L.U.C.A.: The Beginning 루카 [2021]

abs-oluteM

Eps 4 recaps from Naver article:

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20210210/105366508/1

Spoiler

105366503.1.jpg

The ratings of tvN's Monday-Tuesday drama "Luka: The Beginning" (directed by Kim Hong-sun, written by Chun Sung-il, produced studio Dragon, Take One Company, and H-House), which aired on the 9th, averaged 6.4% to 7.5%, ranking 1st in the same time zone, including cable and final episodes. In the 2049 TVN target male and female viewership rate, it maintained its No. 1 spot in all channels including cable and terrestrial channels with an average of 3.3% and a national average of 3.0% and 4.3%. (Based on paid platform integrating cable, IPTV and satellite / provided by Nielsen Korea)

On the same day, it was shocking that the Human Tech Research Institute was revealed along with the secrets of Ji-o (Kim Rae-won). Ji-oh, who ran away from  Goo Reum (played by Lee Da-hee), fought a lonely struggle with Lee Son (played by Kim Sung-oh). The "breathtaking" ending, in which Ji-oh, caught by Kim Sung-oh due to the betrayal of Won-I (Ahn Chang-hwan), exploded the car and disappeared, heralding unpredictable development, raising curiosity.

Furious at a nun (played by Lee Yong-nyeo), who calls him  a demon, Ji-oh went wild causing an explosion.  And he was so sad when he started to recalling bits of the past. GooReum quickly got him out of there and in the car Ji-o said, "When I think I'd rather die because I'm so tired and sick, my body suddenly heats up and my eyes turn blue in front of me." "I want to die, but my body is struggling not to die," he said. "I didn't want to live."

In response, Goo Reum took Ji-oh to Professor Oh Jong-hwan (Lee Hae-young), saying, "I think you really want to live." Zio, who stubbornly refused to be examined, was put on the inspection table when Goo Reum said, "This is the key to knowing who you are." However, Ji-oh, who had a terrible fear from being examined like that in the past , ran out of the hospital room and disappeared. He showed hostility to Cloud, who had followed him, saying, "Don' t ever see me again." Ji-O told her  "You've never been a danger to me. I thought you were someone I could be with".  Ji-O was expressing extreme fear, loneliness, and disappointment toward Goo Reum who did not want to let him go. He had to cause a minor explosion at the bus stop so that he could disappear.

Ji-o, who was alone again, called the number on the Academyron, a business card he had with him.  It belonged to Won-I, a friend who grew up together in the orphanage. Won-yi, who introduced himself as a friend from the orphanage , knew all about J-io's ability and memory loss, and even told him about J-io's past and why he set the cathedral on fire. Jio's mind became more confused. The crisis continued. Won-I , who was threatened by Lee Son, had already sold him out in the past but  J-Ji-o couldn't remember. Won-I  called Lee Son to inform him of Ji-O's  location. His betrayal forced  Ji-o to engage in a desperate run from Lee Son again.

After a fierce fight, he created another spark and avoided a crisis. Ji-o, whose abilities are evolving unknowingly. His hands responded in a different way than before. Ji-o's insanity, which overpowered Lee Son in the battle again, caused goose bumps. However, Yuna (Jeong Da-eun) injected anesthesia into Ji-o's neck, and Ji-O lost his mind and collapsed. So Ji-o was eventually caught by them.

However, an unexpected twist came. Ji-o woke up from his car heading to Human Tech with memories of the past. The car overturned as the blue light began to circulate in his eyes, and his dark aura walked away from the exploding car . Lee Son had injected him with 3 shots but it did not work.

On this day, Ji-o's DNA mystery was revealed . Oh said he had discovered six different genes when delivering Ji-o's test results to Goo Reum. It shows electrical emission, tremendous recovery capabilities, and reflexes beyond humans. In particular, he said, "There are cells that show a link to the origin of all life and that all living organisms on earth come from this common ancestor," referring to "LUCA, the Last Universal Common Ancestor". He says  this is possibly how the cell's secrets were solved. ( how these DNAs could be combined. )  Ji-o is likely to be a creature created by the missing Ryu Joong-kwon , and Oh shocked by GR by saying biologically Ji-O is  "not a person."

Lee Son and Yuna's questionable past were also revealed. Lee Son was formerly a military police who was in jail for killing 9 people . It turned out to be a grenade thrown by Lee Son during a hostage rescue drill. Yuna was also in a similar predicament where she killed five people with a live bullet, that was fired during the training, and Yuna also suffered a gunshot wound to her leg. Both of them were forced into tragic situations due to a mistakes that could not have existed. Yuna suspects that their situations were set up so that they would end up with the LUCA project. At that time, it was revealed that it was Kim Chul-soo (Park Hyuk-kwon) who gave them a hand of salvation, further raising questions about the mystery surrounding the Human Tech Institute and the hidden conspiracy.

Ji-oh, who began to recall memories, began to change. Where is he headed? Attention is focused on the endless chase that resumed with the evolution of power.

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Some thoughts about eps 4

Ji-O's abilities seem to "evolving'' too - in the fight with Lee Son and gang , he seemed to have better reflexes when he swiftly avoided the punches/ objects thrown his way. Also , now no amount of tranquillizer seem to be able to hold him down. Bits & pieces of his  memories are coming back to him , and I wonder if there will come a point where he can recall all the he has done. We know that he has the DNA of an electric eel/ knife fish (most dominant DNA), immortal jellyfish, sturgeon , bat & fruit fly. So these combined allows him to emit electricity, heal faster and have better reflexes. The possibility of the merger of these 6 DNAs is likely because the scientist who did this had discovered LUCA . 

I googled what LUCA was all about:

Spoiler

The last universal common ancestor or last universal cellular ancestor (LUCA), also called the last universal ancestor (LUA), is the most recent population of organisms from which all organisms now living on Earth have a common descent—the most recent common ancestor of all current life on Earth. LUCA is not thought to be the first life on Earth, but rather the only type of organism of its time to still have living descendants.

He is still unable to control the electricity that comes out from his hands, but there was a moment where Goo Reum was able to calm him down. He mentioned that only with GR his hair had never stood ( it is how he detects danger) , so he felt he could trust her. Their fates are definitely intertwined beyond the fact that her father brought him home & had a hand in his creation. Someone on twitter mentioned that GR herself heals too fast , and wonder if she had some super genes too but I personally doubt it. Nevertheless, he will find his way back to her as she is the only one he can instinctively trust.

I felt very bad for Ji-O seeing his tears while recalling the past and also remembering the awful tests carried out on him as a young child. Human or not , he has feelings and a conscience. He did not choose to be born this way. He has abilities that the normal human mind cannot comprehend & a DNA mix that no normal person has. It is clear to me the real monsters are those carrying out these questionable & unethical experiments for their own selfish ambitions and desires.

Preview

BTS

Really admire how they do all the action scenes

• Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Two episodes in...

'Tis the season for superhero dramas. Interesting. And Ahn Nae-sang with his graying locks is now the prime candidate for mad scientist. Nice.

I can see the Awaken comparisons but in more ways it's a different kind of show. As far as the writing and directing is concerned, it's a better type of mad sci-fi superhero show. At least I'd argue that it's a lot more cohesive (so far) than that mediocrity that was Awaken. But Awaken had Namgoong Min which on hindsight and in comparison with this, made a huge difference. However, I get it... Zi-O is a different type of personality. He's lost, confused and barely surviving one episode  of amnesia to another although I keep wondering why he doesn't lay low somewhere far from the crowds and cameras. To give the showrunners some benefit of the doubt, I'd say that he must be drawn to something in the Big Smoke. Magnetized even perhaps? All that crazy electricity... EMP? 

Kim Rae-won is a fine actor to be sure but I don't feel he has the charisma to draw me in completely. Maybe it's just the terrible hairstyle and he needs to find a good barber on top of everything else he has to contend with.

I know this isn't exactly my first Korean drama but why does it always have to be personal with these cops? Even if they've got some kind of personal quest or vendetta, why is it the only thing they care about when everyone's in the middle of a highly charged (no pun intended) situation. Of course family's important but you're a cop... there are larger things are stake such as public safety. Plus I mean, how often are you going to have near-death experiences before it occurs to you that this is much bigger than you? The FL is not the worse example of this but there's a trend in the way female leads... cops in particular... have been written of late. The implication being that you can't be resolute or dogged or professional unless you've got skin in the game. And go nuts.

Nonetheless I was super excited to see Jung Da-eun who was also kicking all kinds of  glutes in Mystic Pop-up Bar. What's with the hair of the characters in this? Is this based off a webtoon?

It's a decent enough start. On the other hand I'm surprisingly not wowed by it. Perhaps it just feels familiar ... derivative of many crazy sci-fi crime shows I've seen in the last four plus decades. It handles all the moving parts better than Awaken by putting all the cards on the table and not having too many moving parts. It's early days yet but that could work in its favour or against but if it's 12 episodes than it's probably not a bad thing.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@40somethingahjumma If I were to be honest, there's nothing particularly unique or ground breaking in the story line here. Of late seem to be watching a number of dramas about men's desires to play God. But I do find the story-telling here a lot more cohesive than Awaken. Overall acting is a better too & the drama knows the direction it is going for. Awaken definitely relied a lot on the charisma of Nam Goong Min ( if not for him I would have dropped it) and that drama could not decide what it wanted to be.  For this drama , the story settles into a good pace in eps 3 & 4. 

-----------------------

BTS

Spoiler

• Like 3

Ooo so he will move in with her

luca-the-beginning-kim-rae-won-lee-da-he

luca-the-beginning-kim-rae-won-lee-da-he

In episode 5, Ji Oh will reunite with Gu Reum and regain another memory. The preview for the episode showed Ji Oh saying that he wouldn’t run away anymore, raising anticipation about his counterattack. The drama’s production team further explained, “Episodes 5 and 6 will mark a huge turning point. These episodes will be ones in which Ji Oh’s choices bring important changes in terms of the growth and awakening of his abilities. Please look forward to Ji Oh’s thrilling counterattack against Human Tech.”

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=076&aid=0003692580

• Like 2

Some spoiler for eps 5

This scene really broke my heart for Ji-O. He just needs a place to rest

After receiving Ji-o's phone call, Goo Reum appeared in front of him and he then laid his head , saying, "How did you endure while remembering?" . She couldn't push him away.

Goo Reum remembered what  from Oh Jong-hwan (Lee Hae-young)said  earlier, " You have to catch  him even if you have to shoot him. He is not supposed to be in this world," 

However, Goo Reum took Ji-O  home and protected him without firing a gun.

According to this Naver article: 
http://www.sportsseoul.com/news/read/1012962?ref=naver

On this day, Goo Reum  started living with Ji-o. Goo Reum commented on his abilities, saying, "You're not just a person."

Ji-O confessed, "I want to be a person. What I have is not ability. It is a curse." 

Later on, when Ji-O  returned home from work, and she handed Ji-o some new clothes to change into. Goo Reum said, "Dinner? Lunch?", and Ji-o said he did not eat. Goo Reum feeling worried said , "If you don't eat, you don't live. So just eat."

• Like 2

Thoughts on ep 3 and 4

I agree @abs-oluteMthe pace is getting better and though we still got that intense chasing game (I'm guessing this chasing will not stop until the end >.< coz it's probably the whole point of the drama) but at least we got a few touching moments and a bit of relief here and there. More and more this shows screams tragedy to me :shocked2:  I just hope Zi O and GR and the policemen... none of them die in the end. puhleaseee 

I also found GR a little bit annoying in these 2 eps. Yes I love how she's no nonsense and don't bend easily to pressure, but I hope she will soon find herself being able to trust her team, especially her boss coz I think he really cares for her. It's still early on, but I surely hope that Kim Sang Ho's character will play a more important part in this drama other than just being fooled again and again (or so it seems) by GR. 

These 2 eps also did a good job in making me pity the villains at times (in this case Yi Son and Yoo Na). We found out that they might actually be tricked into this special program where they got their arm and legs. I wonder, once they find out the truth, will they be able to return to the good way...or they will be far too gone in their current path. shrugs. But won't it be cool if they team up with Zi O? If they do though, then there won't be any enough powerful enemies and the drama will be boring hahahahahah. 

On side note: enough of the boy's (Zi-O as a child) screaming please T_T and  LOL why Lee Yong Nyeo often plays this type of character....well she does play it very well I must say :laugh:

• Heart Eyes 2

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

17 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

These 2 eps also did a good job in making me pity the villains at times (in this case Yi Son and Yoo Na). We found out that they might actually be tricked into this special program where they got their arm and legs. I wonder, once they find out the truth, will they be able to return to the good way...or they will be far too gone in their current path. shrugs. But won't it be cool if they team up with Zi O? If they do though, then there won't be any enough powerful enemies and the drama will be boring hahahahahah

I also feel sorry for them - the guys doing all the chasing that is (Lee Son & gang). They were definitely set up to end up serving Human Tech. This is survival for them . 

After watching eps 5 with subs, I feel even more sorry for Ji-O. The part that hit my heart was when he told GR that he sees himself as human too and wouldn't purposely go destroy a place or hurt someone. He finds his ability a curse. So sad when he put his head on GR's shoulders because he needed a place of refuge. He's drawn to her and now is a protective of her. GR can clearly see that he's no monster , not the way that he has been described by the NFS prof , Dr Oh. Talking about Dr Oh , I didn't expect him to be killed off. So now GR has one less person that she trust & can get expert advice from.

I like where the story is headed. Running constantly is actually not the answer. They will never let Ji-O go. So it may be best he finds our for himself how it all started but this also means he will be subject to more tests like what these new still are showing

105440751.1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some spoiler recaps for eps 6

https://www.hankyung.com/entertainment/article/202102169335I

tvN's Monday-Tuesday drama "Luka: The Beginning," which aired on the afternoon of the 16th, showed Ryu Joong-kwon (played by Ahn In-sang) saving Ji-O and going against an order to abandon ( kill off)  Ji-o (played by Kim Rae- won).

On the same day, Lee Son (Kim Sung-oh) captured Ji-oh alive and moved him to the Human Tech lab where Ryu Joong-kwon (played by Ahn In-sang) and Kim Cheol-soo (played by Park Hyuk- kwon) were. "I'm your father," Ryu Joong-kwon told Geo when he found consciousness. You're my son," he told Ji-o about himself.

When Ji-o asked about Ha Young-jae,  father of Goo Reum  (Lee Da-hee), Ryu Joong-kwon said, "Ha Young-jae. He burned the lab and ran away with you. He was going to sell you out ." When asked by Ji-o if he killed Ha Young-jae, Ryu Joong-kwon said, "You followed him well. You're not the one who kills the person you like."

Ryu Joong Kwon  continued "Listen to what father says here . You have to find the answer. Are human beings right? Should we be the last human being? There are two questions, but the answer will be one. No matter how hard it is, you have to endure it before you give an answer. "

Later, Hwang Jeong-ah (played by Jin Kyung) received a report from Ryu Joong-kwon on Ji-O's test results. “Kill all the other researchers when you're done making cloned cells,” she said to Kim Chul Soo. Then, Kim Chul-soo said, "Then, do you kill Dr. Ryu, too? You're  asking you to clean up the people involved, so am I going to die too ?" Hwang Jung-ah asked back, "Shouldn 't we enjoy an era of glory?"

Later on the day of Ji-o's planed death, Lee Son confirmed that Kim Chul-soo would transplant Ji-o's arm, which he had previously promised, but Kim Chul-soo completely forgot. At that time, Ji-o's genes were being extracted and disposed of. Ryu Joong-kwon said, "I'm his father, so I'll wrap it up.I have one last thing to say," he entered his room with a injection needle.

Before injecting the poison, Ryu said, "I was born with seven fingers. It's dominant, but the rest of my hands were paralyzed while I was operating to fit people's eyes. I know you had a hard life. The pain didn't catch you, you were holding the pain, just like me. I'm superior to anyone else. "You're proof that I was superior." "Live. You have to live. Find the answer to that question alive. The elevator is at the right end of the hallway. "Run away," he said,  and injecting  a serum  into Ji-o.

After receiving Ryu Joong-kwon's injection, Ji-o began to show greater ability, and Hwang Jung-ah, Kim Cheol-soo, and Ryu Joong-kwon took refuge in  the Human Tech Institute.

• Like 2

In this cut it seems that Captain finally knows what GR has been up to. 

They did some tests on him here

Spoiler

Preview - I swear GR's head is made of steel or something.

OST 2 - this one is like the main theme of the show

• Like 2

Ep 5 & 6

I pity Zi O very much - I'm surprised that he had not turned into a psychopath or something with a 'father' and 'mother' who are 'crazy' like that. What kind of human made another to undergo testings/trials/experiments like what they did to Zi O. Oh I'm sure such people really do exist in real life but they're just simply inhumane. How lonely Zi O must feel. After all these hardships, he's still alone. At this point of time, even GR hasn't really pledged her loyalty or offered sincere friendship to him, which is understandable from her POV coz she is yet to be sure of who he is. If I were Zi-O, I would definitely learn what I could do with my superpower exactly and how I could use it more than just simply electrocuting bad people when I were in danger after all these :P 

Gu Reum, you're one stubborn lady. I think there are already two people telling her to let go of the past (one was the professor who got killed in ep 5) and another was her boss in the latest episode. I'm not sure...if you're in her position, what would you do? Would you let go or would you doggedly try to find out the criminal even though the statute of limitations is expired already? I feel that there's the truth in what the boss was saying that you couldn't live like that, you must let go. 

@abs-oluteM I might miss something (coz tbh I at times watched while I was doing something else) but what's with Yi Son's obsession with Zi-O's arm???? And what made him and the gang pursue Zi O relentlessly anyway after sensing that the people who 'hire' them are shady as well? Is it because they won't get the injection to keep their new arm and legs if they don't it?

Hmmm....so is Zi-O a clone? Was he made by human hands? Or was he born just like normal baby but then got injected with all these animals' DNA later on? 

• Heart Eyes 2

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

@SnowBlob 

From what I understand & gather  , Ji-O was conceived the way test tube / IVF babies are . So you will still need the sperm and egg of human father & mother . But the embryo I suppose will be mixed with DNA from other animals (electric eel etc) before the surrogate mother carries him. Hwang Jung A who leads the project & runs the cult was the surrogate mother for Ji-O. Even though the other researchers say that Ryu JK is not the actual father to Ji-O but he could have been the sperm donor . RJK may truly feel he is Ji-O's father as Ji-O was after all his creation,  and I believe that is the reason why RJK did not have the heart to kill off Ji-O and gave him a way to escape.

In the cult,  Hwang JA has all these women ready to be give birth to the perfect human being or angel or whatever ideas she has brainwashed them with.  They are all gonna be surrogates . What they have done now is that they have harvested Ji-O's cells/DNA , and I suppose will have them injected or merged with healthy embryos that these women would carry. I am certain she brainwashes these women into thinking they could all be like Virgin Mary & give birth to the "son of God". Something along those lines.  These miracle babies will help grow her cult. The bigger the following , the more money she will receive - that is the basis of many cults as followers will do anything for their beliefs.

Lee Son was promised by Kim Cheol Soo that he would get Ji-O's arm ( think it was eps 2?) . As you know his  current arm is burnt and he needs these injections to prevent it from rotting away. If he can have Ji-O's arm transplanted , it gives hope that he will no longer need these painful injections for the rest of his life . That is why Lee Son is even more determined to catch hold of Ji-O. 

6 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

Gu Reum, you're one stubborn lady. I think there are already two people telling her to let go of the past (one was the professor who got killed in ep 5) and another was her boss in the latest episode. I'm not sure...if you're in her position, what would you do? Would you let go or would you doggedly try to find out the criminal even though the statute of limitations is expired already? I feel that there's the truth in what the boss was saying that you couldn't live like that, you must let go. 

I know she seems a little stubborn and I suppose if she was going to survive, walking away from all this would be the right thing to do.  I have a different view on this. I think she needs to investigate this. She is actually the perfect candidate - she has no family & nothing to lose. She is a detective who can fight and has good instincts. But more than that, as a cop it is actually impossible to walk away after knowing what she knows about Ji-O. These experiments they are doing are not legal & are unethical. Someone has to expose them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is a man the sum of his DNA? Well... that is the billion dollar question. For some he's merely a genetic cocktail and it's clear that the biological determinism underpins the thinking of the Evil People. It's a rhetorical question really because we know what the show's mantra is. Or at least there can be no doubt. The man vs monster theme to my mind hampers the first act because to hit home the point the it suffers from a heavy dose of rinse and repeat. 

@abs-oluteMI've been watching it in the hope that things will pick up and it finally did in Episode 5. All of sudden the show comes into its own. Almost overnight everyone ... good, bad and psychotic... starts to get their act together doing what needs to be done.

The jury is still out on whether this heavy-handed refashioning of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, superhero origins story and  police procedural into some semblance of sci-fi will go the distance. What I saw in the first act didn't give me much confidence to be honest. But Episodes 5 and 6 really gave me some reason to be hopeful. It's enough of a carrot to keep me coming back for the next episode at least. Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be the same kind of carrot that sees Kim Cheol-soo et al dangling unconscionably in front of Yi-son. A bait with a hook under it.

Although I might sound critical... I was far more critical of Awaken to be honest... the one thing I really like about this is how it showcases and manages the competing and intersecting agendas. For me that's what will most likely give this legs. No one's soppy or sentimental about their motives (there's no pretence to altruism here thankfully) but what's unusual is that money isn't what's driving much of this. Mind you it's still greed at play but they're not terribly interested in money. At a glance it doesn't seem like a crazy cult leader, a narcissistic scientist, a high level bureaucrat and a motley crew of ex-soliders have much in common. Ordinarily they don't but Project Zi-o seems to have made strange bedfellows out of them. They all want a piece of him and most want him dead. It's not hard to see why he's constantly being demonized by hostile forces because it just makes it less ethically complicated to grab what they want from him.

At the end of Episode 6 when Yi-son demands that Zi-o surrender his arm to him, it demonstrated how far his desperation had sunk. It's not just an arm to him either. It represents freedom and a move away from dependency on Human Tech and the baggage that he drags around for them. He allows himself to be fooled, clinging to the possibility of a better day. His need to have hope is used against him but he's not  unwilling. Such is the nature of transactional relationships. We use others and we let ourselves be used often quite willingly because there is something to be gained from it.

Before Episode 5 and 6, I was under the impression that the so-called "villains" were better drawn than the so-called protagonists. Then it dawned on me after Episode 3 that the writer was taking his cue from the original Frankenstein novel. All these over-the-top moments where Zi-o goes ballistic suddenly made sense. The volatility made sense. That was certainly confirmed when Zi-o finally came face to face with Ryu Joong-kwon. Right from the horses mouth. Ryu Joong-kwon, an egotist through and through is not understood by the people around him. It's not fame he craves. He just wants to prove that he was right all along. For me, RJK is probably the most fascinating character in the show. It may just be Ahn Nae-sang who's a perennial favourite. But he was wonderful in his scenes with Zi-o. The affection, the sadness and that "father-knows-best" smile are part of the fleshing out of this brilliant, insane, obsessive and profoundly egotistical scientist. What he said too about humanity becoming too reliant on technology and regressing (can't remember the exact words) -- that resonated with me and hit me hard. I've heard others say something similar although his remedy is generally out of everyone's ethical zone. He follows in the footsteps of Victor Frankenstein before him but unlike his predecessor his attachment to Zi-o runs much much deeper. More than anything, Zi-o is living proof that he can shape the future of the human race.

As for the police procedural side of things... it's largely about Gu-reum and giving her the tools and "license" to break the rules while carrying a badge. The main company of cops are better utilized here than in Awaken and a lot less like comic relief. While it's understandable why Gu-reum keeps things to herself, there are inherent dangers for her colleagues. The team leader's frustration is not without foundation. There's a recklessness to her steely resolve that brings unwanted attention to her doorstep.

There's lots more that can be said but I'm half asleep and ready for bed. The show seems to have taken a definitive turn for the better in recent episodes. May it be a sign of bigger and better things to come. 

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I am catching up now that it’s the weekend... still on ep.3 though. Wow, our FL is a fighting machine. I lost count of how many times she’s been swung to the wall, smashed to the ground. Also lost count how many times her head has been hit. Yet, she can still get up to fight. With such amazing endurance, she only needs to up her fighting skill so she can take down the bad guys, hahaa... Seriously though, I really enjoyed the action fighting sequences. The one inside the hospital lift was also a great shot. It must not have been easy for cast and crew to film that. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

The end of episode 6 was awesome. I love that he is finally going full mode raging and no longer the timid and held-back person... But oh, it was torturing to see him being electrocuted so many times for so many weeks. How cruel can these people be. I just can’t believe that the mad scientist and the mad priestess(?) are his parents. Urgh!... I had guessed though that his father would not want to kill/destroy/eliminate him, because he is his proud creation after all. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I am not sure why that I didn't see it coming when I should have - I was surprised that  GR was made the scapegoat and that her immediate superior was the one to turn on her. What she knows now about the secret lab , it seems like he has been aware of it all this while . I was sorry for GR. She really has no one in the force to rely on . Perhaps the best way forward is to somehow find a way expose to the press.  But of course , she first needs to find a place to hide.

In some ways , I wish Ji-O and her could really run off somewhere and hide ...but we know that cannot possibly be as there will always be after Ji-O given who he is. Aiks , know I am wondering how they will end this. Will Ji-O's death be the only way? Even if the Human Tech folks are not going to end up having Ji-O, he will always be treated like the subject of some experiment. 

Lee Da Hee is right about the romance - there are some affections both ways ( more from Ji-O ) but there's really no time to develop it given all the chasing & fighting that goes on each episode. 

LDH sang this signature OST

Preview

Ratings wise drama is doing well

Spoiler

TVN's Monday-Tuesday drama 'Luca: The Beginning' , broadcast on the 22nd, ranked first in the same time zone, with an average of 6.1% and 7.1% for households in Seoul. Nationwide, the average was 5.7% and the highest (peak ) was 6.6%.

• Like 2

Wa wah wah finally they kiss?! @abs-oluteM

I'm behind on this drama and find it hard to concentrate, but I did see a scene whereby Zi-O lost it again in the lab with babies around and poor Gu Reum keeps getting blasted away from his electrical force field. How many times has it been I'm starting to wonder if these force fields would be damaging to her in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Woot  @mademoiselle  ! Didn't expect that to happen but given that I like the chemistry , I will go with it . :GrowDerp:

I am sure if GR  is a normal person, she'd be dead by now . LOL! I just wish the PD will tone down a bit on getting her head injured every episode. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Lee Da Hee is right about the romance - there are some affections both ways ( more from Ji-O ) but there's really no time to develop it given all the chasing & fighting that goes on each episode. 

Need to eat my words... I did not see this coming. The romance bit was not completely unexpected but them actually having a kid and getting "married". Looks like for a short time they were able to build a life together . I am shocked in some ways. While I have yet to watch the entire episode, in a way I was glad for some short moments of bliss for these two . They have gone through a lot and I supposed the writer wanted to raise the stakes even further by them having a child. Will this kid also be like Ji-O? But I also feel that something very tragic is going to happen. 

But this is no romance drama lest we forget. They caught her and the baby when she had to deliver. Don't think they know the kid is Ji-O's yet...but it will only be a matter of time

Spoiler

preview...

• Shocked 2

Opening Ep 7 sees Zi-O after receiving RJK injection,began to show greater strength in his fight against the villians. Finally we get to see  Zi-O hugged GR  and the scene where GR was hurled out from the window was a painful one. Poor GR keeps getting hurt.  I have lost count how many times GR gets,yet she can still get up to fight.

Honestly speaking, those few months old babies should not in the fire scene...inhealing all those smoke.

OMG ! did not expect Captain to be on the bad side. GR expertise in analyzing and sizing up people failed to read the Captain.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Wow wow wow... I really didn’t except such a blissful turn given what we’ve seen so far from episode 1. But of course it is very short lived. Thankful for that bit of being able to take a breath nonetheless, for them and for us. 

The lead-in to the kiss is very well done. Although it’s GR who initiated it but it’s made obvious both are longing for it. 

Now it’s time to watch the full episode, hahaa...

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Wow wow wow... I really didn’t except such a blissful turn given what we’ve seen so far from episode 1. But of course it is very short lived. Thankful for that bit of being able to take a breath nonetheless, for them and for us. 

The lead-in to the kiss is very well done. Although it’s GR who initiated it but it’s made obvious both are longing for it. 

Now it’s time to watch the full episode, hahaa...

Wait.... will watch tonight Ep 8

:wow:

• Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

To the drama’s credit they had a time jump of sorts giving the characters (and us)  some breather from all the fighting & chasing.

Nothing  went on romantically between JiO & GR in the 1st 3 months they stayed at the ranch . He did some farm work while she continued to wrestle with her own thoughts about what she should do. She had many times contemplated to leave & face the music , but each time he convinced her to stay awhile .
I believe part of her wanted to continue living in this peaceful fantasy as she calls it. However she feels that this is but a temporary solution. But for the 1st time , Ji-O felt hope . It felt like these peaceful days & the times spent with her gave him a reason to live. 

Finally on a rainy night , she gave in to her feelings for him. However even after their 1st night together, she was going to go back to Seoul. But somehow she ended up staying & their relationship blossomed & they discovered she was pregnant. I felt really happy for them but as we saw this happiness was  short lived . I feel so bad for them both. And what is worse now is that GR’s emotions are further complicated with the revelation that JiO may have caused her parents death. 

Interestingly their baby seems normal - so I’m assuming the human gene is always more dominant or superior if there’s no genetic modification. Or maybe her abilities are not yet revealed. The Human Tech folks overdid it , and this caused them the lives of those potential new Ji-Os , not to mention killing the mothers who carried them. 

In the case of these villains , there’s already a trust deficit among the 3 - cult lady , Director Kim & RJK. Won’t be long before they end up destroying each other.  I do feel sorry for Lee Son & Red hair girl . Their the foot soldiers doing all the dirty work but only because they were targeted to be used from the very beginning.

BTS

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2