The Devil Judge / Devilish Judge 악마판사 [2021]

Darkarcana

54 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@bairama Because this is really a superhero show at the end of the day, I don't mind if Yo-han seems unbelievably amazing. At least he's enjoyed the privileges of wealth and is putting his resources to good use.

quick reply: will be my Kdrama favorite hero then :heart:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Party! 2

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o 

I will try to catch up asap before new episode drops. Just finished ep.3-4. Lots of progress in the storyline, which I like and thought was done well and with seamless revelation. 

- Ga-on is now in Yohan's mansion and it gave him the chance to snoop around. Then later on, I understood why Yohan wants to keep him safe. The resemblance of him to Isaac is uncanny, and I want to know how is that so. I thought earlier when Yohan said he looks just like him, meaning Ga-on with his father, but it turned out that Yohan was referring to Ga-on with Isaac. That was very unexpected. Besides keeping him safe, I think he wants to win over Ga-on to his side, instead of him snooping around for the other person, by letting Ga-on discover more about him. 

- The introduction of Elijah, I love that we see some of the gentler side of Yohan with this angry girl. I am curious to know why she is now upset with Yohan when earlier we see that they're close (at church entrance). I love that Ga-on was able to slowly get close to her and she softened up to him as well. 

- When considering what the Nanny told Ga-on, I can't help but wonder if the story that Yohan told Ga-on about the church fire is true or not. It's his account of how the story went. But nevertheless, it helped us understand why he hangs out with that bunch of rich people, and why Minister Cha was one of his target. Can't believe how she just didn't care about a crying little girl in the midst of fire. Such selfish person. And also understanding why Yohan was after that fireman. 

- Lee Young Min's trial. Well, I should say I am glad this brat got his punishment. It is quite deserving because he doesn't care about beating up people anyway. I would prefer that the people he hit were the ones who take turn to flog him once though :pandaevil: However, I do wonder about the way the flogging is done. Shouldn't the executor be masked? Otherwise he would be easily targeted for revenge. And using that thick rod on the back... wouldn't that injure the internal organs? Not familiar with flogging but I don't think the way it's done is safe. Could be fatal when the back is hit with such thick rod. I know some countries still have caning, eg. Singapore, but the execution is different, I believe. Have to dig more on this.

- And then there's this voting system within the Live Trial. Given human's nature, most will vote for punishment because they're not accountable anyway and some people just like to celebrate punishment as long as it's on other people and not on themselves. As seen in the young people dancing and cheering when LYM was flogged. So each time a voting happened, I'm guessing it will never be on the defendant's favour, especially when there's the Devil Judge who is steering the sentiments... 

- Of course Jung Sun-ah has to have a bigger role than merely a secretary... Chairman Seo is just her puppet. It's scary the way she threatens people, including the President. I wonder how much Yohan knows about her. Ga-on definitely still has a lot of growing up to do since he quite easily believes what people (Nanny, Sun-ah) told him regarding Yohan. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

37 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

So each time a voting happened, I'm guessing it will never be on the defendant's favour, especially when there's the Devil Judge who is steering the sentiments... 

That's a good point. So far, the defendants have all been deserving of punishment. The prosecution tried to test Yo Han once, but... haha let you find out as you watch.

If Sun Ah and gang caught on that Yo Han is on the "good" side, they should throw a case at him where the defendant is innocent but being framed. It would be interesting to see how Yo Han would handle that.

So envious that you have all these new episodes to binge!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Episode 10

Now that I've watched the episode in full, I feel like I owed Soo Hyun an apology for jumping onto conclusion about her (and Ga On being reckless). Ha-ha. She didn't use a gun this time because her gun was confisticated. She had to go alone because no one would help her & thinks she's only handling one person but luckily Ga On went with him and later on joined by Yo Han. They had a plan and Elijah helped. They are working as a team. Good good.

Still, a show is a show no matter how great the action scene was (technically not that impressive) but my point is more on they were still outnumbered and are able to out-fight all the thugs. But I'll let it slide because at least Yo Han was smart enough to fight with a pole—a much more reasonable approach than Lee Je Hoon fighting with bare fists in Taxi Driver.

I really enjoy the scene between Yo Han and Sun Ah. Yo Han seems to turn on his sexy charm full power whenever he's with her, probably & obviously toying/playing along. So so smexy, don't you think @Chocolate @im0202? I really love the bit when he said he'll think about Sun Ah's request, and she responded with both her hands as per below gif. I doubt this is something from the script so it had to be all from Kim Min Jung and Ji Sung. :wow: I just love it when the actors have great chemistry and dynamics.

img.gif

Spoiler

See, so charming...

img.gif

source

There's a couple of scenes that didn't appear from the E10 preview. One was Ga On being outdoor and there were others around him running and then one with Yo Han saying their plan has failed. None of this were shown in E10 so is this plan about Sun Ah's interference or something else?

From what's revealed by Cha Kyung Hee on Sun Ah's past, it doesn't seem like it's a humble beginnings. I doubt it is too purely because she's a bit cuckoo. If she'd kill Chairman Seo, it can only suggest as Cha Kyung Hee mentioned she might have killed her own parents. I also think she finds her past being a maid shameful or not something she's proud of. Like Cha Kyung Hee said, "lowlife" and she seems convinced of it herself. Social status in South Korea has always been an issue since the ancient times.

E11 preview looks like Sun Ah got her hands on the actress who once helped Yo Han in the trial of Cha Kyung Hee's son. I hope Yo Han can turn the table around on this, as well as whatever Jin Joo is up. I want Yo Han to be smart and win in the end for each episode or case but I don't mind a little challenge is thrown at him to make the show interesting. I just hope it isn't at the cost of betrayal/death since that lady knows the rest of the guys in this vigilante quest.

7 hours ago, bairama said:

But one thing disturbs me is the way Yohan losing his control when saving Elijah. There is camera, and he just choke the man. I'm not expecting that coming from him with such details & anticipation of his every moves. At least, not for that kind of act. Did Yohan-Gaon-Elijah took care of the records? Will public have problem with it if leaked? "The Chief Judge Kang Yohan Loses Himself" kind of headline.. Or it's just a plot hole?

Juk Chang has told his minion to switch off the camera and only record the audio when Soo Hyun went to tend to the beaten foreigner. So when Yo Han choked Juk Chang, the camera (I believe) was off. I'm sure smarty pants Yo Han can easily turn this in his favour. Juk Chang is now the loser and Yo Han can easily play with the public's sympathy that Juk Chang was attacked his one and only family left.

LOL @Chocolate you should totally build Ji Sung a shrine! Those Esquire photos are :wow:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 2
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

So envious that you have all these new episodes to binge!

Indeed it's quite nice to binge this kind of story. I will soon reach the agony of waiting for a week though, haha... and thanks for tagging me back to continue the drama, otherwise I would miss out watching the charismatic Ji Sung as the Devil Judge. 

I haven't back read on the comments. Will proceed with caution so as not to be spoiled. Which is all the more urgent I need to catch up to the latest episode, haha...

• Haha 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

5 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I really enjoy the scene between Yo Han and Sun Ah. Yo Han seems to turn on his sexy charm full power whenever he's with her, probably & obviously toying/playing along. So so smexy, don't you think @Chocolate @im0202?

LOL @Chocolate you should totally build Ji Sung a shrine! Those Esquire photos are 

He's smexy everywhere! Even at the dinner with Ga On, Elijah and the housekeeper, the way he looked at everyone - his eyes :love:

The thing is, it seems incredibly difficult to find anything on Ji Sung. I googled Ji Sung CF/advertisements once and all there was is the mattress ad with his wife. Btw, do all married couples film mattress ads? There's one with Rain and Kim Tae Hee too lol. And like you say, Ji Sung could also be the idol, so it's all very messy.

• Haha 4
2 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Even at the dinner with Ga On, Elijah and the housekeeper, the way he looked at everyone - his eyes

True. I've been searching for GIFs on this scene - from the bit that he was going for the egg but Ga On moved it to Elijah and he was giving Ga On the look (a bit of jealousy there). And one with him having the spoon in his mouth. The rest I have seen GIFs.

48d60f8b8f72be4204124c6ba37f2765f08fc682

Spoiler

340ed005277b2ec414d69fe4c63c6ae494897742

57733a406418e5199ca2d5a2bd3c8c618545fd8b

I think you'll like this one too.

c4ec53978e64d4e8a6ef948480ca01a93077190d

Spoiler

ac6d81ab8e0f0b1672dab057afc8ec2e7f10959f4ca6759e4b641def50ed4b713e4153ed22274cca

b17e5856b538c074e8599c04b30db07a415c8fc5

• Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

@mademoiselle @Chocolate 

With all our ogling I think this is fast becoming a part-time Ji Sung shrine! 🤣🤣🤣

I managed to squeeze in Ep 10 before work today. Saw the preview for Ep 11 and seems like we’ll be getting more of the Yohan-SunAh combo! I’m not complaining. 

Btw, I loved the scene between Cha Kyunghee and Sun-ah in Ep 9. More of these two women in the same scene please! 

• Haha 4

Episode 5

- Whoa, the ending... so Sun-ah is the supposedly dead maid of the family? That's very unexpected, and how did she come to such power too? I was a bit disappointed that Yohan was so easily subdued and taken captive. Sure he'd be fine because there are still many episodes ahead, but handcuffed to a chair? That could be his end if not for Sun-ah still crushing on him perhaps? And why did she mentioned about teacher after the ruling? Was she his teacher in the past? Anyway, Sun-ah is so annoyingly smug to watch. She is creepy. The actress is good though.

- The President is so childish wanting to up his popularity by doing a live vlog. His bodyguards were scrambling around not to be caught by the camera, lol...

- I guess it's Ga-on's sincerity that made Yohan a bit flustered and actually ate a meal prepared for him. I also love seeing how Elijah is comfortable interacting with him now. 

- It was brave of Ga-on to call Yohan out that he himself had not acknowledged his own trauma. The flashback cum imagination of Yohan stopping his father from hitting him was nicely done. He finally was able to "stand up" to his father. I still wonder why the father took it out on him physically. What's the old man's problem? 

- Interesting that Ga-on will soon have to decide whose side will he take. Appreciate that his mentor encouraged him to make a decision too. I hope their relationship remains good since I'm guessing Ga-on will choose to stand on Yohan's side soon? 

- It's really sad and very concerning for me to see the little kids mimicking the flogging. Because it's shown to public, no doubt some kids might've seen it. It might've been a bad idea to have the flogging aired to the public. Maybe just a short coverage attended by witnesses representing the public. Having said this, I looked up a bit on how caning is done in Singapore. It's really brutal what they do in prison (compared to in schools). Some actually left the person punished by caning with long-term injury, including bowel and erectile problems. There are of course arguments calling for this corporal punishment to be rid of. The executors are trained to deliver each stroke with a certain velocity and each executor will only do a maximal of six strokes because after that, their power is believed to be not as strong because the purpose is to inflict maximum pain. Brutal, I will say again. 

- The case of this episode. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for how Yohan will resolve the punishment for the sex offender actor. I'd say the solution was creative as instead of agreeing or opposing the physical castration, he proposed the jail time be served at a special prison for sex offenders. But the video clip that followed the ruling was distasteful in my opinion. Prison time is supposed to reform the person, but the clip made it seems like it's okay if a sexual crime is committed within the prison walls. I rolled my eyes at the inmates "welcoming" the actor. That clip was not necessary. 

- Anyway, it seems like there's no set of law that this country goes by? I don't remember any of the lawyers or prosecutors quoting a law when defending or proposing a punishment, lol.... Never mind me for trying to apply what I learned in Law School with Prof.Yang :laugh:

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 5

MTDzeiV.gif

Lol Tving has this voting event going on now for which pair’s chemistry moved/impressed you this week and the results so far are pretty one-sided to say the least! :laugh:
http://event.tving.com/View/5366?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=smrclip&utm_campaign=event_deviljudgechemi

spacer.png

But where is Yo-han/Sun-ah pairing lol it doesn’t get more intense than this two 😂

I’m glad that ratings for Ep 10 went up! Ep 9 hit a low of 4.7% National iirc. Ep 10 rose to 5.6%. 

I wished TDJ was on Netflix so it would be more talked about by i-fans.

Edited by im0202
  • Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Oh dear, Kim Min Jung has contract disputes with agency. And she has not been paid! 😱

@KoreanUpdates

#KimMinJung furthery explain abt her dispute. KimMinJung & CEO 'G' were discussing on new contract, but suddenly lost contact with 'G'. By discussing new contract means neither of them agreed for the automatic extention of the prev. contract. Bcs of this, #KimMinJung claim the contract was on hold, as there's no stamp on it. She also signed individual contract with #TheDevilJudge, so even her contract with compay ends, she still need to finish her work.

#KimMinJung also stated her appearance fee hasn't been paid since Feb. She learnt that #TheDevilJudge paid through her company, WIP, but she never heard any of it from her company.

https://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=144&aid=0000753305

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Shocked 4

6ef3f2a2c21d41bf9f76516282c7b73d.jpeg?s=

Ji Sung Is Both Down-To-Earth And Hard-Working On Set Of “The Devil Judge”

Aug 3, 2021 by L. Kim

Ji Sung’s agency Namoo Actors shared new behind-the-scenes photos of the actor on the set of his latest drama “The Devil Judge”!

“The Devil Judge” is a drama set in an alternate-universe, dystopian version of Korea where the entire nation participates in a trial through a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as Kang Yo Han, a head judge with mysterious intentions: is he a hero of the people in a world filled with chaos, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Ji Sung is receiving praise for his passionate performance in “The Devil Judge.” Through his brilliant acting, he is showing a never-before-seen side of him, and thanks to his diligent efforts to bring Kang Yo Han to life, viewers are able to immerse into the story.

The new photos show Ji Sung’s unique charms while filming the drama. Viewers can see the actor’s unrelenting passion for acting as he sincerely rehearses his parts and meticulously monitors his performance afterward.

Spoiler

ji-sung-4.jpgji-sung-1.jpg

Ji Sung also brings warmth to the set with his playful nature. In one photo, he makes viewers laugh with his adorable pout. In another photo, he takes a staff member’s role with a serious look on his face.

ji-sung-2.jpgji-sung-3.jpg

Source

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

Episode 6-7

- Disliking Sun-ah a lot, but oh wow she is good in steering people too. Will Oh Jin Joo fall for her sweet talk too? Her speech for the girls was scary and she really is psychotic the way she just use a finger to push down that director. And I guess it is confirmed she is the big bad in this drama huh, because she doesn't hesitate to dirty her own hands with other people's blood, literally. We saw how she's been so problematic even as a teenager. 

- When will Ga-on grow up and smarten up a bit? He is so easily swayed and provoked, how can he be a good judge later on? He just assumed that it's Yohan who ordered the attack on Soo Hyun because of what he said. Yohan is not to be messed with. That German scissors made it very deep into the table, I shuddered... But one good thing about Ga-on is that he has a warm heart, which is why Elijah could open up to him, and both being orphaned at young age, they could relate more. I love that Elijah is interested to know more about Ga-on parents case. 

- How cute that Yohan tried to learn from a book how to talk to teenagers... but he only read one page! haha...

- The investigation of Homes of Dream Project. Good strategy of Yohan to create division from within the elites, but the way he was exposing Ga-on's family's story without asking his permission is quite infuriating. Not surprising of course that he will do that. If I were Ga-on, I would feel very angry too. But what Yohan revealed to Ga-on at the prison was so shocking! I had wondered we're only at ep.7 but Yohan is already taking on the elites on Homes of Dream, isn't it too early? will we have enough storyline to cover? Turned out that it's gonan more complex and tangled than I expected. I guess this is where Ga-on's belief in the legal system falters. I teared up when he was wailing the injustice that happened for his parents' case. 

- Is it just me who is doubting the sincerity of Prof.Min tasking Ga-on to investigate Yohan secretly? 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 4

MTDzeiV.gif

19 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

- The case of this episode. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for how Yohan will resolve the punishment for the sex offender actor. I'd say the solution was creative as instead of agreeing or opposing the physical castration, he proposed the jail time be served at a special prison for sex offenders. But the video clip that followed the ruling was distasteful in my opinion. Prison time is supposed to reform the person, but the clip made it seems like it's okay if a sexual crime is committed within the prison walls. I rolled my eyes at the inmates "welcoming" the actor. That clip was not necessary. 

oooh interesting point here. I find it is kind of disturbing too, people may find it funny for revenge that 'in price' for what he did but also we can't make sexual assault is ok-ish for punishment? A grey moral here.

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o 

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

- Is it just me who is doubting the sincerity of Prof.Min tasking Ga-on to investigate Yohan secretly?

Hahahaha the actor Ahn Nae Sang who plays this character also makes it difficult not to doubt isn't it? Since the actor is awesome playing both the good guy and the bad.

- How cute that Yohan tried to learn from a book how to talk to teenagers... but he only read one page! haha...

Very cute. He kept having to remind himself to smile while I'm all cringing for him, "Not the right timing... just leave" :eeeee:

I teared up when he was wailing the injustice that happened for his parents' case. 

That was such a good scene and the rest of the crying scenes after that. Poor Ga On.

19 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I still wonder why the father took it out on him physically. What's the old man's problem?

I thought some where in an episode it was mentioned in the flashback. I think it's coz Yo Han reminds him of the part of him he hates. Plus Yo Han was a mistake he made too.

13 minutes ago, bairama said:

oooh interesting point here. I find it is kind of disturbing too, people may find it funny for revenge that 'in price' for what he did but also we can't make sexual assault is ok-ish for punishment? A grey moral here.

I didn't like it in the sense that how is it that the sex offenders in the prison seem so happy in the video. They should look miserable and repenting. I didn't feel bad for the defendant merely because I know once he's in there, he's going to be punished by these guys sexually and get a taste of his own.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
42 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:
20 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I thought some where in an episode it was mentioned in the flashback. I think it's coz Yo Han reminds him of the part of him he hates. Plus Yo Han was a mistake he made too.

Yes, what I remembered was that Yohan reminded him of himself, and that he will end up killing Isaac? But that was answering the Nanny’s question of why he’s being so harsh on the boy. I doubt Nanny knows about the beating, does she? I still don’t understand why he had to beat Yohan for no apparent reason... urgh! 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 5

MTDzeiV.gif

Eps 10 

I enjoyed seeing how the 4 of them ( including Soo Hyun & Elijah) work together to catch Kim Chung Sik. This is the sort of development that I have been hoping for. From having doubts and suspicion , to developing trust. The person I feel that has benefitted the most from all this is Elijah. From a gloomy teenage girl, she's become a lot happier and even the relationship between uncle and niece have improved a lot. 

The live trial was really good. In fact I have enjoyed all the trials - clearly the writer here being an ex-judge (?) is very creative. YoHan gave everyone what they wanted but he made sure he didn't make a hero out of Kim Chung Sik. Without thinking out of the box, you'd think that he'd be punish for inciting locals to go against the foreign workers. But that would only play into the President's hands & may even raise more nutcases like that . However YoHan knew a much better way to make this guy pay. He got him the probation he wanted & a taste of his own medicine. But more importantly YoHan is telling Sun A that he isn't that easy to control. The only thing that surprised me was that Minister Cha agreed quite easily to having this trial . But then again, she is no fan of President since he replaced her as candidate a few years back. She is just biding time before she gets rid of him. I am excited seeing  YoHan's strategy in quietly creating doubts among the 3 of them ( SunA, Cha and President). He is just waiting for this house of cards to fall. 

------------

In this subbed BTS , Jin Young got to learn from the best. Ji Sung giving him some acting tips to deal with the scene

From 2:33

• Heart Eyes 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Oh gosh, I'm at the end of ep.8 and I had to pause... What was Soo Hyun thinking getting out of the car by herself without back up to confront the gang? She has a minor under her charge!! One who is handicapped too and not able to defend herself!! I cannot continue watching just yet, because I don't think I will have time to go into ep.9 immediately...

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Untitled-1-1024x683.jpg

Ji Sung Discusses His Drama Career And Character In ‘Devil Judge’

Aug 3, 2021,08:40am EDT|24 views

Contributor: Joan MacDonald

A man with dark hair and an embroidered vest listens patiently.Ji Sung plays the mysterious and often cruel judge Kang Yo-han. STUDIO DRAGON

Ji Sung is a very modest actor. When asked how he prepares to play characters as diverse as the split personalities of Cha Do-hyun in Kill Me, Heal Me, the hopeless chaebol in Protect The Boss or the terrifying judge Kang Yo-han in the current tvN drama Devil Judge, he says it requires considerable preparation.

“I’m always on the lookout for ways to help in understanding my characters,” he said. “Getting immersed into a character isn’t very difficult for me. Whenever I meet a new character for a project, I prepare very earnestly to portray the character. I’m not an actor with incredible talent, so I believe preparing diligently is the answer for me.”

Korean drama fans might argue with Ji Sung’s statement that he lacks incredible talent and the acting awards he’s won, including more than one grand prize, also contradict his humble opinion. In Kill Me, Heal Me alone, he convincingly plays several different characters. He’s played a variety of memorable roles in popular comedies and melodramas, including All In, Save The Last Dance For Me, My Familiar Husband and Secret Love.  

He plays the telegenic judge Kang Yo-han in the Devil Judge, which is set in Korea in a dystopian future. In the drama, Yo-han presides over court cases that are televised and voted on by the public, much like current idol singing contests. While viewers in the drama applaud the show for bringing justice to the corrupt rich and powerful, there are obvious flaws to such a system. The public is easily influenced and some of Yo-han’s sentences are cruel. Also, he has an agenda that’s based on his own past trauma. While creating the complex character Ji Sung focused on Yo-han’s back story, “I trained myself to constantly visualize Yo-han’s life,” said Ji Sung. “I did my best to understand his life and create the kind of emotions he would have felt in his life. Even if I couldn’t understand him, I accepted him wholly. Throughout production, all I thought about was the life of Yo-han. And it made me wonder about the kind of justice he needed.”

Spoiler

Could a world with a legal system like the one in Devil Judge actually come to be? It’s possible. Some aspects of letting the public decide the fate of others already exist.

“It is possible in real life and so I felt uneasy when I read the script,” said Ji Sung. “On top of that, I questioned myself if I could fully understand my role as Kang Yo-han. And there were also times when I felt uncomfortable with trusting my character during some scenes because there were moments when I struggled to grasp Yo-han’s thoughts and behavior.”

The mysterious Yo-han makes some seemingly inexplicable decisions during the course of the drama, but if they seem hard to believe, it’s noteworthy that the drama’s writer is a former judge.

“If our writer, Moon You-suk, wasn’t a former judge, my character might not even exist in this show,” said Ji Sung, with a laugh. “But I hope that our future will be nothing like that in Devil Judge. I hope that the generation who take their first steps into our world will see nothing but a positive future full of hopes and dreams.” 

Ji Sung has a theory as to why dystopian plots are so popular.

“I believe the world we live in is important because it’s a place for everyone, not just myself,” he said. “However, at times, we cause each other confusion and pain. And as long as we are in this world, we are bound to live in this confusion. Despite this, humanity is precious. And that message, when conveyed through a dystopian future, holds more meaning and leaves a stronger impression on more viewers. Devil Judge exists in a dystopian world to deliver the significance that we must cherish the beauty of mankind instead of overlooking it.”

Ji Sung hopes that the drama can serve as a warning about the possibility of such a dystopian future. 

“As an adult currently living in this world, I want to give the kids a beautiful future where hopes and dreams come true. I hope we won’t face such a dystopian future like in the show.”

Ji Sung first dreamed of becoming an actor when he was 18 and watched Dustin Hoffman’s convincing performance in the film Rain Man.

“To sum it up briefly, Dustin Hoffman’s acting drew me into a whole new world,” he said.

He decided to become an actor, hopefully a Hollywood star, but others thought he ought to choose a more practical career. 

“When I was in school and my teachers or friends asked me what I wanted to be, I was bold enough to say my dream was to become a Hollywood actor, although everyone thought I was chasing a pipe dream,” he said, laughing again.  “In retrospect, my childhood dream of becoming a Hollywood star acting alongside Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise sounds quite sincere and adorable. Acting itself captivates me in spades, but my passion to prepare myself to play and express a new character has been a new captivating part of my career lately. And when I study my character for production and get up on stage, I feel alive.”

The roles Ji Sung takes are all very different and many might be seen as bold choices, but they do have one thing in common.

“I don’t hesitate to go after the role that moves my heart,” he said.

Source

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1