One Ordinary Day 어느 날 [2021]

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

7 Potential Murder Suspects In “One Ordinary Day”

Dec 17, 2021 by C. Hong

Who are the suspects in the “Chrysanthemum Murder” case?

Coupang Play’s new drama “One Ordinary Day” stars Kim Soo Hyun as an ordinary college student named Kim Hyun Soo who becomes a murder suspect overnight and Cha Seung Won as third-rate lawyer Shin Joong Han who reaches out to help him while never asking him the truth of what happened that night.

The production staff of “One Ordinary Day” recently shared some key points about the seven suspects in the case:

First witness Yoo Seung Hoon

Spoiler

lee-soo-kwang-one-ordinary-day.jpg

According to the drama’s production staff, the first suspect is Yoo Seung Hoon (Lee Soo Kwang), the first witness who claims he saw Kim Hyun Soo enter Hong Guk Hwa (Hwang Se On)’s house. Kim Hyun Soo hit Yoo Seung Hoon’s car outside of Hong Guk Hwa’s house, and even though it was Kim Hyun Soo’s fault, Yoo Seung Hoon acted suspicious by telling him to just leave and wanting to resolve the situation as fast as possible. In addition, he was loitering around Hong Guk Hwa’s house the next night at dawn and picked out Kim Hyun Soo right away in front of Park Sang Bum (Kim Hong Pa).

Informant Ha Noh Suk

Spoiler

park-bong-seo-one-ordinary-day.jpeg

Another suspect is Ha Noh Suk (Park Bong Seo), the informant who alerted the police about a housebreaking incident. Kim Hyun Soo was in the police car after failing a breathalyzer test, but after Ha Noh Suk’s call, he was caught up again in the incident around Hong Guk Hwa’s house and taken to the police station. The police misunderstood Ha Noh Suk’s call at first, but Ha Noh Suk clearly stated that the man who had come out of Hong Guk Hwa’s house had driven off in his own taxi, placing suspicion squarely on Kim Hyun Soo.

Stepfather Jo Kang Pil

Spoiler

shin-woo-cheol-one-ordinary-day.jpeg

A strange man with an unreadable face, Jo Kang Pil (Shin Woo Cheol), who was the victim Hong Guk Hwa’s stepfather, is also a strong suspect in the case. Even when Hong Guk Hwa’s body was being cremated, Jo Kang Pil showed no reaction in his facial expression, suggesting that they hadn’t been that close. However, he continues to attend Kim Hyun Soo’s trial and shows interest in how the case is progressing.

Roommate Yoon Ho Jung

Spoiler

na-eun-saem-one-ordinary-day.jpeg

Hong Guk Hwa’s roommate, Yoon Ho Jung (Na Eun Saem), drew attention to herself by crying excessively at Hong Guk Hwa’s cremation. However, she doesn’t have an alibi, which puts her on the list of suspects. She secretly watched the on-site inspection with an anxious attitude. Lawyer Shin Joong Han discovered that just before the murder, Yoon Ho Jung had a huge fight with Hong Guk Hwa and abruptly cut off contact with her, leaving all her stuff behind.

Roommate’s ex-boyfriend Uhm Ki Jong

Spoiler

lee-pung-woon-one-ordinary-day.jpeg

Yoon Ho Jung’s ex-boyfriend, Uhm Ki Jong (Lee Pung Woon), also distributed medicine to Hong Guk Hwa, and was the last person to be in contact with her before she died. However, the reason for the call was not revealed, making viewers curious about the contents of this conversation. He gets angry and is spotted making a suspicious call to Yoon Ho Jung when Shin Joong Han says that someone had reported Uhm Ki Jong for distributing drugs.

Delivery man Lee Chul Ho

Spoiler

hwang-sang-kyung-one-ordinary-day.jpeg

Lee Chul Ho (Hwang Sang Kyung) is a delivery man who was caught on CCTV while tracing Kim Hyun Soo’s steps that night. In the CCTV footage, Lee Chul Ho stares intensely at Hong Guk Hwa at the gas station while she’s smoking a cigarette. When Shin Joong Han wants him to testify as a witness, he gets dangerous and flies off the handle.

Kim Hyun Soo

Spoiler

kim-soo-hyun-one-ordinary-day1.jpeg

From the moment he was arrested, Kim Hyun Soo insisted that he was innocent, and even showed tears at the injustice of his arrest. During the on-site inspection, Kim Hyun Soo has a vivid vision of himself with a knife, although it is unclear whether it’s just his imagination or a memory, and passes out afterward. At first, he insisted that he had not killed Hong Guk Hwa, but he suddenly changes his answer to “I don’t know.”

The production staff stated, “We are grateful that viewers have been sharing their suspicions and guesses while watching ‘One Ordinary Day.’ Please tune in to the remaining two episodes to see if the person you suspect turns out to be the killer, or whether it’s someone else. It’s more fun to watch if you do the detective work along with the cast in the drama.”

Who do you think is the killer?

“One Ordinary Day” airs at midnight on Saturdays and Sundays.

Source

• Like 3

Last episode

- Ok. I was wrong. 😂 Hyun Soo is innocent.

- What the heck were the police doing? How can they confiscate such crucial photos and yet both Detective Park and the Prosecutor didn’t know about it???

- Glad that both police and prosecutor acknowledged the new evidence and did the right thing. But they did not give any credit to Lawyer Shin! 😤

- Do Ji Tae - how can he die like that? 😭 What was he trying to tell Hyun Soo when he was dying - “You….”

- And how does Hyun Soo keep his single room cell and no one attacked him after JT’s death?

- I don’t understand the ending - did Hyun Soo jump?

- Great cameo by the Red Sky girl - now, her eyes look a bit psychotic 😂

FG5_53UVIAIr4K-?format=jpg&name=large

All in all, this drama has been a great watch. However, there are a lot of loopholes and I wonder if the original UK version was the same or it’s a writer issue here. As expected, the ending was an anti-climax for me, except for the surprise killing of Do Ji Tae - for a moment, I thought Hyun Soo was the one who sliced JT’s neck 💀

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3

Finale episode

Feels like I've watched 8 episodes of a movie in terms of cinematography. Overall a good, solid drama with solid performances from an ensemble cast. Do Ji Tae is probably the most compelling character (yet random) in this drama as he has no link whatsoever to the case. Nonetheless he played a crucial part in Hyun Soo's growth but for better or for worse, we will never know.

So Hyun Soo was indeed innocent, which I already knew from peeking the original, but reserved it to myself since there's a possibility that the adaptation could pull a twist on us. But they had stuck to the original for this part. Shin Doong Han seems to have recovered from his dermatitis too, a much better ending than the original's.

6 hours ago, Chocolate said:

What the heck were the police doing? How can they confiscate such crucial photos and yet both Detective Park and the Prosecutor didn’t know about it???

Things happened a bit too quick in passing but I believe it was a different case. He was booked for stalking and evidences were confisticated. Chief Park was so deadpan stubborn to pin Hyun Soo that he never bothered to investigate anyone else so this evidence was completely overlooked.

6 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Glad that both police and prosecutor acknowledged the new evidence and did the right thing. But they did not give any credit to Lawyer Shin! 😤

I don't see them as doing the right thing per se. Shin Doong Han gave them the chance to fix this without dragging them down. They took it because at least in this way, they could cover up their mistakes and still continue to look glory on the outside rather than having Shin Doong Han share this new information to the media and be scrutinised for doing a sh*t job by the whole nation. Shin Doong Han can't openly take credit because he obtained the evidence illegally.

7 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I don’t understand the ending - did Hyun Soo jump?

I don't think so. He's been through so much that everything seems rather unfamiliar to him — the interactions with his family and him looking through his room. The photo of him with his friends, too, look unfamiliar and also highlighted that his friends never visited him. I think what he went through changed his world view so he's looking at the world and probably re-thinking his life. He may be free now but his life has been drastically altered, and this will never be the same again.

• Insightful 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

This scene reminds me of those cases, where an innocent person goes to jail, but becomes a criminal after he gets out.

A prequel of Do Ji Tae’s life would be interesting - just a few episodes. To see how he was caught and how he accumulated that power in prison. There was so little background on him that I don’t even know how long was his prison term - was it mentioned? Kim Soo Hyun can cameo so that we can find out why DJT decided to help him.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 12/17/2021 at 10:05 PM, Chocolate said:

@SnowBlob Do you think Hyun Soo is innocent or guilty?

:lmao2: too late..I already knew the answer :laugh: It would be a great twist if in the end it turned out that Hyun Soo was the murderer .. but I'm glad he's innocent. 

This show is a bit too 'unsettling' for me. I actually had to look away during some scenes. And it's even more disturbing because Hyun Soo was just like us..ordinary person who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Like I could feel and understand the fear he had when he first entered the prison and when he had to go through in the prison. It just feels too real. Just glad that we're not served with him being raped or anything in the prison (which probably irl, that would happen?). 

@Chocolate I dislike how they let us think for ourselves whether Hyun Soo jumps or not :mad: After what he went through, it wouldn't surprise me if he indeed jumps and kills himself. 

Sad that Do Ji Tae was killed in the end. That character is really interesting - he's not bad nor good. He seems to genuinely care for Hyun Soo but at the same time he got him to snort drugs and develop smoking habit (on top of dislocating his shoulder). But again I can understand why he's what he's ... he's also wrongly accused and had to survive living in prison etc. 

What's gonna happen to bone breaker now? Poor him now that Do Ji Tae is gone .. he truly has no other allies in there (since he used to hang out only with DJT). 

Well, all in all this drama is 'ok' for me ... I think it's a bit too heavy because how real it feels .. Also, I expected to watch a 'traditional' crime drama but turns out this is not really that type of drama..it's more like a drama which focuses on the person's journey going to through justice system. 

Now I can cross this off my watch list hahahahahaha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

6 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

Also, I expected to watch a 'traditional' crime drama but turns out this is not really that type of drama..it's more like a drama which focuses on the person's journey going to through justice system.

I too had the misconception that it was a legal thriller but it is not. It's about the actions of the police, the courts and the prison system. No wonder the discovery and revealing of clues/solving of the mystery was so average.

My Dramalist - "A drama that explores the criminal justice system..."

Google - "Dramatic exploration of the challenges and politics of the criminal justice system, seen through the eyes of the accused."

While searching more about Criminal Justice UK, I saw that there was a Season 2 about a woman who stabbed her husband and her journey through the system.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
5 hours ago, Chocolate said:

No wonder the discovery and revealing of clues/solving of the mystery was so average.

Yes yes yes~ I didn't know how to word it but you did it perfectly. 

5 hours ago, Chocolate said:

While searching more about Criminal Justice UK, I saw that there was a Season 2 about a woman who stabbed her husband and her journey through the system.

I reckon that's what the kdrama writer is trying to do with that ending... Most likely there will be season 2 as well and from the look of it, that woman with blood on her clothes will be the one who stabbed her husband. 

• Like 4

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

On 12/19/2021 at 9:03 AM, mademoiselle said:

He may be free now but his life has been drastically altered, and this will never be the same again.

KSH do a very good job here to reflect the changes and the lost of innocence after the tough prison life. In my opinion he seems to be already accepted the fate to be prisoned for life. He doesn't seems that estatic or glad when Lawyer Shin telling the good news and even after reunited back with his family. 

The prosecutor and police at least still working to catch the real perpetrator, eventhough they painted themself like the real hero here. They don't seem to apologize to HS either or giving compensation benefit for the injustice he suffered.

Perhaps like @Chocolateshared, it's just 67 days and they deemed it was not longer enough for compensation. From real case in Korea, the police & prosecutor who contributed to wrong conviction need to pay 20% of total payment that justified by court as compensation. 100k/year spent in prison, seems kind of higher than US rate which is of 50k/year. 

There is a lot of points contributed to HS's wrong conviction : official misconduct, the need from police/prosecutor to arrest someone, HS position in society as lower class citizen, and lastly his own disposition which is uncredible. Thanks to Lawyer Shin endless probing, only HS's innocent can be proven. The young girl lawyer also doing a pretty decent job and she also trully care for HS. They already doing a good job to casts doubt in jury in trial, but without arrest of real suspect, his innocence will always be muddy.  

Overall it's a well made drama, thanks to @ktcjdrama, since she said it's a good drama I trust her judgement and try it. Not super fond of prison drama, but I enjoyed the court trial portion a lot. 

• Clapping Hands 3

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@SilverMoonTea That's a good post.

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

KSH do a very good job here to reflect the changes and the lost of innocence after the tough prison life. In my opinion he seems to be already accepted the fate to be prisoned for life. He doesn't seems that estatic or glad when Lawyer Shin telling the good news and even after reunited back with his family. 

The prosecutor and police at least still working to catch the real perpetrator, eventhough they painted themself like the real hero here. They don't seem to apologize to HS either or giving compensation benefit for the injustice he suffered.

Perhaps like @Chocolateshared, it's just 67 days and they deemed it was not longer enough for compensation. From real case in Korea, the police & prosecutor who contributed to wrong conviction need to pay 20% of total payment that justified by court as compensation. 100k/year spent in prison, seems kind of higher than US rate which is of 50k/year. 

Hyun Soo is a bit contradictory to me. On one hand, he is weak and fragile in terms of defending his own innocence and like you say, already accepted fate (after only about 1-2 months???) - he really did not help himself very much in the whole scheme of things. Yet, he was strong enough to not rat out Ji Tae when that "Vincenzo Psuedo-Italian Chef" officer came to the prison.

IMO, if it was only 67 days from arrest to release, I think he was very lucky and that's a super quick Korean justice system. I view it as a price to pay for being reckless that night over a pretty face.

That's an interesting finding about prison compensation. The amount is higher than a lot of people's salary. If someone could get themselves wrongly arrested and ensure that their innocence would be proven, they could be millionaires in 10 years!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Chocolateat first I also thought did HS want to jump? He looks super suspicious, as the way he checked on CCTV camera in the supermart? He seems to me trying to find loophole to do something bad 😅 I think it's a bit an open ending here. I felt like he want to justify that Korean justice system is so poor, so let just do something wrong here, since I already served time for crime I didn't do? Felt like his expression towards end of this drama become increasingly darker. 

I think @mademoiselleexplained well on how he have problem adjusting to real life world after out from prison. I did read on some wrongful convicted felon, after she back to her own room, she felt she possesed too many stuff and overwhelmed by it, as of compared to normally vacant room in prison. Also she can't change her habit of washing underwear everyday in shower room. 

As of 67 days after rethink about it again, he did tampering evidence, didn't help the victim (he saw her fingers still moved?), driving without taxi license and under influence. So like you said it's not so bad afterall. 

I'm looking forward hopefully if any S2, KYJ did make a strong appearance in the end, and I really like quirky Lawyer Shin with his eczema problem 😂 Hope the lawyer apprentice also will make a return together. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@SilverMoonTea I had the same thought on whether South Korea would compensate the wrongfully accused/convicted too. Because...

Spoiler

this drama reminds me of a person I knew who was wrongfully accused of murder many years ago. This person A, like Hyun Soo, was denied bail and was in prison for one year until the court ruled A not guilty. I asked A's family whether they were compensated and the answer was no.

I haven't had the time to do a more thorough research but so far Google has pointed out that where I am, the wrongfully convicted do not always receive compensation and there is not a standard for how much compensation one would get. You can sue the government but this means first you have to spend the money to go to court, which most people couldn't. Thus going by the news article you've shared, the article didn't report it as the government willingly compensated him. This man had to sue the government, police officer and the prosecutor. I'm therefore inclined to believe the government does not compensate anyone who was wrongfully convicted. If you guys can find more information about this, and whether without going to court, the SK government would compensate, please do share.

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I think @mademoiselleexplained well on how he have problem adjusting to real life world after out from prison. I did read on some wrongful convicted felon, after she back to her own room, she felt she possesed too many stuff and overwhelmed by it as of compared to normally vacant room in prison. Also she can't change her habit of washing underwear everyday in shower room.

This sort of "situation" really can change one's life and others involved. A's health deteriorated after a year in prison. As we've learnt, the convicts do not receive proper medical care in the prison. They have to be really sick to be able to be treated at a hospital. This incident also broke the harmony of A's family relationships, friendships and romantic relationship (his child eventually broke up with partner because of the lack of support). After this incident, A's kid's world view/personality changed as well.

With what I've learnt from a real life case, regardless of the time spent in prison for Hyun Soo, it isn't worth trading freedom and health (physical & mental) over money one may or may not receive for being wrongly accused/convicted. I think Hyun Soo is suffering from either depression or PTSD, or both.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Insightful 3