The Veil 검은 태양 [2021]

Darkarcana

8 hours ago, liddi said:

Will find out once I finish the last 3 episodes, whenever that is!

You need to complete this assignment fast, so you can join us in Reflection of You! :CharmanderYay:

Actually, the last three episodes are so much more watchable than the middle ones. Hope that helps to motivate you into finishing... And I promise I'm not just saying this so that you come watch RoY :laugh: It's really not everyone's cup of tea, so I can understand if you don't prefer to watch. I just thought us there could really use an additional perspective in the thread. 

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@ktcjdrama Thank you for the motivational talk :smile:  Was 20mins into Ep10 when Jirisan called (it's now a running joke in the family that Mummy's got mountains to climb and spies to catch, particularly on weekends :laugh:) Will try to finish it - certainly the reveal of what actually happened that fateful night when HJH's team died has reignited my interest, so I should be resuming sometime soon. As for RoY... I'm 10eps behind with the 11th on the way. Let's see if I manage to play catch up before it ends. Fingers crossed.

• Haha 2
  • Party! 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

At last we reach the end. There is certainly an improvement in pace in the last 3 episodes, after the snoozefest in the middle, with enough action to make up for it. Unfortunately, I am also left with enough straggly loose ends to make kolo mee, thus resulting in being a disappointment.

So the real mole in the team was OKS, a Sangmuhoe double agent, who leaked intel to SSY, who in turn handed it over to Dir Kang to be passed to Dep Commr Lee? Say what? The whole conspiracy already involves Sangmuhoe (represented by CCW), BMS and RDC. As such, is there even any purpose to this whole roundabout leak of information? What information could HJH's team have given Dep Commr Lee through their surveillance on the man that CCW could not?  Or am I missing something here?

Sangmuhoe is revealed to be controlled by a group of shadowy elders (literally - since they appear to love poorly lit places which do nothing for one's eyesight) who have no compunction in getting rid of Dep. Commr Lee through BMS once he is exposed. Still, how is Planet's Chairman Shin able to identify everyone in the organisation, to be able to provide the full list to HJH and JKS? Was Dep. Commr Lee also keeping tabs on his higher-ups in that organisation via Planet?

Can anyone tell me how HJH figured out the right time to send the videos to Chief Ha, who in turn sent it back to him? I do understand him wiping his memories clean so that he could reinvestigate the whole thing without the baggage of his terrible guilt, but how is the timing explained?

We are never told why JKS was framed as a North Korean spy in the first place instead of being eliminated for her investigation into Sangmuhoe, so I presume this is just a plot device to keep her alive up to the very end to be able to get the encryption key from Chairman Shin.

We know the OKS was planted in the NIS by Sangmuhoe. Was CCW a part of Sangmuhoe before joining the NIS too, or after his faked death in Moebius? To be honest, up to the end, the main drama and its spinoff never quite agreed upon his backstory, nor why he was still a known black agent despite supposedly being declared to be dead in 2012.

BMS being the big bad was expected, after seeing his iron grip over HMS and his ruthless disposal of CCW. Nonetheless, the way it played out and how he was finally taken down felt flat. Had a good laugh when he revealed himself behind the molded mask in the NIS cell, which reminds me of 易容术 Art of Disguise from Chinese martial arts books and dramas. I find it unbelievable as well that a highly skilled agent like him would have left the man half dead instead. Was that intentional to allow CSK to finish the deed? I don't know. Also, the showdown at the roof of the data center failed to hit the mark for me, and I never felt any real tension because BMS was clearly already wavering from flashbacks of his daughter. Nonetheless, I thought it was an excellent touch having YJY revealed to have infiltrated among the hostages, which pushed BMS' vestiges of humanity to the surface.

For all my gripes, HJH's broadcast using BMS' live stream was a masterstroke, effectively preventing any cover-up attempts, and his homage to the countless, faceless agents who gave their lives for their country truly moving. I too liked that both he and Dir. Kang served time for what they did, and the NIS now in the hands of new blood with the changing of the guard. Still, I have to wonder how he could hope to continue on as an agent, with his face already plastered everywhere for the world to see.

At the end of the day, The Veil feels like an ambitious project that tried to incorporate too many elements, plots and twists, failing to make sense in some pertinent key areas. For the most part, the characters do not resonate much with me despite the heightened drama, leaving me with a detached viewing experience, which is unfortunate. Ultimately, I still rank Moebius higher despite its brevity and far simpler (but more comprehensive) plot, exactly because it kept me emotionally invested long after it was over.

• Clapping Hands 3

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

• 1 month later...

Congrats to NGM!!!! So happy he won because he carried this show on his shoulders and gave MBC hope again in the ratings war.

FH3NEu3VQAA-Ugg?format=png&name=small

On this day, Namgoong-min said, "I think it's strange to feel like an award at the end of the year. It was a while ago, but I once participated in the 'MBC Acting Awards' here. I was happy to participate, but when I congratulated the other actors and went home and lay down in bed, I felt a little queasy. Not a negative feeling. I don't know what that feeling is. Thank you for giving me such a big award after a long time. Thank you very much to the MBC officials.”

He continued, “The writer who started ‘Black Sun’ worked really hard. Thank you very much. I think we talked on the phone for an hour or two,  two months before the drama was filmed. I think I was able to finish it well because the director led me with a smile on set.

Namgoong-min also said, "'Black Sun' was a drama that was technically time-consuming to shoot. So, it seems like there was a regret that it would be better if we had a little more time. Nevertheless, what I was able to finish well because of  the staff and actors who participated (thank you). When I go to the field, I try to prepare meticulously, but I couldn't do it because I had to prepare too many things. When I was stressed, the lovely actors stood in front of me just as they were in 'Black Sun'. That really gave me strength.”

He added, “I was exhausted physically and mentally, but I think I was able to film until the end (thanks to the actors). My sincere thanks to the 'Black Sun' family. Lastly, I would like to thank the representative of my agency. Again, thank you for always being by my side, I love you.”

http://mksports.co.kr/view/2021/1222633/

• Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Congratulations to The Veil and Moebius:The Veil for reaping 5 awards! Am particularly thrilled for Jung Moon-seong for winning Best Actor in Short Drama award - very well deserved. While I am disappointed that Park Ha-sun and Jung Moon-Seong didn't win Best Couple, it is a testament to their chemistry as SSY and CCW in Moebius:The Veil that they were nominated. Well done all!

• Clapping Hands 2

MBC videos for the awards

NGM for Daesang

Excellence Award for Jang Young Nam ( also love this actress). Happy to see my oppa Lee Joon Hyuk presenting the award

Well done to Joon Moon Sung for Excellence Award ( Mobeius : The Veil) 

Rookie Actress - Kim Ji Eun

Spoiler

• Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring