with Deep Roots. It was so recognisable to me, having watched that drama a few times 😂

The fantasy element is keeping me intrigued. Definitely something different from the other dramas I’m currently watching!
So happy to break my sageuk drought :pandahappy:

• Like 6
  • Clapping Hands 1
15 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

This is especially for @abs-oluteM . Damn. AHS will make it into the higher tier now with this HAHAHA

baahahahaah....I streamed it live and I was pleasantly surprised :smile:

I immediately screen shot - I think I can consider immediate adoption!

E-IBg4tXoAUy7PB?format=jpg&name=medium

@im0202 it is good so far . I rarely stream live these days, but this one got my attention.

The ending of eps 2 was unexpected...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

@abs-oluteM Hahahahahahaha no need to screenshot. I got you a video version to replay :laugh:

Did Cheon Ki unleash the demon from Ha Ram? With the long trailer and the MV from the OST, it seems like when they touched inside the palaquin, Ha Ram reacted to it and the butterfly tattoo was dissolving away or something. I remember a dark smoke flew out of the palaquin (from the long preview) and up onto the tree. Ha Ram then fell from the tree onto Cheon Ki... I'm putting pieces together, don't mind me if I got it wrong.

Edit: Hahaha nvm... I confirmed it myself xD

E3 Preview

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 5
36 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM Hahahahahahaha no need to screenshot. I got you a video version to replay :laugh:

Did Cheon Ki unleash the demon from Ha Ram? With the long trailer and the MV from the OST, it seems like when the touched inside the palaquin, Ha Ram reacted to it and the butterfly tattoo was dissolving away or something. I remember a dark smoke flew out of the palaquin (from the long preview) and up onto the tree. Ha Ram then fell from the tree onto Cheon Ki... I'm putting pieces together, don't mind me if I got it wrong.

Yes.  Long story short as she was running away from someone whom she had sent to jail earlier , she hid in his palanquin . He could immediately sense it was her. Then there was a part during the journey the road was bumpy she accidentally hugged him and that awoke the demon in him. He felt sick immediately and told the men to stop . He asked her to go and after she left the demon really manifested itself. The part where he fell on her will only be in eps 3 

I summarised it on my twitter 

Spoiler

• Like 6

Some quick recaps for eps 2 here - 

I adapted & just added to this 

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/broadcasting-service/view/2021/08/842354/

After waking up, Hong Cheong-gi grew up &  raised money by learning how to paint and drawing copies to pay for her father's medicine. 

The king came to take Haram away. His father was trying to restore his sight , the palace guards killed his father . Haram was raised to become the astrologer for the King , but deep down Haram despises him though he doesn't show his emotions. He was also secretly doing some things (which I believe was his plan for revenge. He secretly met Kwak Si Yang's Grand Prince Soo Yang with a mask. But the latter does not who he is.  We were also introduced to Gong Myung's Prince Lee Young who was  easy going & fun loving .

Hong Cheon-gi, who had collected enough $$ her father's medication , declared that she would no longer paint  replicas, but Mr. Jeong of Wolseongdang whom she supplied these replicas too  did not like it. He threatened her. Hong Chun-g managed  to  overcome the crisis with her wit. On her way out of the door, and while looking at the place where Haram was hiding ( he uses the place to conduct some of his secret affairs) sense something. Haram also recognized the existence of Hong Cheon-gi outside the door and fell into thoughts.
image_readtop_2021_842343_16304192014769
She paid a lot of money to buy the drug, but it was a fake with no medicinal effect, and Hong Chun-ki, unaware of the fact, handed the drug to his father with great anticipation, but was disappointed when it didn't work. When Hong Chun-ki learned that she had been deceived on purpose, she was angry with the scammer and took revenge on Mr Jeong and got him caught by the "police". 

However, Mr Jeong, who  was quickly released and chased after Hong Cheon-gi, who ran away and hid in Haram's palanquin . At that moment, Haram was reminded of their  past. Hong Chun-ki, who was able to escape the crisis, had a conversation with Haram. Hong Cheon-ki, who saw Haram's eyes, said, "Your eyes are really pretty," and "They are the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen."Then, the palanquin shook and the two embraced, and Haram complained of pain and suffered. The seal of the Demon King was released in Haram, saying, "I found my eyes."

202108312322151710_2.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I immediately screen shot - I think I can consider immediate adoption!

E-IBg4tXoAUy7PB?format=jpg&name=medium

when i see this, first thing i think of is you my dear....just knew you're going to ended up doing this hahahaha

11 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I really like the graphic for the demon

e6b1b4e37850e63b90ea841219dae496638ce8c4

the demon is pretty good looking huh.....and we all admire things from the wrong end hahah

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

What I love about saeguk, is that the actor changing voice when they speak the jeondaemal, they sounds really different and charismatic, this what I feel for AHS, people might call me bias, but seriously, he is a good actor, the first time I saw him was in splash splash love, back then I thought why he wasnt the lead, ah.. here he is, we got him speaking so gracefully as ilwoelsong.

Since the writer comes from the same one, Jung Eun Gwol who wrote TMETS and also Sungkyunkwan Scandal, both are just very authentic and the type of saeguk stories I enjoy so much. The two fateful couple met, everything always comes with pair, good and evil. The demon comes back to retrieve his eyes and I'm really curious to see how could be happened next. 

I like fiesty female lead hope HCG won't change till the drama ends. I always be so happy with this kind of female lead, but sometimes along the way the writer will divert the character and she loses her charm like in the beginning. I hope this wont happened to her here. And oh yaaa, I am so ready with their love journey here!!! The chenistry is just really great. Plus both are equally beautiful visuals, quite pleasing the eyes! 

Spoiler

Surprise! we got some treat! AHS with topless doing pull-up!! I never expect this, lols. Abs.. ehmm.. I mean, M?? @abs-oluteM, poke @mademoiselle 

I want next episodes already, it's been awhile, I enjoy saeguk drama really much, I gave up river moon last time, hopefully this one will be good to the end. Ah, why they only 2 eps per week??? I wish it could be like cdramas where they can offer us with more episodes. :MewGiggle: I know I know, watching with patience is a virtue, isn't it? 

I think I forgot what more I'd like to write here, so I'd stop here now. 

@NiteWalker you're watching this???  Nice I can bug you while we're playing rpg later. Hahahaha

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@NiteWalker you're watching this???  Nice I can bug you while we're playing rpg later. Hahahaha

yes i like Kim YooJung and so far i love her portray....she is firm and bold and cheeky in this role....

when she was facing those thug in the art gallery her eyes behold me when she was gambling for her freedom from them...

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

BTW, I belatedly remember there was a Goblin at the time they were sealing the demon into the painting. Where did that Goblin went? And why was the man suddenly possessed etc. No answer there. 

@Alice Wonderland Did AHS show skin, abs or muscles in Abyss or RD2? I can't remember anymore. But no complaints there with the pull ups. Hehehe. Now I just need someone else who is also doing a sageuk to do the same ... :smug: that one will be super big surprise for us all... lol. @abs-oluteM KMJ's drama is up next, so let's see if he will show any - hahaha. 

I haven't watched E2 yet so will return later for more thoughts, if any. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@abs-oluteM Your wish on Ahn Hyo Seop's gifs~ omo, look at that! :laugh:

c5d181e944de626515116bdc874c5b73a7e3615e

f489dd21c78398e6d1af1d5f05c2b8010086744c

Spoiler

d6dbcea7feae72a30cc7d9b16214fa230314034ddcbe610da271bc80b5e160571a454522132ef30b

source

When the attention is on his eyes, mine was on his eyelashes!

a4ed33f797337b42db35591e7d20d925614ae68e

source

@NiteWalker Hahaha nah, I didn't think the demon was handsome/pretty. I just think the graphic of him is nicely done. I give thumbs up approval for CG, although I just read a Knet comment that the CG is bad... what the.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Party! 1

@NiteWalker I also like that cgi they used here, it is smooth and look like real too. I feel like I flew back to Hogwarts land but here in Joseon times.

@mademoiselle they seem really love doing the fan service. And for Abyss, I forgot about wether he ever done it or not. I just remember he was resurrected into his gorgeous look but I dont really remember if it's with shirt or shirtless. Hahaha.

His eyes is pretty along with those long eyelashes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
24 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@NiteWalker Hahaha nah, I didn't think the demon was handsome/pretty. I just think the graphic of him is nicely done. I give thumbs up approval for CG, although I just read a Knet comment that the CG is bad... what the.?

the wolf CG is badly done to be honest, together with the part when the kids fallen down into the water, that was a bad mix from reality to fantasy.....the best parts of the under water elements is when they sent the kids upwards the effects is pretty solid just it doesnt blend well with the under water ....

the rest not bad.....and pretty smooth.....best cgi will be the part where they pulling the demon out from the king body as well as the part when HaRam manifested.....

25 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@NiteWalker I also like that cgi they used here, it is smooth and look like real too. I feel like I flew back to Hogwarts land but here in Joseon times.

well i can overlook some of the CGI, though Hogwarts CGI is definitely way way way better.....i wont compare the CGI in between RedSky with Hogwarts though if you're saying the feeling, it does felt a little that way with them mixing fantasy elements in it....

• Like 6

I finished episode 2. So it is the abdicated (old) King that ordered to kill Ha Ram's father, not the current King Seongjo isn't it? There are a lot of bits & pieces I feel that's not clarified yet. I hope the writer will fill in the blanks later.

Adult Cheon Ki and Ha Ram's encounter is a bit too short so I don't know if they have chemi yet. For now I am extremely curious how did Ha Ram managed to become who he is in secret etc since he's blind so how is he sure that those who works/serves him won't betray him.

I'm also curious whether the butterfly seal will reappear because surely the demon is still in his body when he fell off the tree...? Many people died in the next episode so if the demon is the one killing then I hope he's already out of Ha Ram's body...

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1