The Veil 검은 태양 [2021]

Darkarcana

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

So summary is that we're all somewhat confused but we're intrigued enough ( likely thanks to NGM) to keep watching. For what it's worth , I prefer this way more than Awaken. :laugh:

Arghhh I don’t even want to think about Awaken.

Was waiting like a fool for some cold/warm fuzzy romance and what?? Twins!!:lol:

Edited by Rina
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Hope...

Sometimes that's all you have when you have nothing else.

53 minutes ago, Rina said:

Was waiting like a fool for some cold/warm fuzzy romance and what?? Twins!!:lol:

ahahah IKR..

Spoiler

I was completely fooled by the tension they were trying to sell between Lee Chung Ah & his character.

-----------------

I have finished with subs but I don't know if I know more than I do compared to last week. The strongest running theory out there is probably that JH had deliberately erased his memories because he didn't want to be caught as the one that shot his colleagues and betrayed the NIS.

However, I am not sure if I can buy this until we know if Sungmohoe is really the villain organisation here? While they seem to work against the NIS, I wonder if they are the dark knight. From what I have seen , the NIS seems to be full of power hungry officials who are securing political favours and manipulating election results. They are the king maker since they have access to lots of sensitive & confidential data. All the donations to that defunct Korea Reseach organisation coincided with the election years. 

And if SY really died , honestly what was the point of her character?  It added no value to the plot except that it was someone that both JiHyuk and Kang seem to have some sort of history with. Also I think JY was being too rash herself in approaching Dep Commissioner Do.  Lee Il Hwan has cleverly used this situation to pull her to his side. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

15 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

And if SY really died , honestly what was the point of her character?  It added no value to the plot except that it was someone that both JiHyuk and Kang seem to have some sort of history with. Also I think JY was being too rash herself in approaching Dep Commissioner Do.  Lee Il Hwan has cleverly used this situation to pull her to his side. 

Even if SY didn't die, what's the point of her character? Sorry to ask this since most of you seem to like the actress 😊

Tried to glean some pointers from this reviewer but I think he is as confused as us 🤣 Or the subs is really bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Just now, Chocolate said:

Even if SY didn't die, what's the point of her character? Sorry to ask this since most of you seem to like the actress 😊

Good point. That was why I was excited in eps 6 when I thought we were finding out more about what it is that she was supposed to do ( instead of being angry all the time ) ...then  they shot her. LOL. 

Like is she the mole? Or perhaps she works for Sungmohoe? There was even a comment I read about her being the boss (unlikely ). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

32 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Sungmohoe is really the villain organisation here

Idk why..but I kinda felt that NIS is the bad guy...cause they be dumping agents left and right that is why JY's bro(?) Hacked the nis as a revenge plot. So honestly I don't think NIS is as good as it seems to be. Let's not even start on how they have internal battles.

I think S group is like a grey group. They are probably making a 'save' tarven for defects that NIS had dump but equally they do illegal stuff..

@abs-oluteMI even read that someone was speculating what if JH was in that S group and I was like..errrr

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif

12 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Like is she the mole? Or perhaps she works for Sungmohoe? There was even a comment I read about her being the boss (unlikely ). 

Since she was brought in by Kang Pil Ho, likely they were working together - for Sungmuhoe?

But now Kang looks like he was attacked and placed in that car that was trying to run-down JH. How are they controlling the car by remote? It's similar to Je Yi's friend who worked at Planet, whose car hit the guardrail.

So who's attacking them? And why?

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 2
14 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

But now Kang looks like he was attacked and placed in that car that was trying to run-down JH. How are they controlling the car by remote? It's similar to Je Yi's friend who worked at Planet, whose car hit the guardrail.

The remote thing is possible . The drama has already revealed a number of secret (high security) technologies such as the Deep Fake etc. The way they were tracking Ji Hyuk and Je Yi - it was freaky they knew her favorite macarons and his favourite water brand.  What information did JY's friend know that she had to die? The issue I have now is that new characters and names keep getting thrown out in every episode that I find myself struggling to remember the details. LOL

@Darkarcana if we do go by the theory that Ji Hyuk is the one that killed his colleagues, it will not be too farfetched that he is part of the S Group. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Maybe the story is simpler than we speculated since its only 12 episodes? Don’t know?

And what’s the point of SY character or rather PHS casting as FL. To attract viewers to catch the drama having NGM and PHS pairing. Once we get hooked to the drama she can get flushed down the toilet haha… Hers is like a friendship cameo appearance.

:JuiceGhost:

Most of us viewers would have watched it for NGM alone, poor girl!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hope...

So they remembered there’s another FL haha…an afterthought.

Can’t they just incorporate these characters development/stories and make it a 14-episode drama?

Edited by Rina
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Hope...

53 minutes ago, Rina said:

So they remembered there’s another FL haha…an afterthought.

Can’t they just incorporate these characters development/stories and make it a 14-episode drama?

PHS really got a bad deal on this one. I don't even understand why they needed to have PHS then as the lead. Could have just said it was a supporting character. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

“In particular, we thought there needed to be an explanation regarding Seo Soo Yeon’s drastic transformation, her change in feelings, and back story. We wanted to separately show stories that didn’t make the 12-episode main series so we had the spin-off in mind from the beginning when we started it.”

Come on! Dear producers, from the beginning??

:lol:
Instead explain why PHS is casted as SY. I watched promo clip where NGM and PHS did together as the main leads before the show airs and attracted to their chemistry.

Edited by Rina
  • Haha 4

Hope...

“The Veil” Previews NIS Agents’ Tense Struggle For Power During Emergency Meeting

Oct 15, 2021 by L. Kim

MBC’s “The Veil” has shared an intriguing sneak peek of its upcoming episode!

“The Veil” is a blockbuster spy drama starring Namgoong Min as Han Ji Hyuk, an elite field agent whose perfect record and skill at completing missions make him a legend at the NIS (National Intelligence Service). However, just when he seemed to have finally succeeded in driving an organized crime syndicate into a corner, Han Ji Hyuk suddenly vanishes off the face of the earth. After losing his memories and going missing for a year, he makes a bold return to the organization to find the traitor who attempted to kill his entire team.

Spoilers

On the previous episode of “The Veil,” Han Ji Hyuk finally came face to face with the mysterious Baek Mo Sa (played by Yoo Oh Sung) after a life-threatening chase. In addition, a video of Han Ji Hyuk leaving a message to himself in the past was released, and it was revealed that his colleague Kim Dong Wook (Jo Bok Rae), who died a year ago, was secretly communicating with an insider traitor.

As the story flows in an unpredictable direction, the drama unveiled new stills of NIS officials holding an emergency meeting. Some of the agents who attended the meeting are Do Jin Sook (Jang Young Nam), NIS’s second deputy director, Bang Young Chan (Kim Byung Gi), the director of NIS, and Ha Dong Kyun (Kim Do Hyun), head of the NIS Crime Information Center.

The NIS executives are looking at something with serious expressions. Soon, an unexpected scene unfolds before them, shocking everyone. At the same time, Han Ji Hyuk is also watching something with anxious eyes. What is the emergency meeting about, and what new events are in store for Han Ji Hyuk?

the-veil-4.jpgthe-veil-3.jpgthe-veil-21.jpgthe-veil-1.jpg

The production team hinted that the power relationship within the NIS that has gone through many twists and turns will be a key point to keep an eye out for in the upcoming episodes. They said, “We hope you will watch and see what important role Han Ji Hyuk’s existence will play in this war where the winner is unknown. The truth that will surprise everyone as well as fun that exceeds the expectations of viewers awaits in episode 9, so please tune in to the drama.”

Source

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SPOILERS for Eps 9

Remember our speculation about JH being the one who killed his colleagues? 

LOOK what just happened...:Mimed:

Do Jin-suk (Jang Young-nam) tried to make a tangent with Baek Mo-sa (Yoo Oh-seong). “There was something I really wanted to say. All of this stems from a misunderstanding. I want to explain what happened that day,” Do Jin-sook tried to explain.

However, the NIS already knew of the contact between the two, and even deployed a sniper. Ji-hyeok tried to protect the two by visiting the site of the encounter, and Je Yi  (Kim Ji-eun) informed Han Ji-hyuk of the location of the sniper.

Han Ji-hyeok found the sniper and interfered with the sniper, and Baek Mo-sa detonated a bomb that had been pre-installed. Han Ji-hyeok ran to Baek Mosa  and pointed a gun at heim and said, "I don't want to kill you. Why did you come here?” he said.

"Baek Mosa has only one purpose for me. Finding and destroying enemies. I never changed. The environment has changed,” he said.  When Baek Mosa, “We are actually alike,” Han Ji-hyuk asked, “Do you know me?”

“I know you very well. Maybe more than you know yourself .” Baek said, “Think about it. Are you doing this for your colleague? Is it for yourself? Depending on that, the target of revenge will be different.” Baek Mosa then said, “There is no need to be in a hurry. Soon, the past will come to life and bite your neck.” Then he disappeared.

Han Ji-hyeok was in agony as he remembered that Jang Cheon-woo (Jung Moon-seong) had said the same thing the other day.

Yoo Je Yi , who turned away from Han Ji-hyuk, was actually a strategy to deceive Lee In-hwan (Lee Kyung-young). While digging for information from Lee In-hwan's side, Yoo Je Yi  asked Han Ji-hyeok to make a deal to save Baek Mo-sa.

After Baek Mo-sa disappeared, Han Ji-hyuk went to Do Jin-sook and asked why, saying, "You gave Dong-wook an individual mission." Do Jin-sook said, "I knew that Mo-Baek and In-Hwan Lee were going to do something big together. I would have done it if the only way to stop planned exile was to kill Ri Dong-cheol. But I did not give such instructions.”

Do Jin-sook said, "If Ri Dong-cheol refused to threaten and tried to expose the truth to the outside, wouldn't Lee In-hwan try to cover it up even by killing him?" Do Jin-suk  insisted on her innocence.

As Han Ji-hyeok put together the mixed memories, he said, “Jang Chun-woo was there. The only thing that could give orders to Jang Chun-woo was the executive committee. Then he came to the conclusion that what made our team that way was…” Han Ji-hyeok freezes Kang Yong-tae (Jung Min-seong) and calms him. It's a second job. It was a check in against a well-known truck driver.”

When they reached the conclusion that 'The Rat in the NIS ' was Lee In-hwan, Yoo Je-yi and Han Ji-hyeok became confused. "Dad. Was it Lee In-hwan's action a year ago?" Yoo Je Yi wondered  and said to Han Ji-hyuk, "Our colleague... right?" Han Ji-hyuk said that Seo Su-yeon (Park Ha-sun) said, 'You never accepted us as colleagues. You didn't say anything, recalling the memory of accusing you of chasing after your goal."

Han Ji-hyeok, who learned that Planet was related  election interference, went to their office  and tried to extract the data. However, Lee In-hwan also came and mocked Han Ji-hyuk, saying, “The ending was wrong.” Lee In-hwan kidnapped Yoo Je Yi and threatened Han Ji-hyuk.

At a moment of crisis, a phone call came from Kang Pil-ho (Kim Jong-tae), who had regained consciousness. Before coming to Planet, Han Ji-hyuk had asked, "If I fail to find evidence of the second chief, I will release the video I sent in the past."

The video released when the National Intelligence Service Director and Do Jin-suk gathered in one place contained a shocking message, "Han Ji-hyeok, you were the one who killed your colleagues!" Han Ji-hyuk was shocked and terrified to find out that he was the real culprit who killed Dong-wook (Jo Bok-rae) and Kyung-seok (Hwang-hee).

Viewers were astonished at the true identity of the criminal. “I thought it wasn’t Han Ji-hyuk, but it’s true”, “Isn’t Seo Su-yeon finding out the reason for Han Ji-hyeok’s murder?” and “There must be a reason why Han Ji-hyuk killed his colleague.”

http://enews.imbc.com/News/RetrieveNewsInfo/327963

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

Talk about massive fail! To broadcast to all that you are the killer 😅 This reminds me of the adage - never ask a question that you don’t know the answer to.

I finally realised something odd about this drama. The supporting actors are really just… supporting. They don’t contribute much to the story except just being there.

When you watch Hot Stove League or Squid Game or many other dramas, there is depth to the surrounding core characters, no matter how brief it is. The character itself is important/necessary to the story. This makes a great ensemble cast.

For “The Veil”, there isn’t. For example, is the character of So Yeon necessary? How about Kang? Everything is centralised on Ji Hyuk. The rest are… just there. We don’t feel anything for them. And it’s like, even if the character was removed, it doesn’t affect the storyline much.

I enjoy watching Namgoong Min and the action sequences have been good. Other than that, I wonder how the script won the competition. Unless the rest were much worse 😂

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Well, I couldn't finish ep.9... I don't know what I'm watching anymore other than NGM. There are too many charactes/names to remember, and what happened to who and who, between who and who is mostly told in narration. Like if you don't make notes, you won't remember anymore who is who. I think I'm just going to watch clips and read recaps/review...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

Namgoong Min Doesn’t Give Up His Search To Find His Real Enemy In “The Veil”

Oct 16, 2021 by L. Kim

Namgoong Min will come face to face with both Jang Young Nam and Lee Kyung Young in the next episode of “The Veil”!

“The Veil” is a blockbuster spy drama starring Namgoong Min as Han Ji Hyuk, an elite field agent whose perfect record and skill at completing missions make him a legend at the NIS (National Intelligence Service). However, just when he seemed to have finally succeeded in driving an organized crime syndicate into a corner, Han Ji Hyuk suddenly vanishes off the face of the earth. After losing his memories and going missing for a year, he makes a bold return to the organization to find the traitor who attempted to kill his entire team.

Spoilers

On the previous episode, Han Ji Hyuk asked Kang Pil Ho (played by Kim Jong Tae) to play a video he had recorded for himself one year ago – before erasing his own memory – in front of all the high-ranking officials at the agency. However, to everyone’s shock, the video featured Han Ji Hyuk saying, “The person who killed your colleagues that day… was you, Han Ji Hyuk.”

With this unexpected turn of events, things are expected to grow more intense. On October 16, the drama unveiled new stills of Han Ji Hyuk meeting both Lee In Hwan (Lee Kyung Young) and Do Jin Sook (Jang Young Nam). First, Han Ji Hyuk sits down to talk with Lee In Hwan, who has been suffocating Han Ji Hyuk and his partner Yoo Je Yi (Kim Ji Eun) due to his lust for power. What will Lee In Hwan tell Han Ji Hyuk, and how is he related to the Shenyang case that happened a year ago?

namgoong-min-32.jpgnamgoong-min-21.jpglee-kyung-young-1.jpg

The confrontation between Han Ji Hyuk and Do Jin Sook, who resigned from her position as NIS’s second deputy director, is also intriguing. Previously, Han Ji Hyuk had accused her as the person who instigated the crisis that led to his colleagues’ death, but she had strongly denied it. However, Han Ji Hyuk is still suspicious of her, and the contrast of emotions between a doubtful Han Ji Hyuk and a relaxed Do Jin Sook creates a strange atmosphere in the room.

the-veil-22.jpgjang-young-nam-1.jpgnamgoong-min-12.jpg

The drama’s producers teased, “After the shocking statement that the person who killed his colleagues was ‘himself,’ everything has fallen into a labyrinth. However, Han Ji Hyuk doesn’t stop his investigation to find the real enemy. It will be interesting to infer whether the person behind all these secrets is Lee In Hwan, Do Jin Sook, or an unexpected third person.”

Source: Soompi

• Like 3

Dunno to laugh or cry....:psweatduck:

So Ji Hyuk did kill Dong wook but it was because he was suspicious of DW who had shot Kyeong Seok and was also standing over Ri Dong Cheol's body. DW is saying that KS is the mole / rat.  As JH and DW were talking  Chang Chun Woo was going to shoot JH from the back, DW fired his gun to protect JH , and JH fired at DW thinking the latter was trying to kill him.

AND....he erased his own memories because he felt guilty for accidentally killing DW & at the same time wanted revenge on whoever who caused his team to end up this way.  This is what I understand. 

Longer recap here:

On this day, Han Ji-hyuk learned that it was he who killed his colleagues through his past self in the video.

Oh Kyung-seok (Hwang Hee), Kim Dong-wook (Cho Bok-rae), and Ji-hyeok, who were operating in China, heard from Lee Chun-gil (Lee Jae-gyun) that "there is someone leaking information between them."

Following Chun-gil's advice to "keep it a secret from your colleagues and block external contact," Ji-hyeok moved to another area, where he spied on the secret affairs of Jang Cheon-woo (Jung Moon-sung), Baek Mo-sa (Yu Oh-seong), and Ri Dong-cheol. However, Ji-hyuk made eye contact with Baek Mo-sa through the telescope, and he even greeted him by hand.

In response, Oh Kyung-seok suggested, "Let's get our hands on it," but Kim Dong-wook insisted on eradicating the rats inside, saying, "The internal forces are behind it. The election is soon. In the conflict between the two, Ji-hyeok ordered, "I will not directly intervene, but I will continue to monitor Ri Dong-cheol until I figure out what's going on."

In a situation where he could not trust his colleague, Ji-hyeok witnessed Kyung-seok communicating with Seo Su-yeon (Park Ha-sun) (the two were in a relationship then) . However, Kyung-seok said, "I was talking privately." He told Ji Hyeok , "Dongwook-hyung seems nervous. Please pay attention to him."

During the operation to monitor Ri Dong-cheol, the radio suddenly cut off, and Kim Dong-wook was standing in front of the dead Ri Dong-cheol. Dong-wook, who saw Ji-hyeok, claimed with his blood-stained hands, "It's not me," and had to hide from the crowd of North Korean personnel. Ji-hyeok witnessed Jang Cheon-woo (Jung Moon-sung) leaving the hotel.

Kim Dong-wook and Oh Kyung-seok faced each other with guns. Kyung-seok said, "I have to get out of here," and reached out to Dong-wook, who had a gun pointed at him, and extended his hand, "Be with us even now." However, without hesitation, Dong-wook shot Kyeong-seok in the forehead and killed him instantly.

Han Ji-hyuk, surprised by this, pointed his gun at Dong-wook. Dongwook claimed his innocence, saying, "I'll explain everything. If I didn't shoot, we would have suffered." He said, "You may not believe it, but there was a private organization inside us. Kyung-seok was following their instructions. He was one with the people who planned to let Ri Dong-cheol enter the country."

In the tense atmosphere, Kim Dong-wook said he should answer the phone call from his wife, but Ji-hyeok did not allow it. “If you don’t believe it, just shoot it,” he said, putting his hand in his inner pocket and pulling the trigger towards Ji-hyeok, and Ji-hyeok, who had a bullet in his face, fired three shots at Dong-wook.

But behind Ji-hyeok, Jang Cheon-woo had fallen. Dongwook was trying to protect Jihyuk. And on Dong-wook's cell phone he checked, there was a picture of Dong-wook's wife holding a child.

Ji-hyeok was tormented, saying, "The doubt has swallowed me and us." Afterwards, he tried to find and avenge the inner rat, but he couldn't find the answer even with hypotheses. Feeling like a puzzle with one piece missing, he recalled the sealed childhood memories and gradually turned into a monster.

Ji-hyeok's plan is to erase his own memory, kill "himself" , and return him to the organization to find and avenge the people who made him this way. In the video, Jihyeok said, "I am not you. I am no longer alive. Yes, my only purpose is revenge." He said, "You must kill the person who concludes that you are a rat."

Han Ji-hyeok reflexively aimed a gun at Lee In-hwan (Lee Kyung-young), but Yoo Jae-yi (Kim Ji-eun) blocked In-hwan with her whole body. Then she shouted to Ji-hyeok, "Calm down." In the end, Han Ji-hyuk was arrested.

At Jae Yi's words, "I believe you,  senior," Jihyuk couldn't hide his empty eyes, saying, "I came all the way here to find the traitor who killed my colleague, but in the end, I was what I was looking for." “I am a murderer who killed a colleague. For my revenge, I erased my memories and used myself as a tool of revenge. I am that kind of person.”

Jae Yi  continued to show his trust to Ji-hyeok, who had a hard time, and said, “You are our

colleague.” 

https://www.tvreport.co.kr/2081842

• Like 1
  • Haha 2