The Long Ballad / Princess Changge 长歌行 [2021]

19 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I don't think she should suffer from lack of nutrition as she's a princess but she is athletic. 

But it's a convenient way to convince other people that you're a woman after you've been dressing like a man. 

Although I don't see how anyone can think that Dilraba looks like a man.

maybe she had been acting like a guy for so long....thats is why....

i heard this can actually affect your hormones too....that happen to an artist before when she need to act as a cross dresser and her period stop coming during the whole times she was filming...

• Like 2

I am still surprised that so few people that regularly visit the forum aren't watching this because this show has all the makings of being one of the year's best C dramas. It combines the very best of wuxia and court politics. Despite certain reservations I had at the start, the show has gotten progressively better and there's so much to praise about how the primary leads are written. (Although I have a few niggly nitpicks about characterisation of minor characters) I especially love the Asule Sun character who embodies the very best of being a warrior and leader of men. In all honesty I am enjoying it far more than The Sword and the Brocade although I liked Wallace Chung there. Here the chemistry between Wu Lei and Dilraba is palpable despite the years between them. Even in those brief moments of interaction, the spark is there. The gravitas he brings to the role makes him a far more mature character than his chronological age would suggest. And Dilraba hardly looks her age.

I'm spoiling myself so badly with previews because I have to wait for the other half so I'm currently up to Episode 12. But the last few episodes have been stellar and the penny seems to have dropped in some instances for Changge. At least in this arc, she seems to have put aside her revenge scheme in order to put her brains to better use than raising an army up against Li Shimin. I'm relieved that she has come to this place after thinking through what older and wiser human beings have said to her. It's a good arc and part of the journey of her finding her place in this big bad world.

Spoiler

The only criticism I have is the writing fo Wei Shuyu. It's so obvious that he's written to be the "loser". Hope there's more balance to the character down the track. Will he turn villainous when he finds out that he has a rival for Changge's affections?

The pacing is still great and there's a lot of nice energy coming out of the show. 

• Like 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

2 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I am still surprised that so few people that regularly visit the forum aren't watching this because this show has all the makings of being one of the year's best C dramas.

I'm watching this slowly (on episode 3) because it's politics heavy. I can only handle so much of that at once (currently watching the Korean drama, River Where the Moon Rises and that's really politics heavy). The episodes that I have seen, I've enjoyed. 

Before the show aired, I wasn't sure how I would feel about Wu Lei. Now that I've seen a few episodes, I agreed that he is the standout star of the show. His character has a lot of layers and is well put together. 

For Shuyu, he hasn't really been that exciting for me to watch either. In the little scenes that I've seen him, I've skipped some of them....haha! 

• Haha 4

@abs-oluteM So glad to see you here. This show is worth it and like you, there's nothing else on offer right now from C drama land that really interests me. This one has managed to keep me and the other half interested for 12 episodes. I find it  a well-balanced show for the most part. I also really like the main romance between Asule Sun and Li Changge although it's not a big part of the drama. His devotion to her as the show progresses is very heartwarming. You know me, I'm a sucker for romances where the male lead falls for the female lead first. And it's obvious why the leads are a good match.

@Tofu

I really don't find it that heavy politically. It's certainly nowhere  as heavy as Nirvana in Fire. The three main advisors are really about it. It sort of ebbs and flows from one arc to the next. 

Re: Wei Shuyu ... it's unfortunate that he's written as such but I'm pretty neutral about him because he's only doing what's logical for him. And it's far too obvious that he's not destined for either woman because of his personality.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 2
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I'll be having some free time tonight, so hopefully nothing crops up since I'm planning to see ep7-10. The past days were a bit busy with the new school year and Ramadan. Enjoying their BTS clips, seems that the cast were having a good time filming the drama.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

I really loved the 1st 4 episodes. And I am halfway through the 5th but just wanted to jot down some quick thoughts. This is so addictive. I agree with @40somethingahjumma that this is a good mix of action and court politics , and pacing for me has been so far so good. I didn't feel the need to use my FF button at all since so much was going on.

For one I do like how Reba has taken on a role like this. I have seen her in more "feminine" characters and she is able to hold her own here as a warrior princess in the making. I don't mind if the FL is feisty and perhaps stubborn to an extent, but it can get really annoying when that goes overboard. So far Changge has demonstrated that in her desire to revenge her parents' death, she doesn't stupidly do things too. I am thankful for one that she is written to be quick witted , and pretty strategic in her thinking.

I did not feel the age gap between Reba or WuLei visually - in fact if I had not known about it beforehand , I would have thought they look around the same age. Anyway, I do like their interactions and find there to be good chemistry. So far till where I have watched , he has just discovered that she is female when he tried to help remove the arrow from her chest.( but Reba looks so femininely pretty - did they really think she was a girl ? Lol!) 

I am intrigued by the relationship she has with her uncle, the new Crown Prince. In fact Prince Qin is an interesting character. While we were told that he murdered Changge's parents in the battle for the throne, I wonder why the King ( whoever he is ) has allowed it. Prince Qin seems like a smart man, and is using a good mix of hard and soft strategies to win the favour of the court officials and the soldiers who had been loyal to his brother. And his affections for Changge since young makes me wonder if he is her real father since it was hinted something was going on with her mother ( I read on Wiki they were former lovers) .

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 4/17/2021 at 12:43 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Re: Wei Shuyu ... it's unfortunate that he's written as such but I'm pretty neutral about him because he's only doing what's logical for him. And it's far too obvious that he's not destined for either woman because of his personality.

There were some dialogues that says he only does what will benefit his family or not make them into enemies of the court. I'm hope he gets a proper characterization soon. 

5 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

( but Reba looks so femininely pretty - did they really think she was a girl ? Lol!) 

In dramaland, anything is possible. :eeeee:

I also did not feel the age difference between Wu Lei and Dilireba. I thought they were much closer in age until I googled and realized that he just turned 21 in December! These babies. Haha! 

This morning I didn't want to do what I should be doing so I binged a couple more episodes. I'm now up to episode 14 or 15 and I must say I enjoy seeing Changge's growth. She has the ability to tactfully think under pressure, to command an army, and to still have compassion at the end. I love seeing princesses not play into the usual stereotype of being weak and incapable. I hope that we get to see more princesses like Princess Pyeonggang (from River Where the Moon Rises) and Princess Yongning. :pandacool:

I don't think I need to comment on Ashile Sun because @40somethingahjumma captured all of that for us. 

For Hao Du, it seems like he flinches whenever someone mentions his yifu -- there's a story there and I hope we find that out soon. Leyan is a bit naïve about the world and has a lot of empathy for the people around her, even for Hao Du too. I think it's still a little too early for me to have an opinion on Hao Du and Leyan because, while they have appeared a few times, it's not enough for me to really evaluate. 

By the way, I like the bond between Leyan and Changge too.

c6e8a475b25d6593fab99ff5db983ac77294ea6b

Credit

I'm not at this part yet, but I do look forward to it. Ashile Sun looks great taking off his mask!

48b446a011943cc059d709553b7de74d4885a20b

Credit

• Awesome 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

@abs-oluteMIt's very addictive. It's so addictive that I succumbed and watched all the available episodes including the unsubbed ones. It is that good for me. (I've had too much time to throw because of serious allergy issues for weeks now so I've been fairly useless but now on the mend.) I've also taken to rewatching some episodes now and again. I think I have found my first crack drama for the year.

I think this role really suits Dilraba and she's been nailing all the emotions throughout. Apparently Changge's mother is also Turkic so she also has the right look. The most important part IMO is that she can carry the action sequences convincingly. 

Changge is definitely on some kind of developmental journey and each place that she ends up represents an arc as well as a milestone for her in terms of  coming to grips with the harsh realities of life. What I really appreciate in the writing is that the show doesn't condone everything she does. She means well and does well but not everything turns out the way she would prefer. It tacitly acknowledges that her view of things is limited to begin with and she's learning lessons in the school of hard knocks. Not just her and certainly all of the young ones.

2 hours ago, Tofu said:

There were some dialogues that says he only does what will benefit his family or not make them into enemies of the court. I'm hope he gets a proper characterization soon. 

With Wei Shuyu, he represents a type of conventional male that was raised to be a good Confucian boy and to be loyal to family and country. I don't think he's that much of a wuss as he's widely seen to be. For me they all have an arc. I'm sure he has one too now because it would be a poor reflection of a show that has done so well so far with the other ones. Also he's been pushing back a bit so there's hope for him. I'm of the view that the show is painstakingly trying to show that he's just a childhood friend of Changge and Leyan and nothing more. 

As the show progresses one of the things that impresses me is Sun's characterization. His patience, his ability to look at things objectively, his nobility and also how he respects Changge's independence even when it puts him at odds with duty. Of course it is a testament to how much he cares about her that he feels compelled to intervene on occasion. For me he is as close to the perfect male lead as one can get. 

There's a great scene in one of the more recent episodes where the Great Khan tells Shu'er why Sun is so special. With unusual insight he says that more than just being a brilliant warrior, he is also able to captivate the hearts of people. Shu'er himself realises later the truth of what the Khan says. Sun commands respect and love because of what he's willing to do to protect the ones he cares about. Excelling on the battlefield begins not on the field but in the heart of the man.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I'm of the view that the show is painstakingly trying to show that he's just a childhood friend of Changge and Leyan and nothing more. 

I watched a couple of their appearances on variety shows and the actor playing Shuyu introduced himself as Haodu's rival. He does develop a fondness for Leyan and is rather competitive with Haodu. There was an exchange both of them had that made no sense to me. Shuyu was just talking about how he would have been the one to find Leyan if it wasn't for his order to return back to the palace -- does it really matter who found her first? :PikachuFacePalm:

The music videos for the OSTs. The Long Ballad has songs by the kings of OSTs, Zhou Shen and Liu Yuning. Haha! 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Tofu said:

I watched a couple of their appearances on variety shows and the actor playing Shuyu introduced himself as Haodu's rival. He does develop a fondness for Leyan and is rather competitive with Haodu. There was an exchange both of them had that made no sense to me. Shuyu was just talking about how he would have been the one to find Leyan if it wasn't for his order to return back to the palace -- does it really matter who found her first? :PikachuFacePalm:

Yeah, I saw that too on Happy Camp. 

I also think he's pushing back on Hao Du's earlier insults and meanness. He undoubtedly feels resentful that Hao Du (and his adoptive dad) forced him and manipulated him into to do things that he didn't want to do. Especially in relation to Changge, somebody he really cared about. To be honest I don't like Hao Du all that much either. Right now he's an automaton at the beck and call of his adoptive father. I just shook my head every time he made an appearance at Yuzhou trying to arrest Changge. 

To him Leyan is still a friend or a sister figure at the very least. 

• Like 3

@40somethingahjumma - Haodu has limited scenes until it gets to episode 26, when he finds Leyan. Well, it was more like he stumbled upon Leyan and the little brother she adopted on her journey. He continues to stay a bit emotionless but there are hints of changes. My favorite Haodu scene was in episode 27 when he thought that he lost Leyan again. He was like a lost puppy. 

Up to this point, I don't care too much for him too. Even a bit beyond this point, he was still set on killing Changge -- does he really want to kill her though? He's met her a few times and always let her go. Also, if killing her is part of his mission, he is not trying really hard. :idk:

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

More BTS released.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I read that when they filmed The Long Ballad it was really hot and humid because of the rain. That worries me a little bit because the Ashile Tribe had on so many layers of clothing. Wu Lei said in one of the promoting videos that he was sweating so much and it was so hot he would turn red. He also said the fur on his costume would irritate his skin too. I don't think there's anything wrong with filming when it's warm out but I hope that the production paid attention to dehydration, fatigue, etc. Whenever I hear about filming conditions and how actors just "push through it" despite feeling fatigue/exhausted, I think about Godfrey Gao who passed away during the filming of a variety show. I hope that no one ever has to go through that. 

Anyway, more photos of A'Sun because he is the man of the hour for me right now. Haha!

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Tofu They're all learning and growing. Which is good. Which is what you want for a show that's 49 episodes long. Hao Du's gradually changing too because of Leyan. Even Shuyu is becoming stronger within himself.

Anyway I won't say more until you've watched 31-36. So happy that the leads are together again.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

I watch till eps 7 - I just love Changge's character. She is pretty smart - I thought it clever that she used the Crown Prince Seal to write the edict to the General. There's danger in all this but I think given the situation , it is the best strategy. I also like her interactions with Sun. I can see his interest in her growing in every meeting they have. 

Leyan - I feel sorry for her. She is caught between her father and her love for Changge. It must baffle her that her father would kill Changge's family. But I noticed she never once questioned him. Was she unaware or she just rather ignore it? I sense that there's some sort of love triangle between her, Hao Du and YuZhou. She of course crushes on YZ , but not sure if he sees her more than a sister ( does he like Changge instead?) but I have a feeling that HD will end up liking her. HD seems pretty set on his task to kill Changge, but I hope we get to see a bit more layers in his character.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Am up to eps 10, Changge is possibly my favourite character here and I have to say that Reba is doing her character justice. I am grateful for a FL that is not helpless. Maybe this is why I am drawn to this show the way I was drawn to the recently ended kdrama River Where The Moon Rises. Strong women - warrior princesses to be exact who bring new meaning to "female empowerment" in a time where women were objectified & often used in many ways to advance male politics.  While I don't think the writer intends to push a feminist agenda, it was clear that she/ he is trying to weave in subtle messages that your gender should not limit you to what you can do. Sun was happy to recommend that the young girl in his tribe learn archery after feeling inspired by Changge.

Leyan, who is now missing and being abducted by the human trafficker  is the complete opposite of Changge . In moments like this I wish Leyan was a lot less helpless and could defend herself or had a bit more cunning to her. But there aren't  many women in those times like Changge  who really is the exception rather than the rule. I am personally quite indifferent to Leyan's arc ...in the greater scheme of things , I wonder why she was written into the plot - primarily as the romantic interest for HD? 

I miss CG and Sun's  screen time together. And I know romance is going to be on the backburner for now given that they both have important things that needs to be done. But the positive thing in these episodes is that they are both aware of each other's real identity - and despite that have decided not to view each other as the enemy. 

• Like 1