Monster/ Beyond Evil 괴물 [2021]

Just now, SnowBlob said:

Was there different perpetrator? Was there an accomplice?

My guess is that the DS's sister was not killed by KJM but someone else. Maybe KJM was copying the person's MO. I think there will be more trust between the two - DS and JW from now on

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

1 minute ago, abs-oluteM said:

My guess is that the DS's sister was not killed by KJM but someone else. Maybe KJM was copying the person's MO. I think there will be more trust between the two - DS and JW from now on

If that indeed the case...IF...then it won't be good news to the team (incl Jae Yi) because it's very likely that DS' sister killer would be one of them! So conflicted now...looking forward to ep 8..but also not looking forward to it because I think we're gonna go back to that sad cycle of mistrust or betrayal

• Like 6

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

Episode 7 was fast and exciting!

I’m just wondering, how did Jin Mook have enough time to hide/dispose of Min Jung’s body? Where’s the body - still in the house?

It was beginning to be frustrating seeing Ju Won accuse Dong Sik again, with his misunderstood theories. Glad that this should now be resolved and hope they will now be working together.

• Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Episode 7 was so good! I loved every bit of it. So many things unraveled yet so many questions still left unanswered. 

11 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I’m just wondering, how did Jin Mook have enough time to hide/dispose of Min Jung’s body? Where’s the body - still in the house?

Same here! I don't know how he could have possibly had the time to hide her body especially since the timeline they talked about before was pretty tight. Also, the kimchi jars. I guess I understand why Jin Mook was making more kimchi. It was because Dong Sik destroyed them when he was there that night. 

I was not expecting Joo Won to show up at the supermarket like that. I thought that they would be collecting more evidences and Jin Mook would be playing the role of a grieving father for at least another episode. That took me by surprise. 

I know the text messages were sent out by Dong Sik and Jae Yi, but the idea of Min Jung really sending them came up a few times in this episode.

Dad, please let me out.

Dad, it's hurts. Please let me out.

Goodbye, Dad. I'm coming out now. 

I think they can be interpreted in two ways:

1. The person reaching out to their parents/love ones to come find them. 

2. The person pleading to the killer to let them go. 

Not everyone suspected Jin Mook so they viewed the text messages as interpretation one. I'm curious to how Jin Mook really thought about receiving those text messages from the person he killed. He definitely didn't seem shaken up by it.

No subs for episode 8 out yet. :cry:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 3
1 hour ago, Tofu said:

I'm curious to how Jin Mook really thought about receiving those text messages from the person he killed. He definitely didn't seem shaken up by it.

Plus Jin Mook would have known someone knew he killed Min Jung, because the fingers disappeared from his house after he came back from dinner. What did he think then?

Jin Mook’s plan regarding Jae Yi is also strange. He goes to her restaurant and leaves her mother’s hair pin and a note with directions to find her mother’s body. Was he intending to hurt JY since they showed him playing with her knives? But she was smart and said Dong Sik was coming so JM left quickly on hearing that. With the clues she goes to find her mother’s body but JM doesn’t follow her/wait for her there? So if he had no intention of harming her, why leave the clues? Surely that would be detrimental to himself 🤔 Unless he didn’t kill her, saw who did and only collected the objects as souvenir.

I’m a little confused about another part too. Re Ju Won’s illegal immigrant. I thought her phone was found in the fields and that’s how Dong Sik knew that the number she last tried to contact was Ju Won’s. Thought that happened before Min Jung died. But now we see Dong Sik finding the phone in the kimchi jar - did he throw it in the field?

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

@Chocolate I think Jin Mook was starting to crack when he gave the clip to Jae Yi . I was under the impression he was luring her there too but he wasn’t expecting JY to call DS & for anyone to know what was going on . I am guessing he may hv wanted to take MJ’s body out 1st & head to where JY was later . Given that he’s a psychopath , I am not surprised he is daring enough to reveal that all this is his doing . 

Regarding the phone, I believe DS threw it there. It was after MJ went missing . If I remember correctly the tracker dogs smelled a scent . So they were confused why the phone had MJ’s scent or something. I hope I am not confusing this . Lol . I have the plot of 7 different ongoing dramas in my head :shocked:

• Haha 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Episode 8 was another good one. Poor Min Jung, though we suspected, but to be told really that her fingers were chopped off while alive, and now to know that she was buried alive and died of organ/cardio failure, such a horrid way to die.

Realistically, Dong Sik, when he found the fingers, should have reported it. Police would search the house first and they may have found the body while she was still alive. So close yet so far.

The council woman is an imbecile. Always scheming but her plans are full of holes. I am a bit suspicious of Jeong Je and Dong Sik’s relationship - maybe JJ has something to do with his sister - he seems like a genuine ok guy so maybe it was accidental? Which could be the reason his mother, the construction company owner and Ju won’s father have an interest in these murders.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Realistically, Dong Sik, when he found the fingers, should have reported it. Police would search the house first and they may have found the body while she was still alive. So close yet so far.

I agree. And I think this is one reason why he felt even worse. I felt quite emotional for all concerned with the discovery of Min Jeong's body & realising she was buried alive. And for Jae Yi too finding out that her mother's body had been buried there next to the shop all this while. 

Looks like Jin Mook's trigger has been him feeling cheated and abandoned by his wife Hye Mi. From the flashbacks , the impression I am getting is that the rest who died were collateral damage in his hunt for Hye Mi. He cuts off their finger tips when he gets annoyed that they look down at him or when he thinks they are "immoral" in some way. It's his way of passing judgement on them. So that's why it is definitely true that he didn't kill DS's sister since she was painted to be a good girl. Looks like the hunt for her body will be the focus for the 2nd half of the show. 

I think I know now the source of Jung Je's mental stress/ depression . It is his mum. I  get annoyed with her scenes and how she's completely self -serving. Jung Je just wants to protect his friends as far as I can see. 

Despite both still annoying each other in the way they talk , can clearly see that DS and JW have finally come to trust each other. I am just going to ignore the preview where JW accuses DS of using him. JW is more emotional of the two , and still is but I admire the fact that he doesn't give up.  Both JW and DS have used illegal means or ways that go against official protocols to investigate. And even in getting Jin Mook to confess, they all faked some certificate about Yoon Hye Mi being alive. But I think in cases like that , it's really a grey area & it would be more frustrating  if the perpetrator does not get punished . Perhaps the  end justifies the means.

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Episode 8

- How was it that JW was able to deduct that KMJ wasn't KJM's daughter in the interrogation room the first time in the interrogation room? Although that whole scene looked really cool, I was like 'huh, how did he come up with that?' 

- So Kim Min Jung isn't JM's daughter but still the daughter of his wife who left him? 

I'm with everyone. What a terrible way to die for KMJ! And what so upsetting about this is too that the perpetrator is crazy, so he felt and will feel NO remorse at all. I don't agree with the way KMJ's treat her 'dad' though although I do understand that she might be in her rebellious stage currently. However, doesn't mean that she deserved to be murdered at all. 

19 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I am a bit suspicious of Jeong Je and Dong Sik’s relationship - maybe JJ has something to do with his sister - he seems like a genuine ok guy so maybe it was accidental? 

Why I also suspect that JJ might be the one who 'killed' his sister. Just gut feeling though..and it might have something to do with his obsession in drawing a deer because that part has not been explained yet (when and why he started doing that). 

• Like 4

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

Episodes 7 & 8

-Watched both episodes late this week, but really liked both eps even though I watched them both at night and they scared me half to death at 2am in the morning! :lettalKWA:

-Episode 7 really cleared up a lot of the mystery by showing everything in complete time order. Finally we saw what happened with all the characters that night and also how DS came to be the one that put the fingers out. Like everyone here, I do think the timeline was pretty tight...more than hiding the body, I'm more weirded out how he had time to tidy that space so that it didn't have blood...I mean when DS came into the room, all he saw were the fingers on the table, no body or blood. :poliWeird:

-I was so creeped out when JM came to give the hairpin to JY since I thought she would become his next victim....but also who hides a hairpin in meat for like a decade or two?! Gross. I feel like JM came with the intention of leaving the hairpin as a warning either to her or (if he had killed her) whoever found found her body. I feel like a lot of serial killers are narcissists and they can't resist leaving calling cards etc. :idk:

- I was really sad for KMJ btw since her death was a lot slower and painful than what was initially thought. It was so horrifying. And DS and everyone must have felt so guilty. I find it weird that DS didn't call the police on the night he found the fingers, but I guess he's been very caught up on the no body, no murder rule that seems to exist :thinking:

- I have to say I'm liking the twists and cliff hangers for this series. Sometimes series end on very meh cliff hangers...but I feel like every episode in this series has left me wondering how they will spin things in the next episode. It seems that JM did not kill DS's sister...he seems to target prostitutes and those he judges as 'loose women'. It also looks like he brought up DS's sister's body as a bluff to DS saying he could find HM (JM didn't believe HM was still alive and they'd be able to bring her in...so it seems he would not have been able to provide DS's sister's body's location?). And if we go by the ending where he used his own blood to write it on the walls before committing suicide, it feels like the only murder JM doesn't feel comfortable being associated with. :pandathink:

- Hmmm, so it seems like most people in town are still suspects for DS's sister's murder. JJ is at the top of the list for suspects since his whole thing is that he killed a deer and believes he might have killed a woman (perhaps it was an accident and he was so traumatised that he tried hard to replace the memory?) Also he has a dream about a woman. If not him, everyone else is also mildly suspicious in nature....like how is the police chief at their station so sure the murderer is not DS? Also just wondering just how involved side characters like JJ's mum, the developer and JW's dad are with this case - are they just trying to climb the ladder/ push for developments...or do they know more? JJ's mum is so annoying and I feel like she could murder someone who got in her (or her son's) way :psweatduck:

• Like 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

On 3/17/2021 at 9:52 PM, JenL said:

Also just wondering just how involved side characters like JJ's mum, the developer and JW's dad are with this case - are they just trying to climb the ladder/ push for developments..

From what I understand the 3 have known each other from 20years ago and JW's dad should be from this town / city and may been involved in the handling of DS's sister's case. 

-----------

New stills 

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20210318/105936595/1

105936585.1.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Q: Is there romance between Joo Won & Jae Yi?

A: We hope so 🥰

The last hint is the most important one 😂

ahahaha... I was waiting for this as the character chart has a positive line between the two :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm inclined to think that Jeong Ja might have something to do with the disappearance of Dong Sik's sister too. I remembered he made that comment about hearing the voice of a woman. 

I really appreciate the acting from Yeo Jin Goo and Shin Ha Kyun. I think that's a bit part of the reason why I watch Beyond Evil before the other psychological thrillers dramas I'm watching. I love the close up shots of them because you can capture the slightest change in their facial expression especially for Shin Ha Kyun. 

e8bae428a854dc644c3ee0379334e123c4a05398

Gif Credit

This interaction. Haha! Joo Won is so full of confidence. :laugh:

27b35569aeb8921d87209daa9a6173f0a6cad28c

bcc87b934aa8fa6a906ff62725be63293e7fb99e

Gifs Credit

Can't wait to see the episode for today! :smile:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Star Struck 1

eps 9 recaps & thoughts

They did a 3-month time jump. Jung Je got promoted and became a Senior Inspector. His mum moved him to some cushy looking department. Then Joo Won , knowing that the father wanted him to become the hero for this entire operation , told Internal Affairs that he should be punished for conducting an unapproved sting operation that lead to that lady' s death . Basically , JW wanted to annoy his father. He was on leave for 3 months and he decided to be reinstated in Mayang - this further angered the father who had wanted to go back to Seoul.

It seems nothing much has changed for DS - he still went to work and carried out his duties. However at night , he would start digging the floors of Jin Mook's house. JM had left the place to DS . DS was still trying to find his sister's body. What was quite sickening was how he discovered videos that Jin Mook had recorded showing him being all nice to DS's mum. 

Anyway on the day when DS had apprehended all those ahjummas who were secretly gambling at Jae Yi's place, JY had  been gone for 3 months. ( Think she may have gone to Busan) .We find out too that on the day of Jin Mook's suicide , JY had wanted to find a way to go to his cell and kill him herself. But she couldn't get in as she saw someone approaching the backdoor. She was caught on camera , and someone threatened her with it . So she was forced to go to the station where Ji Hwa works to ''confess".

Later Ji Hwa met the entire gang for dinner at JY's place , and I feel sorry for her because it hasn't been easy for her being the cop in charge of the case - especially when your friends take turns being suspects. Anyway Jae Yi isn't the one to supply the fishing rod that JM killed himself with. JH kept asking DS and Jung Je if they both had been aware of what has been going on .She was exasparated that both her best friends kept investigating and finding out things on their own without letting her know. Anyway later on , Jung Je , DS and Ji Hwa went to Jin Mook's placed talked things out and also realised that there was a piece of land that JJ's mum had owned which was sold off very quickly when DS's sister went missing. So they figured something may be there. It was formerly a deer farm. ( maybe this could be why Jung Je always draws deers) 

Okay this place in spite of its calm peaceful small town vibe, is filled with secrets or dead bodies to be exact. Were they all Jin Mook's doing? Or there's another killer on the loose? The latest batch of bodies were found by DS and the other cops when they started digging. But none were the sister's . 

Later on DS went back to Jin Mook's again and saw JW there. The conversation between the two makes it seem like JW still thinks that DS could be his sister's killer and perhaps the one that killed the other new bodies too. But I am wondering now if JW is purposely doing this to annoy DS. 

Anyway DS was still trying to figure out where his sister could be. He visited his mum at the nursing home , and as she had dementia etc ,she thinks DS is Jin Mook . She uttered something about asking JM not to do any more construction for the boiler room. Then it struck DS that the sister's body may have been put in cement there since JM's final words to him was that he had returned the sister to him. True enough, DS found her body as he started hacking the wall of his boiler room. Gosh so sad cause he realised she had been there all this while. 

Then as DS was about  to call the cops, a call comes in. Chief Nam had been arrested for abetting in Jin Mook's suicide. So prior to this, Chief Nam had gone to see JaeYi , and it was revealed that the reason why JY could not enter the holding cell where Jin Mook was, was because she had seen Nam. She then asked Nam if he had "killed" ...he smiled in a scary way . But before he said anything, some detectives came to arrest him.

And oh my , the bigger twist was that Joo Won had planted evidence in Chief Nam's safe - he put a copy of Jin Mook's wife's death cert and some fishing rod there. JM had actually killed himself because he was furious the wife had died ( someone had snuck a copy of the death cert & some fishing rod to him).

Okay , so now I am wondering if JW knowing that Chief Nam was responsible for aiding in JM's suicide  purposely planted the evidence. JW knows that without doing something like this Nam may go scot free. Interesting that both he & DS are not exactly going by the book here to catch those responsible. So why would Nam want JM to die? Does JM know something that Nam doesn't want him to reveal? 

New stills

105992711.1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

:pandasadspoon:@abs-oluteM I don't want Nam Sang Bae (or the actor) to be a villain. I hope Han Joo Won is barking the wrong tree but I also get why he tried to start something because the mysteries are still unsolved. I was surprised of Joo Won's change (a bit more bad boyish & less uptight now). Maybe @SilverMoonTea will love it more since she loved bad boy Jasper.

Joo Won even threw away his principals or in that 3 months something he found goes against his beliefs so he is now the hell with it. And he decided sometimes you gotta get dirty to get to the bottom of things. It seems like within this 3 months, Joo Won did some investigation (they just HAD to do this behind the scene) and he suspects his dad too...?

The thing I'm confused is whether Jin Mook kill Yoo Yeon. If he did not, why would he tell Dong Shik he has returned her to him already. Or Yoo Yeon was killed by someone and Jin Mook was the accomplice, the underling helping him get rid of corpses? And in the process, Jin Mook also became a killer.

I was kind of glad that Jin Mook never harmed Dong Shik's mum. She was basically left alone with him with Dong Shik away.

There's still that Lee Chang Jin, Jeong Jae's mom and Joo Won's Dad. What are they hiding? They seem to be hiding some secrets too. Side note: I honestly cannot comprehend how Lee Chang Jin is Oh Ji Hwa's ex husband! Like HOW? WHAT does she see in him? He's so sleazy and I can't imagine him not being sleazy when they were together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
23 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

oo Won even threw away his principals or in that 3 months something he found goes against his beliefs so he is now the hell with it. And he decided sometimes you gotta get dirty to get to the bottom of things. It seems like within this 3 months, Joo Won did some investigation (they just HAD to do this behind the scene) and he suspects his dad too...?

Exactly the vibes I am getting. It was like he cannot be bothered with what anyone thinks ( not that he really did before ) and he is somewhat resorting to the same tactics as DS to uncover the truth. DS put MJ's fingers to lure Jin Mook out. Joo Won seems to be doing the same here.

I too am confused if Jin Mook was the one who killed the sister. He said he didn't but then he was the one who cemented the body there. 

• Like 4

I still think Joo Woon is too engrossed with the case a bit unextraordinary? Seems its not only about his guilt with the intel gone wrong case? I think he might have some deeper connection to the case? 

Ahahaha @mademoiselleI love the good boy HJW, but he's king of taking leave :laugh: I was ROFL everytime he wants to take leave, I wish I'm that brave ... :lenny:

Btw why DongShik give the sister ring? Are they really biological siblings? Real life brother don't think will give ring? Perhaps can, but idk I just felt a bit weird. 

Those whole village is suspicious, perhaps there is big conspiracy there? I also still can't connect the town council woman story and the police's ex husband. 

• Like 5

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

44 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Oh yes, probably not from him. 

I think he gave her ....he says it is from your hyung who was just a minute older or something. They are twins. Think they used the ring because they want to make it to show that the corpse is her.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Geez... at this rate, everyone in Manyang is responsible for at least a murder!

So Yoo Yeon was not strangle but possibly ran down multiple times by car based on the number of fractured bones in her remains! Who could it be? We were shown she seems to have a fight with Jeong Jae so was it him out of rage because she wouldn't listen to him? And because Jin Mook was Jeong Jae's mother's "servant", he helped her hid Yoo Yeon's body and eventually he moved her to the basement of her house.

As for Joo Won, I can only shake my head. This is the second time he has indirectly caused death to a person*. How damage will he become for carrying this guilt for the rest of his life?

*Because if he hadn't planted the fake evidence in Nam Sang Bae's safe then he wouldn't be locked up and possibly led to this. I fear Joo Won's dad is that person responsible of his death. This would be the 3rd blow to Joo Won.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2