Hong Cheon Gi / Red Sky 홍천기 [2021]

52 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha I haven't watched E3 and E4. Wanted to watch it together.

@NiteWalker I read from Weibo that in the book, it is happy ending but Haram didn't get his sight back. I'm OK with that :) It would make sense that if one of them have to be blind, it should be Haram because he's already used to it and Cheon Ki would have to get used to it all over again, which is also cruel. And she's an artist, she needs her eyes.

hahaha i havent done episode 4...how to watch them together? lols....

honestly i dont mind if either one remain blind....besides from how it is...its seems like Haram can still see things just things are in gray.........

• Like 3

I wonder who is that customer who ask for sehwa and mehwa painting? His eyes flashes with dark energy, I wonder is it another evil spirit? He seems to absorb some energy from the painting.

Okay samsin said that the demon sealed inside haram's body. The scenario will be CG draw him in order to seal the evil spirit inside the drawing, like the legend says the history in the past would be repeated. But something irks me samsin said the demon won't destroyed before the human's host he's living is still alive, eeehh?? It means to be able to lock him inside the painting haram must be dead first?? Someone enlighten me to this. 

HR recognizes CG first. I wonder how and when she will remember her. They both are taking turns, before she cant see him and now he cant see her. What a fate! Also with the demon sealed inside him,  I think its power itself is able to make a connection with CG, their yin and yang energy, hmm. The butterfly seal somehow is the key to the demon's escape.

HR is feeling slightly jealous over prince yamyung who is likely to be smitten over CG. Blaming his blindness and pouring the tea to stop their interaction much longer. The scenes where the three are together resolving the misunderstanding is the beginning of their love triangle. I'm so ready. Lol. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 hour ago, NiteWalker said:

honestly i dont mind if either one remain blind....besides from how it is...its seems like Haram can still see things just things are in gray.........

Me too, I dont mind he remains blind or otherwise. As long as they don't kill one of both then it is fine for me. I hate sad ending and I dont like to think if we would get it or not. That's tiring to do. 

I'd love to see more on how they will save themselves both from their ill-fated prophecy or saving the country from those evil prince and the black shaman. 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 4

I'm done with both episodes! I find Ho Ryeong, the Inwang Mountain Spirit interesting. Maybe because I didn't think she would appear as a blue eyes white tiger. So pretty. The story progresses rather slow in episode 3, and did not provide any answers as to how or why Ma Wang awakes just from having contact with Cheon Ki. The butterfly tattoo seems to now appear and disappear – how does that work? In the beginning, the tattoo was always there but now it seems to only appear when Haram is near Cheon Ki.

Of course what's the deal with Gan Yoon Gook? From @Chocolate's screenshot, I can now confirm I didn't misread. He was introduced as the Goblin but from Viki's sub, he was introduced as a painter and nothing was mentioned about him being a Goblin. Now he's back seeking "the chosen painter". It was never explained who he really is. A friend or foe? If he lives off the energy of the painting, does that mean he will be going against Samshin as he wants Cheon Ki's painting (energy) himself?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

wonder who is that customer who ask for sehwa and mehwa painting? His eyes flashes with dark energy, I wonder is it another evil spirit? He seems to absorb some energy from the painting.

I think he is the Goblin from eps 1 . @Chocolate mentioned this . Correct? I have yet to watch eps 4 ...going to do so shortly.

@mademoiselle @im0202 bahhahaah...maybe I should just ship these innocent babies , at least I won't get stones thrown at me.

So I think my AHS crush came about when I was watching a video of him speaking English while researching for stuff for this drama. And I think what I like a lot is how soft spoken he is. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

Just finished Ep 4, and I can’t help but regret that I started watching this as soon as it aired! This drama wasn’t originally on my radar but the period/fantasy genre and overall feel kept me absorbed. Now I await each episode with anticipation.😅 I’m liking the music being used as well. 

@abs-oluteM I don’t even dare to post anything in response to @mademoiselle’s tag on the other thread cos I don’t want to risk getting stoned 😂 

Spoiler

After watching the video once it got too dangerous to watch again because their chemistry is really too much 🤣

Hope to get more scenes between CG and HR in the next episodes!! So far they haven’t had the chance for much convo as adults. 
The Hong Hong Hong part was so adorable :heart:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
16 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Waaa do you love it that much? :laugh:

i can say that the chemy is good and the story mixing with fantasy is interesting to me....

14 hours ago, im0202 said:

Always this problem when we watch an on-air drama and it turns out to be good 😅 I was also inner-screaming at the end of ep 4 cos of the 6-day wait haiz...

hahaha...at least here we wont go thru this frustration alone hahahaha :laugh:

• Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

@NiteWalker You have been spoiled in Chinese dramaland with all those advance episodes and releases of entire dramas in one day. I'm glad you are finally going through the misery I go through when I don't have English subs for the Chinese dramas we watch together. 

muahaha-bobsburgers.gif

I'm also interested to see if the Goblin turns out to be a good or bad person as well as what their connection is to both leads. Can't wait for Monday! 

• Haha 5
6 minutes ago, Tofu said:

@NiteWalker You have been spoiled in Chinese dramaland with all those advance episodes and releases of entire dramas in one day. I'm glad you are finally going through the misery I go through when I don't have English subs for the Chinese dramas we watch together. 

dont be so evil my dear...it wasnt so bad as the subtitles came fast enough for me as i can catch either English or Mandarin subtitles and honestly.....Mandarin subtitles always happen on the same night :cool:

the only bad sides is that i have to wait for the new episodes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha....

no choice i had been spoiled badly with CDrama hahahaha :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bahahaha @Tofu you're still at a disadvantage there. C-subs come out really quick for kdramas on Weibo. I think just 1 hour wait and voila - just the quality might not be the same. In this I'm grateful my dad made sure we all learnt Chinese when young and know the basics, so that it becomes a good use in foreign drama viewing :laugh:

BTS

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 4

dummy.png?s=900x600&e=t

4 Moments We Loved From Episodes 3-4 Of “Lovers Of The Red Sky”

Sep 12, 2021 by shalini

Lovers of the Red Sky” sets aside court politics and intrigue to focus more on our painter and astrologer who’ve reunited after 19 years. Both are instantly smitten with the other for vastly different reasons. But the shadow of Ma Wang continues to haunt our young lovers, and as it turns out, he isn’t the only deity around.

Here’s what we thoroughly enjoyed in this week’s episodes!

Warning: spoilers for episodes 3-4 below.

1. Ha Ram the gentleman

Spoiler

What’s fun about the reunion between Ha Ram (Ahn Hyo Seop) and Hong Chun Gi (Kim Yoo Jung) is that it isn’t borne out of a great misunderstanding or a great mistake, as is so often the case with sageuks (“Love in the Moonlight,” “The Tale of Nokdu,” and so forth). They don’t antagonize each other at first sight but immediately form a connection. This, of course, only serves to hint that we’ll get our fair share of angst in the future once Ma Wang’s role in their respective sight and sightlessness comes in to play, but for now, it’s just plain adorable.

ahn-hyo-seop-kim-yoo-jung1.gif

ahn-hyo-seop-kim-yoo-jung2.gif

surii

From the very beginning, Ha Ram has noticed the similarities between Chun Gi (Kim Yoo Jung) with the blind girl he met all those years ago. Once he has this confirmed, he only grows more fascinated with her as a person and how she came to be able to see. What’s so delightful about Ha Ram’s character is that he isn’t a standoffish person. As delicious as those male leads can be, some of their antics can be on the more troubling side. Ha Ram seems to save that side of him for plotting intrigue. In front of Chun Gi, he’s all quiet smiles and petty revenge when anyone dares mock her. A ripped gentleman scholar with a dark side. What’s not to love!

gong-myung-kim-yoo-jung-ahn-hyo-seop.gif

1b0fab0d79d2bc1e12a4104b1e584e963521a2b4

2. Grand Prince Yangmyung thinking he’s the male lead

Spoiler

Prince Yangmyung (Gong Myung) is the perfect foil to Ha Ram because he does everything a traditional rom-com male lead would do.

gong-myung-kim-yoo-jung.gif

gong-myung-kim-yoo-jung2.gif

mostlyfate

He’s incredibly full of himself, talks down to Chun Gi (because he truly doesn’t know better), and earnestly makes fun of her because he really doesn’t get why he shouldn’t. Naturally, she’s far from impressed, thinks he’s an idiot, and they have a grand misunderstanding of a first meeting. In another show, this would have been a sign that they’re meant to. In this one, it signals that Prince Yangmyung is in desperate need of a reality check, and Chun Gi is not interested in giving it to him.

Yangmyung seems to have little significance to the political maneuvering in the background, but with Crown Prince Juhyang (Kwak Si Yang) on the warpath and hunting for allies, it remains to be seen if his definitely-not-happening romance with Chun Gi might tip him one way or the other.

3. The other deities

Spoiler

Right when it seems that Ma Wang and Samshin (Moon Sook) were the only gods in play, we meet Ho Ryeong (Jo Ye Rin), the spirit of Inwang Mountain. A blue-eyed white tiger, and occasionally a human girl, Ho Ryeong has power over the mountain and, to some extent, the land the palace is situated on. Given the way she quickly ties up Ma Wang, it seems they’re of equal strength. There’s no doubt she’ll be an important figure in the battle to come.

But there’s another equally mysterious figure that arrives toward the end of episode 4, who seems to be a deity in some sense.

vlcsnap-2021-09-09-20h26m42s250-e1631234

vlcsnap-2021-09-09-20h41m32s987-e1631234

Could this be the mysterious Shim with a hat famed for being a great painter? If so, why did he commission a painting from Chun Gi? There’s clearly so much more to the mythology of this drama than just good and evil, and it’ll be exciting to see just how it all comes together.

4. The painting contest

Spoiler

What better way to bring our good guys, our bad guys, Chun Gi, and Prince Yangmyung together than to hold a painting contest? This felt a little like Cinderella’s ball with poor Chun Gi locked in the shed by Choi Won Ho (Kim Kwang Kyu), the head of the Baegyu Painting Institute, and forced to complete paintings instead of being able to compete. But with the arrival of the mysterious stranger in a hat (her fairy godmother?), Chun Gi’s able to escape and race in time to the contest where she bumps into her Prince Charming. Oh that’s too fun.

But what is to come promises to be just as entertaining: Chun Gi will likely have to face famous painters from other cities and combat them in various challenges. Yangmyung might recognize her signature butterfly and out her as the counterfeit painter. And unknown to Chun Gi, the contest is a front for selecting the painter to handle the king’s portrait. She’ll be right in the middle of Ha Ram’s double life as Il Wol Seong and Juhyang’s one-man Shakespearean villain show.

This is just as well because for a drama titled Hong Chun Gi (Korean title), very little of the drama has actually focused on her as a person. We’ve seen her talent for painting, her ability to get into and out of trouble, her attraction to Ha Ram, and her love and concern for her father, but the rest of the show thus far has drawn us more toward Ha Ram. No doubt, he’s a great character in his own right who seems to use his blindness and quiet demeanor to hide a razor-sharp mind that’s built a network of spies everywhere. He has a fascinating relationship with the king, whom he seems to revere but also resent. Plus there’s all the upcoming angst with the truth of what happened to his sight. There’s much to mine there. But Chun Gi remains comparatively underdeveloped. It’s a shame because Kim Yoo Jung is definitely capable of handling more complex roles.

kim-yoo-jung1.gif

storge

Nevertheless, with 12 episodes to go, there’s hope that Chun Gi will gain more control of her narrative. Her impassioned outburst to Choi Won Ho that he allows women to join the Painting Institute but refuses to let them compete hints that we might start seeing a little more to our plucky painter. Plus, Samshin hints that Chun Gi will be instrumental to creating a bowl that will seal Ma Wang, so the gods clearly have big plans for her!

Alas, there is no preview for next week’s episodes, but moments like this will surely tide us all over until Monday.

90967ac34472cae550316419f87f15ce35f3184b

gong-myung-kim-yoo-jung4.gif

ahn-hyo-seop-kim-yoo-jung4.gif

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Oh it seems she may have been found out???

20210913101151_613ea5573317d_1.jpg

This confrontation with Hong Chun-ki and Yang Myung-gun is different from the previous relationship between the two, which was pleasant, raising curiosity. Previously  Yang Myeong-gi thought Hong Cheon-gi was audacious, but passed over her cute misunderstanding with a laugh, causing excitement. The reason why Grand Prince Yangmyeong looked at her sternly was because of the paintings she drew. The appearance of Grand Prince Yang Myeong looking at Hong Chun-ki's paintings attentively raises curiosity about what kind of paintings Hong Chun-ki drew.

What kind of evaluation did Grand Prince Yang Myeong give to Hong Chun-ki's paintings, and why did he give Hong Chun-ki a cold expression? The production team of 'Hongcheongi' said, "On this day, the competition hall is very noisy because of the Hongcheongi. Please support and watch until the end to see what the fate of Hong Chun-ki, who is in danger of being eliminated from the painting contest she was in.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

My stream wasn't so good today but some key highlights

SPOILERS fr ep 5

https://star.mt.co.kr/stview.php?no=2021091318504798032

On this day, Hong Chun-gi was stopped by Go-pil (Ko Gyu-pil) while trying to enter the place of the painting. To make matters worse, Hong Chun-ki ran into a group of Jeong Shon-nae (Yang Hyeon-min) and was in danger of not attending the meeting and being dragged into Jeong Shon-nae in danger.

At that time, Haram (Ahn Hyo-seop) appeared and stopped the gang. Haram put a staff on Jeong's arm and said, "I'll take this woman."

Haram said, "This woman is also a participant today. Let's go in together." 

Like that, Hong Cheon Gi  participated in the contest. Hong's drawings were well received by all the judges, but were rejected by Lee Yul (Gong Myung). After discovering a butterfly in Hong's painting, he said, "It must be a painting that takes advantage of the blank space. However, it was said that plum blossoms do not sell their fragrance even if they live in the cold for the rest of their lives. I want the artist  to ponder the meaning of my words,” he declared. (Think he suspects she is the one who has been copying the paintings.) 

Hong Chun-ki raised his hand during the screening and came to the front and asked why. Lee Yul explained the reason, saying, "You have enough talent," but "It shows the shallow insides of the painter who is busy trying to win people's favor." All the judges began to criticize Lee Yul for kicking up an unnecessary fuss , and Hong Chun-ki was on the verge of being eliminated.

/

At that time, Han Geon (Jang Hyun-seong) found out that Hong Cheon-gi was the daughter of Hong Eun-oh (Choi Kwang-il), and took the opportunity to pass her unconditionally. He had been under a secret order from the King to find a divine painter. 

During a break, Hong Chun-ki asked Choi Jeong (Hong Kyung) about Haram. Choi Jeong said, "There was a rumor that he was offered as a sacrifice for the Seokcheok rain festival in the past, but there are rumors that he survived and now it has become blind with a red eye." 

In the next contest, Haram recited a picture theme. Haram recites a memory of a plum blossom with Hong Cheon-ki 19 years ago, and Hong Cheon-ki strongly speculates that Haram is that boy she met 20 years ago. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 5:59 PM, Alice Wonderland said:

HR recognizes CG first. I wonder how and when she will remember her. They both are taking turns, before she cant see him and now he cant see her. What a fate! Also with the demon sealed inside him,  I think its power itself is able to make a connection with CG, their yin and yang energy, hmm. The butterfly seal somehow is the key to the demon's escape.

We will get the answer today! I too was wondering how - but in today's contest he had the opportunity to describe the theme for the contest. He talks about the scene of the time they met as children, and therefore she makes the connection that he could be the boy she met. 

@Chocolate In the article you posted , I love the writer's observations  about how HR and Yang Myung's character arcs are flipped - it is true that HR is not the usual 1st lead ,  and YM as the 2nd love interest started on the wrong foot with CG ( a trope usually reserved for the 1st lead) .

HaRam is my favourite character  here . He is  sweet, soft spoken and seems kind. But he is also seething with revenge and that makes him very fascinating. From setting up Ilwolseong to gather information  to using the gisaeng to gain Prince Joo Hyang's trust  to having the King's trust and affections, he is clearly not a simple man.  It takes a lot of cunning to exact such an elaborate revenge. I wonder what it is that he wants - the destruction of this kingdom? Who is it that he wants on the throne ? Or who is it that he wants dead?

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1