Grid 그리드 / Zero 제로 [2022]

@mademoiselle Grid is the only drama I am watching right now so plan to rewatch some parts tomorrow to see if it was previously mentioned that in addition to the janitor, Dr. Kwon also had died. I thought he did because this was why Sae Ha needed to hand the badge to Ghost so she would not need to (untentionally) kill him to get it. It seemed this was the event he needed to go back and change. When he said sorry and goodbye to his parents in the changed 2021, he realized that his father (Dr. Kwon) needed to die as he had did in the original timeline in order for grid to exist and his mother will be her coma state.

I will try to confirm if Sae Ha witnessing the death of father was one of his flashbacks or if we thought it was him based on his emotional reaction in watching the video with Sae Byeok as an adult. Also, I will see if I could try to match the kids. 

• Thanks 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
4 minutes ago, peperomia said:

Grid is the only drama I am watching right now so plan to rewatch some parts tomorrow to see if it was previously mentioned that in addition to the janitor, Dr. Kwon also had died. I thought he did because this was why Sae Ha needed to hand the badge to Ghost so she would not need to (untentionally) kill him to get it.

In Sae Ha's first time travelling, he was just unconscious (burnt mark like Sae Byeok's) on his neck. In the subsequent (last) time travel with the Ghost, Sae Ha mentioned the Ghost didn't intentionally wanted to kill his father and that it was a mistake (in this, at the mo', I assume he meant janitor father). To add to this, the Ghost started feeling unwell and disappeared after janitor and son safely walked out of the building unharmed. This signified a change in the future, including the Ghost's because she came from the future.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hey @peperomia I think you are right. Look, this boy looked a lot smaller!

Thanks for finding this! Yes, little Sae Ha looks younger than the janitor's son. Also, his hair seems longer as well. I think Sae Ha being misled as the janitor's son all along could only be the explanation for his affection for Dr. Kwon and how they can be father/son. 

I also think the janitor's son could maybe be Eo Jin. There is also a mystery about him too. The janitor's son was declared dead in 2015 because the government could not locate him. There is no actual confirmation of his death. This could explain why Eo Jin is also interested in the grid and Ghost.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@peperomia Yeah I think you were right we were misled intentionally to think the janitor was his father. I was FF through episode 3 last night to the scene where he watched the stolen CCTV of the incidents and he ended with a "that's not all!" - so now I think what he said was the videos and interviews (of his boss and the security guard) made no mention about his father's death. 

That's so weird he died from the burnt mark because Sae Byeok was fine and the other police who was also attacked at the subway when chasing Kim Manok was not dead either, but severely injured. Maybe at the time, the doctors didn't know how to treat him and he died.

BTW, does that mean Sae Ha is still adopted then...? Or it's because Sae Ha faked his ID so that the bureau doesn't know he's related to Dr. Kwon.

True that the janitor's son might be someone else we know too now and likely Eo Jin. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I was FF through episode 3 last night to the scene where he watched the stolen CCTV of the incidents and he ended with a "that's not all!" - so now I think what he said was the videos and interviews (of his boss and the security guard) made no mention about his father's death.

That is a good find. Having seen episode 7 with more context of what happened in 1997, it makes sense why Sae Ha would have said that now. The public (including us viewers) did not know Kwon Su Kuen also died in the incident as well. It was not just the janitor and the omission of what happened to his father seems to have upset him all this time.

That's so weird he died from the burnt mark because Sae Byeok was fine and the other police who was also attacked at the subway when chasing Kim Manok was not dead either, but severely injured. Maybe at the time, the doctors didn't know how to treat him and he died.

I agree with you that Kwon Su Kuen dying, while the others survived the attack, is somewhat inconsistent. The difference could be that the doctors back then did not know how to treat him or it could be a plot hole for the sake of the twist.

BTW, does that mean Sae Ha is still adopted then...? Or it's because Sae Ha faked his ID so that the bureau doesn't know he's related to Dr. Kwon.

I am thinking Sae Ha was not adopted, but he faked his name to disconnect himself from his father in order to get into the Bureau.

True that the janitor's son might be someone else we know too now and likely Eo Jin. 

Eo Jin seems secretive and his backstory is also mysterious which is why I think the janitor's son could be him, but I was reading some comments today and one of them thinks the janitor's son could be Kim Ma Nok. I don't think so, but we'll see... LOL.

========

I thought this was a good catch. In addition to wearing glasses like he did in Third Charm, someone noted that he is playing dual roles again like he did for Are You Human Too? :yayaya:

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

So it's confirmed... we've been misled to think the janitor was Sae Ha's father all this time! Good one from the writer!

Turns out the janitor is Kim Manok's father and the janitor had to die for Ghost to stay alive. So now I'm guessing Kim Manok must be her father. Somehow janitor must die for her to be born, it seems... still a speculation here.

I still don't get how come Kwon Su Kuen could die on the spot whereas Sae Byeok and the other detective were fine.

Sae Ha's time-travelling didn't seem to cause any harm to him (maybe not yet). The time-travel gadget seem to be a lot more powerful as it's capable of freezing time. This time Ghost sends both Sae Ha and Sae Byeok back to the past, before Sae Ha's boss's death. The future changed a little too with Sae Ha remaining as Kwon and his mum is now healthy and fine. There's a part of me wondering if his dad would also appear from a room in their house - as I thought maybe the Ghost would travel back to 1995 but not kill his dad.

Now that the future sort of reset, I wonder what is in stall for us in the rest of the drama.

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Episode 8 was good too! We are starting to get answers. I had my money on Eo Jin turning out to be the janitor’s son, but it is Kim Ma Nok(!) which does make sense in hindsight. Based on how he had witnessed his father’s bizarre death, I can see how the trauma could have caused him turn out the way he did as an adult. Now we just need to know the connection between him and Ghost. @mademoiselle I agree with your logic that they could be father/daughter.

The latest changed 2021 is interesting so far. We see more of a shady side of Director Choi. Based on the earlier episodes, she was also present at the research center when the janitor and Dr. Kwon died in 1997, right? Sae Ha’s mother does not seem to trust her at all. It is possible that there could be more to Dr. Kwon’s death, but it is strange how Director Choi was adamant that Sae Ha work at the Bureau.

Right before the explosion, one of the female scientists recognized Sae Byeok and was about to tell her something about Ghost’s DNA. I wonder what she discovered about it. Is the degeneration related to the constant time traveling or is it because of earth's condition from the future time?

Eo Jin died in the explosion. This seemed to have softened Sae Byeok’s resentment toward him after she reset and finds him alive again. The resetting gets repetitive, but I do like how some of the characters learn to better appreciate what they have after seeing what the alternatives could be.

I also noticed Sae Ha seems less antagonistic toward Ghost. He placed the teleporting device in her hands right before the explosion. I think he is starting to understand some of her actions and the importance of her existence in the past/present. 

My favorite scene was of Sae Ha meeting with little Sae Ha. After seeing a world without the grid, he gave up his fight to save his father. So, the next best thing he could do was to give his little self some encouraging words to fight through the tough times. That hug was everything.

I also really liked how he left his mother a note and information to seek mental help. This move seemed to have kept her healthy and well.

• Clapping Hands 3

I am all caught up. While I think eps 8 had much progress, I still don't quite understand why Ghost keeps Kim Ma Nok alive. Anyway, I am sure the last two episodes will (hopefully) give us the answers we're looking for.  Think there was this moment in eps 7 ( towards the end) when Sae Ha was so happy to see both his parents alive. But then he realised that this came at the cost of the rest of humanity being gravely affected by the solar wind. I felt his pain when he knew the right thing to do was to "reset" the scenario again though it meant losing his parents. :nervous:

I have a question - when Sae Ha 1st used the object to time travel, why did he cut his hand ? He took some thing out from his vein right? 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

11 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I am all caught up. While I think eps 8 had much progress, I still don't quite understand why Ghost keeps Kim Ma Nok alive. Anyway, I am sure the last two episodes will (hopefully) give us the answers we're looking for.  Think there was this moment in eps 7 ( towards the end) when Sae Ha was so happy to see both his parents alive. But then he realised that this came at the cost of the rest of humanity being gravely affected by the solar wind. I felt his pain when he knew the right thing to do was to "reset" the scenario again though it meant losing his parents. :nervous:

Glad you are still here and caught up! :hearties: I think we lost @SilverMoonTea though. LOL. :laugh:

I think @mademoiselle's theory that Kim Ma Nok could be Ghost's father is plausible. Whatever her reason is, I also hope the big reveal is a good one. The scene of Sae Ha saying farewell to his parents in ep 7 was so heartbreaking. It made me tear up. It was also sad when he held his father's body. I can't imagine ever needing to make this kind sacrifice. :cry:

11 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I have a question - when Sae Ha 1st used the object to time travel, why did he cut his hand ? He took some thing out from his vein right? 

I believe the little metal ball acted like a microchip of some sort. It must be implanted in the forearm of the person traveling in order for the hand device to teleport him/her.

(I have been meaning to tell you. I started watching Live Up To Your Name. Kim Ah Joong looks so different there!)

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

I really liked the first 10 minutes. When Sae Ha's mom saw Sae Byeok visiting him at their house, she was so delighted! Mom seems fond of her already. LOL. Was it just me or does it seem like there are hints of romantic feelings between the two? It was sweet of her to ask him about seeing his father again and what it felt like. I could feel his emotions when he asked if she remembered the first time all her family gathered. At least he has memories with his father now. The two seem to really understand each other.

5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

More revelation!

Ghost is related to Sae Byeok too!! Kim Manok is from her paternal line and Sae Byeok is from her maternal line!

What a reveal!! It seems like Kim Ma Nok may be Ghost's great grandfather from her paternal side. As for Sae Byeok, let's say Sae Ha does not die (as he thinks he will) and they do like each other, they could possibly be great grand parents from her maternal side. Maybe this is why Ghost appears in front of them.

It looks like Sae Ha is not able to time travel anymore. He gave back the device to Ghost. This timeline seems to be the final one.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

@peperomia Seems like Sae Ha doesn't have much time with his mum. And omg, I never thought there will be romance with Sae Byeok 😅 Goodness, Sae Byeok and Sae Ha from her maternal side? Oh dear. But it doesn't necessary means Sae Byeok is her great (great) grandmother, right? Coz from maternal side could also mean Sae Byeok's little brother, isn't it?

The new trailer showed there's another person in hoodie. Wonder who that is.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
On 4/12/2022 at 7:33 AM, peperomia said:

I believe the little metal ball acted like a microchip of some sort. It must be implanted in the forearm of the person traveling in order for the hand device to teleport him/her.

The ball is connected to the brain. This was mentioned in the scene when they took the ball out of the Ghost’s arm. So I think the mind controls where they want to teleport to. Btw, can’t they use some anaesthetic? That was cruel to just cut her arm as if she is not human just because she can teleport.

The start was slow so this dropped off my radar when things got busy. But I’m back and glad to binge watch instead because I would probably have forgotten many things while waiting every week. Even now, it is still not quite clear and you all made me even more confused 😆

Going to watch 9 now.

P.S. Nothing can be as bad as Sisyphus.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 3

Finished ep9.

The more scary thought is Kim Manok + Sae Byeok = The Ghost? 😅

Chae Jongyi, the “ditzy” female colleague in AB, she visited the orphanage. Did I miss something or could she be suspicious too?

The lab technicians scanned Sae Ha and the sensor showed something. Could he have the ball in his arm again?

Despite the confusing time travel theories, parts of it seem quite straightforward:
- a person can go backwards in time but not past his own present time ie he cannot go into his future

- if something is changed in the past, the future changes too

- when he returns to his own present time, he only remembers his “real” past (ie before time travelling) but not the past of his “current” self. This seems a fake way to live so could it be that everything will revert back to the original timeline?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

BTS

On 4/16/2022 at 11:04 AM, Chocolate said:

P.S. Nothing can be as bad as Sisyphus.

:lmao2:

On 4/16/2022 at 12:57 PM, Chocolate said:

- when he returns to his own present time, he only remembers his “real” past (ie before time travelling) but not the past of his “current” self. This seems a fake way to live so could it be that everything will revert back to the original timeline?

This seems to be the same as Back to the Future. Marty McFly changed the past but when he return to "present time", he didn't remember the past he has changed too.

There are way too many time-travelling theories out there and I don't know all of them but as long as it's well done I've no complaint. With Kdrama fantasy, it's rare to have a drama well-explained. With Grid, I'll be more than happy they give us an answer as to why Ghost has to be the one or who sent her... and what's wrong with her DNA - is it due to time travelling or it was genetic passed down from Kim Manok.

• Like 2