The Veil 검은 태양 [2021]

Darkarcana

“The Veil” Writer Praises Stars Namgoong Min, Park Ha Sun, And Kim Ji Eun

Sep 10, 2021 by E. Cha

Park Seok Ho, the writer of MBC’s upcoming drama “The Veil,” has shared his thoughts on the acting of the three leads!

“The Veil” is a new blockbuster action drama starring Namgoong Min as Han Ji Hyuk, an elite field agent whose perfect record and skill at completing missions make him a legend at the NIS (National Intelligence Service). However, just when he seemed to have finally succeeded in driving an organized crime syndicate into a corner, Han Ji Hyuk unexpectedly winds up losing his memories in a horrific accident that leaves all his teammates dead. After going missing for a year, he makes a bold return to the organization to find the traitor who attempted to kill his entire team.

Expressing his complete confidence in Namgoong Min’s charisma and ability to portray the tormented lead, Park Seok Ho remarked, “Actor Namgoong Min has already made a flawless transformation into the main character, both externally and internally. It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that he has transcended his role and is taking charge of the entire drama.”

Namgoong-Min3.jpg

The writer also spoke highly of Park Ha Sun, who will be starring in the drama as Seo Soo Yeon, a team leader at the NIS’s Crime Information Center.

“Her passion for the drama and her role is incredible,” said Park Seok Ho. “Seo Soo Yeon is a character who is sunny but also dark, warm but also cold. It’s a role that is full of duality, and actress Park Ha Sun is portraying that duality through her outstanding interpretation of the character. I’m certain that she will show a new side of herself [in ‘The Veil’] that she hasn’t shown in her previous projects.”

Park-Ha-Sun2.jpg

Finally, Park Seok Ho praised the acting of relative newcomer Kim Ji Eun, who will be playing Han Ji Hyuk’s partner Yoo Je Yi.

“Even though she’s a rookie actress, her acting is stable and full of confidence,” he shared. “She’s a breath of fresh air that adds vitality to our drama, which could come off as heavy.”

The writer added, “Yoo Je Yi is a character who has every kind of potential within her, and actress Kim Ji Eun is bringing the character to life with her unreadable charms.”

Kim-Ji-Eun3.jpg

“The Veil” premieres on September 17 at 10 p.m. KST and will be available with subtitles on Viki.

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Party! 1

I caught the 1st episode. I chose to start with this over all the other new premieres since I have limited time. I guess I need some closure from his last drama . Plus , I should not let his hard work of bulking up go to waste. :lmao2:

As per the synopsis, Ji Hyuk lost his memories a year ago in an operation with two other field agents. What I find interesting is that he was the only one who survived. Anyhow, he was discovered on some ship and later after some treatment by the NIS, he was discharged ( though the psychiatrist disagreed with the command from the higher ups to let him go).  It didn't take too long for him to be back to work though at the moment it is providing support - more a desk job than going to the field. 

He and Soo Yeon were in that operations together. But he seems suspicious that she did not receive their call From flashbacks , she was kissing Kyung Seok ( I think) , one of the agents who died. So when she confronted Ji Hyuk in the present, she was visibly upset. She kept asking him to remember what he promised her. She kept warning him. Though it seems like she and Ji Hyuk could be hostile to each other , I think they will end up working together.

The one I find a little suspicious is his new partner Yoo Je Yi. She seems eager to work with him and I believe had applied for the job with an ulterior motive. She gives off that innocent vibe but of course as pointed out by the director she is overqualified for a desk job. 

So the ending scene was pretty interesting.  Not sure who sent him that Morse code , but from it he was able to retrieve a thumb drive from himself.  Interesting twist since he had sent himself a video and we find out that he had purposely deleted his own memories. Now, how does one do that???  How highly skilled or trained  is he  that he can give himself some sort of PTSD to forget stuff?  :heiboi:And how does removing a chunk of that memory help him find out the mole in the NIS? 

--------

Anyway drama did really well  - 7.4% nationwide (peak over 12%) . MBC has been struggling with their ratings , and I think a lot is riding on the show.

New stills ...ahh Jang Young Nam - this actress always plays corrupted official . Wonder if she is good or bad here?

http://file.mk.co.kr/meet/neds/2021/09/image_readtop_2021_901975_16319616994789927.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Interesting twist since he had sent himself a video and we find out that he had purposely deleted his own memories. Now, how does one do that???  How highly skilled or trained  is he  that he can give himself some sort of PTSD to forget stuff?  :heiboi:And how does removing a chunk of that memory help him find out the mole in the NIS? 

They did a health screening after he was found. There was a scene where the lab tech mentioned that his injuries showed that he was tortured and the blood test showed he had been injected with small doses of chemical, over a period, and that this causes memory loss. Now we know he injected himself.

But how can it control the amount of memory to lose - so specifically, only that one year’s memory is gone 🙄

I’m also curious how losing one’s memories can possibly be helpful, unless it was to avoid revealing info/secrets via a lie detector/hypnosis/truth serum 😂.

I am a bit worried about this drama. The first episode doesn’t bode well - I found it messy and frankly, quite boring. I was so looking forward to another good Namgoong Min drama after Hot Stove League. Let’s see how episode 2 goes - crossing fingers!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

ʜɪ @abs-oluteM

ɪ ᴛᴏᴏᴋ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴘɪᴄᴛᴜʀᴇs ғᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ ᴏғ ɴᴀᴍ ᴋᴏᴏɴɢ ᴍɪɴ . 

ɪ ᴡɪʟʟ sʜᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇᴍ ɪɴ ᴅɪsᴄᴏʀᴅ . ʟᴏʟ ʟᴏʟ ɪ ᴀɢʀᴇᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʏᴏᴜ ssʏ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴡᴏʀᴋɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʜɪᴍ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ sʜᴇ ᴛᴏʟᴅ/ᴡᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ʜɪᴍ ᴛʜɪs ᴘʀᴏᴊᴇᴄᴛ ʜᴇ's ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴏɴ sᴇᴇᴍs ғɪsʜʏ. 

ɴᴀᴍ ᴋᴏᴏɴɢ ᴍɪɴ's ᴘᴇʀғᴏʀᴍᴀɴᴄᴇ ɪs ɢʀᴇᴀᴛ . ʜɪs ᴀᴄᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴀs ɢᴏᴛᴛᴇɴ sᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ. ɪ ᴄᴀɴ ғᴇᴇʟ

ʜɪs ᴘᴀɪɴ. ᴀғᴛᴇʀ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜɪɴɢ ᴇᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ 1 ɪ ʜᴀᴠᴇ sᴏ ᴍᴀɴʏ ǫᴜᴇsᴛɪᴏɴs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴀɴsᴡᴇʀs .

sᴇᴏ sᴏᴏ ʏᴇᴏɴ ɪs ᴛʀᴜʟʏ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ  ᴏʀ ɪs sʜᴇ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ.?

ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴛʀᴜsᴛ ɴᴊʜ's  ʙᴏss ( ᴅᴊs)  ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ʜᴇʟᴘ ʙᴜᴛ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴋᴀɴɢ ᴘɪʟ ʜᴏ ᴅᴏᴇs ᴄᴀʀᴇ ғᴏʀ ᴊɪ-ʜʏᴜᴋ. ʜᴇ ʀᴇᴄʀᴜɪᴛᴇᴅ ʜɪᴍ ʙᴜᴛ ᴡᴏɴᴅᴇʀ ᴡʜʏ ʜᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ sᴏ ʜɪɢʜʟʏ ᴏғ ʜɪᴍ? ɪ ʜᴏᴘᴇ ᴛʜɪs ɪs ᴇxᴘʟᴀɪɴᴇᴅ . ʜᴀɴ ᴊɪ ʜʏᴜᴋ ʟᴏsᴛ sᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ᴅᴇᴀʀʟʏ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ᴅᴏ ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠᴇ ʜᴇ ᴄᴀʀᴇᴅ ғᴏʀ ʜɪs ᴛᴇᴀᴍᴍᴀᴛᴇs ᴅᴇᴀʀʟʏ ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀs ᴅᴇᴠᴀsᴛᴀᴛᴇᴅ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜs. 

ᴇɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴇᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ 1 ᴡᴀs ʙᴀɴɢ !!! 

@ktcjdramai

@Chocolateʜᴇ ʜᴀᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟᴏsᴇ ɪᴛ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪᴛ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴀʟᴇʀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴀɪᴛᴏʀ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏʀɢᴀɴɪᴢᴀᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏғ ʜɪs ɪɴᴠᴇsᴛɪɢᴀᴛɪᴏɴ . 

ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ ᴇᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ 2 ɴᴏᴡ 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Episode 2 was action packed and I did fast forward some scenes. I had a hard time watching this episode ddue to the fact that the subtitles wasn't synced right. I was having difficulty watching and reading the subs. it was a good episode and hope the next episode don''y have the same type of problem next time. 

Going to try to make some GIF'S  will be right back

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

I've just looked at the first episode and this looks fantastic. Namgoong Min really buffed himself up for the role. @abs-oluteMshould be ecstatic. Direction and production values seem top-notch. Very very cinematic and very slick. 

The set-up is good. I was very immersed in the storyline and Ji-hyuk's predicament. It seems like this is primarily about a mole hunt. 

I have high hopes for this one. Consider me in. Plus I'm a fan of Namgoong Min.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

abs-oluteMshould be ecstatic. Direction and production values seem top-notch. Very very cinematic and very slick. 

Yes she was! :smile:

Most of my  earlier  posts here were about him putting on  14 kg to buff up for the show. 

I liked the 1st eps - especially some of the reveals in the 2nd half. I am happy that this is a straight-up spy drama. As you know I am scarred by human experiments and fantasy dramas.

I am gonna watch ep 2 shortly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

I've changed my mind. Episode 2 was fantastic! 😂 3 superb scenes:

1. The interrogation. Although I think this guy probably got a bit excited considering his history of raping boys 🤔

tzXo1zz.gif

2. The driver...

Spoiler

...turned Gang Boss! I suspected he was not as innocent as he said, but thought he was just trying to hide the fact he was a member of the gang. But the boss! That was unexpected.

OfM8SjL.gif

ZR1Pjpg.gif

3. The car chase. Unlike many similar scenes where I would be screaming to the TV to "brake!" or "turn L/R!", this one was near perfect. I would not have done much different if I were any of the drivers - both good and bad guys.

VN0EHVt.gif

• Clapping Hands 4

@Chocolate   ᴡᴀsɴ'ᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴀɴ ᴀᴡᴇsᴏᴍᴇ ᴇᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ . ᴊɪ ʜᴜᴄᴋ's ʟɪғᴇ ᴡᴀs ʜᴇʟʟ.  
ɪ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ʀᴇᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴅ. ʜᴇ ᴘʀᴏғɪʟᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏɴᴠɪᴄᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴛ. ʜɪs ᴄᴏʟʟᴇᴀɢᴜᴇs ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ ᴊᴇᴀʟᴏᴜs ᴏғ ʜɪᴍ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪs ᴡʜʏ ᴀ ʟᴏᴛ ᴏғ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ᴡᴇʀᴇɴ'ᴛ ʜᴀᴘᴘʏ ᴛᴏ sᴇᴇ ʜɪᴍ .

ʙʟɪɴᴅsᴘᴏᴛ ( ᴀᴍᴇʀɪᴄᴀɴ ᴛᴠ sʜᴏᴡ) ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴀʟsᴏ ᴜsᴇᴅ ᴢɪᴘ ᴛᴏ ᴇʀᴀsᴇ ᴀ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ's ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

This show is just bursting with promise. I can see it going in at least two different directions. I get a Total Recall  (self-induced amnesia) as well as a Spooks vibe from this. It's has all the hallmarks of a rollercoaster thriller -- a tight script, a sense of urgency and great action sequences. This is the sort of show one usually expects of OCN but it's interesting that the mainstream networks are doing such hard core violence.Two episodes and two car chases already. The second one was... wow... did NGM do his own stunts? A pity that even after all his efforts he didn't get the gangland leader. What was done to that police precinct was absolutely devastating. Unfortunately I could see it coming and on some level was surprised that the cops didn't. Maybe they underestimated the enormity of the threat and were blindsided by the trojan horses slipping past their defences right where the most amount of damage can be done.

There are some really bad people operating at a degree of lawlessness that would make the criminal elites of Devil Judge look like boy scouts. The law enforcement officials are dealing with monsters who play by their own rules. To think that someone in the NIS might be aiding and abetting them makes it all the more horrifying. Obviously the show is making a case that only someone like Han Ji-hyuk with all his baggage is the man for the job. 

What a bloody mess. How many more people are going to die before someone puts a stop to this hemorrhaging. 

I also thought the interrogation scene was very well done. Another occasion where I was reminded of Spooks.

I've been wondering about his partner, the intelligence analyst. I'm not saying that she's a mole although that's a possibility (can't rule that out at this early stage) but she could also be someone related to one of the dead agents. In some ways she seems out of place in that environment but let's hope that whatever she lacks in field experience and ability, she makes up for it with smarts.

Can't get over how good the start has been. No dilly dallying. Just how I like my thrillers done. Answer some questions, throw out some new ones. Make everyone look suspicious including the male lead. Move the plot along.

More dramas need to be 12 episodes. 

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Clapping Hands 4

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:54 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Can't get over how good the start has been. No dilly dallying. Just how I like my thrillers done. Answer some questions, throw out some new ones. Make everyone look suspicious including the male lead. Move the plot along.

More dramas need to be 12 episodes.

Agreed. The pace here is fast and there are no wasted scenes . They are showing you the story instead of telling you, which is great writing. (Awaken memories still haunt me ! ) The interrogation , the chaos caused at the police station and the car chase scene kept me at the edge of my seat.  True @Chocolate. The car chase was very well done - even Taxi Driver wasn't as believable. This PD has only done romance dramas from what I discovered - so I am amazed how good this is. Maybe has a good stunt PD.

The driver/ guide turned boss took me by surprise. Had a feeling he was up to no good when he secretly looked at Ji Hyuk while eating. So he had all this set up to get back at Ji Hyuk? Also another critical revelation - is  this the guy who is his informant in that botched mission? Looks like he turned  on Ji Hyuk.

Spoiler

wLvU9MK.png?1

I don't know at this point if we can 100% trust  both the female leads. Soo Yeon continues to vent her anger and keeps telling him to remember her warning. JH put her picture up in his bedroom along  with the other 3. So he is not ruling her out as the rat in the agency. I wonder if her anger is because her lover died and she blames JH for it. Anyhow I found it amusing that her make-up changed compared to the flashback. I suppose this Cleopatra look was to make her seem more mysterious.  I would like to see more of Soo Yeon as I really like Park Ha Sun. 

Then there's Je Yi. His partner who seems sincere &  wants to help. Can we buy her reason for her transfer is because she wanted experience in field work? From description , she's a KAIST graduate ( top university in SK for science & engineering) . So I am hoping her academic intelligence would translate to her being an asset to Ji Hyuk. It has crossed my mind that she may have ulterior motives about joining this department. 

-----------

The drama did superb for MBC. This past year has been very bad for them ratings wise. This is a new slot (Fri-Sat) for the channel and so hitting over 8% for the 2nd episode was fantastic. NGM as always is super dependable. Really not surprise if he will get a Daesang this year

Look at the budget they have. At least it is not wasted.

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 3