The Devil Judge / Devilish Judge 악마판사 [2021]

Darkarcana

9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Ok, Sun Ah. I'm a little bit bugged by her "Can't Master Yo Han be a little bit nice to me?" — the way this line was said, it carries a hidden meaning which I interpreted that she genuinely wants to Yo Han to be nice.

5 hours ago, im0202 said:

Just seen Ep 9. This scene made me a little confused. Sometimes I don’t know if Sun-ah is really infatuated and has an unhealthy obsession with Yohan, or she is simply pretending (craves power and wealth instead)?

I think she does like Yo Han and was hurt. Then she tried to salvage her pride and smiled through it - as a woman, that is 👍.

She thinks Yo Han and herself are cut from the same cloth - they both have the brains to scheme, and the capability to carry it out. She is lonely and Yo Han would be an ideal mate for her.

But she doesn't understand that Yo Han, despite the beatings he suffered from his father, deep down, is a good person. Perhaps because he had Isaac to help and teach him. Whereas Sun Ah is a born villian, not one that is truly made by circumstances. Yes she was born poor but she already liked shiny things when young and was thieving. We don't even know how her mother died. When she was raped by the SRF chairman, that added to her sense of grievance and yearning for money and power. She could have done good with SRF, but she did not.

I wonder though, who is the end target of Yo Han's revenge. If it is the SRF, was Sun Ah already in power then and caused the fire? For now, it doesn't seem that Yo Han knows that Sun Ah has been the main force behind Chairman Seo before his death.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Just finished ep.2... much more watchable, and I shall continue on. 

The production team did a good job finding shooting sites and angles that really made it seem like we're in a dystopian Korea. Then there's the scene of the young students fighting in class. That's a first for me to see and the kids are doing a superb job at it, I'm not sure to be happy or sad :pandaheadstomp:

• Haha 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

I think she does like Yo Han and was hurt. Then she tried to salvage her pride and smiled through it - as a woman, that is 👍.

Yes I think so too, just couldn't put it into better words. I do love that Kim Min Jung nailed the line, intonation and expression.

Not sure if she'll be the ultimate big boss in the end but either way, I'm greatly entertained.

44 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Just finished ep.2... much more watchable, and I shall continue on. 

The production team did a good job finding shooting sites and angles that really made it seem like we're in a dystopian Korea. Then there's the scene of the young students fighting in class. That's a first for me to see and the kids are doing a superb job at it, I'm not sure to be happy or sad :pandaheadstomp:

Hurraaaayyy. True, the cinematography is pretty amazing. Is this credit to the director or the camera man? LOL. I don't know this PD as well since amongst the dramas he directed, I've only seen Two Weeks and don't like it enough to remember details.

Oh. So Yo Han is there to fight the TV thugs too! Glad to know Soo Hyun was trying to take them on herself.

• Heart Eyes 3
  • Tasty 1

Eps 9 was great. YoHan taught Ga On some really precious lessons about human nature. A person can be motivated through a number ways to do your bidding. But generally I would say that it is either pain avoidance or gain driven. But from observation, the fear of losing is often stronger, and that was clear in today's episode. It was satisfying to see how YoHan had tricked the man to revealing his true face to his family. That for me was an even better revenge than Ga On having to go to jail for killing the man. 

With regards to Sun Ah - she views YoHan as a shiny thing. Something she wants but clearly has not been able to get. So far, whatever she has desired, be it wealth or power she has been able to acquire through all her clever scheming . YoHan is the ultimate prize and she desires his affection.  The harder he pushes her away , the greater the thrill it is for her. She thinks she is in love but it really is a twisted unhealthy obsession . Agree with you,  @Chocolate. There are  some parallels to how both she and YoHan have excuted their plans  using somewhat rather questionable methods. She probably thinks they could be "soul mates" who could rule the world together. However,  YoHan's intentions ultimately boils down to removing Cha and gang from power , but in her case whatever she is doing is merely to serve her own needs. 

• Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

8 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

And may I ask where is Soo Hyun's gun? 🙄

Maybe she is not on duty and police can't just use their guns whenever they like in SK. One bullet = a report (refer to kdrama, Live). Assuming it is still the same in Dystopian times otherwise she would have shot him 2 episodes ago.

E10 Cut (... cont)

E11 Preview

Errr... is Yo Han even awake in that shaving scene because he did proudly told her that she'll never get another chance like she did last time (kidnap him).

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

Ah... so it's Batman, Robin and Catwoman (Selina Kyle). Yay! I love the Dark Knight. Nolan's first two movies of the trilogy is among my favourites in the genre. Especially Batman Begins. The allusion to the Dark Knight trilogy really hit home in the flashback where Ga-on is just about to stab Doh Young-choon with his switchblade and Soo-hyun intervenes just in time to stop him. There is a similar scenario in Batman Begins involving Rachel Dawes... also Bruce's childhood friend who later becomes a prosecutor. 

I actually agree with Ga-on that the rise in street vigilantism and the increasing totalitarian grip by the government doesn't really begin with the televised trials but with the fact that the institutions like the judiciary were taken captive by corrupt politicians for their own ends. As I've said before, Yo-han is an agent provocateur undoubtedly but his role is to reveal the underlying rot and he's not the cause of it. The show isn't the root of the problem in that world. There's a reason why it's popular and why it's captured the public's imagination because the conditions already exist for it. Certainly an argument can be made that the live court show exacerbates the issues but the cause of the problem goes back to those who allowed the corruption of the institution to take place in the first instance.

Yo-han is no doubt a genius of sorts. His shrewd understanding of human psychology allows him to calculate and stay ahead of the game in most instances. It's become increasingly obvious why he chooses some people and not others to be on his side. On the surface, he seems to be all about expediency but in reality he is looking for people who have an unshakeable conviction. Ga-on says it's anger and resentment but what it is, is being utterly fed up with ineptitude and the status quo. Only those who have had firsthand experience with a kind of miscarriage of justice "get it". They know from experience that the system is broken and all the high sounding idealism is just that and hot air. These sorts of people cannot be bought with all the money in the world. It is also clear why he's sidelined Judge Oh. She's a liability one way or another. She's easily dazzled... starry-eyed about her position in the show and her prospects in law. She doesn't have strong convictions one way or another about the effectiveness or workings of the law. A person like that is prone to be wishy washy, chasing the next shiny thing when the previous one loses its lustre. 

In a participatory democracy, the expectation is that the media will do its job and inform the public without bias and give us the facts. But clearly that's increasingly not the case. When the fourth estate loses its independence and actively works with the government and big business to "wag the dog" and mislead the public -- it's the beginning of the end of any kind of meaningful democracy. With the death of Chairman Seo and Sun-ah's ascendency to the of SRF chair, the president can hysterically pontificate over law and order issues employing a very ugly form of parochialism so as to misdirect.

The chemistry between Ji Sung and Kim Min-jung is pretty good -- it sizzles in a way you'd expect between Bats and Catwoman. Adversaries with plenty of sexual tension. No doubt Sun-ah is besotted with Yo-han in a way she's not with all the other men for whom she has contempt. Not that he's trying to play hard to get but the more aloof he is, the more irresistible he is to her. Regardless of what her childhood has been and how she's been exploited in the past, she's far too dangerous for my liking and I'm not sure I can muster a whole lot of sympathy for her. 

It's a great show and I'm lapping up the political satire. Moreover I don't think anyone can overpraise Ji Sung who is just amazing in this.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

55 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

OMGGG I take my work back... these Ga On and Soo Hyun were being reckless!

Out of all the main characters, Soo Hyun is just being written poorly. I thought she was going to be a badass after that fight scene she had (in Ep 1?) with a thug in the alley. But in Ep 9 with the Yohan cult members and now in Ep 10, she seems to be rushing into action and trouble like a headless chicken. Like you’re a police officer, use your wits and call for back-up please before rushing into anything?! 
I hope her character shows better growth and decision-making in the next episodes.

30 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Not knowing the context, it looks like they are a romantic couple xDDDDD

Ahem I’ve been looking for this scene since I saw screenshots of it on bird app.. Do we have another spicy one today?😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Like uncle like niece LMAO. They love uri Ga On. 🤣

Nothing spicy @im0202

Think JS mentioned her sensitive point so she grabbed him. Just JS making it look spicy.

This! My ship. Nicely acted out from JY. I felt what he did not say even though he said after she left. Ugh, confess already before it is too late!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
2 minutes ago, im0202 said:

Ahem I’ve been looking for this scene since I saw screenshots of it on bird app.. Do we have another spicy one today?😂

Me too ...always looking for sexy ones. But agree with @Chocolate...they cannot end up together. It will be wrong on so many levels!

@mademoiselle How was Elijah trying to help them here?

Finally found some plot spoiler

It apparently ended with Sun A saying I will kill you .  I suppose she knows it is YoHan who leaked the info

4 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

his! My ship. Nicely acted out from JY. I felt what he did not say even though he said after she left. Ugh, confess already before it is too late!

Aish...instead of saying he also has her ...he says he has his fan club!. What la...come on Ga On confess already.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

I'm quite curious why Sun Ah's background as a maid is a disadvantage. Surely no one expected that she was born with a silverspoon.

Edit: This seems to be a trigger for her. Whether it is simply personal embarrassment over having been a servant or she is concerned it will affect her ambitions, I do not know...

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 5
13 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I actually agree with Ga-on that the rise in street vigilantism and the increasing totalitarian grip by the government doesn't really begin with the televised trials but with the fact that the institutions like the judiciary were taken captive by corrupt politicians for their own ends. As I've said before, Yo-han is an agent provocateur undoubtedly but his role is to reveal the underlying rot and he's not the cause of it. The show isn't the root of the problem in that world. There's a reason why it's popular and why it's captured the public's imagination because the conditions already exist for it. Certainly an argument can be made that the live court show exacerbates the issues but the cause of the problem goes back to those who allowed the corruption of the institution to take place in the first instance.

Yo-han is no doubt a genius of sorts. His shrewd understanding of human psychology allows him to calculate and stay ahead of the game in most instances. It's become increasingly obvious why he chooses some people and not others to be on his side. On the surface, he seems to be all about expediency but in reality he is looking for people who have an unshakeable conviction. Ga-on says it's anger and resentment but what it is, is being utterly fed up with ineptitude and the status quo. Only those who have had firsthand experience with a kind of miscarriage of justice "get it". They know from experience that the system is broken and all the high sounding idealism is just that and hot air. These sorts of people cannot be bought with all the money in the world. It is also clear why he's sidelined Judge Oh. She's a liability one way or another. She's easily dazzled... starry-eyed about her position in the show and her prospects in law. She doesn't have strong convictions one way or another about the effectiveness or workings of the law. A person like that is prone to be wishy washy, chasing the next shiny thing when the previous one loses its lustre. 

Let me quote this, can fit to be description why Yohan is that kapellmeister, a conductor of dramatic orchestra.

But is he too over-skilled here? He also can fight, I mean, there just three of them (Yohan, Gaon, Soohyun) when catching the 'revolution' leader and they are easily beaten when he came. Again, Soohyun is reckless & makes her fall into somewhat amateur as she insisted to going there by herself before. I'm agree with this:

12 hours ago, im0202 said:

Out of all the main characters, Soo Hyun is just being written poorly. I thought she was going to be a badass after that fight scene she had (in Ep 1?) with a thug in the alley. But in Ep 9 with the Yohan cult members and now in Ep 10, she seems to be rushing into action and trouble like a headless chicken. Like you’re a police officer, use your wits and call for back-up please before rushing into anything?! 
I hope her character shows better growth and decision-making in the next episodes.

At ep 9-10 I feel like Yohan is kind of mentor for Gaon. Great mentor. The fire orchestra is really entertaining to show Gaon what the devil inside those trashes. Yohan is soooo kind to Gaon.

My favorite also when Gaon realized Yohan-Elijah is kind at heart by ahjumma's food taste. They seem to a type of human with senses.

But one thing disturbs me is the way Yohan losing his control when saving Elijah. There is camera, and he just choke the man. I'm not expecting that coming from him with such details & anticipation of his every moves. At least, not for that kind of act. Did Yohan-Gaon-Elijah took care of the records? Will public have problem with it if leaked? "The Chief Judge Kang Yohan Loses Himself" kind of headline.. Or it's just a plot hole?

P. S. The amount of choking in this show can be a compilation one, danggg 😂😂

12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

When I saw this scene, I wonder if it was necessary of JS sitting like that staring into Ga On

BL hype is eat well with these kind of scenes 😉

12 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I'm quite curious why Sun Ah's background as a maid is a disadvantage. Surely no one expected that she was born with a silverspoon.

Edit: This seems to be a trigger for her. Whether it is simply personal embarrassment over having been a servant or she is concerned it will affect her ambitions, I do not know...

This also makes me interested. I thought it will be not that kind of trigger for her & she would proud of it instead. But it might be how the public will react to that fact, not just personal embarrassment, like, they will stomp on it. She earned it hard, the respect of elite people. I think it will tear her motives as power-woman.

And also, I know this show is a fiction, but, the way president talks about pure blood, women take over issue, are some politician in SK have that kind of obsession? And the way Jinjoo talks about women's rights position in the country too, it is interesting.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o 

57 minutes ago, bairama said:

This also makes me interested. I thought it will be not that kind of trigger for her & she would proud of it instead.

Exactly. She is chairperson of SRF - her humble beginnings should have been an asset - she can show that she understands the people and their struggles as she went through it herself.

She seemed a little mentally unbalanced/psychotic in parts of ep10...

57 minutes ago, bairama said:

And the way Jinjoo talks about women's rights position in the country too, it is interesting.

From the preview, it looks like Jin Joo is going to be used to make a false accusation against Yo Han.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

The ending of Episode 9 was an absolute blast. And Judge Yo-han is beyond terrifying. Luckily he seems to be on the side of right. So far. The way he uses human psychology to get the desired result is both awesome and frightening. He's certainly not a stranger to violence but he is intelligent enough to know that pushing the right buttons can be far more effective than physical torture or a good beating. My first thought when it seemed that he was going to torch the stash of cash was that "he should just give it back to the victims." But hey, Yo-han is a lot more devious and brutal than I am. He has to destroy the man completely -- first to his family and then his sanity. That gambit was unbelievably powerful. Not only did it expose DYC's duplicity and false repentance, it revealed where his real priorities were.

My feeling about Soo-hyun is that she didn't really go into the police because she had any real convictions about law and order. She said so herself that she went in to protect Ga-on. Therein lies the problem. She's mothers him. She's been mothering him for a really long time. It's probably unconscious but he is her life. Outside of work her entire life revolves around him. Depending on how you see that it could be romantic or very co-dependently unhealthy. Nothing about what she did in her confrontation with the street vigilante gang made any sense unless you think of her as someone who believes that she has been licensed to do things with a gun.  Why she didn't call for back-up first, why she left Elijah alone in the car and thought it was a good idea to point a gun at the hoodlums to quell the unrest ALONE without a backup plan. I suppose she thinks she has something to prove. To herself? To Elijah? Or To Ga-on? She made it her problem when it was in effect a law and order issue.

@bairama Because this is really a superhero show at the end of the day, I don't mind if Yo-han seems unbelievably amazing. At least he's enjoyed the privileges of wealth and is putting his resources to good use.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.