The Silent Sea / Sea of Silence 고요의 바다 [2021]

ktcjdrama

@mademoiselle Yes, I do think that the original Luna might have been her daughter. If so, it is horrific that as a mother, she could bear to see a clone looking exactly like her own dead child - dying over and over again so that her goal of replenishing the earth's water would come true.

• Like 5

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

I just binge watched all of the episodes, and I really loved most of it. The plot was a bit preposterous, but despite that, it kept me watching without taking many breaks.

I especially loved the chemistry of the crew in the early episodes, and even as it turned into more of a horror drama with social commentaries, it was the cast that kept me wanting to watch where they took their characters and the drama.

I had forgotten how much I loved Gong Yoo and his soft-spoken deliveries, and he worked so well with Bae Doona's ethnologist/astro-biologist. They are both such stellar actors. They didn't need even a hint of romance to keep their characters engaging with each other and with the viewers. Kim Sun Young as the outspoken doctor and Lee Moo Saeng as the sardonic and very competent head of security were also pretty fantastic.

The one who surprised me the most was Lee Joon though. Fresh back from the military and having put on some muscle weight, he looked good in this drama and more importantly, his acting fit well into this ensemble cast. The rest in a spoiler since it's a spoiler.

Spoiler

Lee Joon's character went from being a reserved military type who unexpectedly joins the task force to Balhae Station to a villain who (along with another member of the crew) attempts to steal the water samples for a mercenary corporation and eliminate the rest of the team to a late reveal that he had been a member of the security team 5 years ago on the mission that Bae Doona's sister had been on. The events then had so traumatized him that he decided to go completely rogue. 

As far as plots go, I feel it was a bit late to throw that last twist in, and I couldn't muster up much sympathy for him after he had killed his own teammates then and now.

However, Lee Joon handled his part deftly, and he still has that coldly unnerving stare that he can muster up when he's being villainous. Before he went to the military, he had been an actor who made interesting choices of projects, and I really have to commend him for choosing this project and this role as his comeback.

This drama, like a number of recent hits, was heavy on social commentary, as well as giving us just a bit of hope that there are still decent people even when they are in tough circumstances.  I do like the shorter episode count for this drama, however, which kept the script tighter than it might have been otherwise. It felt more like a really long movie than the usual kdrama.

I'm just happy to watch Gong Yoo again in a drama since I ended up dropping Goblin, and that teaser of him in Squid Game really wasn't enough.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 4

The cast playing Jenga. :laugh:

@stroppyse Lee Joon is equally as impressive in Bulgasal too. He plays evil really well and Bulgasal got a lot more interesting with his appearance. 

I'm about halfway with this series. I've been watching it on and off alternating with Racket Boys. 

• Like 6

Just completed. I was trying to avoid spoilers and saw some initial feedback was not so great. But I enjoyed it. Although there was little adrenaline rush, it was suspenseful. At many parts, especially before Luna was revealed, I had to close my eyes and ears each time they stared into a corridor or a door for fear something sinister would pop out 😂

I just have a question. What caused the flooding of the station? I understand it started when the lunar water broke and multiplied because there was live blood from the guy who died. But didn’t he already die or would have died soon? How did it multiply to fill such a deep shaft? Was it because there were live plants?

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

@Chocolate Yes, the flooding is due to the fact that there were live plants. As long as there was living organism in contact with the lunar water, it would continue to multiply. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

13 hours ago, Tofu said:

Lee Joon is equally as impressive in Bulgasal too. He plays evil really well and Bulgasal got a lot more interesting with his appearance. 

I didn't realize that he was in Bulgasal, but now I'm going to have to check that drama out. Thanks for mentioning it.

Also, thanks for posting the Jenga match.

12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

It's the first time I see them play Jenga game so seriously and "evil" (putting it vertical). LOL! And gosh, I love Gong Yoo - I can't describe it - like he's so playful?? Hahaha

Wow, the vertical was evil, and initiated by Lee Joon, though gleefully followed up by everyone else! I loved how the cast were so playful as well, totally relaxed and teasing each other, though LJ seemed a bit reserved as fitting the youngest member of the cast.

Btw, I think Kim Sun Young definitely has a bit of a crush on Lee Joon. Anyone else think so? Not just in the Jenga clip but in other press and promotional events, there is a bit of an ajumma crush on a hot, young co-star. Then again, I suppose I've also been blown away by this post-army Lee Joon. :heart:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Wow, the vertical was evil, and initiated by Lee Joon, though gleefully followed up by everyone else! I loved how the cast were so playful as well, totally relaxed and teasing each other, though LJ seemed a bit reserved as fitting the youngest member of the cast.

Lee Joon reaped the seed he sowed since he lost the game :lol:

17 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Btw, I think Kim Sun Young definitely has a bit of a crush on Lee Joon. Anyone else think so? Not just in the Jenga clip but in other press and promotional events, there is a bit of an ajumma crush on a hot, young co-star.

Yes I think so too. She meant what she said in R88 - "All handsome guy is Oppa" :lmao2:

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Lee Joon reaped the seed he sowed since he lost the game

So true! Even better that at first it seemed as if LJ was going to have succeeded in taking that last block out, then the slow crumble of the Jenga blocks. And his face as he watched it crumble. :lol: I honestly don't know if I've enjoyed watching a Jenga promo more.

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Yes I think so too. She meant what she said in R88 - "All handsome guy is Oppa"

Excellent quote!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...