A Dream of Splendor / Meng Hua Lu 梦华录 [2022]

NiteWalker

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@SilverMoonTea I'm sure I will and once Ordinary Greatness finishes, I'll get on to it.  Not a fan of either of the leads but the chemistry looks great.

I was on the fence too, as a bit worry with LYF, eventhough I like CX. But the storyline quite entertaining, the role suit her and yes most important the chemistry is off chart ! And it's very artistic and pleasing to eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

18 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

The Half Hidden Tea Shop got so many Osmanthus in their menu.....:GengarCool:  I suddenly so proud of myself.....:PsyWhat:

LOL!!!  It's like having a drama dedicated to you. How lucky you are!  :smug:

18 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

That cheeky smile slays me.....

Omg, just wait until 19 and 20... that is all.... hahahaha.  

Chen Xiao in love is so adorable.

On a more plot-related point, I'm curious about so many things.

Spoiler

- It's so hard to trust anyone in this drama, really, and GQF's already been betrayed by his best friend.  Based on his dreams, though, and how happy his dad was to be able to help him when he finally had no choice but to seek his assistance, I'm hoping his conflict with his dad is borne more out of a grand misunderstanding than anything else. It'd be sad otherwise if his dad was just evil through and through.  On the other hand, his uncle is so focused on taking down dad (and not helping him with Lei Jing) that it makes me suspect him instead... gah.  So much intrigue.

- Looks like there's also more to Inspector Gao.  His hands trembled so much when ZPE introduced herself to him and then later, when Gao Hui went to visit GPE, she was familiar with the brown sugar concoction and the other special ingredients ZPE had included.  The fact that Gao Hui's mother is also from Qiantang suggests there's more to that story.  I'm assuming ZPE's family/father will be exonerated by the end of this drama so I'm always looking for clues in that regard. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

@themarchioness

Spoiler

I'm totally sure that Uncle Gu is worse than Xiao Dad. Uncle always pitch GQF with Dad. Most likely Dad wasn't as bad as what Uncle painted him to be. Tbh, I found it weird that no one knew GQF is Xiao's son. Both family are high profile, how come even Xiao's son got no idea that he has a GeGe from different mother.

Gao's tremor is really suspicious, either his wife is related closely to ZPE or ZPE's fam is people from his past.

So far ZPE's background is a mystery. It had mentioned only Zhao Dad is an official who fell from grace and their whole family became pariah. The only way for Gu-Zhao Nuptial to happens officially happily legally, Zhao Fam have to be exonerated OR Gu resigns from his post and live somewhere on top of the snowy mountain with Zhou ZhiSu -Wen KeXing as their neighbor.

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 3

What's wrong with the men in this show? Apart from Chen Xiao's character, they all seem to be first class scumbags. :shocked2:

There are things to like about this -- a realistically independent female lead who is an expert tea maker and a shrewd, honorable male lead. as well as a political-business conspiracy in the background.

Boy, the show does feel like it plods though.

• Haha 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

For two people normally so perceptive in all other things...

Spoiler

How is that ZPE and GQF do not see that Yinzhang's got a little crush on GQF?  *facepalm*  Every time he does something nice for YZ and she starts looking at him in a certain way, it makes me nervous.  Just waiting for the day she discovers ZPE and GQF are together.  Who else thinks she's going to feel "betrayed" and cause more trouble?  (I'm kinda over YZ these days.... :P)

• Like 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

Ahhh... I've been too busy to find the time to come here (on leave for a few days!) but I've been happily watching 梦华录 though I have to admit that mid-way through the first episode, I actually wanted to give up on it. It takes a while for the show to warm up, but I am enjoying it quite a bit now. The politics bit is a bit confusing with the who's who and whatnots though. 

@themarchionessHahaha... I reckon they're to caught up with each other to notice it. Either that, or they're just dismissing it as sheer gratefulness. After all, both did a lot to save her, and surely she must know how much trouble she caused everyone. The flip side of course is how it seems to also have eluded SYZ that GQF is everywhere ZPE is. If everyone else sees it - from the newest to the "family" to the side kick - how could she not? It's SYZ, really. And like you, I'm quite very over her. In fact, she's starting to annoy me. 

That song though when they were scattering flower petals from the bridge... ominous lyrics. Much foreboding...:idk: 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gilaswan said:

The flip side of course is how it seems to also have eluded SYZ that GQF is everywhere ZPE is. If everyone else sees it - from the newest to the "family" to the side kick - how could she not? It's SYZ, really. And like you, I'm quite very over her. In fact, she's starting to annoy me. 

She's a little self-absorbed, that one.  Ugh.  We've known Zhao Di for less than half the amount of time and I quite like her and sooo much more -- she's a much more helpful human being. 

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I don’t think Daddy is the baddie!

Me either.  And I bet we're looking in the same direction for the real baddie.  ;)  

• Like 2

My Fanfics

I’m rewatching bits of the first few episodes, just so. 

Finally, everyone else in the house is like us - didn’t Yinzhang know? Couldn’t she tell?? 🙄 

Now that Daddy has been somewhat eliminated as the baddie, I’m wondering what or who caused the drift between GZF’s parents. Dad says he’s stubborn like his mum - did mum stubbornly insist to get the divorce for some reason dad did not agree with? Cos it doesn’t seem like husband and wife had a bad relationship. At least, it would see, dad still loves the mum. So is the empress evil then? Or those men who believe women should not rule are trying to vilify her? Song Dynasty was quite conservative…

On 6/18/2022 at 11:49 PM, gilaswan said:

Finally, everyone else in the house is like us - didn’t Yinzhang know? Couldn’t she tell??

Just another example of how she doesn't see beyond herself.  All the flashback moments that she experienced, when she saw the OTP hugging, only proved how the clues had been there all along, she just never picked up on it.  I mean, look at Zhao Di. She's known the three woman for all of a hot second and it didn't take her any time to figure out what was going on between ZPE and GQF.  

I'm kind of over Yinzhang.  It's one thing to be young and naive, but now it's just self-absorption.  With all the life experiences she (and the others) have experienced thus far, you'd think she'd know better.  But nope.  She only listens to what she wants to hear.  It's all gonna come crashing down on her again....

On 6/18/2022 at 11:49 PM, gilaswan said:

Now that Daddy has been somewhat eliminated as the baddie, I’m wondering what or who caused the drift between GZF’s parents.

I'm guessing one horrible misunderstanding. Sounds like her family never quite approved of daddy and in that conversation where he was complaining about that, GQF shot back and asked, "What about that prostitute then?"  (Or something like that; one of those musician singer type things, similar to what ZPE had been previously.)  And dad got really upset and said he never betrayed his mother.  But GQF wasn't having it.  This was in episode 6.  

• Like 2

My Fanfics

Has anyone watched this week's new episodes? 

I admit, I'm scared to watch them.  LOL.  

This drama is so much stronger when the OTP are on screen together, so I'm kind of..... swirling my legs in the paddling pool waiting for things to be better.  Yes, I'm a wuss.  :laugh:

• Haha 2

My Fanfics

@themarchionessI’m up-to-date but I have to admit this hiding of Qianfan from Pan’er is getting a bit tiresome and in my opinion, a bit out of character for someone  who has seemingly been so bold, disregarding of social norms and expectations, and in particular, apparently determined to reject his family ties with Min. Xiao too. I’m just glad that at least Yinzhang finally has her head on right, and Chen Liam’s loyalties to Qianfan isn’t to the point where he’s 100% keeping his secrets either. Maybe there is hope through him and Zhaodi. One more thing - how long is that expensive piece of paper worth the redemption of 2 manors going to flap around in a c.10th century wooden house located in a monsoon susceptible region??

Then there’s the comeback of Ouyang Xu whose character is becoming increasingly detestable. 

One more thing - I’m not so sure about Daddy Xiao vs Uncle Qi. Xiao admits to being a treacherous court official and supports a supposedly scheming Empress with a dodgy history. But Qi doesn’t seem any better either, ready to do his own nephew in just to win this political war. There doesn’t seem an upright man in Song China!

• Haha 1

@themarchioness @SilverMoonTea I saw a fast track option on Wetv for sale, a package price. I can't believe it, it's back? All 40 eps are out but I watched it elsewhere first....erh the ending I mean (LOL, so typical of me I know...as I am just at about 20-21, but I know why @themarchioness was fearful of the eps this week. me too, but the way things panned out in E40 for me were gratifying, though it felt like I was watching a manhwa... a little surreal.

@gilaswan I ROFL-ed at your description of The Night Revel. Oh, you'll get clarity about the Evil Empress eventually, and understand why I used the word surreal.  For Ou Yang Xu, I'd add on delusional and deranged as well.

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, IpohBanana said:

@themarchioness @SilverMoonTea I saw a fast track option on Wetv for sale, a package price. I can't believe it, it's back? All 40 eps are out but I watched it elsewhere first....erh the ending I mean (LOL, so typical of me I know...as I am just at about 20-21, but I know why @themarchioness was fearful of the eps this week. me too, but the way things panned out in E40 for me were gratifying, though it felt like I was watching a manhwa... a little surreal.

I suggested@40somethingahjummato watch, but sorry currently I put this on hold after ep 21. It kind of losing the steam, maybe as the couple already sailing 😅😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

1 hour ago, IpohBanana said:

@themarchioness @SilverMoonTea I saw a fast track option on Wetv for sale, a package price. I can't believe it, it's back?

Haha, yeah... I know, when I saw that, I thought, "But I thought we got rid of that and for good reason?"  That said, this is Tencent's first S+ drama that has done as well as it has in a while so it's not hard to see why they wouldn't try to find a way to capitalize on that, and at least in this instance they found a clever way of packaging it with a livestream so viewers in China could rewatch the last 8 eps with the drama's cast members. We'll give Tencent props for that, at least. 

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

It kind of losing the steam, maybe as the couple already sailing 😅😂

The second half definitely wasn't a strong as the drama's first -- noble idiocy, forced separations, and more focus on the royal intrigue stuff. It was inevitable in some ways (the drama did begin with GQF investigating the rumors surrounding the Empress, after all), but still, somehow it just wasn't as zippy. It doesn't help that this drama is so much better when the leads are interacting, so when they're apart from each other (and this middle stretch had a few of those eps with non-OTP time), it lagged.  

Were there some disappointments, things I wanted to see that didn't happen?  Sure. But I can't really complain either because this drama was so strong in the beginning and it really made me love the characters (GQF for the win!), and I'm happy with how things turned out.  I've especially loved seeing how so many of them have grown over the course of 40 episodes - right down to silly Chi Ya Ne.  And I'm super excited for Sanniang - she deserves every happiness.  So yeah, it was a good ending. (I eventually caved and watched through 32 subbed and have skimmed the remaining eps, but look forward to going back and watching them in full with subs.)  

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

My Fanfics

@themarchioness same here, watched 38-40 w/out subs and will rewatch when subs are available. I get the gist of what is happening but not the details. Still, it's good enough for me that I didn't have to wait till this Sunday. I was surprised at the express package because I thought it was a government ruling, but perhaps they've found a clause to get around it or positioned it in such a way, it doesn't violate any rules. Though I understand why there are people who are against this 'express' deal, I'm always thrilled that I can catch endings faster, so no complaints from my end.

Of all the dramas I've watched, this has got to be the most unconventional Emperor, I mean...

Spoiler

which drama has featured an Emperor who appears to be so personable and open/willing to listen to others, to the extent he asked the palace maids for an opinion? 

12 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

Still, it's good enough for me that I didn't have to wait till this Sunday. I was surprised at the express package because I thought it was a government ruling, but perhaps they've found a clause to get around it or positioned it in such a way, it doesn't violate any rules. Though I understand why there are people who are against this 'express' deal, I'm always thrilled that I can catch endings faster, so no complaints from my end.

In general I wasn't a fan of the VVIP system. It made for even more awkward drama discussions because, then, people were all over the place in their progress (it's already a pickle with some watching as a regular member and others watching as VIP members, VVIP just added another layer of complication).  That said, for this drama, given where the story was at when the express package came, it was kind of a relief to have that certainty of knowledge that all would work itself out by the end.  (Even though I was counting on happy ending, it was still nail-biting and just so hard watching ZPE and the other women suffer setback after setback.)

As for the creation of this express package system, I don't think the VVIP system was ever banned per se.  It was more to the extent the government cautioned against doing things that would cause harm, etc., all the platforms decided it would be better to get rid of their VVIP systems, as that had been a contributor to the frenetic fan frenzy that Qinlang was targeting.  (At least that's what I recall and that was my understanding, but it's been several months, so maybe don't quote me on that. :laugh:)  

12 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

Of all the dramas I've watched, this has got to be the most unconventional Emperor, I mean...

Hide contents

which drama has featured an Emperor who appears to be so personable and open/willing to listen to others, to the extent he asked the palace maids for an opinion? 

Haha. Good point. But also... 

Spoiler

I would assume his acceptance of an empress who had the background that she did was also unconventional, which is why the drama used him.  It's been said this Emperor was based on Emperor Zhenzong and his Empress, Empress Liu, who was a singer and previously married. 

My Fanfics

@themarchioness@IpohBanana@SilverMoonTea
I started watching a bit of episode 39 unsubbed, but it's been such a tiring time at work (20% of my team is down with C19), I couldn't stay away beyond the first 10 minutes and never got back to it. No time for TV or dramas these days. Sometimes I do wish I were the one in isolation instead so I can at least catch up on some leisure, but nah... I don't want to be sick. 

From the little you ladies have shared, I think I shall be satisfied with the ending. Seems like we can look forward to an oddly progressive Song Dynasty. Hahaha... I too agree that the story is much more interesting when both leads are on screen together, but well... all except for loony OYX, I think I'm still quite ok following the other storylines, except this period is getting a wee bit too draggy. Wish they would move things along a bit more quickly. Indeed, the culture of long drawn story telling in CDramas should really end... move along, move along...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@themarchioness thanks for the history lesson! You must be one heck of a history buff. Gee, the actual emperor depicted in a scroll hanging in Taiwan (courtesy of wiki) was erh horizontally challenged, no wonder he was unwell. And based on my brief reading of his background, there does seem to be a connection. I agree the discussions parts went awry with people watching at different tempos, but then again, I watch very, very much later on for most dramas, so it doesn't bug me as much. However, I've witnessed what happened to a drama that I watched as it aired, and I could see how people were expressing their frustration at not being able to participate in conversations; so I saw it first-hand happening. Still, there's a VIP vs non-VIP now, so I guess, it will never be a completely level watching-field.

@gilaswan sorry to hear work is taking its toll. Nope, I don't think you'd want to be sick just so you can get time off, the side effects may be quite nasty and long-lasting, depending on how you take it.

• Like 1

I'm on a regular pace of this drama and don't feel the urge to expedite it....:GengarCool: I have to say that GQF who is touting as an excellent young man both in brain and brawl, always shut down his brain and eyes and can't differentiate between enemy and friend when it comes to his own father. His prejudice against his dad is outstanding. Every single goodwill and olive branch from his dad are viewed as manipulative thru his gray tinted spectacle.

I got no problem with the side stories since I found it quite interesting. I love the childish CP, he is fun to watch.

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 1