Hong Cheon Gi / Red Sky 홍천기 [2021]

Oooh yaaaa @mademoiselle thank you for the bts, but is there any eng sub for it? I forgot to turn on the caption and watch it all even I dont understand them completely. 

KYJ is just so bubbly and cheerful here. Thanks to her laughters the athmosphere becomes more lively. I feel bad for the guy who got smack in the head, lol. 

And ooohh I love the falling hug scenes! Or how do they brush their each other hands, those close up expressions are just legit. I am thinking to myself, it would be good if I could be her, lols. Okay... okay... I'm too delusional. :lmao2:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Naver article that highlight's the 3 charming points of the drama so far

https://newsis.com/view/?id=NISX20210903_0001571059&cID=10601&pID=10600

NISI20210903_0000821424_web.jpg?rnd=2021

A folk tale

"Hongcheon-gi" is set in a fictional era of Dan Dynasty, where the ghosts, demons, and gods were involved in the human world, and built a unique worldview. A ceremony to seal the Demon King,  god of death, was held, and children who are cursed by the demon king of the Three Gods are destined to be their partners.

The 'red bond' between Haram, who lost sight with red eyes, and Hong Cheon-gi, who found sight by borrowing those eyes, heralded the beginning of a huge event and romance, drawing attention to future developments.

Fantasy romance historical drama, video + music synergy

"Hong Chun-gi" ' harmoniously unfolds the fantasy, romance, and historical drama genres, and captivates viewers with its irresistible spectacle. In addition, the appearance of the demon king, who is a fantasy entity, gives suspense, and the story of the royal family using elements of political tension inhistorical dramas captured the attention of viewers.

In addition, the music combined with the video has increased the immersion of the play, and Baekhyun's OST for "Is It Me," which contains the passionate romance of the main characters, is receiving enthusiastic responses.

Fantastic chemistry between Ahn Hyo-seop and Kim Yu-jung

Ahn Hyo-seop and Kim Yoo-jung, the main characters of "Hongcheongi," cited the main viewer point is that it is a drama that has the charm of watching a folk tale or  traditional fairy tale.

Ahn Hyo-seop said, "There are many things to see, from fateful love to fantasy elements to the tension surrounding the throne. I hope you look forward to the story that will come out this fall like a fairy tale," he said .

Kim Yoo-jung said, "It would be good to feel that you are so into the world in Hongcheongi that you are reading an interesting traditional fairy tale."

----------------------

New stills

Poor girl - lol- to be deserted in the dark forest in the middle of the night

109088467.1.jpg

• Like 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 9/2/2021 at 8:51 PM, NiteWalker said:

....somehow i do not think that the demon was meant to be able to gain the full control of any human being, he just need a human body to co-exist? 

that's what happen with the old king after all....the demon king resides in his body and at the same times the old king still maintain his own conscious mind as well as thoughts, just maybe there will be certain thing that is control by demon king to certain extend.

My theory

This demon in Ha Ran was only able to see not do anything because of the butterfly seal. The female witch took away his eyes until it was time for CK fateful meeting. At that time he will will be able to retrieve his eyes from CK but the demon has no idea that HR has a crush CK and he will end falling in love with her.  This story has happened before and the demon won't remian in this realm once CK & HR fall madly in love. HR's anger and hate fuels the demon in side and makes the demon stronger and his love for HR will weaken the demon. HR and Demon is one, that is why I believe the demon had control of the body. Of course the human shell soul is conscious but had no control. Remeber the exorcism he was tied down with all kinds of talisman around 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

My scenes from ep 1 & 2 

children scenes with great graphics 

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886fd40ceb748c1528b58

Chien Ki

Ha Ram

Second evil Prince 

Blind man Fighting

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Surprisingly, I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Love reading the perspective from this writer, who also wrote some insightful and interesting reviews for The Devil Judge.

28effd6b0da04db0a77e15114f3eb54f.png?s=9

Childhood Connections, Gods, And Demons: First Impressions Of “Lovers Of The Red Sky”

Sep 5, 2021 by shalini

Kim Yoo Jung is back! “Lovers of the Red Sky” has been teased since December of last year, and SBS’s newest sageuk fantasy is finally on our screens. The first two episodes pack in fated lovers, bloodshed, gods, demons, and the reoccurring theme of sight and sightlessness. But is it worth the hype? Here are our thoughts on the premiere!

Warning: spoilers for episodes 1-2 below

Loved: The lore

Spoiler

The drama starts off in true sageuk fashion, weaving a fantastical tale of three gods that used to be one: Samshin, the goddess of Life (Moon Sook), Mawang or the devil, and the god who balanced both. The animation here is stunning, detailing how this harmonious balance fell apart when the devil ate the god of balance. This is a neat founding myth for the show and posits every battle henceforth as one between life and death, not necessarily good and evil.

The nuance here is interesting because King Yeongjeong (Jeon Kuk Hwang), who brings about this entire state of affairs, does so because he used the devil’s power to butcher his opposition and rise to power. However, once his reign is assured, he no longer has use for the devil. Thus, it is sealed away in a painting of the King on a night where everything changes for two families. This seems to posit that evil is almost necessary at times but must be imprisoned before it can go too far. One can only hope the show pursues such a nuanced line of thinking.

Loved: The tight childhood storyline

Spoiler

A show that posits the main couple as meant to be always has a tough job ahead of it because it has to explain to the audience why it’s these two and no other. This job gets even tougher when there’s a childhood connection involved because the weight of selling chemistry and fate falls on the child actors. “Lovers of the Red Sky” accomplishes this through tight writing and the metaphor of sight and sightlessness.

Hong Chun Gi (Kim Yoo Jung) is inadvertently blinded due to a ritual performed by Ha Ram’s (Ahn Hyo Seop) father when sealing the devil into a painting of King Yeongjeong. It is this ritual which results in the devil cursing Joseon to suffer drought and famine. This, in turn, puts Ha Ram in the position of having to be a human sacrifice for the gods to bring rain, and it is that sacrifice which results in Ha Ram and Hong Chun Gi falling into the same lake at the same time where Samshin binds their fates together once more by giving Haram’s sight to Chun Gi.

Every event flows logically from the other. Thus, while the child actors are cute together, and the drama makes the smart decision of hinting at a kiss instead of making the children do so, it is the writing that posits them as meant to be.

Loved: The hints at what is to come

Spoiler
kim-yoo-jung.gif

ahn-hyoseob.gif

surii

There’s so much foreshadowing in these initial episodes! Samshin tells the devil that she’ll restrict his power by giving Chun Gi Haram’s sight but that everything will go back to its place. This means that Chun Gi might go blind in the future, which would cripple her as a painter. It makes for conflict in the love line between her and Haram, because can he really afford to fall in love with the girl whose sight he’ll take?

And there’s more! Before his death, King Yeongjeong says the devil cannot be killed and can only be sealed. Now that Grand Prince Juhyang (Kwak Si Yang) has unleashed the devil upon the world, and it’s only temporarily stuck in Haram, it’s apparent that the only way to get rid of it is to seal it. And the only way to seal it is to have a brilliant artist draw a life-like portrait of the possessed person, like Hong Eun O (Choi Kwang Il), Chun Gi’s father. Given Hong Chun GI’s incredible talent at painting, it is evident that she has a vital part to play in ridding Joseon of the devil. The drama gives away some of what is to come by telling us at the last of a young woman who seals away the devil in a painting after losing her lover, then vanishes. But is this our ending, or just before it?

Speaking of the devil, something appears to have happened post-ritual where a blind Haram and his family were attacked by the former head Shaman Mi Soo’s (Chae Gook Hee) loyal goons. Haram seems to have lived waiting for revenge for the day’s events. But who are his intended targets? And why has he chosen to live as a spymaster? Only time will tell!

Hated: some of the CG

Spoiler

The animation at the start of the first episode was amazing, and the devil looked terrifying, but then things started to look spotty towards the end of the episode. The swirls of golden light around Samshin and the intense dark clouds around Ha Ram are pretty disappointing graphics for 2021. It’s a bit sad as the rest of the cinematography, the painting, and the color palette are all quite lovely.

Worse, Ahn Hyo Seop in demon form looks, interesting to say the least. A defining feature of all sageuk heroes is their stunning mane of glory, like Lee Jun Ki in “Illjimae” and Yoo Ah In in “Sungkyunkwan Scandal”. Poor Ahn Hyo Seob, on the other hand, looks like someone glued a bad weave or a broom to his head! But the acting more than makes up for it!

ahn-hyo-seop-1.png

We still don’t know all that much about the characters. Despite the drama’s Korean title being “Hong Chun Gi,” it feels like we’ve spent a lot more time with Ha Ram. Hopefully the show’s focus shifts to her soon! Playboy prince Yangmyung (Gong Myung) makes a brief appearance, but there’s much to learn of his character. Kwak Si Yang is back as a villain for what feels like the umpteenth time, but he does do it well! Here’s to next week establishing character relationships solidly and getting us into the political and fantastical battles between devil and human, prince and king, and greed and perseverance!

Source

• Like 2
  • Party! 2

@UnniSara ooo that’s a good point you hypothesis you have there about how his love will overpower the demon living within him . And thanks for the most important gif . :pandalove:

Yay @Chocolate glad you’re watching this. This writer’s analysis  is good - I liked her thoughts on TDJ too . I confess story wise , I am more invested in this show than even HCCC. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 9/3/2021 at 9:41 PM, mademoiselle said:

Aiya, I totally forgot to post the below gif which captured Ahn Hyo Seop's "shocked" (?) expression really well. Well done, AHS!

In an interview with Allure he did mention that his fave part of his body is his eyes and me thinks he is doing such good job with his eyes expression - needing to be blind but yet show all the emotions of pain, longing, anger...( ahahaah I am in love)

Full Allure interview: https://youtu.be/xa1VpQWnFGI

Spoiler

z9hugYA.png

These scenes were good

He was behind the screen , and hear a voice that felt familiar but he was trying to figure what it was..

Q1GgPih.png

Anger and revenge written all over as he left the palace

Spoiler

yxi3JsG.png

d88DT2d.png

This sudden jolt of pain that her touch brought

dzXr2tb.png

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Oh wow, didn't expect to see @Chocolate here, and picking up another sageuk. :cuddle:

Bwahahaha @abs-oluteM How in the world did Ahn Hyo Seop's spell engulf you all of a sudden? Is it the eyes? The beauty or the abs? xDDD Eyes is like the window of soul (from Chinese saying) so actors who can emote with their eyes are triple plus for me to be honest.

I think both ( abs and eyes ) enchanted  @abs-oluteM  because he did such an amazing job. Even KYJ’s facial expression in her acting is good. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@mademoiselle Yes it will increase. Did you see Full demon HaRam once he encountered CK. It is so sad that the demon finally took control. But look at how he took control references check @Chocolate screen shot picture of HR. Can’t wait to see his acting in Full demon mode.  He has been sealed in HR’d body for 19 years. That is a long time. Much longer than the king was possessed. Do you guys agree with me?? 

• Like 2

Totally into this drama!

a bit confused about the demons.  

Where did the Demon go after it was unlocked? Has it been roaming 19yrs? 

I thought when HC and HR reconnect his sight will be restored.  so was suprised HR became demon like…. Will HC loose her sight… hmm I need go back and rewatch about curses.   Was totally distracted looking at the animation of the demons.  

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

5 minutes ago, Mizv said:

Totally into this drama!

a bit confused about the demons.  

Where did the Demon go after it was unlocked? Has it been roaming 19yrs? 

Welcome @Mizv The demon was sealed in a painting that CK’s father  painted. Then second prince released it so he can be possessed so he can become King and not his brother. Because second Prince had a talisman protecting him, he couldn’t be possessed. So demon went into Ha Ram’s body where the witch sealed him in and took away his eyes.

Because HR met and crushed on CK he learned on how to be blind which made his life so much easier. 
i maybe embellishing about his blindness but can’t help think so when he remembered the thousand flowers and the illusion of them sitting together. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, UnniSara said:

@mademoiselle Yes it will increase. Did you see Full demon HaRam once he encountered CK. It is so sad that the demon finally took control. But look at how he took control references check @Chocolate screen shot picture of HR. Can’t wait to see his acting in Full demon mode.  He has been sealed in HR’d body for 19 years. That is a long time. Much longer than the king was possessed. Do you guys agree with me?? 

I'm not sure exactly how the Demon and the person he is residing in co-exist. But looking at the example of the old King, he seemed to be able to function and make rational decisions, even those harming the Demon. Thus, I think it will be the same for HR. We should be seeing HR's purpose for the intelligence gathering, his revenge plans and HR and CG's relationship develop. So HR cannot be in demon mode all the time - he should be able to overcome it to take back control. Plus surely he must sit quietly (lol) for CG to paint him in order to seal the demon in future?

16 minutes ago, Mizv said:

@UnniSara thanks! 
So HR made himself not see? Or this is part of the curse to protect him. 

When the demon possessed HR as a boy, Samshin (the good God) sealed him in HR and took away HR's sight and gave it to CG - that's why she could suddenly see and started to learn to paint to support her father. I think the Demon needs sight to be able to wreak havoc - so without it, he has been dormant those 19 years.

Until HR meets CG as adult and in the palanquin, the Demon senses that her eyes were his eyes and is awaken. (I hope I understood correctly lol.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I believe they both can coexist @Chocolate . CK is the one who broke the seal. Once she touched HR, the demon was no longer stuck in HR’s body and finally found his eyes. He was always aware. The demon spoke to HR once he took control. I need to go back and re watch and to tell  you what he says as proof as to why I believe he was always aware but couldn’t do anything. Another thing , every time HR was angry his eyes would clearly go red, the art dealer who betrayed CL called HR red eyes. Do you remember this. 

P.S this is just from my perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

29 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

@abs-oluteM Can we watch this tonight or have to wait till tomorrow for subbed version?

Have to wait. Viu is main subber for Asia , ( and think Viki , Kocowa for North American market). They are not fast like NF. So it will air the next day with subs. 

@mademoiselleaiyoooo ....now I keep thinking if he washed his hair or not. Anyhow I still have not lost my fangirl feels. He was in Little Old Boy last night. So cute ...cc @Alice Wonderland

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@abs-oluteM even he looks he didnt wash it, he still looks super handsome with that messy hair. Hahaha 

so lucky to be that girl like liked. :heart:

@mademoiselle ooohh.. oteokhae.. oeteokhae...!!! I wanna watch it now!!! It's hillarious seeing CG got startled so much like that. Hahahaha. 

the moment he opens his jewel red eyes, I was nervous that the devil would awake again, lols. 

• Haha 5