10 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM Your wish has come true.

Baeksang nominations:

BE - Best Drama

Shin Ha Kyun - Best Actor (the rest are SJK, Um Ki Jun, KSH, LJK

Shin Na Yeon - Best Director

Kim Soo Jin - Best Script

Choi Dae Hun - Supporting actor

One more is the actress playing JaeYi. Best New Actress nomination. I need to memorize her real name!

• Clapping Hands 3
  • Party! 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I thought this article was a nice read. I really like Yeo Jin Goo and has watched a lot of his drama projects but there were a lot of dramas that I questioned because they didn't play to his strength as an actor. I'm glad that he was able to reinvent himself and hope to see more of him soon! 

Yeo Jin Goo Talks About Working With Shin Ha Kyun, Why He Chose To Star In “Beyond Evil,” And More

by C. Hong

Yeo Jin Goo recently participated in an interview with Sports Chosun about his drama “Beyond Evil.”

About his chemistry with his co-star, Shin Ha Kyun, he said, “In real life, he jokes around a lot and makes people laugh. He’s very cute. It’s not so much that he creates a bright atmosphere through his appearance, but if you just spend time with him, you can see both his cute and his cool sides. Because of his sense of humor, I had a lot of fun filming, and it was easy to talk with him about the drama.”

He went on, “He also gave me a lot of help in setting the tone for Han Joo Won [Yeo Jin Goo’s character in ‘Beyond Evil’]. There was never a second when he wasn’t Lee Dong Shik [Shin Ha Kyun’s character]. That helped get me immersed into my role as well. I’ve always wanted to work with him and I’m really happy I got the chance. I think it was also fun because our characters were in conflict in the drama, but each played a key role for the other. Next time I’d like to do a fun project with him where we can laugh while we film.”

Yeo Jin Goo also talked about his reasons for choosing such a dark project like “Beyond Evil.” He said, “Before ‘The Crowned Clown,’ I felt like I had gotten trapped in certain mannerisms. Before then, I’d gotten a lot of praise and interest, but I could feel that my acting was not the same as it was before. I wanted to keep getting praised, and I wanted to improve, but I didn’t know how I should act anymore.”

He continued, “When I watched myself act, I could no longer tell if it was good or not. It felt like I was boxing myself in and acting was getting more and more difficult. During ‘The Crowned Clown,’ the director and staff helped me a lot. In the past, even if I got a lot of help, I couldn’t make the role my own, but that time I was able to do it.

“In the past, I got a lot of help and advice from my seniors, but for that drama, I came in with my own questions and found my own answers while filming. I realized that I needed to have conviction. I tried that for the first time with ‘The Crowned Clown’ and developed it further with ‘Hotel Del Luna.’ And the thing that confirmed me in that conviction was ‘Beyond Evil.'”

Asked what he most wanted to do now that filming was over, the actor said, “I really want to travel. Of course, I’m reviewing future projects, and growing herbs at home, and thinking about learning piano and guitar again.”

Because of the filming schedule for “Beyond Evil,” he was not able to participate in the second season of “House on Wheels” and was replaced by Im Siwan. “I had a lot of regrets,” he said. “There was overlap with the drama, so I couldn’t go. It would have taken place right when ‘Beyond Evil’ was heading into its finale. I felt apologetic, but thankfully [Kim Hee Won and Sung Dong Il] understood.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1463860wpp/yeo-jin-goo-talks-about-working-with-shin-ha-kyun-why-he-chose-to-star-in-beyond-evil-and-more

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I don’t think there was ever any doubt in my mind, that the resolution would be a satisfying one considering the steady build-up towards the role of the culprits. As I’ve said more than once, the whodunit side of things was never going to be earth-shattering— the axis of evil was highlighted from the start as contender. It was never about who but why. At the heart of the drama was an examination of the human condition "tainted" by crime — an overabundance of guilt, shame and relationship dysfunction. The search for truth regarding the disappearance of Lee Yu-yeon has been a long arduous journey and the script does a stellar job to my mind of creating this web of connections behind her disappearance and remains.  Han Gi-hwan, Do Hae-won, and Lee Chang-jin each represent a manifestation of evil and as a group present a continuing threat to the development of Manyang. Contrary to the trio's belief that they are agents of progress, as a result of the cover-up the people of Manyang are frozen in time, trapped in the past unable to move on, the social fabric in tatters. The revelation that the serial killing could have been put to a halt much sooner if Do Hae-won had come clean about Lee Yu-yeon's accident was chilling. The price of protecting her son to protect her ambition was the lives of the women who died at the hands of Jin-mook and their remains found their way to the deer farm. Poor Jeong-jae as the realisation dawns on him.

But he shouldn't really blame himself too much. Do Hae-won is the classic devouring mother who appears to love but it's about her ultimately. Did she really do everything for his sake? Afterall she shut him up in a mental facility to prevent him from talking. By her actions she's put a much bigger burden on her sensitive son than she would have if she'd been forthcoming all those years ago.

In a tragic enough way the real victim, Lee Yu-yeon became more or less an inconvenient footnote to the conspirators in the sordid affair of covering-up her death. Han Gi-hwan, Lee Chang-jin and Do Have-won all had their motives for ensuring that her death remained a mystery although ironically it also meant that the Munju development was stalled for 2 decades. She was a sacrificial lamb on the altar of ambition and if hadn't been the persistence of others, she may have remained a footnote.

Right to the end, Han Gi-hwan saw her as a minor blight in his otherwise perfect record. The poor girl’s only offence was that she was at the wrong place at the wrong time. The one time when he drank and drove to get away from people he despised. Her life was relegated to a mystery, a festering sore for a community and a blight on her brother's life through no fault of her own.

Educating Ju-won was in the end all about Freeing Ju-won. It was a battle for his conscience right from the moment he stepped onto Manyang. He became the son of two fathers wrestling for supremacy over his consciousness. Han Gi-hwan, the tyrannical father who believed he had every right over his son and Lee Dong-sik, the trickster who wanted to teach this young upstart from the city a lesson or two by messing with his mind. As all good youngsters do at some point in their lives, they rebel against their parents and challenge authority. In the end, with one thing or another Ju-won finds his own way out of his dilemma, making peace with his own conscience. He and us have been privy to the complexity of humans. The good, bad labels don't sit too easily. This show is about him "growing up" and learning about the brutal nature of family from deeply flawed men and women that he would least expect to. 

I’ve been following Shin Ha-kyun to some degree since Brain which is where I first discovered him. He has always excelled in playing complex characters. It's pleasing that he found a good script in Beyond Evil after the disappointing Less Than Evil. I always expected him to be at the top of his game and indeed he didn’t disappoint. In fact I am of the view that this is his best television work fo far. I’m happy to hear that he’s a contender for the Best Actor Baeksang although very torn about being in competition with Lee Joong-gi for it. Both are fine actors who did superb things in demanding roles. Glad I don’t have to be the one to make the call. ;)

From beginning to end my sympathies were entirely with Dong-sik because of SHK. He's not a likeable character on some level and he toys with the earnest Ju-won and questions his motives even when the younger man is trying hard. But he doesn't have much trust to begin with in the young upstart who is the son of the top dogs in policing. Does the young fellow really want to solve a crime or is he just trying to make a name for himself? Does he just want to speed things up? What's his secret? Why is he so desperate to wrap the serial murders up? Well, I never could blame DS for being suspicious because the young upstart was cagey and impetuous, and had got hold of the wrong end of the stick. But then one couldn't entirely blame JW either for being suspicious of DS because the older guy was happy to obfuscate matters and dodge questions. It was fascinating but frustrating dynamic because neither man made things easier for themselves. The early adversarial banter had their moments but frustrating though they were, some of that helped JW to see policing less as procedure but more as doing right by victims and survivors.

I'm glad the show has got the recognition that it deserves in the Baeksang nominations. As someone who watched far too many dramas last year, I can say that Beyond Evil has a memorable place in my heart. It's the sort of drama that Koreans do well when they take the time and yet it reminds me of my favourite British crime shows. The sort of brooding, bleak landscape populated by flawed humans carrying all kinds of secrets. 

• Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

• 1 month later...

So very happy for this drama which was well-loved here on our community and a personal favourite . At the Baeksang 2021 it won:

Best Drama :Party01:

Best Screenplay - Writer -: Kim Su Jin

https://tenasia.hankyung.com/tv/article/2021051317984

BF.26344043.1.jpg

Best Actor for Shin Ha Kyun 

http://www.xportsnews.com/?ac=article_view&entry_id=1424128

1620966051610279.jpg

Choi Dae Hoon who played Jung Je ( this guy was a revelation to me) and and Choi Sung Eun who played Jae Yi were nominated for Best Supporting Actors ( male & female respectively). The drama was also nominated for the Technical Award

• Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Just to add that the nominees from BE who didn't win were mostly finalists!

Finalists and Votes for Baeksang

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0003118161

Daesang

Yoo Jae Seok vs Beyond Evil

6 to 1

Directing (Drama)

FOE vs Beyond Evil

4 to 3

Best Actor (Drama)

Shin Ha Kyun vs Lee Joon Ki vs Kim Soo Hyun

5 to 1 to 1

Best Supporting Actor (Drama)

Oh Jung Se (IONTBO) vs Choi Dae Hoon (BE) vs Lee Hee Joon (Mouse)

4 to 2 to 1

Best New Actress (Drama)

Park Joo Hyun vs Choi Sung Eun (BE)

4 to 3

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

7 episodes in and what a gripping tale so far with twists and turns, underpinned by so much pain just below the surface. Secrets abound even among the close friends, and yet there is so much history that is shared among them - friendship, loyalty, trust - that is difficult to shake even in the most damning of circumstances. The same can be said for the Manyang police substation, and one of the most awesome scenes that has me fist-pumping and chortling away is when they ganged up against the nosy reporter on HJW's behalf, because he is one of them

SHK delivers such a brilliant portrayal of LDS... keeping him mysterious and ambiguous, with flashes of pain and devastation that he manages to hide most of the time. Even before we know his backstory, he manages to elicit sympathy despite the sometimes bizarre  and damning actions, allowing us a glimpse into the hell he has lived through the past 20 years, the grief behind the crooked, cavalier grin. Is it to SHK's credit that even in the early episodes, with very little information given and we are shown LDS placing KMJ's fingers outside her father's store, LDS was never a real suspect in my eyes? I don't know, except that I cannot explain why I felt that way. By the same token, KJM was always a potential suspect in the back of my mind even before anything concrete was revealed, him being one of them who we see in the church in the beginning where LYY was playing the church organ. Nothing he did felt out of place then, so I can't explain why I suspect him, but I did, and was proven right.

HJW starts off as being such an uptight, unlikeable character and it took me quite some time before I finally thawed a little towards him. I think I have not felt so much kneejerk hostility towards any character in a while, not even from the all-round awful characters of Reflection of You, and I was literally egging (pun not intended... I think!) Jae-I on when she started pelting him with eggs, cheering when she slammed the last few on his back, even offering to sponsor more cartons of eggs if she ran out :laugh: His almost fanatical conviction of LDS' guilt was frustrating to watch as he latched on to every suspicious detail and ran with it with no regard to the consequences, and it did not help when we find out that it stemmed from his own guilt for the death of LGH. As such, there is so much to celebrate in the involuntary chipping away of his prejudices, whether he realises it or not - joining in the brawl with LDS against Chairman Lee's goons, and that last awesome scene when he chooses to believe LDS and catch KJM in the act.

The writing is exceptional so far, very tightly paced, alternating between reveals and misdirections, bolstered by strong strong performances across the board. Red herrings are aplenty, keeping me guessing, trying to discern what is real and what isn't. The last 15mins of Ep7 kept me at the edge of my seat, barely able to watch, terrified for and upset at Jae-I when she chooses to go to the site KJM directed alone, certain that it couldn't end well. To go through that and watch that final scene is the highlight of the drama for me thus far - our two partners working together to catch KJM red-handed, while ensuring that Jae-I is safe with the arrival of PJJ and the rest of the police squad. Brilliant. 

Still, I can hardly believe this is it. KJM's capture not even halfway through the drama feels premature, and I fear that proving his guilt cannot be that easy. Are there other secrets among the group of friends that are waiting to be uncovered? Either way, can't wait to find out. Thank you so much @Chocolate and @ktcjdrama for encouraging me to give this drama a go!

Edited by liddi
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

Wow @liddi just 1 day and you’ve done 7 episodes! Glad you like it so far. It’s good all the way till the end. You won’t be disappointed with this one.

I too had no doubt that LDS was innocent. The actor who played KJM was quite good right - he is soft spoken and yet so eerie at the same time. If I am not wrong, this was his first drama role.

Well you watch. I won’t spoil it for you. I remember being very impressed with how tight the plot and pacing was, not much filler scenes. And fantastic acting all around.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Ep8 wrung my tears dry in so many different ways. SHK shattered my heart as he brought us through LDS' devastation, his dawning comprehension that KMJ was still alive when he was at the house, just below his feet as he searched high and low for her. Then the scene at the crematorium, when one by one, all broke down at the cruel fate that left a young girl they've watched grow up and cared for, lying there at the hands of the person who should have been her safe harbour and protector. The grief of the bereaved families, Jae-I in particular, when the remains of their loved ones are finally unearthed, is difficult to watch - the crushing realisation that her mother had been nearby all along, and she never once knew. And LDS staring at the excavated ground at his home in mute despair, no closure in sight, even now, is heartbreaking. 

In the midst of so much outrage and pain, it is so satisfying to see the camaraderie between the two mismatched partners, the evolving relationship from antagonism to grudging understanding and well-oiled teamwork, as they work together beautifully like a tag team to wear the crafty KJM down. The moment HJW rushes to LDS upon knowing that none of the recovered remains belonged to his sister, offering to go beat KJM together and get him to cough up her location is a turning point in their relationship. Despite his repeated declarations about being eager to arrest LDS, it is now clear that he has come to care for the older man, and is in one of those clingy relationships that he so fervently despises, which is as sweet as it is amusing, given their history. Please don't shatter it in the next half of the drama.

I originally thought that KJM's fetish with fingers appears linked to painted or decorated nails - BJS and LYY's painted nails, LGH and KMJ's decorated ones - all of which he associated with wanton behaviour. Yet if I understood correctly, it originated with YHM's pointed mockery of him, and his killing urges triggered by BJS' relentless insults with the same accusatory actions. Hence his cutting off their fingers is so that they could no longer point their fingers at him and mock him. If so, why did he kill Jae-I's mother, who was not seen doing anything except wear the hair-clip given by her husband on the 49th day of his death? Or did he go on to associate any woman who dolled themselves up as acting in a wanton manner? 

Still, KJM is adamant that he returned LYY, and that he didn't kill her. If so, who did and left her fingers at their home? How would that person know KJM's MO of the cutting of fingers, when BJS and LYY were the first cases? Suspicion now falls on PJJ once more, who asserts that he killed a deer, hears women's voices and had a mental breakdown and was institutionalised 20 years ago. Could it really be so obvious? Or was KJM toying with them to the last to fracture the trust between the friends, and by killing himself, ensures that there will be no light at the end of the tunnel? We shall see.

Edited by liddi
  • Clapping Hands 3

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros