The Long Ballad / Princess Changge 长歌行 [2021]

On 4/24/2021 at 3:06 AM, abs-oluteM said:

I wonder why she was written into the plot - primarily as the romantic interest for HD? 

I felt the same way about Leyan at the beginning of the drama too. I wasn't sure what purpose she served in the drama, but after she is kidnapped and had to face many hardship on her own, she grows up to become just as strong as Changge. The strength in Changge and Leyan are different but they are both equally strong female characters. 

The two scenes that broke my heart with Leyan and Changge were:

Spoiler

When A'Dou sacrificed himself. A'Dou and Changge met by chance and developed a bond. Wherever Changge went, A'Dou was there by her side. Even though he couldn't help her with much, he did all that he could for her. His dream was to become a general and I'm glad that Changge gave him that title at the end. (Episode 14)

For Leyan, Xiao Wu opened her eyes to the living condition of many of the people. People were fighting each other just so they wouldn't go hungry, stealing from others, and more. I think I might have cried so much watching the scene of Xiao Wu asking Leyan if she was really a princess. He couldn't wait to eat all the food he wants without having to worry about what and when he would be eating next. Of course, I cried just as much watching Leyan lied that Xiao Wu was still alive so she can bring him within the city limits (they would not let anyone that was dead into the city because of the plague). (Episode 26/27)

I finished watching up to episode 30 with subs and even episode 31-36 without subs. The ending of episode 24 and beginning of episode 25, so much emotions. I completely felt the anguish and the regret from A'Sun. She'er is a pitiful man and I cannot believe he played with a human life like that. I understood A'Sun's reaction to Changge and if I was him, I probably would have reacted the same too. Changge is a great strategist, but sometimes she can be impulsive.  

Leyan standing up to Haodu around episode 31/32 (I can't remember which one) was great. She basically said everything all the viewers have been thinking. Haha! 

Watching episode 31-36 has taught me that as much as I enjoy seeing all the characters grow individually, I love seeing them more together. :btsnamjoonlove: By the way, I've enjoyed watching Shiba and Xu Feng too. They will probably end up together, right? 

Stills that were just released. 

The little girl that plays Yuan is adorable!

Spoiler

Hahahaha!

I've watched a couple of his Douyin clips and I can no longer take him seriously as the Great Khan. :eeeee:

Spoiler

What to expect this week -- I cannot believe THAT is Wang Rui Chang. :shocked2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I read a little about Princess Yicheng and if the drama follows history, she will be killed by Li Jing, the general that helped A’Sun and Changge escaped when they were getting attacked at the temple. Does this make the Battle of Yinshan the end of this drama too? I feel like it's kind of headed that way with the appearance of Li Jing.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Leyan, Haodu, and Shuyu posters. 

I don't know if I can call it a love triangle. It's more like Leyan likes Shuyu and Haodu likes Leyan. Shuyu seems pretty indifferent and doesn't know what he wants. I also think he likes Changge more too. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 4/26/2021 at 6:05 AM, Tofu said:

I felt the same way about Leyan at the beginning of the drama too. I wasn't sure what purpose she served in the drama, but after she is kidnapped and had to face many hardship on her own, she grows up to become just as strong as Changge. The strength in Changge and Leyan are different but they are both equally strong female characters. 

You're right...I am beginning to see that in Leyan in eps 13. She's on the run with the rest of the civilians during the attack on Suzhou by the Ashile tribes. It was fortunate that she escaped her abductors due to the chaos. And I see her kindness as her strongest asset.

Eps 13 and 14 have been my favourite episodes thus far - it was epic but it was heartbreaking. The battle / attack on Suzhou was eventful and a highlight as this was Changge's maiden war. I cried buckets at Dou's death but it fueled Changge's resolve to fight back. And fight back she did. No one would ever believe that the battle was led by a 15-16 year old princess who had no experience whatsoever in the battlefield. Again Reba's emotional scenes here were so good, and I felt her pain.

Also this episode was an eye-opener to the sort of person Ashile Sun is . If your enemy respects you and decides to trusts you, then you know the true value of the person. I was surprised that the  Governor of Suzhou decided to surrender to Sun. I suppose given that Suzhou would not be able to fight back with no reinforcements, the next best option was for them to surrender to ensure that they lived. Sun was well known for being a principled warrior who did not like taking lives unnecessarily.  I felt very sad though that the Governor will have to sacrifice his own life to ensure that his people can accept this. :nervous:

Sun's feelings for Changge are beginning to show. In eps 13 he missed injuring her heavily with the arrow. And in eps 14 , when a soldier from the Bear Tribe was coming from behind , he shot his arrow from afar to save her before getting his own tribe to retreat. I can tell how much he admires her.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Write-up on Long Ballad. Drama's well-received by the international audience. 😊

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202104/26/WS6085ff81a31024ad0baba3f5_1.html

On 4/26/2021 at 2:05 AM, Tofu said:

I've watched a couple of his Douyin clips and I can no longer take him seriously as the Great Khan.

I actually like his humour and his dance moves, hahaha! Who knows, it might be the unknown, great charm of Gengis Khan why he was so successful. 😁

• Haha 3

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

17 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Did you watch this week’s episodes? Is he still in the way?! :shocked2:

Well i’m watching 33 right now and yes? He is still in the way. 

spoiler if you haven’t cause i know viki only have up to 30

Spoiler

In episode 30 or 31-32, Leyan slapped Hao Du in front of Shuyu, then he put on this smirky smile and it annoyed me cause LEYAN SLAPPED HAO DU AND SHUYU SMIRKED 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

currently watching: Love Me Love My Voice, A Journey To Love

currently translating: The Legend of Jewelry 

Well, I'm way ahead at Episode 40.... and there's plenty of good stuff especially between the leads. Even though there are multiple romances, I love them best because they're fundamentally a great team. Even though they have their loyalties, they have the same goals... soulmates perhaps. Even Li Shimin says that they are very compatible.

For some reason I'm not really into Leyan and Hao Du. (Don't throw tomatoes at me) To me they're a spin off rom com. Mu Jin, Mimi, Xu Feng, Shi Ba I like and I feel that they're more integral  to the story.

I really like this show. It's still so good. When I think of Wudang Sword... *shakes head* 

The thing I really appreciate about this show is that it seldom feels like people are written to do stupid things to advance the plot. Everybody has reasons to do what they have to do.

As for Wei Shuyu, I blame the writing. It's on the writers. I like the actor and hope to see him in something that's better for him in future.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@40somethingahjumma I had some time today , and I binged till eps 21- couldn’t stop until I had no choice .:smile: . Romance  has not exactly taken off . But Sun keeps saving & covering up for her over & over . I understand her heart & where her loyalty lies , but he’s taking a lot of risks.  Sometimes  it feels like this romance should not happen given that they are from opposing camps - kind of like Romeo & Juliet. But yet I want them to be together so badly . 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

7 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@40somethingahjumma I had some time today , and I binged till eps 21- couldn’t stop until I had no choice .:smile: . Romance  has not exactly taken off . But Sun keeps saving & covering up for her over & over . I understand her heart & where her loyalty lies , but he’s taking a lot of risks.  Sometimes  it feels like this romance should not happen given that they are from opposing camps - kind of like Romeo & Juliet. But yet I want them to be together so badly . 

Just keep going because you're going to be happy with Episodes 37-40. It is slowburn and romance isn't the main thing here. But the romance is important for this couple because they are two people who don't belong in one place. They want to help and they can. He's written to be the right kind of man for someone like her. Someone who can watch her back, someone who respects her independence and intelligence. He's strong and humble enough to be her safety net. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Just keep going because you're going to be happy with Episodes 37-40. It is slowburn and romance isn't the main thing here. But the romance is important for this couple because they are two people who don't belong in one place. They want to help and they can. He's written to be the right kind of man for someone like her. Someone who can watch her back, someone who respects her independence and intelligence. He's strong and humble enough to be her safety net. 

Really love how Sun is written. His character too was introduced in a very low key way in the much earlier episodes but as the show progresses , he's becoming one of my favourite MLs. 

I know many times , he wishes that Changge would be less obstinate about her decisions. His love for her is so clear to me. He does not expect anything but for her to live. I teared up a number of times when I saw how hard it has been for him risking his position and his clan when he has to save her. But I think what really broke my heart was went She Er forced him to kneel if he wanted to save Ah Yi Er.  (eps 25)

I am actually confused...is Sun not the current Khan's real son? I understand that She Er is the son of the former Khan and the mother is the current Khatun. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

So, first of all. I'm saying all of this based on my own opinions and perspectives, so please don't hate me. 

I started out this drama without any proper expectation because first of all, I didn't know anyone on that cast list beside Yuning and Lusi, Alen Fang and Reba, but I wouldn't even gonna call myself a fan of any of them because I barely watched any of their shows properly. Except for Lusi, where I only watched half of TROTAR, oh My Emperor! and untouchable lovers (so you can see I only watched her old stuff when she first started) as Yuning, I knew him from Douyin, but I never watched his acting or anything and only knew him as "the guy that sing". For Reba, of course, Ten Miles but that was the only drama I watched, lastly, Alen Fang was from the love of hypnosis. Anyway, the only reason why I had to explain myself first because people tend to mistaken that I'm purposely disliking the drama? but I don't?

From my perspective, at the very beginning around 1-25? I was very frustrated at Changge because she does thing recklessly and without forethought, as you can see from the beginning, she likes to jump into hole, knowing it was dangerous but she didn't have an instinct to guard herself, so she was caught multiple times (make sense, i don't blame her cause this is still the beginning). Moving to when they had to face Ashile Sun, when the couple she was with (I actually forgot but they died to scarified for the attack, oh this was after A'Dou died btw) so at this point, I actually praise her because despite of everything, she was able to understand that, so many lives have lost and at this point, she doesn't have anyone on her side, so she have to surrender herself until she find a way out. Perfect, but the only thing that bother me was Reba's emotional scene, I felt like even during A'Dou's dying scene, I wasn't able to feel the 'pain' that was supposed to be delivered to me, but I was willing to overlooked it. Then afterward, we have the whole Ashile Sun trying to save her and she declined (i think at this point we all know Ashile Sun like her but she haven't been able to reply to his feeling because she's so occupied with so many problems). The one main thing, i didn't like is that the drama is trying really hard to prove that she is a smart character, but they're making it look she was has to be smart physically rather than mentally, which kind of throws me off cause being strong doesn't = strong female lead (I mean as in she throws herself out to fight and stuff). 

If we have to talk about emotional scene, I actually poured my tears out at the scene of Xiao Wu, despite he was only being shown for like 3 minutes per episodes but for some reason, the scene of him begging for rice and dying at the gate really gets to me. (I actually started to hate this show because they keep killing character that I was starting to like :mad:)

As this point, i'm up to episode 33-35? My attention span for the main lead is literally 15% because i know they gonna drag this relationship thing for a while (and we're already half way through the drama) so my literal focused is on Haoyan (even though everyone is saying it but i really do think, Haoyan stand out a lot in this drama). I can see the deep affection he have for Leyan. When he found her, after being missing for so long, you can see the urge of him wanting to hug her, because she's her bawling over a kid, but as someone with a "low" status compared to her, you can see the complications that they both have, plus Leyan is still into Shuyu. 

**The end, ShuYu need to move on or move out, he's like giving Leyan wrong signal by caring for her but at the same time, smirking at Hao Du, on top of that, caring for CHANGGE?? Like dude....what do you want? :eeeee:

Once again, my opinion and I don't hate the show. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AwkwarDerp said:

So, first of all. I'm saying all of this based on my own opinions and perspectives, so please don't hate me. 

I started out this drama without any proper expectation because first of all, I didn't know anyone on that cast list beside Yuning and Lusi, Alen Fang and Reba, but I wouldn't even gonna call myself a fan of any of them because I barely watched any of their shows properly. Except for Lusi, where I only watched half of TROTAR, oh My Emperor! and untouchable lovers (so you can see I only watched her old stuff when she first started) as Yuning, I knew him from Douyin, but I never watched his acting or anything and only knew him as "the guy that sing". For Reba, of course, Ten Miles but that was the only drama I watched, lastly, Alen Fang was from the love of hypnosis. Anyway, the only reason why I had to explain myself first because people tend to mistaken that I'm purposely disliking the drama? but I don't?

From my perspective, at the very beginning around 1-25? I was very frustrated at Changge because she does thing recklessly and without forethought, as you can see from the beginning, she likes to jump into hole, knowing it was dangerous but she didn't have an instinct to guard herself, so she was caught multiple times (make sense, i don't blame her cause this is still the beginning). Moving to when they had to face Ashile Sun, when the couple she was with (I actually forgot but they died to scarified for the attack, oh this was after A'Dou died btw) so at this point, I actually praise her because despite of everything, she was able to understand that, so many lives have lost and at this point, she doesn't have anyone on her side, so she have to surrender herself until she find a way out. Perfect, but the only thing that bother me was Reba's emotional scene, I felt like even during A'Dou's dying scene, I wasn't able to feel the 'pain' that was supposed to be delivered to me, but I was willing to overlooked it. Then afterward, we have the whole Ashile Sun trying to save her and she declined (i think at this point we all know Ashile Sun like her but she haven't been able to reply to his feeling because she's so occupied with so many problems). The one main thing, i didn't like is that the drama is trying really hard to prove that she is a smart character, but they're making it look she was has to be smart physically rather than mentally, which kind of throws me off cause being strong doesn't = strong female lead (I mean as in she throws herself out to fight and stuff). 

If we have to talk about emotional scene, I actually poured my tears out at the scene of Xiao Wu, despite he was only being shown for like 3 minutes per episodes but for some reason, the scene of him begging for rice and dying at the gate really gets to me. (I actually started to hate this show because they keep killing character that I was starting to like :mad:)

As this point, i'm up to episode 33-35? My attention span for the main lead is literally 15% because i know they gonna drag this relationship thing for a while (and we're already half way through the drama) so my literal focused is on Haoyan (even though everyone is saying it but i really do think, Haoyan stand out a lot in this drama). I can see the deep affection he have for Leyan. When he found her, after being missing for so long, you can see the urge of him wanting to hug her, because she's her bawling over a kid, but as someone with a "low" status compared to her, you can see the complications that they both have, plus Leyan is still into Shuyu. 

**The end, ShuYu need to move on or move out, he's like giving Leyan wrong signal by caring for her but at the same time, smirking at Hao Du, on top of that, caring for CHANGGE?? Like dude....what do you want? :eeeee:

Once again, my opinion and I don't hate the show. 

thank you for saying this!! I’m also on board the Haoyan ship here <3 Usually I have very low tolerance for Mary Sue type of characters but there’s something about Leyan and Zhao’s portrayal of this character that resonates with and appeals to me a lot, almost on a personal level. I personally think Leyan is not made to be stupid. I’m not going to say much in case you don’t want to be spoiled, but please keep watching until ep 42. I’m at that point right now and it’s been a roller coaster of emotion for a single but extended scene but it’s so worth it.

P.S.: I’ve also lost interest in the main story and some side characters, but I’m staying for Haoyan and am not regretting it. For me their chemistry is so palpable and I personally find their trajectories interesting. Like, I can’t take my eyes off them whenever they’re on my screen.

P.P.S.: I’ve also discovered a really beautiful and poignant translation of the theme song for Haoyan. It’s literally what Haodu has to say to Leyan and my heart never fails to bleed a little whenever I hear that song played. I just love this pairing too much.

Edited by Haoyan
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Haoyan said:

thank you for saying this!! I’m also on board the Haoyan ship here <3 Usually I have very low tolerance for Mary Sue type of characters but there’s something about Leyan and Zhao’s portrayal of this character that resonates with and appeals to me a lot, almost on a personal level. I personally think Leyan is not made to be stupid. I’m not going to say much in case you don’t want to be spoiled, but please keep watching until ep 42. I’m at that point right now and it’s been a roller coaster of emotion for a single but extended scene but it’s so worth it.

P.S.: I’ve also lost interest in the main story and some side characters, but I’m staying for Haoyan and am not regretting it. For me their chemistry is so palpable and I personally find their trajectories interesting. Like, I can’t take my eyes off them whenever they’re on my screen.

P.P.S.: I’ve also discovered a really beautiful and poignant translation of the theme song for Haoyan. It’s literally what Haodu has to say to Leyan and my heart never fails to bleed a little whenever I hear that song played. I just love this pairing too much.

No worry about spoiling me because I've spoilt myself by watching a lot of clips! Literally, the long duration period of time when she goes missing, you can literally see the character development, going from a classy and spoilt princess to a mature independent person. You can also see how she started to treat ShuYu, not as clingy or closed as before, she become more understanding. 

• Like 5

@AwkwarDerp There's no hate here. Not from me anyway. I like a good debate and have no problems with different perspectives. It's useful to hear different voices.

I'm writing in response to what you've written overnight because it seems that your remarks are directed towards my comments about Hao Du and Leyan. Those are just my opinions and they don't reflect what other people might think about them or the show. The actors are good in their roles which is why they're selling it to a large part of the audience. The thing I really want to say is that my unenthusiastic response to Hao Du and Leyan's response has nothing to do with how great Changge or Sun is. For me this show succeeds not because of the romance because it does a reasonable job with the politics of the period. This is the first period C drama that I've really liked since Ancient Detective, I think. Because it has balance and its well-paced. I haven't liked any of the popular ones -- I dropped so many because they were either too light weight or too depressing.

First of all, I agree with your evaluation of Changge. At least in those early days. I had similar thoughts myself. She was reckless and impatient but the show never condones every single thing she does.  The reason why this show is good is because it shows events from multiple perspectives and the audience can take whatever they want from it. I wasn't crazy about the revenge scheme in the first place because it was a foolhardy venture. I always thought there was more to her mother's death. But from her perspective with the little information that she had, it seemed like a good idea at the time. As the show progresses there are marked changes in her attitude towards revenge because there are bigger things at stake. She puts country first even if she hates the new king. She should be given some credit for coming to this place because she set aside her own personal agenda to save the country. Shuzhou was a really important stage in her growth because she met a leader there who put the interests of the people first. As he said to her, he's not interested in winning wars but saving lives. Gongsun Heng was a good leader who was an example to her of good leadership and what risk assessment is about. The entire event and its aftermath hit her really hard. 

Despite her intelligence and training, Changge is like Leyan in that she was sheltered. She didn't know what the realities of the common people's plight were. Not until she became a fugitive did she realise that things out there in the real. As far as I can tell the show is about her, her journey as a patriot. People's love for Sun comes in large part due to his 

Of course it was Sun's idea to take her back to the steppes and in part he's responsible for what played out. However what happened with the general and Sun' adoptive mother is not entirely on her. Although I think her impatience is what escalated matters. It's a perfect storm of common and competing interests. Princess Yi-cheng has her own agenda. Adoptive mother made her choice to help. The general wanted out not surprisingly. Sun just can't help himself where Changge is concerned. There are many ways to look at this event and now if you've caught up to the late 30s we know more. Besides that it also showed that the Ashile clan are a divided bunch mostly due to the Khan's leadership. 

But when she goes back to the steppes after her time in Luoyang, she's all out trying to help the Eagle battalion. She even calls them her home.

I like this show because it has some depth to it and for me the romance is just bonus. In my experience the longer a romance takes to develop in a C drama, the better things will turn out. Not always but quite often.

It's pretty subjective isn't it how we respond to different scenes in the show? I didn't feel the same thing with Xiao Wu. I'm old and cynical. I've probably seen too many dramas.

Now for something really inflammatory...

:cool:

Frankly for me I don't think Leyan's story is really needed in this. Her entire arc feels like it belongs in a different show. That's a production issue and not a slight against the actors who have done a good job with their respective roles. I liked her arc in some ways and I thought it was realistic that she would struggle out there but it's not that well integrated into the bigger story in my view.  The romance doesn't really do anything for me in the way it does for others.  Again I've probably seen too many tsundere male-candy girl romances.  I'm just thankful that there's no love triangle here. 

I love Sun because he represents a positive masculinity that I see in many of my male friends. He's calm and thinks through things objectively. I'm still so impressed that he told She'er that if he thought killing him would bring his mother back he would have. When he was going to shoot She'er he realised doing so would only bring problems to the Eagle battalion. That kind of forethought is rare. He's a fantastic character that embodies all the characteristics of being a leader and a lover. Even if he wasn't in a romance with the female lead, he is still a great character. He is already a decent human being who just happen to have found his true love.

@abs-oluteM I've written more stuff about Long Ballad on my blog. Just in case you're interested. Here's the link to the latest one.

https://40somethingahjumma.substack.com/p/the-long-ballad-2021-the-road-least

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1

@40somethingahjummamy comment wasn’t directed at you at all. I wrote it yesterday when i found this thread but just didn’t post it and i also didn’t read your comment yet because I only came in to post that. 

I just read it your old comment just so I can understand what you meant in the new one. :popcorn:

I only said hate cause some people mistaken me as an anti-Reba since I said I liked the side couple more? Anyway, sorry that I created a misunderstanding for posting. Thank you for your post. 

• Like 3

I was telling @abs-oluteM that I really like all the couples in this drama, even the side couples like Shiba/XuFeng and MuJin/Mimi. Everyone adds a little color and it's one of the many reasons I like this drama. However, let's be honest...my favorite pairing is Wu Lei and his Ashile Sun wig. :eeeee:

So far, The Long Ballad has been the only drama that I've watched the released episodes without subs and later on again with subs. I have no idea how I find the time to do all of this but it really just shows how much I like this drama. 

14 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

is Sun not the current Khan's real son? I understand that She Er is the son of the former Khan and the mother is the current Khatun. 

He is not. He is an adopted son. Even his "mom" is not his real mom. In one of the episodes, A'Sun said something about being found by his mom. She raised him and because of his "father", she was put in Khatun's tent to keep A'Sun in check/still continue to fight alongside the Great Khan. Once his mom died, the Great Khan had no reasons to force A'Sun to stay with them anymore. He allowed A'Sun to travel, which is something his mom has always wanted to do but couldn't. 

9 hours ago, AwkwarDerp said:

If we have to talk about emotional scene, I actually poured my tears out at the scene of Xiao Wu, despite he was only being shown for like 3 minutes per episodes but for some reason, the scene of him begging for rice and dying at the gate really gets to me. (I actually started to hate this show because they keep killing character that I was starting to like

Same here! I cried quite a bit watching this scene because I love children and one thing that gets to me is children not having enough to eat. I can't remember what costume drama it was that I watched, but I learned to not get too attached to the younger characters because the drama always have a way of killing them off! :JigglyAngry:

5 hours ago, Haoyan said:

I’m also on board the Haoyan ship here <3

Considering that your username is Haoyan, if you were not onboard the Haoyan ship, I would be worried. :laugh: 

I'd admit, at the beginning, I was pretty indifferent to them as a couple because they had little scenes together. Once Leyan was found and interact more with Hao Du, I realized I enjoyed watching them together. They are cute and I probably have watched way too many Haoyan fan made videos and fanart. Hahaha!!

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

But when she goes back to the steppes after her time in Luoyang, she's all out trying to help the Eagle battalion. She even calls them her home.

One quality I like in Changge is that she has compassion for just about everyone around her, even those that are supposed to be her "enemies". 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1