The Veil 검은 태양 [2021]

Darkarcana

@abs-oluteM

Yes, the footage of the gang members at the end of the surveillance feed is of the informant. But he and the gang are probably just the tip of the iceberg. I had my suspicions about him already so it wasn't a big surprise that he's part of the gang because he was well-placed to know what the NIS agents were doing in China and sell them out. It's a cutthroat environment and I'm sure he has to find a way to survive in it some way.

One of my theories is that the new partner Je-yi is linked to one of the dead agents. Whether it was Ji-hyuk's colleagues or the Bloody Friday(?)  debacle where a list of agents in North Korea were leaked and ended up being killed. Obviously the organisation is in a bad way.

I think we have to also be a little bit suspicious of Ji-hyuk as well because the drug-induced, self-afflicted amnesia can serve different purposes. At this early stage we can't really discount anything.

Frankly I think NGM is superb here although I see some complaints about his gait because of his beefed up look. Is it really a deal breaker if he walks a bit awkwardly?? Anyway, I can't say that I've watched that many dramas from the mainstream networks this year. Generally I like his script choices. Awaken probably sounded good and the brief looked good on paper -- which it did but the execution certainly left much to be desired.

• Clapping Hands 4

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I think we have to also be a little bit suspicious of Ji-hyuk as well because the drug-induced, self-afflicted amnesia can serve different purposes. At this early stage we can't really discount anything.

True. It has crossed my mind that he may also be the culprit (or had something to do with the deaths)  ever since it was revealed that he erased his own memories. I am still trying to figure out why Ji Hyuk thinks it is a good idea to not remember what happened in order to sniff out the mole. So that he can start things on a clean slate or something? 

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Frankly I think NGM is superb here although I see some complaints about his gait because of his beefed up look. Is it really a deal breaker if he walks a bit awkwardly??

Oh my ...I never realised it . I have no issues with his gait. What was quite interesting was that some ( knetz) accuse him of using drugs/ steroids to beef up this way. But others weighed in to say it looked natural. All I know is that he has been working quite hard for this show. 

From this article https://www.mk.co.kr/news/society/view/2021/09/904790/

Spoiler

Recently, there has been a lot of debate about Namgoong-min's bulking up and growing body.

Looking at Namgoong-min's body, Kim Seung-hyeon said, "It's not a body worthy of controversy over drugs," he said.

Ahn compared Namgoong-min's body in the past. In the past, he said he was skinny, but his body fat looked very low and he had a good body.

But recently, he ate six meals a day, a bodybuilding diet.

Those who evaluated the photos posted on Instagram later emphasized, "There is no drug controversy at all."

Ahn said, "Probably because of his sudden physical improvement, such suspicions arose."

He added, “I know that Namgoong-min has more than 20 years of athletic experience.

Previously, Namgoong-min revealed that he gained 14 kg in a short period of time before appearing in the drama 'Black Sun'. He recently appeared on 'I Live Alone' and revealed his daily life, such as exercising at the gym he attends.

• Clapping Hands 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

58 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I am still trying to figure out why Ji Hyuk thinks it is a good idea to not remember what happened in order to sniff out the mole. So that he can start things on a clean slate or something? 

Yes this. I hope they explain it during the course of the drama, because it doesn't make sense for now. It's such a big disadvantage not to have memories in an investigation.

In addition, there is obviously someone that the old Ji Hyuk has arranged to release information to the current JH - who can this be?

Re NGM's body, was it really necessary to bulk up so much? There was mention that there were signs of torture, so it would seem he was kidnapped before he escaped/was released. Shouldn't a person have lost weight in that period? Personally, I think he is too top-heavy. He has a smallish build compared to many Korean actors. But anyway, it's not really important to the story so whatever makes the actor and director happy is fine 🥰

Re suspects, I think likely none of these 4 is the one 😆

IiTpD0V.png?1

And do you notice that in k-dramas, they like to stick photos/draw relationship charts on the wall and back of the cupboard 😂 It's now the first place I would look 🤣

ppE4zzl.png?1

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

True. It has crossed my mind that he may also be the culprit (or had something to do with the deaths)  ever since it was revealed that he erased his own memories. I am still trying to figure out why Ji Hyuk thinks it is a good idea to not remember what happened in order to sniff out the mole. So that he can start things on a clean slate or something? 

That's what he says in the video. To reinvestigate things with fresh eyes.

@abs-oluteMand @Chocolate

One thing that came to me was the lie detector test. I imagine that he must have known that he would be interrogated, poked and prodded when he returned. My guess is that he didn't want to alert the mole, or give any impression that he knew anything at all in order to get the traitor to let his guard down. If he had planned all of this, I imagine he would have left himself all kinds of clues that will show up when he wants them to. He would obviously need help to set up this elaborate facade. This is why I thought of Total Recall. The sci-fi movie that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger. 

The amnesia is very inconvenient but it's also a good way to hide what he does know from people who may have ulterior motives for getting close to him. Of course I don't think it makes him less of a moving target but it might also cause the right people to do careless things.

I am curious about how he managed to survive when his colleagues didn't. We still don't really know what happened after he opened the door to the informant. Maybe the informant isn't the villain we suspect he is. Maybe he's gone undercover. It's possible. A lot depends on how reliable Ji-huk is as a point of view.

The success of this show will ultimately definitely depend on the skill of the writer.

I very much doubt NGM would be using steroids to bulk up. It's so unnecessary because he doesn't need it to for the purposes of making a drama. The reason why people took steroids was because of competition and money. It's not impossible for actors to bulk up over a short period of time. And vice versa. Christian Bale went from being a being emaciated (like a POW) in The Machinist to bulking up for Batman Begins.

I also don't think NGM needed to bulk up that much but when he threw the Korean-Russian gangbanger around like a rag doll, it kind of made sense.

• Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Just finished ep.1... took me a while to finish it, because I was going back and forth, trying to understand what happened to him. It's a slow first episode but good with the cliffhanger which made me want to continue.

NGM so handsome with his crew cut hairstyle... 

OQ0grQU.png

OST#1

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Party! 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

NGM has a whole room of fitness equipment at home, working out is probably like a passion/challenge for him so I really doubt he will use steroid to buff up. Although what is shown in the clip above is such lazy working out, LOL...

But even if he did use steroids, so what? If that’s what the role calls for... He is not competing as an athlete so he isn’t breaking any rules, is he? My only concern is whether he will keep that shape, which might limit his roles in future, or if he loses it, then his body may not look as good as before. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@ktcjdrama That OST is so nice! Everytime I visit here, I will play it then scroll or type 😍

Namgoong Min Finds Himself At The Mercy Of A Ruthless Mob Boss In “The Veil”

Sep 24, 2021 by E. Cha

Get ready for more nail-biting action in the next episode of “The Veil”!

“The Veil” is a new blockbuster action drama starring Namgoong Min as Han Ji Hyuk, an elite field agent whose perfect record and skill at completing missions make him a legend at the NIS (National Intelligence Service). However, just when he seemed to have finally succeeded in driving an organized crime syndicate into a corner, Han Ji Hyuk suddenly vanishes off the face of the earth following a horrific accident. After losing his memories and going missing for a year, he makes a bold return to the organization to find the traitor who attempted to kill his entire team.

Spoilers

In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming third episode, Han Ji Hyuk finds himself in the hands of the ruthless Hwayang mob boss Hwang Mo Sool (played by Sung No Jin). Tied up in a luxurious penthouse apartment with a sheet of plastic ominously placed under his chair, the agent’s life is visibly in danger as Hwang Mo Sool questions him with a menacing leer.

The-Veil1.jpegSung-No-Jin.jpegNamgoong-Min-21.jpegNamgoong-Min1.jpeg

The producers of “The Veil” teased, “In each episode of the drama, there will be a diverse array of entertainment, from the crime thriller genre to espionage and action. Additionally, you can also look forward to the NIS’s top field agent Han Ji Hyuk’s heroic action scenes.”

To find out how Han Ji Hyuk wound up being dragged all the way to Hwang Mo Sool’s penthouse—and whether he will be able to safely escape unscathed—tune in to the next episode of “The Veil” on September 24 at 10 p.m. KST!

Source

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 9/20/2021 at 11:40 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

One of my theories is that the new partner Je-yi is linked to one of the dead agents. Whether it was Ji-hyuk's colleagues or the Bloody Friday(?)  debacle where a list of agents in North Korea were leaked and ended up being killed. Obviously the organisation is in a bad way.

You are right on the money about Ye-Ji.  I also saw that coming. She seems way to soft to be an agent like JH is. JH also knows she is lying about why she want to be in the field.

Episode three awesome episode and watche JH kick some gnagster ass and we finally meet the master mind behid Hwang Mang Soo's drug smuggling. We find out that this is all a ruse for a political campaign coming up through the use of their children. By ruining the party's reputation.

Seo Soo-Yeon really got on my nerves and feel that her animosity towards Ji-Hyuk is absurd and annoying because imo her anger shouldn't be on him or the type of person he is. From flashbacks her boo cared for both of his partners and had no hatred towards them. He seemed to work very well together. If there were any animosity between them we would have seen it. 

I wonder does his nightmare of his past a red herring or a part of this conspiracy of what is happening now. 

I love meeting Linwei ( chinese informant). I lvoed the way she addressed that his mood has changed since the accident. I think she is just a perceptive as Ye-Ji coming to understand Ji-Hyuks way of completing a mission. 

Ha Dong Kyun - WOW this guy realy makes me nervous because I wonder would he help JI Hyuk if he was in danger and I am starting think not. 

@abs-oluteM I just finishe watching it.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

5 hours ago, UnniSara said:

Seo Soo-Yeon really got on my nerves and feel that her animosity towards Ji-Hyuk is absurd and annoying because imo her anger shouldn't be on him or the type of person he is. From flashbacks her boo cared for both of his partners and had no hatred towards them. He seemed to work very well together. If there were any animosity between them we would have seen it. 

I am disappointed so far with what we have seen with SSY . Is this really what Park Ha Sun signed up for? I have a soft spot for her , and am hoping she's not just a redundant character. In fact I read a Naver article which somewhat criticize that the FLs in this show are bland.  3 episodes in there's only been one dimension to SSY - angry at JH for her fiancé's death. Like come on, she's a lead character and there has to be more to this. At least in this episode we got to understand a bit more of Je Yi's intentions and it seems she is actually trying to find out more about her father's death ( or was he missing.)

I can understand why now NGM's been working out so hard -  there are a lot of action scenes that he had to be involved in. The torture  and fight scene were pretty intense. I am sure he has a double doing the hard stuff but still plenty of close ups would require his involvement. 

New stills

109410710.1.jpg

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Just finished ep.3... No wonder it has to be rated 19. Bloody and brutal is the word. The fight scenes are awesome though. This is the first time I actually replayed fight scenes to see what happened, lol... 

Looking forward to next episode. 

5 hours ago, UnniSara said:

Seo Soo-Yeon really got on my nerves and feel that her animosity towards Ji-Hyuk is absurd and annoying because imo her anger shouldn't be on him or the type of person he is

I have to agree on this. So I hope starting next episode they will develop her character more. Because for now, she is nothing but an angry woman. Otherwise it’ll be a waste casting Park Ha Sun for the role. 

OST#2

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2

MTDzeiV.gif

2 hours ago, Darkarcana said:

pointer 1, it is also possible that there are different reasons as to why his family gets killed. Or maybe the memories were altered if it’s even possible.

I agree to some not all comment. 
1. Ji Hyuk was already suffer from PTSD, I wonder where his PTSD started from is it from childhood or work related???

2. I don’t think we need to even think on “IF HE IS TRUST WORTHY” his only goal is to find the Traitor in the organization. 
3.We also no there has been a lot of agents that has expired with unknown reasons. The company doesn’t even know his partner is the daughter of one agent that has expired already. 
4. I think his past must connected to everything that is going on now.

5. Yes the person helping JH may also be the one who saved him amd is helping him now. 

6. He erase his memories logically he does need someone to help and with hjm not having his memories better help him solve the case because of he is a black slate and kee his emotions in check without any outsiders manipulation. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

4 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

@Darkarcana @UnniSara Wait, regarding childhood memories, are you referring to Han Ji Hyuk? I don't remember seeing anything on this at all 😲 Where was it mentioned?

I am trying to recall as well did I miss something while watching...

• Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

5 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am trying to recall as well did I miss something while watching...

Yes he actually have it, cause I remember that scene where he is in this house making pancakes and then I think I remember hearing him say mom or dad then someone gets shot. Have y’all missed that 😅

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif

12 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I don't remember pancakes as well! Was this in episode 3 - 1st or 2nd half?

I Er. Cause the scene was rather quick I didn’t remember Er…I think it’s the part he realised the person is the spy that he was talking to a year ago then he faints and wakes up Int the hospital that part. beginning of ep 3 we see his kid self as for pancakes it has to do with the earlier episodes

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif

19 hours ago, Chocolate said:

@Darkarcana @UnniSara Wait, regarding childhood memories, are you referring to Han Ji Hyuk? I don't remember seeing anything on this at all 😲 Where was it mentioned?

Chingu @Chocolatefirst time  Han Ji-Hyuk had the nightmare was when he first got home after his debrief and fell a sleep. He woke up from the nightmare in his bed and then took his medication for PTSD.  The next time he had the nightmare was after getting into a car accident with Hwang Mo Sool. He went back to to the percent  and watched the video and saw his informant. He past out in from of the police stations woke up in the hospital. You saw him do the twitching sign.  Important info  Foe of Han Ji-Hulyuk  thanks to guy on payroll 

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886aa09d4bd12ba11ba8e

SS needs a life because she is about to be handled  lol 

Spoiler

Hwang Mo-Sool is a puppet and the actor is doing a good job playing an unhinged drug gang  leader 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Finally an episode where we are getting more of SSY's intentions. I was getting annoyed that she was throwing a hissy fit each time she met JH - and she wanted to make it seem like JH was the one who botched up the entire operation and caused the death of  her fiancé. But then eps 4's ending is keen to make her look like the rat that Ji Hyuk is looking for. Were all those angry confrontations her way of covering up what she did? However I wonder though if her constantly telling JH to stay out of things is her way of protecting him. It looks like she is  equally trying to investigate things as well. 

So far Ye Ji seems rather trustworthy. While she is inexperienced, she's a quick thinker (and learner) and has proven to be useful to JH. At least for now we know her loyalties is to JH. 

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 4