Monster/ Beyond Evil 괴물 [2021]

Watching the 1st 10 mins of eps 5 and so HJW's dad sold him out so to speak. After JW's press con, his dad did another one refuting what JW said. He said that there is no proof  the all 7 missing folks are dead . He even revealed that the body of one of them that was recently found had contact with JW. So JW's link or involvement in this is being investigated,  and that he has reassigned JW to a rural area in the meantime. The father does mention that JW is his son , and what he did was irresponsible. The father may have  a point there , though I think that JW is forced to do this to bring spotlight to the cases.  Anyhow it  clearly shows that dad is not going to let JW ruin or bungle up his chances of being made the Police Chief , but maybe he is also protecting JW.  I initially thought the dad was getting some sort of kickback or support  from Lee Chang Jin who wants to develop the area. But after the dinner with Lee and the council woman, dad did not seem comfortable and maybe he was  indebted to them from the past. Anyway they cannot afford to have any crimes in the area at this point given the redevelopment plans. 

Chief Han is trying hard to protect JW - to him JW is like a loose canon that seems to get himself into trouble. Chief Han puts too much trust in that errand boy/ prosecutor of his. The latter desires very much to be Han's son and is envious of JW . He is also ambitious and is greedy for more - has the potential of betraying the Han father & son.

Edited by abs-oluteM
  • Like 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Am done with eps 5  - it was good story telling and I love that in spite of the distrust between the two, it is clear that JW knows that DS is not the killer . JW was frustrated that DS refused to tell him who it actually is . However  the event at the town centre where DS pulled Kang Jin Mook away from the stage gave JW new leads of who he thinks the killer could be . JW now suspects that the best friend - record keeper Jung Je may be the one given the cryptic exchange of words between  JW and Jung Je's mother. The event actually reaffirms why DS is so cynical and plays the psychological game that he does with JW. The town folks have never forgiven DS for hindering the redevelopment of the city. They still think he is the murderer that got away and that he is the reason they lost so much money since the city did not get to prosper. In spite of JW not liking DS , he could not stand DS being held back by those gangsters of Lee Chang Jin.

I just loved it when YJG started fighting here

So anyway JW started checking on Jung Je's background & realised that JJ had been warded in a mental ward for 4 years after the incident 20years ago. He also was alcoholic and struggled with hallucinations and would always draw pictures of a doe. Honestly, at that point, I was wondering if Jung Je was the one because he said he kept seeing women in his dreams. What more , Ji Hoon's talk with DS revealed that the last person he saw Min Jung with was Jung Je. So it made sense she was happy to see Jung Je....but here comes the revelation at the end  ( as we had guessed)  ..someone else was watching them too.

Spoiler

cyyicji.png

So let's just say if he really is the killer , I am wondering whether DS is truly trying to protect him or that DS knows/ suspects he is the killer but has no proof. 

Preview

New stills for eps 6

105749432.1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I'm like on a drama marathon since last night - Mouse, The Sword and The Brocade, Beyond Evil and Vincenzo tonight! Not sure how long I can keep this up 😅

Poor Dong Sik. He seems to have the weight of the whole world on his shoulders but has to put up a facade to seem like he couldn't care less or that he is a nutcase. And yet taking pills when no one is looking.

I wish Joo Won would be a more helpful character soon. So far, he is naive and rash, jumps to conclusions and only knows to keep pressing Dong Sik to give him answers. He is an added burden to Dong Sik.

Are they intended to work together eventually? Or will they forever be at logger heads?

27 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

...but here comes the revelation at the end  ( as we had guessed)  ..someone else was watching them too.

And he looks quite normal here doesn't he? Was he pretending to be mentally-challenged?

Spoiler

cyyicji.png

But it's only episode 5 - surely they will not expose the killer so soon...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@Chocolate I have watched Mouse x 2 and Youn's Stay. Next up will be Beyond Evil. I also wanted to watch a movie. Not going very well with it with Jang Haven being a huge distraction. :P

I've also got Times (ep3-4) and Sisyphus ep6 on the list. Thank god it's a long weekend.

LOLLL I didn't know you pick up on Harem C-drama xD

Will be back (hopefully) later for thoughts, if any.

• Haha 6

@mademoiselle Same same. My BinJin thread is suffering lol.

I was also trying to watch Times, but think will leave it till it finishes. Will binge if the review is good.

I love harem dramas, provided it is good. Love to see the one-upsmanship. So trying this out. 46 episodes 😭 But thankfully it's 45 minutes each (not like k-dramas where the length is eratic) and can work and watch since I understand Mandarin!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Haha, the highlight for me is Lee Do Hyun's special appearance again! I think there's so much more of him that we have yet to see! With that short few minutes of screen time... look at how expressive he is.

%EA%B4%B4%EB%AC%BC_E05_4?attach=2&knm=img.gif

%EA%B4%B4%EB%AC%BC_E05_6?attach=2&knm=img.gif

%EA%B4%B4%EB%AC%BC_E05_7?attach=2&knm=img.gif

So now the suspect has gone from Dong Shik → Jeong Je → the disabled father. Even if it is the disabled father, I don't understand why Dong Shik or everyone would protect him.

EDIT: Oh yeah, when Joo Won's dad came out from the restaurant and Joo Won was waiting for him, I seriously thought he was going to slap Joo Won (the scenario was very similar to Romantic Doctor 1 where the same actor came out of the hospital and slap my Yang Se Jong). LOL. For a moment, I fear for Jin Goo's face. xD

Ok, a bit of complaint and realisation why I easily lose my concentration with this drama. They talk too much, especially Dong Shik and Joo Won. It's been many episodes already that both are going round in circle with the "Did you or did you not?", "Tell me the truth" and withholding information from each other. Can both start doing some more detective work to find the real killer?

@SilverMoonTea too bad that fight scene from Jin Goo is a bit too short, LOL. Hahaha yeah, I know you sold harem drama to Chocolate. Saw it somewhere, I can't remember where.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 6

Episode 5

- Just did the watch and it was an interesting episode. It seems like pretty much everyone in the town can be a suspect since a lot of them have motives and back stories as well....remind me never to live in a creepy small town :psweatduck:

- But the focus does seem to be toward JJ and the supermarket owner/MJ's dad...the episode was intercut between revealing lots of suspicious information about JJ like he was in a mental hospital for a long time, has dreams about women and thinks he killed a deer or a person that looked like a deer. But even before the big reveal at the end, this episode had lots of scenes with MJ's dad including the fact that he went to that event (which DS disrupted) and there was a scene of him watching the news and then curling up on the floor...:MonkaTang:

- It's hard to know which person sounds more suspicious or whether the suspicions will move on next episode (ie. the young officer JH also sounds like he has issues...he use to avoid people and stay in his rooms? Typical teenage/introverted behaviour...or another suss backstory... :thinking:)

- I agree with @Chocolate Episode 5 does seem early to reveal the killer...But I also feel like we're just going to get a focus on several characters and then we'll start to pick off the red herrings and get to just one of these guys in the line up...so even if it's not MJ's dad, it could be JJ or DS even...it's hard to rule out anyone in the line up at the moment. :lenny:

3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

So let's just say if he really is the killer , I am wondering whether DS is truly trying to protect him or that DS knows/ suspects he is the killer but has no proof. 

I wonder too :thinking: There's always a strange tension between them...it's like DS pities him but also hates him?  He's rough to him with a lot of yelling and sarcasm, but then seems to feel guilty for being that way and will reluctantly tell him to look after himself. That would seem like he suspects him....or is it that he has seen what he's done and protects him, but feels bitter about doing so??

3 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I wish Joo Won would be a more helpful character soon. So far, he is naive and rash, jumps to conclusions and only knows to keep pressing Dong Sik to give him answers. He is an added burden to Dong Sik.

Are they intended to work together eventually? Or will they forever be at logger heads?

53 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

They talk too much, especially Dong Shik and Joo Won. It's been many episodes already that both are going round in circle with the "Did you or did you not?", "Tell me the truth" and withholding information from each other. Can both start doing some more detective work to find the real killer?

Haha, while I like both characters, they do talk a lot and in very sharp tones and in indirect, misleading ways to each other which can be fun, but also annoying as it is a bit circular. @Chocolate I do agree JW can be rash and barges in a lot, but I also think DS could stop playing mind games on his part too....like he knows JW has this complex about getting that woman killed, but he seems to enjoy hanging it over JW's head...which doesn't seem to help with solving the crime either...it just makes JW more frustrated and therefore act more rash and angry? Will these two just stop provoking each other... :pandaheadstomp:

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Haha, the highlight for me is Lee Do Hyun's special appearance again! I think there's so much more of him that we have yet to see! With that short few minutes of screen time... look at how expressive he is.

I was thrilled to see LDH play the younger version of DS since it seemed like they'd flashback quite a bit given that the past case is a cold case and tied to the present case...seems more like a side role than just a cameo :CharmanderYay:

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

@SilverMoonTea too bad that fight scene from Jin Goo is a bit too short, LOL. 

@SilverMoonTea Were you disappointed that the cameras were barely on YJG while he was fighting? Must admit to feeling like more was needed :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Yes...my prediction was right ...the supermarket owner is a psycho. The only thing is based on the raw cuts that I skimmed  through, I don't know if DS had known all along.

What actually happened...hope this is not some dream sequence

Spoiler

He's pretty much fooled every one

Spoiler

But what is even more shocking though was that a text came to him from MJ's phone ( I have a feeling that DS sent it )

Preview

• Like 1
  • Shocked 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Yes...my prediction was right ...the supermarket owner is a psycho. The only thing is based on the raw cuts that I skimmed  through, I don't know if DS had known all along.

Ah yes, He was my first guess/ hunch too! Mainly because it's always the innocent looking ones...and he was the one that came out when DS and JW were talking and saying the criminal always returns to the scene of the crime. But in a weird way I feel a little disappointed knowing from this episode coz it would be more fun trying to figure it out between several suspects for a few more episodes since everyone in the town presented quite darkly. But now with these new scenes, I feel like DS isn't protecting him but has maybe always felt a little uneasy about him? :thinking:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

I think all of us had predicted in some way or another that the supermarket owner was going to be the monster. Even then, I had chills when his expression changed from someone with an intellectual disability that they all know to someone who has carefully thought out how he was going to get away with what he did. 

It seems to me like Dong Sik knows that Jin Mook is the person that has been committing these crimes. Shin Ha Kyun is such a good actor. This scene where he looks down and just smiles -- it was almost like he was saying "you're so full of BS" to Jin Mook. 

c8d9f7f9836f6b2c7b9e02ff0fe2cfcf52291475

As everyone said, I liked that Joo Won came to Dong Sik's defense even though he use some excuse about he's an officer and the gangsters were breaking the law. In general, it was nice to see both of them just working with each other in these last two episodes. 

I had a moment of frustration at Joo Won in episode six. I don't even remember what was going on, but for someone who graduated top in his class, this whole back and forth with Dong Sik on who the criminal was just a bit exhausting to watch. I'm glad that we're starting to see Joo Won investigate all the potential suspects instead of just focusing on Dong Sik. 

The side story with the prosecutor and Joo Won's father -- it was interesting to see Joo Won's father put him in his place because he was getting a bit annoying. :niu:Also, @mademoiselle, I completely agreed. I thought he was going to hit Joo Won when he walked out but he just passed by him. His Dr. Romantic character is still very fresh in my mind. 

Random, but because I've watched Yeo Jin Goo ever since he was young, all those scenes with him and whiskey, I keep thinking, "Aren't you a little too young for that?!" :shocked2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I just finished episode 6. It's greaaaat that the true serial killer is revealed because I honestly am getting impatient of the repetitive back & forth between Dong Shik and Joo Won that goes absolutely no where. It's not even exciting to watch anymore, the supposedly charged acting.

Joo Won is becoming more & more like a baby crying for food rather than doing actual detective work / investigation. What's the use of repeatedly interrogating Dong Shik, who obviously knows something but has a reason not to reveal. I'm disappointed that this character isn't very smart. :GengarPout:

This drama perhaps should be shortened to 10 or 12 episodes, I hope they are not continuing with lengthy dialogues for the rest of the 10 episodes too.

So, do we all agree Dong Shik was the one who sent Jin Mook that text with Min Jung's phone? Perhaps this explained why he's not himself when he arrived at Jae Yi's BBQ shop that night. He found the phone and knew something had happened to Min Jung. Although how he is the one that places the fingers there still baffled me. Did he perhaps put it there as his way to warn Jin Mook he knows (and also ensure the town knows a murder has taken place?) and he pretended so that he could observe and cease the right opportunity to catch Jin Mook with substantial evidences? The show did make sure we are reminded many times the killer cannot be indicted without the corpses.

To be honest, the relationship between Dong Shik, Jin Mook and Min Jung puzzle me. Is Min Jung really Jin Mook's daughter? Or a step-daughter? Did Jin Mook kill Min Jung's mother then? So many names were thrown around, I cannot remember this little details (and didn't help I lose concentration with the long-winded dialogues).

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 6

Episode 6 was quite exciting!

So Jin Mook is the killer of his daughter. And he is obviously “normal” and has been putting on an act. Dong Sik seems to know he is the killer and finally decided to out him when Ji Hoon was suspected.

But why did Dong Sik protect him? It can’t be for the simple reason that he is “family” or “disabled”. After all, if he is a killer, shouldn’t Dong Sik worry that he will kill others? Especially after he really killed his daughter.

And is Jin Mook the killer for the others? I think there should be more to be revealed since there are 10 more episodes.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

And is Jin Mook the killer for the others? I think there should be more to be revealed since there are 10 more episodes.

There's something fishy about Park Jeong Jae too. Him and his "I keep hearing a woman voice". By the way, I can't remember very well anymore but Yoo Yeon has a boyfriend then, isn't it? Was she the one on the phone talking to Oppa? Maybe Jeong Jae was the boyfriend.

• Like 5

For me this is still the best of the current lot mainly because of the wonderful complexity in the characterization of every single character. It does a stellar job of taking elements of a police procedural and exploring the men and women who are groping around this space doing their bit not as cops but as long-time members of Manyang. Before they are cops, they are neighbours, friends, siblings and comrades-in-arms. There is a history that has to be understood before the murders make sense. I think there is something sinister about Manyang that goes beyond its home-grown serial killer and collusion among government officials and clumsy attempts at cover-up.

To this point I haven't changed my mind about Ju-won. His motives/impulses are complex and the storytelling does a brilliant job in putting him in his place as far as the people of Manyang are concerned. In some ways he is the consummate outsider and the show cleverly, in my view, subverts the role of the outsider as the dispassionate observer. No one here can make claims to objectivity, intelligence notwithstanding. I've been vocal about the fact that I've not liked his approach to the entire case from the start but I will acknowledge that he is demonstrating a capacity to learn from his mistakes in recent days. We and Dong-sik are right to question his motives and MO because he has his own baggage to deal with. I don't mind that people carry around some baggage -- none of us are perfect -- but as DS rightly points out, drop the pretence to duty. I can understand why he didn't want anyone to know about the illegal immigrant he used as bait and even why he resorted to that tactic but it's part of a pattern highlighting a tendency toward recklessness. Yeo Jin-goo does a good job of bringing out all sides of the character and considering his age, he is doing really well here. Ju-won shouts "outsider" the whole time.

I am gratified that he doesn't get away with his impetuosity entirely. There are consequences with him trying to create waves. It's interesting too that he's been called a "child" or "boy" by other characters. What's also interesting to me is that even though I'm usually on the side of the main detective, I'm not really cheering him on in this context. There seems to me to be an Educating Ju-won stream going on. He's being schooled not just about being a better investigator but about the harshness of life. It's been back to the drawing board for him. It was never as simple as he initially believed... because people are not simple.

Dong-sik is increasingly seen as someone with a saviour complex. I think he sees himself as a self-styled sentinel for his hometown and obviously it begs the question as to why he is going to all the trouble of creating this persona, inviting slurs and making himself the punching bag. What does he get out of this? It seems like self-flagellation when he already knows who the perpetrator is. Survivor's guilt must play a role. However, it is gradually dawning on him that there are consequences to covering up for the perp. Other people are inadvertently dragged into the fray because of the lack of resolution.

I don't think this was ultimately about who killed the women. Their deaths absolutely matter... the show hammers that home repeatedly, naming them but there hasn't been much doubt as to who the culprit is for some time. The drama isn't about him. He is symbolic of a festering wound that's been spreading all throughout this dysfunctional community. It wouldn't surprise me if there are more explosive secrets in store because there is something about the mental state of the men that seems to point in that direction. The resident psychopath might just be the tip of a putrid iceberg. 

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Episode 6

- Man, the real killer JM is creepy and calculative and it's clear from what MJ was trying to tell JJ (which her father seemed to have heard before he raced home to prepare to chop off her fingers) was that sometimes he gave her goose bumps. So clearly, it seems the reason that she didn't like coming home was that she also felt something was very off about her dad....I was going to say did he put on an act every time she was home from college?  Did she think he was differently abled like the rest of society or did she see a different side of him where he functioned more regularly but with a creepily cold/ controlling front? :thinking:

- The other thing that weirds me out is that he even has a daughter? I'm sure this will be explained in future episodes...but if he is as different as he portrays himself to be, and the town's aunties were as judgemental as they were shown to be (they were all saying DS was lazy and no good in the first episode)...who would let their daughter marry/ have kids with him? :thinking:

- As much as JW does annoy with his antagonising of DS and the town's folk, I do also understand his impatience with the small town's police and their "turning a blind eye" towards erasing things etc. The root of corruption anywhere is this whole buddy-buddy, I do you a favour, you do me a favour type of attitude...and it's one thing to have faith in someone, but quite another to bend the rules so far that they're broken completely because you have faith...that's when the waters get murky and why it is so so so hard to investigate anything. :psweatduck:

- In terms of JW and DS, I think they both equally annoy me  :laugh:They are both at polar ends of the spectrum- JW is very in your face and hot-headed. But DS is also not helping with his sarcasm and refusal to co-operate, though I do understand why he seems to be reluctant to tell JW anything because he's so rash and would probably mess it up for them. DS also seems to have held onto his suspicions for a long time now and I think he wants proof before he attacks.

7 hours ago, Tofu said:

It seems to me like Dong Sik knows that Jin Mook is the person that has been committing these crimes. Shin Ha Kyun is such a good actor. This scene where he looks down and just smiles -- it was almost like he was saying "you're so full of BS" to Jin Mook. 

5 hours ago, Chocolate said:

So Jin Mook is the killer of his daughter. And he is obviously “normal” and has been putting on an act. Dong Sik seems to know he is the killer and finally decided to out him when Ji Hoon was suspected.

But why did Dong Sik protect him? It can’t be for the simple reason that he is “family” or “disabled”. After all, if he is a killer, shouldn’t Dong Sik worry that he will kill others? Especially after he really killed his daughter.

From the context provided in episode 6, I don't think DS was trying to protect JM...more that he had always suspected it was JM, but he hasn't been able to prove it was him. Unlike JW, DS isn't about to openly tell everyone who he suspects. :lenny:

The other thing to remember is that DS was publicly known as the suspect of those past murders, so if he said things without proof, he would look even more guilty....especially accusing someone who seems differently abled. And it's been mentioned that without a body, the suspect of a murder walks free. So I guess all these years since the first sets of murders, DS has just held onto his suspicions quietly by himself while he worked to become a cop and tried to find the bodies. Since no other murders happened (or few), he couldn't really do anything to investigate JM. But I'm guessing the reason he became close to MJ (like a second dad) is because he was worried about her safety, which is why he was crying and saying sorry after she died....not because he protecting JM, but because he couldn't protect MJ from JM? :thinking:

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

So, do we all agree Dong Shik was the one who sent Jin Mook that text with Min Jung's phone? Perhaps this explained why he's not himself when he arrived at Jae Yi's BBQ shop that night. He found the phone and knew something had happened to Min Jung. Although how he is the one that places the fingers there still baffled me. Did he perhaps put it there as his way to warn Jin Mook he knows (and also ensure the town knows a murder has taken place?) and he pretended so that he could observe and cease the right opportunity to catch Jin Mook with substantial evidences? 

Yep, I think it's definitely DS who sent the text and he did probably find the phone, but I thought it would have been after they left the butcher shop? I'm a little confused on the late night time line to be honest. What time MJ comes home and is attacked and what time everyone finishes dinner and when everyone follows her. 

Also agree, the scene with him putting out the fingers still hasn't been explained...did he imagine or dream it? If he knew where to find her fingers, wouldn't he know where to find her? also wouldn't his fingerprints be on the evidence then? :lettalKWA: (I guess he had gloves on. Still)

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

In some ways he is the consummate outsider and the show cleverly, in my view, subverts the role of the outsider as the dispassionate observer.

I think it's interesting because through JW's character (who we follow a lot) we're reminded that we are also outsiders to this dark little town. We see a lot more than JW since we also get to watch everything unfold from DS's point of view, but we're never quite let in on the conversations between townsfolk...they are often snippets, cut short just before we can piece everything together...and we have to wait till a DS scene before things are clarified a bit better :MonkaTang:

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

First..I agree with @mademoiselle ... this drama somehow has a lot of conversations..aka ..they talk too much :shocked2: 

The same with some of you, I'm also glad that we finally found out the true perpetrator behind KMJ's death.

However, I somehow feel..that he might be the murderer for ALL the dead/missing women investigated by HJW. Only a few out of all those 8 women lived in Munju area and the rest...who knows. And I don't think Jin Mook ever lived somewhere else apart from Munju..unless that detail has not be revealed. 

Jin Mook might not be mentally challenged, but he's definitely mentally ill. He might not be the not-so-bright person he tried to portray, but he could very well be a psychopath or the like. I wonder whether his daughter comment on how she found him creepy triggered the crime (now until this point of time, we can't be certain yet whether or not she truly dies? although I'd think that she would have). 

And I for one, wouldn't be too happy if in fact Dong Shik already knew all along that he was the perpetrator but decided to help Jin Mook escape his just punishment. I hope Dong Shik is doing this for other more 'valid' reasons...maybe because there wasn't any body and therefore Jin Mook won't be able to prosecuted or something... or perhaps he still can't be sure 100% that Jin Mook was responsible for all disappearances and murders. 

Anyway..gotta go back to my study~ ciao

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

Have been busy with work , too many dramas & Wallace Chung’s harem  but this drama’s plot keeps playing in my mind. The reveal of the murderer so early on may or may not be a red herring. But I don’t actually think this show is a whodunnit kind of series. I have a feeling that Dong Shik is not revealing this just yet because he has insufficient proof. It’s interesting that everyone is trying to protect everyone - are they all keeping quiet because they themselves may be implicated in some way or that they don’t want to be the finger pointer who ends up disturbing the town’s supposed peace & stopping its progress ? 

I agree with @40somethingahjumma about the mental state of the men in this town. While KMJ has been shown to be psychopathic, Jung Je , the young cop & the station chief give me strange vibes in how they seem so calm & family like in front of each other but they all seem particularly disturbed . Everyone is like a time bomb . I have a feeling that they are all living with the guilt of hiding what they know or suspect regarding the deaths / disappearance of these women . 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Oh yay BE day. Looks like KJM will continue his pretense as the pitiful father of a victim. :pandablank:

My guess is this -  I don't think Dong Sik was suspicious of KJM before till what happened to Kang Min Jung

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20210312/105845148/1

105845136.1.jpg

The relationship will also change between them as in they will start to cooperate

https://www.sedaily.com/NewsView/22JRN7CPWV

22JRN7CPWV_1.jpg

• Like 5

Halfway through eps 7 , I finally understand now why Dong Shik is not revealing that KJM is the killer. As I had guessed , he didn't know before this. He found out by accident the night Min Jeong went missing. He had come to Mayang shop. By then KJM had already killed her & chopped off her fingers. But KJM was interrupted when Ji Hoon came to get makgeolli. KJM hastily locked the door to the basement where her fingers were , and left with JH. But he dropped the key. DS picked the key up when he went into the shop & ended up discovering the fingers & her phone. He was going to call the cops then some messages from Jung Je Ji Hoon came asking MJ to come & eat. But he said that the father  (KJM) forbid him to disturb her since the latter said she was dead asleep. That struck Dong Shik hard as he suddenly realised that KJM may have done this. At that moment KJM's call came in & DS realised that KJM has been lying & pretending. But he hesitated after that to call the cops because he remembers what he told JW - in SK it is impossible to put someone in jail for murder without a body. He quickly went to the yard where KJM  makes kimchi. He ended up finding the phone of the lady that JW was using as bait. So he knew that KJM is the killer.

On top of that , in the early part of the episode they did a flashback to DS and his partner Sang Yeob 3 years ago.  They were on a stake out for this serial killer who had already killed 3 college girls. Sang Yeob was getting frustrated that they could not get the killer yet. DS told him he needed to be patient as insufficient evidence could end up turning a murderer into a wrongly accused victim , and they can never prosecute the perpetrator for the same crime again. DS was being careful here . The partner was emotional as one of the victims was his sister's friends. Unfortunately on one of the night's the partner saw the killer and tailed him without waiting for DS. DS raced to where Sang Yeob & the killer were . The killer shot & killed Sang Yeob. DS managed to catch the killer and was about to cuff him while waiting for back-up but the killler provoked DS saying he did this out of self defense. DS was so mad knowing this guy might just never get punished and he ended up smashing the guys head on the ground. Think this was how Dong Shik was demoted from the Violent Crimes Unit to where he is now.

So what is clear is this DS understands the law will not indict the murderer if there's insufficient concrete evidence & also if one uses illegally obtained evidence. The SK law does not allow a person to prosecuted twice for the same case even with hard evidence. It will be grave injustice to the real victims & their families if the perpetrator ends up getting sympathy and becomes the "victim".  In KJM's case , he may end up scot free & given his mental condition , no one may believe he is the killer. Dong Shik put those fingers & sent that message from Min Jeong's phone because he understands this is the only way to get KJM to crack, make a mistake and confess. 

• Clapping Hands 4

The balance of eps 7 was even better - but with so much happening & the fact that they had caught Kang Jin Mook, what will the rest of the episodes be about?

So what I found interesting that it was now Jae Yi's turn to be the suspect. Kang Jin Mook had set this up telling JW that she went missing for an hour the night of Min Jeong's death.  (You can see Dong Shik's disgust seeing how Jin Mook is pretending to be the worried father . )  It turns out that JY went for a nap in the attic above her shop that night; it was something that she did normally since the customers were all the cops / friends and she trusted them enough to help themselves at the shop. So the cops had to search her shop but of course found nothing. Then later on Jin Mook  got another text from MJ's phone telling dad that to let her out. This shocked both JM and Dong Sik too. 

DS went to the trash area where he kept MJ's phone and it was missing. A map asking to meet at a place in some hill was left there. DS headed for the place & it was JaeYi. Long story short both JY and DS now know about what was going on and JY was already suspicious of Jin Mook before this. JY was adamant that she will do all she can to find her mother , so she will go along with DS's plan.

At the same time , Jung Je who had initially gone missing turns himself in setting Ji Hoon free. Jung Je said he was the last person to see MJ , so he was the most probable suspect. Jung Je definitely has some mental issues , but I was sure when watching that he wasn't the killer. Anyhow I think Jung Je just wants to protect his friends. DS did go see him in the holding cell & told JJ that he is definitely not the killer.

Meanwhile JW is still on the fence about DS being the killer . This came about because he realised that Nam Sang Bae ( the station chief ) had deleted the CCTV recordings around the supermarket area. JW thinks that NSB wants to protect DS and JW knows that DS was the one who put the fingers there. Meanwhile Kang Jin Mook continues to play a psychological game with Jae Yi. He came by her shop and left her mother's hair clip and a note telling where the mother was. JY was shakened. She made her way there and called DS , telling him about it. DS was with JW at that time.

So at the end , JW and DS went to catch KJM . They sent Jung Je and some back up cops to go get Jae Yi. KJM was squatting on the ground of his yard taking out a plastic bag with Min Jeong's jacket & JW walks in on him to arrest him. DS came too.

Preview

This guy acting as KJM is fantastic. I see on Asian Wiki it is his 1st drama

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Looks like catching JM is just the start ...not sure if it is that easy to prove he is guilty. Think he denies that he killed Dong Shik's sister. So who could it be?

Stills & article from Sports  Donga105860697.1.jpg

Meanwhile, the breathtaking psychological warfare of Lee Dong-sik, Han Joo-won, and Kang Jin-muk in the published photos arouses interest. Kang Jin-mook only smiles with an unknown meaning at the accusations  of Lee Dong-sik and Han Ju-won. Their unusual confrontation adds to the tension. In the previously released trailer, Kang Jin-mook's statement, "I didn't do that to  Yoo Yeon. " Lee Dong-sik's anger reaches its peak when Kang Jin-mook, who denies only the crime of killing Dong Sik's  younger sister , Lee Yoo-yeon (played by Moon Ju-yeon).  Although Lee Dong-sik is pushing Kang Jin-muk for the truth , it is expected that the complicated truth will not be released easily.

In the end, Lee Dong-sik and Han Ju-won set out to find the truth in person. Accordingly, the appearance of the two men captured in Busan raises curiosity. Lee Dong-sik and Han Ju-won,  were 'problematic partners' who did not stop provoking and were vigilant towards each other.  What is the truth they are looking for when they come down to Busan? Is it possible to put together all the scattered pieces of truth and reveal the crimes of Kang Jin-mook? High expectations for  the hot cooperation between the two men who are 'like a monster catching a monster'.

In episode 8, which airs today (13th), more exciting activities of Lee Dong-sik and Han Joo-won will  unfold. They need to find the body of the missing victim and go straight ahead to uncover the secret of Kang Jin-muk. The production crew of 'Beyond Evil' said, “The cooperation between two men like monsters reveals an unexpected truth. “There will be an unfinished shock reversal,” he said. “There will be an incident that overturns the game of truth tracking again. What is the secret that Jin-mook Kang has hidden, and please do not miss until the last second to see if the truth of the incident over 20 years will rise above the surface.”

• Like 5

:PsyWhat: wow... we got the perpetrator in ep 7! and in one episode... suddenly everyone else seems to be 'kind' and 'normal' (of course excluding KJM). Glad that finally our two ML now seem to be on the same page yayyyy~ 

BUT

since @abs-oluteM posted the article about 

3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

There will be an unfinished shock reversal,” he said. “There will be an incident that overturns the game of truth tracking again. What is the secret that Jin-mook Kang has hidden, and please do not miss until the last second to see if the truth of the incident over 20 years will rise above the surface.”

NOOOOOOOOOOO~ I feel like I'm getting played at the moment. I feel like I shouldn't be happy with how it ends tonight :psweatduck:

Was there different perpetrator? Was there an accomplice? Will our duo's trust and teamwork be put to test again (please don't.... their doubting each other has gotten to the point that it's quite repetitive and too much...so I hope from now on it's truly they're being supportive of each other). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers