Grid 그리드 / Zero 제로 [2022]

I watched episode 3. I agree, we are definitely accumulating more questions than answers. Perhaps the story would flow better if all episodes were released together or at least 2 were provided per week. 10 total is do-able for me though. Just hoping the mystery will start to come together at the midpoint. I think sci-fi is a difficult genre to master so I will consider that as well. The last Korean sci-fi series that I watched was Sisyphus: The Myth and I only did it for Cho Seung Woo. Comparing this to that, Grid is faring much better so far. LOL. (By the way, C-drama Reset was excellent!)

The circumstances surrounding Sae Ha's father's death is very strange. I mean, Sae Ha was a witness too. Why was his life spared by Ghost? Was it because he was an innocent child or maybe he is important to the future. I think it is possible Director Choi may have already been involved with Ghost back then and she knows what really happened.

It is also strange that Sae Byeok was attacked by Ghost with the same hand device, but she did not die like Sae Ha's father and the sniper guy from the Investigation Bureau. Back in 2005 when the solar winds were coming for earth, she was not able to take shelter inside the school with the others and was outside. I wonder if that incident has something to do with her surviving the hand device. I am not sure if Ghost intended to spare her life.

I noticed that Ghost binge eats all things sugary - cakes, chocolate and cola. Strange as well.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
On 3/6/2022 at 6:54 AM, peperomia said:

I noticed that Ghost binge eats all things sugary - cakes, chocolate and cola. Strange as well.

She seems to be getting physically weaker - I wonder it the sugary stuff is meant to give her some energy? But her ability  to control time & dimensions is on a level that I am unable to understand - the guy clearly escaped but she was able to reset it and he's back in the jail she put him in. What is not clear is what happens to the rest of the world, each time she does things like that. 

Eps 4 had some interesting reveals:

1. I always had this inkling that Sae Byuk and Song Eo Jin knew each other , but I was surprised that they were ex-spouses. No wonder the animosity. The episode does give hints as to why the marriage broke down - SB with her temper and Eo Jin with his tendencies to keep things to himself ( I think given his job, perhaps he had a lot of secrets he had to hide.)  Eo Jin clearly still cares for Sae Byuk.

2. I thought SaeHa's boss knows who he is - that he is the dead janitor's son. But it seems she doesn't . SaeHa given how skilled he is may have been able to change his identity and declared himself dead. I was surprised he was adopted.

3. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that SaeHa's father was killed the way he was. It wasn't just that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Ghost didn't kill anyone off except him - and you wonder if SaeHa's father is merely just a janitor. Now that Ghost has entered SaeHa's home - I am beginning to wonder SaeHa is her main target here. I don't think she wants to kill him or anything like that, but does she want to use him? Or is he someone she needs to protect? 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Ep 4

Tbh I started to get lost on this drama. The employee all so unlikeable , except Saeha. The young office lady annoyed me the most, followed by the boss and that glasses guy ( I love him so much in Juvenile Justice and he's just an unfeeling character here, I guess he did have good acting since he can showed up as totally different person ). 

It started to get repetitive too, the office spying and ghost chasing. I hope it's not becoming Sisyphus II 😅😂, as it started to feel like that. 

I like SH and SB interaction at least, this what make me stay to watch it. I secretly wishing for some slight romance between them. 

• Haha 4

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

On 3/10/2022 at 12:37 AM, abs-oluteM said:

She seems to be getting physically weaker - I wonder it the sugary stuff is meant to give her some energy? But her ability  to control time & dimensions is on a level that I am unable to understand - the guy clearly escaped but she was able to reset it and he's back in the jail she put him in. What is not clear is what happens to the rest of the world, each time she does things like that.

It did cross my mind whether the sugary stuff is a source of energy for her. One other thought that came to my mind is whether the constant time-traveling and resetting weakens her. Yes, good question on the ripple effects of her changing the sequence of events. Not sure if she is acting as things happen or if all of this is directed toward a planned result.

1. I always had this inkling that Sae Byuk and Song Eo Jin knew each other , but I was surprised that they were ex-spouses. No wonder the animosity. The episode does give hints as to why the marriage broke down - SB with her temper and Eo Jin with his tendencies to keep things to himself ( I think given his job, perhaps he had a lot of secrets he had to hide.)  Eo Jin clearly still cares for Sae Byuk.

I was surprised too. I thought they might have possibly dated in the past, but I never thought they would be ex-spouses. I agree it is apparent Eo Jin still cares for Sae Byeok, but he has his reasons for keeping things from her. I am curious to know what it is – is it related to his job or it is personal?

2. I thought SaeHa's boss knows who he is - that he is the dead janitor's son. But it seems she doesn't . SaeHa given how skilled he is may have been able to change his identity and declared himself dead. I was surprised he was adopted.

3. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that SaeHa's father was killed the way he was. It wasn't just that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Ghost didn't kill anyone off except him - and you wonder if SaeHa's father is merely just a janitor. Now that Ghost has entered SaeHa's home - I am beginning to wonder SaeHa is her main target here. I don't think she wants to kill him or anything like that, but does she want to use him? Or is he someone she needs to protect?

Since Ghost did not kill Sae Ha along with his father, it makes me suspect he is important to the future and to her agenda. We do not know what she did in his mother’s room yet, but it seems she has been keeping tabs on him and may be doing things to steer him toward a certain direction.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:57 AM, SilverMoonTea said:

I like SH and SB interaction at least, this what make me stay to watch it. I secretly wishing for some slight romance between them.

Oh, let’s see if there will be any kind of romance brewing. With Eo Jin and Sae Byeok being ex-spouses and Eo Jin and Sae Ha are coworkers, this would make the character relationships more interesting. :smug:

I do feel Sae Ha and Sae Byeok have a trust with each other. For example, the fake handprint took effort and it broke laws, but she did it for him anyway. He is always secretive and mysterious, yet he shares information with her. If he had not been open about how his father had died by the hands of Ghost, she would not have figured out that his real surname is Lee, not Kim. Surprisingly, Director Choi – even with her position at the Bureau – has not figured it out yet.

Did anyone get strange vibes from Director Jo during the video call with Director Choi? Director Choi wants to catch Ghost, but based on the questions she has for her, she seems concerned about the future of mankind and wants to know why she had killed Sae Ha’s father. Whereas Director Jo’s big question is how time-travel is possible. Compared to Director Choi, I feel like he could be the one at the Bureau with ulterior motives.

The pacing of the story is slow and we are given crumbles of information each episode so far. We reach the halfway point on Wednesday. I am hoping we will get some kind of a significant revelation to move the plot forward.

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@SilverMoonTea @peperomia For me the show isn't too bad - it is interesting enough that I would want to watch the next episode. But agree with Peperomia that pacing is slow for a 10 episode drama  and made worse by a once a week airing. 

I was just reading this article - they were saying that this is actually a pretty good show coming from the writer of Secret Forest but they say that Disney + is terrible at promoting it and don't understand how to market it using the OTT platform (unlike Netflix.)  They say that there is so little buzz ( hardly can find good or bad reviews). They should not have released just one episode a week for such a genre as audience will lose momentum and a sense of immersion . They also say that Disney + is not taking advantage of the global market that platforms like that can tap into. In SK it does take 1st or 2nd place viewership for OTT platforms but It is not marketed in many places abroad ( Grid is only showing in HK and Taiwan apart from its domestic market). 

https://news.jtbc.joins.com/article/article.aspx?news_id=NB12050976

This actor , Cha Seon Woo will cameo as SB's brother

NISI20220315_0000951496_web.jpg?rnd=2022

• Insightful 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

@abs-oluteM Same with you. The story is not bad for me. It is interesting, but just slow so far. It would be great if we start to get some answers over the next few episodes. I am glad you plan to continue. Hope SilverMoonTea does too. Haha.

I am in agreement with the article. I have Disney+ U.S. and was disappointed that Grid was not available while Snowdrop is. This was strange to me. Given how successful Netflix has been with marketing dramas, I am surprised Disney is not following similar strategies. Maybe they will eventually figure it out. :yayaya:

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
On 3/16/2022 at 3:59 AM, peperomia said:

Hope SilverMoonTea does too. Haha.

:yayaya:

Hahaha yes I'm still here somehow.

Managed to finish episode 5, just try to vibing but then dozed off almost the whole episode 😂 Wake up again when there is some shipping material, like how her brother sort of thinking she's in relationship with SH. And her ex husband start to develop jealousy as she mentioned his name casually, Kim Saeha-shi? Not sure how this indicate closeness that send him a bit mad? As she still use honorifics shi? Anyway I pick all of this as signal that there could be some potential romance in the making 😅 This author always teasing me, same as in Secret Forest, and I always fell into the trap 😂

ezgif-com-gif-maker-1.gif

Storywise I don't think it's progressing much at all. Still busy chasing the ghost, not that interesting? Oh but I think SH might have some intention to time travel back with his mom, so she can be healthy again? 

And regarding the bounty rewards, I sensed it might bring new victims as the bounty hunter might get touched by Ghost and will find demise instead? 

Ep 6 preview

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Storywise I don't think it's progressing much at all. Still busy chasing the ghost, not that interesting? Oh but I think SH might have some intention to time travel back with his mom, so she can be healthy again? 

And regarding the bounty rewards, I sensed it might bring new victims as the bounty hunter might get touched by Ghost and will find demise instead? 

@SilverMoonTea Other than finding out why Ghost had killed his dad, I also think Sae Ha's reason to catch Ghost is to time-travel and change the event that caused her condition. The scene of him laying next to mom on her bed and him saying, “We’re almost there, mom." seems to indicate so. I agree the bounty situation will cause more harm than good. The cleaning lady was close to danger and the two guys vanished.

There was not much development in episode 5, but I thought some things were interesting (however, more questions):

• Ghost did not harm Sae Ha’s mom at the end of episode 4, but why did she stand-in as a caregiver?
  • Sae Byeok brought up Ghost’s abnormal DNA again which is out of alignment. Her theory is the damage may be caused by Ghost teleporting. This condition should be painful and exhausting. So, if true, why is Ghost doing it anyway?
  • Sae Ha proposed to the Bureau to put out fake news that the grid is breaking down to lure Ghost to reappear there again. His theory is since she built the grid and brought it back in time, it must be needed for the future that she comes from. Otherwise, she would not care and teleport back for it.
  • The grid seems to be working fine. Most people at the Bureau seem interested in catching Ghost to monopolize on time-travel. Sae Ha has personal reason, his mom. The other people at the Bureau seem greedy.
  • Sae Ha had a flashback from his childhood where it looked like his mom was contemplating suicide. This makes me wonder if her comatose condition is a result of a suicide attempt.
  • Sae Byeok had another theory that Ghost may only be able to time-travel alone. Could it be the device in her hand that enables teleporting?
3 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Hahaha yes I'm still here somehow.

Managed to finish episode 5, just try to vibing but then dozed off almost the whole episode 😂 Wake up again when there is some shipping material, like how her brother sort of thinking she's in relationship with SH. And her ex husband start to develop jealousy as she mentioned his name casually, Kim Saeha-shi? Not sure how this indicate closeness that send him a bit mad? As she still use honorifics shi? Anyway I pick all of this as signal that there could be some potential romance in the making 😅 This author always teasing me, same as in Secret Forest, and I always fell into the trap 😂

I am glad you are still here. Just 5 more episodes. The shipping material and whether there is a potential romance should be worth staying, right? LOL. The writer definitely teased us in Secret Forest. I loved it though. Always made me smile.

By the way (and off topic), I just finished Juvenile Justice. It was really good so thanks for the rec! Kim Mu Yeol's character and story was my favorite. It took me awhile to recognize him as the actor playing Eo Jin here. Both characters in look and personality are drastically different. 

• Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Hello Chingu's going to check this drama out. Hopefully I get hooked and come back and comment on what I watched. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

On 3/18/2022 at 4:02 AM, peperomia said:

Sae Byeok brought up Ghost’s abnormal DNA again which is out of alignment. Her theory is the damage may be caused by Ghost teleporting. This condition should be painful and exhausting. So, if true, why is Ghost doing it anyway?

Each time she teleports , she seems to get weaker...I think she does it only when she has no choice but to do so. Like when they exposed her identity and the citizens were trying to catch her. 

I wouldn't say that nothing has happened in eps 5. In some ways with this new strategy to get the citizens involved, it bore some fruit. At least SB crossed paths with Ghost, and at the end of the episode was able to come face to face with the murderer. There are still plenty of unanswered questions of course. The only thing I can be certain is that Ghost is here because she needs to ensure that the Grid remains up and running - so this means that she's come back to this point in time because the Grid may be what is needed for her survival in the future. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Hello 
|i tried to find this drama but none of the drama's sites I watch is airing it right now. Drama Cool isn't a safe site for me to use 

:letalQQ:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Some stills for episode 6 which looks intense. 

On 3/19/2022 at 7:25 AM, abs-oluteM said:

I wouldn't say that nothing has happened in eps 5. In some ways with this new strategy to get the citizens involved, it bore some fruit. At least SB crossed paths with Ghost, and at the end of the episode was able to come face to face with the murderer. There are still plenty of unanswered questions of course. The only thing I can be certain is that Ghost is here because she needs to ensure that the Grid remains up and running - so this means that she's come back to this point in time because the Grid may be what is needed for her survival in the future. 

I agree. Based on the preview and stills, I wonder if Sae Byeok manages to catch Kim Ma Nok, but the Bureau ends up taking him away with them. Will this be why Ghost appears at their headquarters? I hope she doesn't save KMN again. I don't think I've heard him speak a word yet. LOL. It would be nice to know more about him and how he may be connected to Ghost or her purpose.

The higher ups at the Bureau seem greedy. They are more interested in her time travel technology than the grid now. Major Im is telling his agents to kill her, if needed, to secure her device. I believe these orders come from Director Jo. Without her, how would they be able to maintain the grid if anything were to go wrong with it?

========

I thought this was funny. Seo Kang Jun is partially my motivation for being here, but this person is solely here for Kim Mu Yeol. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 3/23/2022 at 1:56 PM, peperomia said:

thought this was funny. Seo Kang Jun is partially my motivation for being here, but this person is solely here for Kim Mu Yeol. :laugh:

Seo KJ was the reason I stuck on despite the pacing, but I think our patience is well rewarded because eps 6 was just the best. So much was revealed that I am trying to process them all.

@SilverMoonTea make sure you watch. 

But first off ...the whole time does not flow theory..any thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Haha 1

@abs-oluteM I am going to miss SKJ after this series is done. He is so good with intense and emotional expressions. I love it. I am starting to take notice of Kim Mu Yeol too. I liked this scene of them together.

I agree there was more traction in episode 6. However, when Ghost told Eo Jin that "time doesn't flow", not gonna lie, my brain hurt a little. LOL. Based on what I tried to read about it, the post you shared seems to sum it up. From our perspectives, time passes, but in the case of the whole universe, the past, present and future all exist simultaneously. I am curious how this connects to the story and to Sae Ha wanting to change events.

Not to make things more complicated, but here is a post of Lee Si Young in an interview saying that there are 3 Ghosts. What...?! Ghost who is captured by the Bureau and Ghost who is the caregiver of Sae Ha’s mom do look somewhat different. Hmmm...

@SilverMoonTea Hope we didn't lose you. Please watch with us.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Haha 1

I guess the whole drama came to life from this idea 

11 hours ago, peperomia said:

"time doesn't flow"

Lee Soo Yeon said, “At first the title was just ‘O,’ or a circle. It was about how time doesn’t flow, how time is a concept made for the convenience of humans, and that time and space have no end or beginning. I liked that it was a circle and could be read as the letter ‘O,’ but I also wanted a title that everyone could pronounce the same. That’s why I naturally chose ‘Grid’ as the title, since the drama introduces the concept of ‘the Grid.' (SOOMPI)

main-qimg-3f3fcc7a1994514d51998da2caf783

Have a look at this spiral, which manipulates that motion-memory part inside of our brains. After staring at the thing, look at the picture below it. Notice the motion happening where no actual change exists at all. ( Credit Quora - Tom)

The galaxy picture really start to move ! 

@abs-oluteMTbh this unended concept reminded me of Sisyphus, aren't the ending they're continuously being in a loop? 😅 

I tried to read more about timewrap as apparently the writer got the idea from some sci fi movie where she want to reverse it and this is Me Now :BulbaConfused: (all my brain cell swirling together with that spiral 🤣, sorry for making everyone dizzy together with this post LOLs) 

(P.s : I not sure which movie she watched, I can't find in article the title, let me know if anyone can found out). 

@mademoiselleI somehow fully awake too. It's surprisingly an interesting episode. SKJ really do a good job on scene where he demanded the shooter to give their gun for him to investigate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@SilverMoonTea Wow, the spiral made me dizzy, but the galaxy picture moving afterward is pretty neat. I do recall reading articles about LSY's inspiration for Grid and believe there is an overarching message about saving and protecting earth. I am thinking the insertion of the concept "time doesn't flow" in the story is meant to remind viewers that climate issues are not problems of the future, but they have happened (past) and are happening (present).

I did get some vibes of Sisyphus from episode 6 as well. LOL. I am going have faith in LSY that she will not let us down on the ending though. Fingers crossed.

I am also curious to know which movie she watched. If anyone finds out the title, do let me know as well.

10 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

SKJ really do a good job on scene where he demanded the shooter to give their gun for him to investigate.

As the intensity of the story ramps up so does SKJ's acting...I love it. Looks like we will get to see more of it in the next episode.

This scene was also very good. Not only does Sae Ha want to save his parents, but Director Choi as well. I want to hug him tightly too.

11 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

So the Ghost knows what was in store for her and she blackmailed Sae Ha to save her, right?

I do think Ghost's actions all along are pushing Sae Ha toward a certain direction. Maybe to save her and earth?

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

This week's episode continues to be interesting and engaging but provide absolutely no answers. @peperomia I don't know what's what anymore since there's barely anything revealed this episode. I do believe everything or every character we were introduce to must have a reason or link, I guess I just have to be patient and wait for another week to see if the drama will tell us.

At this point, my biggest question is who exactly is Sae Ha's real father. In the so-called original timeline, we learnt that Sae Ha was adopted and his father was a janitor. Now that he gets to travel back in time (how does he even know how to use or control the gadget is also questionable), he changed the future. It's revealed that in 1995 he looks EXACTLY like Dr. Kwon and Dr. Kwon has a son named Kwon Sae Ha. The Ghost knocked down Dr. Kwon, stole his name tag to enter the facility to install Grid (or whatever she was doing). But in this timeline, Sae Ha can't be Dr. Kwon's son because he was the son of the janitor.

:BulbaConfused:

In an attempt to change the past, Sae Ha managed to save his janitor father and look-alike father at the expense of Ghost disappearing (assuming this is because Sae Ha changed the future, but wouldn't this mean Sae Ha wouldn't be able to time travel too?) and Grid not being installed to save earth. Sae Ha goes back to 2021 where his father is Dr. Kwon but his mother is the same person. Sae Ha decided to continue with this life for a while until he saw the murderer Kim Ma Nok and a disfigured and mute Jung Sa Byeok.

He travels back to 1995 attempting to fix the Grid. I thought he would meet Ghost there but she wasn't there (which raises another question on how will he fix it when he doesn't know the whole coding?). He fought Dr. Kwon and accidentally killed him with his janitor father as the witness :shocked: but I guess fear not, uri Sae Ha just has to time travel again... LOL.

:idk:

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@mademoiselle I finally had some down time to watch episode 7 and thought it was very good - had me hooked the whole time. I agree we did not get much answers. I am just as confused as you are about how Sae Ha is the son of Kwon Su Kuen. The fact that they look exactly the same makes me believe Kwon Su Kuen is his biological father - somehow... When he realized he needed to put back the past the way it was for the sake of the grid and tearfully said sorry/goodbye to his parents, he seemed to sincerely feel that Kwon Su Kuen is his father. We knew the janitor was his adoptive father so the story would eventually need to reveal his biological father? How is this possible within the same timeline though? I hope it all will be explained well later.

Great question on how Sae Ha will complete the grid without the existence of Ghost. When she was "dying", she had told him some of the coding of the initial program. Not sure if that, combined with the current coding he may know from working at the Bureau, would be enough for him figure the rest out and install it. (He had told her they do not use the original coding. I believe he was part of the grid control team before he was transferred to the secretariat. He must know something about the current coding.)

Let's see how many times Sae Ha will need to time travel in order for him to successfully fix everything. LOL.

++++++++

I thought this was funny...exactly how we felt. I like men in glasses so I loved seeing SKJ wearing them. :wow:

Edited by peperomia
Added Tweets
  • Haha 3

I am watching this half way...and the turn of events are completely unexpected. But I think my biggest mistake was that I thought the janitor was actually SaeHa's dad. I was shocked that SH's father was the scientist that looked like him. So how come he was linked to the janitor? He used it as a fake identity? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I am watching this half way...and the turn of events are completely unexpected. But I think my biggest mistake was that I thought the janitor was actually SaeHa's dad. I was shocked that SH's father was the scientist that looked like him. So how come he was linked to the janitor? He used it as a fake identity? 

In the earlier episodes, it had mentioned Sae Ha is adopted. The show tells us the janitor was his adopted father.

The issue is if Kwon Su Kuen is Sae Ha's biological father, then why was he with the janitor father, then who was the son on the phone with Kwon Su Kuen? How can they all existed in the same timeline on the same day is the confusing bit.

@peperomia True... I totally didn't expect SKJ would be playing another role and wearing glasses. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@abs-oluteM @mademoiselle It is possible we were misled (intentionally) that the janitor was Sae Ha's adoptive father and he is the kid seen in the video. I had posted this clip from episode 6 above. When Sae Byeok told Sae Ha that she knows he is doing all of this because of his father, he does not deny it. However, when she told him that she knows he is the child in the video, he told her that he is not. I did not think much of this at first, but now I am realizing that we may have made assumptions based on the bits of the past that has been shown to us. Sae Ha is not the janitor's son and not the kid the video. If so, then who is?

@mademoiselle Seriously, what a pleasant surprise...I love it so much! LOL. I do hope we get to see a bit more of Dr. Kwon at least in the next episode. (I have not seen the preview for episode 8 yet. If anyone happens to see a post of it, please do let me know.)

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@peperomia You have a point there, except... I thought the reason Sae Ha became so obsessed with this was because he witnessed the death and saw the Ghost himself? Unfortunately I cannot remember the flashbacks anymore of his mother crying etc to confirm whether it was the same kid. I could only remember the 2005 version of him looking out the window at the solar wind because I know that child actor. From what was revealed after his first time travel back to 1995, little Kwon Sae Ha wasn't at the facility so there's no way he could have witnessed his father's death, plus Kwon Su Kuen was just unconscious, not dead.

• Like 4