Yumi's Cells 유미의 세포들 Season 1 [2021] + Season 2 [2022]

Jane

Episode 3-4

I'm surprised Babi and Yumi got together so early in the drama. Come to think of it I don't even know how many episodes are this season. :pandascared: Hmm, think it's 14 episodes. Ok, it's still early for a 14 episodes. And by episode 4 it already looks like there is a time jump with Yumi's hair much longer. What annoys me more is the appearance of Woong (so soon!) at the end of episode 4. Please please please don't become a hindrance to the relationship. It's also worrisome that it wasn't Yumi's Love cell that drive Yumi's feelings towards the relationship with Babi. It also worries me that Babi seems like a rebound when Emotion cell says dating Babi helps Yumi forget Woong. Seems like a foreshadowing of the sort to me 😰

Episode 5 Preview

7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Beginning of episode 14

:laugh: You’re disoriented because of the great kisses, huh? Jumping to ep.14 already? Hahahaa... But yeah, I agree, he indeed is skillful in kissing. I won’t go into dissecting the kiss, but can tell he is a pro 😆

7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

What annoys me more is the appearance of Woong (so soon!) at the end of episode 4.

I am so conflicted though... why I kinda wish that they can get back together? I blame the song playing in the background 😆

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Babi is such a perfect boyfriend that you wonder if he is too good to be true??

Ep.5 was fine, saying final goodbye to Woong. I guess that will be the last we see of him. I totally feel Yumi’s cells when seeing Woong again. The longing and sadness of not being able to be together. It was hard to forget and let Woong go, probably because we have seen a lot of his cells as well, like we know him much better. We haven’t seen much of Babi cells and he feels more like a stranger since we haven’t gotten to know him as well as we know the inner Woong. However, saying proper and final goodbye to Woong is really for the better. As we can see that their personalities won’t compliment each other well. 

I think Babi will be the end game. The rest of the show is probably going to show us more of him, and how Yumi can be more sure of Babi being the one for her. I wish we can have more of Babi alone scenes though, and know his inner thoughts. As an audience, I still feel quite a distance with his character. He still seems to me a support role because we don’t have enough alone scenes of him to get to know him better. 

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@ktcjdrama I feel like I'm going on a roller coaster in episode 5. There was so much of Woong, and so little of Babi. And yes, Babi is being such a good boyfriend when his Love Cell decided to let Yumi go to Woong. I mean, that was very big of him... on a Christmas Eve, where a couple had planned to make dinner and eat together. Under normal circumstances, anyone would be upset. I do think Babi fears he'll lose Yumi as well, especially when he chose not to tell her he's met Woong. However, in that very moment, he chose to trust her. The relief and how happy he looks when she comes back to him was telling. That scene really had my heart flutter... or it's just Jin Young flashing his charm... ahahaha!

You are right that we still haven't gotten to see more of Babi's cells. We've only really met 4 of them. This relationship keeps giving me a feeling of roller coaster ride because of the break up, which now has been revealed to be less than a year. Meaning Yumi actually embarked on a new relationship pretty soon after her breakup with Woong.

------

Goodness, these two episodes are like suspense thriller to me. LOL 😅 Meet the parents and then Yumi's internal drama on Babi being a rich heir. LMAO. I totally forgot the character description I read about Babi in S1 that even I was freaking out along with Yumi, especially when Babi made it look like he's refusing to share more about his family background.

I get that this is about the story of Yumi and her cells. But S1 have an equal amount of both Yumi and Woong's cells at works however there is so little of Babi and his inner thoughts in S2. We're half way through S2 now, and there's actually very little of their love story going smoothly and more elements of challenges each week (this week Woong and her parents), next week is Da Eun, who will trigger Yumi's jealousy and potentially cause an issue to their relationship.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

And yes, Babi is being such a good boyfriend when his Love Cell decided to let Yumi go to Woong. I mean, that was very big of him...

Yeah, reminded me of that famous quote "if you love someone, set them free. If they come back, they'll be yours forever. If they don't, they never meant to be". That was a really mature decision by Babi. 

The relief and how happy he looks when she comes back to him was telling. That scene really had my heart flutter... or it's just Jin Young flashing his charm... ahahaha!

I really love this scene too. His beaming face as he rushed to open the door... That, and Jin Young of course, haha...

But S1 have an equal amount of both Yumi and Woong's cells at works however there is so little of Babi and his inner thoughts in S2.

Precisely! That's why I keep feeling like I don't know Babi enough to root for him. 

more elements of challenges each week (this week Woong and her parents), next week is Da Eun, who will trigger Yumi's jealousy and potentially cause an issue to their relationship.

I actually think this might be what the focus of remaining of the drama will be, ie. to show how their relationship would be able to withstand all kind of issues. I assume Yumi will still be her not-so-confident self, but Babi will keep on assuring her that he is devoted to her, then a growth in Yumi, then wedding bells... ?? He's been so supportive of her. Like coming over to cheer her up, thinking she would be in despair not making it through the competition, yet without saying anything about the matter. Just being by her side, being around for her. That was so sweeeet... Not to mention the kisses and stuff :love:

• Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I actually think this might be what the focus of remaining of the drama will be, ie. to show how their relationship would be able to withstand all kind of issues. I assume Yumi will still be her not-so-confident self, but Babi will keep on assuring her that he is devoted to her, then a growth in Yumi, then wedding bells... ?? He's been so supportive of her. Like coming over to cheer her up, thinking she would be in despair not making it through the competition, yet without saying anything about the matter. Just being by her side, being around for her. That was so sweeeet... Not to mention the kisses and stuff :love:

I really like what you said here, and I honestly hope so too. As long as there is no season 3 then we're good. Hahaha! And yes, him going to see her and cheer her up was so so so sweet.

• Heart Eyes 1

BTS

The chief editor's cells... OMG. It's so weird. LOLLLL.

Babi and Yumi were sooooo sweet in episode 7 I just can't and then Da Eun has to come and break the peace! Gaaaah. Now I don't know how to feel about all this now. *sniff* And they only were together for one year! > <"

Seriously this scene was one of the sweetest, ever.

Episode 9-10

I'm devastated with the development of Yumi and Babi's relationship. I was hoping the drama wouldn't head the same way as the webtoon since there was no news about S3, and Babi and Yumi were just too sweet and lovey-dovey to be parting ways! The drama painted Babi to be such a good, attentive, gentle and supportive boyfriend to Yumi that I genuinely want him to be the endgame for her. And then all went to hell with the introduction of Da Eun! /flip table.

I'm conflicted of how people view of Babi—Da Eun situation. Many Netizens online condemned him for mentally cheating on Yumi. So does this mean those of us who are always swooning at Oppa deul, or had crush in real life when in a relationship or married but never acted on it considered mentally cheating on our partners too? I honestly don't believe we can 100% not be shaken by someone we feel a little fond of in real life.

Babi didn't act on his feelings or allow it to manifest. He decided to move so there won't be any temptation. He's making an effort. I get that as the opposite sex, it would be hurtful to know this and I hate Da Eun for telling Yumi this. What the hell was she thinking? I understand what happened was Yumi's taboo, maybe this is because she had been cheated once before so perhaps knowing this broke the trust she has for Babi. As for Babi, his heart was still loyal to Yumi is what I'm seeing. He was happy to see her on their video calls. And I just can't unsee the good in him for the things he had done for Yumi. Yumi complained about Ctrl+Z's rudeness and the cake, Babi goes online and ordered several cakes and have it delivered to her before she gets home to cheer her up. That was a really lovely gesture even in real life I know I'll never have. In contrast, we don't see what Yumi has done for Babi for this 1 year+ relationship.

Understanding this is a drama about Yumi and the focus is her growth and development through different life stages. I see her growth and change — I can't say it is for the better but she definitely went from putting love/boyfriend in top 1 priority to herself after going through several failed relationship with the cheating ex, Woong and now Babi.

I have no issue with Yumi putting herself in priority and love herself more; however, I don't think the choices she made were always right or unhurtful to someone else. I find S2 has a significant shift in Yumi's mindset for love. For instance, Babi was a rebound to stop herself from wallowing in the painful breakup with Woong. I also didn't think it was right of her to ditch Babi on a Christmas Eve where she and Babi had promise to spend time together. I understand she didn't want to be cruel to Woong and let him wait but a simple text telling him to meet another day would suffice. I'm happy for her she gave their relationship an official closure but this can wait because leaving Babi aside was disrespectful. And any normal boyfriend would have cracked the sh*t and Babi didn't. And the drama never told us if Yumi ever told Babi that was Woong she went to see.

My other gripe with Yumi was her decision to quit her job. Babi was the one who introduced her to the Marketing team, and as her boyfriend, she should at least let him know in advance that she is quitting the job. There was no discussion whatsoever with Babi on this.

The other issue with S2 is the lack of Babi's inner thoughts. There was hardly much of Babi's inner thoughts and his cells activities compared to Woong's. This made Babi a lot more one dimensional. I love their love scenes and the kisses were good but I definitely was hoping to get to know Babi on a more personal level like we get to know of Woong in S1. This part is definitely a huge let down. 

We have 4 episodes left so the hope to get to know more of Babi and his cells is scarce since after all, this is a story about Yumi. In the webtoon, Yumi is supposed to reject Woong and date Babi again for a short time before breaking up because she no longer loves him. Then she meets Editor Shin Soon Rok.

Episode 11-12

Yumi's Cells is seriously stressing me out each week. 😅 Mostly because I have no idea whether we will have S3. If we do, then Babi is definitely NOT the endgame then I wouldn't need to have this roller coaster emotions/feelings each week. In this sense, I say the Show is doing a fantastic job dangling a carrot at me every single week.

Woong's screen time is getting a little too much as well. I never dislike Woong but his behaviour in S2 had not been very likable. From my perspective, I don't like that he bought all those novels from the shelves making Yumi thinks her novels were really well-received. Then he goes around different websites leaving positive comments. Granted the novel might really be good, but his comments are biased so I can't helped but doubt whether the comments are true. The last blow for me was at the hospital with Babi. I already wasn't very impressed he tried to show off to Yumi he's successful last week, and this week he does it to Babi. And exactly like Babi said, he was being petty and childish. It made him look very pathetic.

I'm not sure what the Show is trying to do with Woong here. Are they planning to make him the endgame by having him hanging around Yumi so much? Or he's just a plot device to bring Yumi and Babi back together?

Yumi and Babi got back together but my heart couldn't be at ease because Babi turned into a paper man before her eyes for a split moment. It didn't help that after getting back together, they've been awkward with one another and there were no intimacy or affections... which led to both feeling if it was a bad idea to get back together again.

The above scene was very well-done. I was completely in love with that one tear hanging off Jin Young's left eye ♥. But I don't know if the timing for proposal is the right choice. I can't help but wonder if this is Babi's desperate attempt to hang onto the last thread of their broken relationship.

What confuses me is in the webtoon Yumi doesn't love Babi anymore and she broke up with him. There was no mention of Babi ever got into an accident and Yumi's reactions in the drama to all of this doesn't seem like she doesn't care/love Babi. It seems like the drama has deviated from the webtoon here so I can't predict where this is all going.

I'm still disappointed with the Production Team for not exploring Babi's cell villages. It's looked lazy that Jin Young had to do voice over to tell us Babi's inner thoughts in E11, whereas we keep getting Woong's cell village scenes -- WTF is going, show?

download-3.jpg

The 1st Blue Dragon Series Awards | Kim Go Eun | Best actress for Yumi's Cells.

FYBu4-HCak-AATVn9.jpg

Kim Go Eun, who played Yumi in Yumi's Cells, won the Best Actress Award. she said, "I received the rookie of the year award at the Blue Dragon Film Festival and it's meaningful to receive this award like this after 10 years".

Spoiler

download-2.jpg

source:

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20220719204702114

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 4 months later...

img.gif

By Reporter Woo Ji Won

p1065599693738895-999-thum.jpg

Tving's Original Series "Yumi's Cells won the Best Original Program Award at the 2022 Asian Academy Creative Awards, which was held for the first time in-person after two years at Chijmes Hall, Singapore, on December 7 and 8 consecutively. Earlier, the event couldn't be held in-person due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Based on the webtoon of the same name, the romantic comedy drama "Yumi's Cells" took home the "Best Original Program" award.

AACA is Asia's largest content awards ceremony that awards Asian content annually.

83385-16705144390066-1920.jpg

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsList.php?tid=181941831

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

yumis-cells5.gif

By Park Han Sol

Rise of webtoons has positive impact on print book industry: survey

optimize.jpg

Teaser images of webtoon "Yumi's Cells," right, and its series adaptation of the same name / Courtesy of tvN

The continued popularity of webcomics, or webtoons, has had a surprisingly positive impact on the publishing industry, as the digital works in high demand lead to the rise in sales of their print book forms, recent data showed.

The Korea Creative Content Agency surveyed 3,500 readers online, aged between 10 and 69 nationwide who consume webtoons and print comics, and found that 29 percent of the respondents said they have purchased the paper version of their favorite webtoons ― a 6.4-percentage point increase from 2020.

In fact, three titles included in the respondents' top 10 list of favorite print comics this year have their origins as webtoons: "Yumi's Cells," "Itaewon Class" and "Solo Leveling."

One female teenage participant of the focus group interview, which was conducted in addition to the online survey, was quoted as saying, "I like the idea of being able to own my copy of a webtoon versus simply reading it once (digitally)."

Another male participant in his 20s noted: "I buy it for myself as well as for others' gifts. Reading a webtoon printed on a book's pages feels different from viewing it on a smartphone screen."

The survey also showed that webtoons continue to remain one of the dominant types of entertainment in the country, indicated by how frequent they are read and how many are willing to spend money for paid services.

Among the respondents, 42.9 percent stated that they consume digital cartoons at least three times a week ― a jump from 37.3 percent in 2020. And 45.7 percent answered that they have spent money ― from as little as 1,000 won ($0.76) or less to over 100,000 won per month ― for pay-per-view or sneak peek episodes.

With more than 100 webtoons having found varying degrees of success beyond smartphone screens over the last decade, getting adapted for the small and silver screens, 58.5 percent of the survey participants said they have consumed content that originated from web or print comics.

Their most favored format of adapted webtoons were television dramas at 47.4 percent, followed by films at 44.7 percent, when multiple answers were allowed.

One of the male teenage interviewees from the focus group noted that he finds it to be a fun experience watching and discovering how such television dramas interpreted the original webtoons.

But while the webcomics' forays into the silver and small screens have become an established practice, their potential expansions into the metaverse and the non-fungible tokens (NFT) sector were viewed with relative skepticism by the respondents.

Among them, 31.5 percent stated that they have no intention of consuming webtoon-inspired content on the metaverse, compared to 33.9 percent who said they would. The proportion of negative responses was even higher for webtoon-inspired NFTs, which stood at 45.4 percent compared to the 23.6 percent who expressed interest in consuming them.