Favorites or Memorable Drama OSTs

LaLa

giphy.gifI've been watching dramas (especially k-dramas) for more than a decade. In my opinion, there are several components of the drama that help it become popular to the viewers. Beautiful and handsome actors and actress? Checked. Great acting from the actors and actress? Checked.  Great stories and plots? Of course. Amazing cinematography? Sure. And last but not the least is a good soundtrack or background music. 

For me, a good soundtrack is quite important, as it signals the tone of the scene and creates the right atmosphere, such as increasing tension or making the viewers feel emotional. I often enjoy listening to drama OSTs and end up playing them endlessly, both while the drama is airing and when it had ended. In fact, there have been shows that I haven’t properly watched but still love the soundtrack because the songs are just so good. For those kind of songs, usually I looked it up because it's being used in variety show, a parody or someone covers it. Another reason I looked it up because I enjoy listening to the singer of the OST.

In this thread, let's us share the memorable or favorite OSTs from dramas. Please explain a little about the song. Why do you like it? Why do you think that OSTs bring more impact to the drama or movie that you watch?

It will be great if you can share it with the English lyrics or translations since not all of us might understand the song if it's not sung in English :smile:

Let me start it first with this song. The song that most of (old) kdrama fans would probably know and recognize. :laugh:

T-Max - Paradise (OST from Boys Over Flower)

At the time when the drama airs, this song will signify the entrance of the F4, the handsome school boys in Shinhwa High. :cool:

If I remember correctly this song also used as the opening theme for the drama, which makes it more memorable to the viewers' ears. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

the sounds tracks / ost for Go Ahead is still stucks in my head most of the times....not to mention the whole sounds tracks is honestly very meaningful...

it talks about the sorrow of  family, the love a family, the love of a siblings and the love of a lovers....

their heart feel emotion are really stream out in the whole sound track nicely

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

Yay thanks for opening this @LaLa I have so many favourite OSTs that I actually have a playlist of them on both YT and Spotify. I don't listen to kpop usually but I do love OSTs!

First off , my all time favourite OST from last year was Hello  from 18 Again! Every time this OST played I got teary eyed. It moves me alot and I agree with you @LaLa a good track makes all the difference for the scene

A beautiful story of 2nd chances

English Translation

Spoiler

Hello Hello Hello Hello
Hello Hello Hello Hello

One day, like a red flower blossomed my dream
You made my heart flutter
Even after a long day
You stayed by my side

I know that these times that feel like they’ll last forever
Will come to an end some day but

Hello, I’m telling you
With a trembling smile, that I love you
Hello, that in these dazzling and beautiful times
It’s you I will remember forever

Hello Hello Hello Hello
Hello Hello Hello Hello

We made a promise with tears underneath the starlight
Do you still remember us back then?

It’s still too early
For those memories to get far away

Hello, I’m telling you
With a trembling smile, that I love you

It’s you, it’s you

Hello, I’m telling you
That I love even the goodbyes with you

Hello Hello Hello Hello
Hello Hello Hello Hello

Credit
Source: Genie
Romanization: k-lyrics4u.blogspot.com
English Translation: pop!gasa

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Before We Got Married OST by Tseng Yujia - Giving In.

You can turn on the CC for Eng Sub. 

The drama has a lot of tensions already, caused by the forbidden love affair. The OST really great as it's really complement and match with the storyline. 

The song stir so many emotions with the already great acting from the pair of Jasper Liu & Puff Kuo. 

Strangely, no one in JangHaven like this drama as much as I do? 🥲 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@abs-oluteM ahh that OSTs... I remember it also made me teared up while watching 18 Again. So Hyang has this power to turn on the tears, and when it matched with the perfect scenes in drama, I know I would be in mess.

Another OSTs sung by So Hyang that made cry is Song of the Wind from Go Back Couple drama. Gosh I was a messed every time it played during the sad scenes. I remember I almost cry for every episode in Go Back Couple and her song played a big part in it.

Turn on the CC for the subs

This part of the lyrics especially really touched me and felt that this OST is really perfect for the drama

People who will leave me
People who I will meet

The passing people and longing
Where do they all go?

I can’t figure it out with my small wisdom
What I do know is how to live

Many times of failure and anguish
We have realized we can’t avoid it
If love is the answer
I will love everything in this world

eng trans credit : popgasa.com

Fun fact: I think this song is actually a remake song. The original singer of the song is Jo Yong Pil

Below is the live version of So Hyang singing the OST

Spoiler

@NiteWalkerAmong the 7 OSTs in the playlist that you share, which one is your most favorite? Or you can't choose because all are equally great and perfect? :)

6 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

No one buys it? What your fellow Jasper fans says about it? Maybe because they don't agree with the forbidden love affair? :thinking:

The song tittle is Giving In. I tried to listen to it and read the translations but didn't really get the meaning of it. Did it mean to signify that the man (or woman) finally accept his feelings about the forbidden love? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching List:

K-variety: 

@LaLa Oh Go Back Couple was another drama I loved , cried from start to finish just like 18 Again.

And since we're talking about So Hyang, I loved this OST for Beautiful Wonderful Life ( the only week-ender I managed to finish in recent times) . They took quite long to release it but it was very memorable because it was the lowest point of the FLs life. 

tagging @ktcjdrama @Nohamahmoud2002 @stroppyse and @eNDe who watched this as well. 

• Like 8

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

17 minutes ago, LaLa said:

@NiteWalkerAmong the 7 OSTs in the playlist that you share, which one is your most favorite? Or you can't choose because all are equally great and perfect? :)

ooo i love them all....hahaha cause they all reflects and mix with the drama very well...the lyrics are well written...

especially the one by MaoDi - I Will Stay Here, the very first 1, it held the most meaning....as its was a song of a parent to their kids, tell them to fly where they want to be...as they will always be here waiting for them to come back...

it touch a cord in you and made u remember your own parents too....

• Like 8
40 minutes ago, LaLa said:

No one buys it? What your fellow Jasper fans says about it? Maybe because they don't agree with the forbidden love affair? :thinking:

The song tittle is Giving In. I tried to listen to it and read the translations but didn't really get the meaning of it. Did it mean to signify that the man (or woman) finally accept his feelings about the forbidden love? 

No one buying it. Salesman admit failure. 

Fellow Jasper fans watched it, but they don't like it :laugh: @Tofu@JenL

Tbh, never really look into the meaning of the song. But today I finally checked the subtitle. The FL did try hard to resist temptation to cheat from her fiancee. One of the word saying : no perfect answer for love. It's the theme of the drama, that in love things can go awry wrong, eventhough you had try so hard to stay on the track. 

@JenL, as native speaker maybe have more deep insight about this song ? 

Full OST , other OST also amazing. But Tseng Yujia's song is the best for me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I do have a few drama OSTs in mind, but to list one first, it would be the entire ost/bgm from It’s Okay, That’s Love.

I love the mix of korean osts and english songs they used throughout the drama. Till today, this soundtrack is still on my playlist. :pandalove:

Of course, another of my favourite is the soundtrack of Hospital Playlist ❤️

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 3

Are You Human Too? Love by Lyn & Hanhae

The song is quite sweet and depicted the start of the new love, with a bit hint of jealousy. "Don't want to see you with other man." And in the drama there is scene, where the robo Namshin ask whether what he felt is jealousy, when he don't like to see her with human Namshin.

It's perfect for sweet innocent robo who fell in love with his human. 

@JenL, tag you again. I highly recommended this drama to you. This what started my love affair with Darling Seo Kang Joon! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@LaLa Oh Go Back Couple was another drama I loved , cried from start to finish just like 18 Again.

And since we're talking about So Hyang, I loved this OST for Beautiful Wonderful Life ( the only week-ender I managed to finish in recent times) . They took quite long to release it but it was very memorable because it was the lowest point of the FLs life. 

tagging @ktcjdrama @Nohamahmoud2002 @stroppyse and @eNDe who watched this as well. 

This drama is a tough watch especially the first 3 episodes as I empathised the FL and knew right away she will have even a harder road ahead and the OST, lyrics and title definitely drives that feeling into your heart too...even now as I rewatch this mv.

Thanks @abs-oluteM for tagging me!   

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1
12 minutes ago, eNDe said:

This drama is a tough watch especially the first 3 episodes as I empathised the FL and knew right away she will have even a harder road ahead and the OST, lyrics and title definitely drives that feeling into your heart too...even now as I rewatch this mv.

Thanks @abs-oluteM for tagging me!   

Yes, the 1st few episodes was rather dark and I felt bad for her. Since you're here any memorable OSTs you like? Share with us

@im0202 I really love It's Okay That's Love OST too!

----------------------

I also like this one from HBM.  Another show that made me cry almost every episode. I felt so very much for Kim Tae Hee's character who died in an accident while in her last trimester. Her baby survived but she didn't . As a ghost she could not move on to the afterlife but somehow she had a chance to come back for a brief time to share some precious moments with her little girl. 

The theme song was very moving - it is an instrumental but each time I hear it , I remember the scene of how she could hold her child in her arms for the 1st time!

• Like 8

Ahhh, Thanks for starting this thread @LaLa...I am very very very big on music and I do think the popular dramas and the dramas that get through to me have very good soundtracks, or at least  OSTs that convey certain emotions and ambience to the dramas that makes you feel drawn or emotionally invested in them.

Here are a few of my favourite:

Drama: Someday or One Day

Song: 'Last Dance' by Wu Bai

I just love this song. It's like an old rock (?) love song first released by Wu Bai in 1996. (By rock song, I mean like Bon-Jovi style romantic rock). The song was included because the drama is a time travel nostalgia romance...and these lyrics fit it so beautifully. It just has the sense of longing, sadness and lingering love and the scenes painted with the lyrics are just so beautiful...If you know Chinese, the lyrics will probably have deeper meaning. I translated the lyrics awhile back so will paste them below...

With the announcement of a Korean adaption, I'm really not sure how they're going to adapt the series without this song...mainly because this is the song that allows for the time travel? Taking it out will be really hard? :thinking:

Artist: Wu Bai 伍佰 & China Blue
Album: Someday or One Day OST
Title: Last Dance

所以暫時將妳眼睛閉了起來
Suo yi zan shi jiang nai yan jing bi le qi lai
So close your eyes, just for a moment

黑暗之中漂浮我的期待
Hei an zhi zhong piao fu wo de qi dai
In the darkness, my hopes linger

平靜臉孔映著繽紛色彩
Ping jing lian kong ying zhe bin fen se cai
Your calm face reflects so many colours

讓人好不疼愛
Rang ren hao bu teng ai
How can I not love you?

妳可以隨著我的步伐輕輕柔柔的踩
Nai ke yi sui zhe wo de bu fa qing qing rou rou de cai
You tread softly, following my steps

將美麗的回憶慢慢重來
Jiang mei li de hui yi man man zhong lai
Inviting beautiful memories to rush back

突然之間浪漫無法釋懷
Tu ran zhi jian lang man wu fa shi huai
Suddenly I'm overcome by romance 

明天我要離開
Ming tian wo yao li kai
But tomorrow I have to leave

妳給的愛 
Nai gei de ai  
The love that you give

無助的等待
Wu zhu de deng dai
I hopelessly await for

是否我一個人走 
Shi fou wo yi ge ren zou  
Should I go alone?

想聽見妳的挽留
Xiang ting jian nai de wan liu
Want you to ask me to stay

春風秋雨飄飄落落只為寂寞
Chun feng qiu yu piao piao luo luo zhi wei ji mo
The spring breeze blows, autumn rain falls, it's so lonely

妳給的愛 
Nai gei de ai  
The love that you give

甜美的傷害
Tian mei de shang hai
Is a sweet painfulness

深深的鎖住了我 
Shen shen de suo zhu le wo 
Locking me in deeply

隱藏不住的脆弱
Yin cang bu zhu de cui ruo
Unable to hide my weakness

氾濫河水將我沖向妳的心頭 
Fan lan he shui jiang wo chong xiang nai de xin tou  
This river (of feelings) pushes me towards your heart

不停流
Bu ting liu
And won't stop flowing

所以暫時將妳眼睛閉了起來
Suo yi zan shi jiang nai yan jing bi le qi lai
So close your eyes, just for a moment

可以慢慢滑進我的心懷
Ke yi man man hua jin wo de xin huai
And slowly slip into my thoughts

舞池中的人群漸漸散開
Wu chi zhong de ren qun jian jian san kai
The people on the dance floor slowly move aside

應該就是現在
Ying gai jiu shi xian zai
(The time) should be now

妳給的愛 
Nai gei de ai  
The love that you give

甜美的傷害
Tian mei de shang hai
Is a sweet painfulness

想問問妳的心中 
Xiang wen wen nai de xin zhong  
I want to ask, what's in your heart

不願面對的不懂
Bu yuan mian dui de bu dong
But unwilling to face what I don't understand

明天之後不知道面前的妳是否依然愛我
Ming tian zhi hou bu zhi dao mian qian de nai shi fou yi ran ai wo
After tomorrow, I don't know if you'll still love me

Drama: Someday or One Day

Song: Someday or One Day OST

Actually who am I kidding, the entire OST is amazing! I think because the music is sad, but also hopeful and the songs span across both the past Taiwanese music from the 90's and present day. The OST includes so many good acts including Mayday, Miss You 3000 and Shi Shi...Weirdly enough can't find Eng sub lyrics for OST...but can find Korean subs because the drama was so popular in Korea.

Drama: Coffee Prince

Song: Coffee Prince OST

This was my first ever Kdrama...and I think part of the reason I loved it so much aside from the tortured romance and Gong Yoo was because of the soundtrack. It still remains one of my favourite OSTs and one of the few that used Korean Indie music as opposed to Kpop. Sadly, I think some of the bands disbanded like Donnawhale...but others have gone onto a steady career making music for Kdramas like Tearliner.

There's not a whole video with all the songs...but here's one with the teasers to each song...

And I think this playlist has the full OST...I loved this song...

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Master's Sun OST 

Above 2 songs my most memorable OST from Master's Sun. Don't ask me how many times I've rewatched this drama. Perhaps 100x hahaha... 

The tsundere mall owner who can chase away ghost is very alluring for me. And the song is just perfect for the love story with his candy Taeyang. @liddiSurely you will agree with me? 🥰

Bonus, since we're on So Ji Sub mode. I also love Ghost OST. @im0202tag you haha just because well it's your oppa! Who shake hand with you before too... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Do You Like Brahms?

Taeyeon - Kiss Me

My fave song from Brahms...

It's Okay Not to Be Okay

Kim Feel - Hallelujah

Kim Feel's Hallelujah is just "Feels"... I dunno it stood out amongst all other OST.

Itaewon Class

Gaho - Start

I like Gaho's mainly it wakes you up and feel positive & energetic and motivates you (even when I'm not even paying attention to the lyrics). This song is so Park Saeroyi, right @Tofu? xD

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Party! 1

Okay, to be honest, kdrama songs don't stand out as much to me as the background musics / themes. I find the BGMs create more feels than the songs. So here's some of mine... starting with:

Sweet Home's Dies Irae

Also thanks to Sweet Home, I fell in love with League of Legends - Warriors

I am also always listening to W: Two Worlds' main theme. It made me feel like I was watching a movie rather than a drama.

Another theme music always in my play list is Tunnel's Main Theme

Spoiler

Memories of Alhambra - Inevitable Duel

@Chocolate Do you like this one?

@im0202 Hahahaha is it? So glad to hear that. I love my Disney songs!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1
4 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Before We Got Married OST by Tseng Yujia - Giving In.

The drama has a lot of tensions already, caused by the forbidden love affair. The OST really great as it's really complement and match with the storyline. 

The song stir so many emotions with the already great acting from the pair of Jasper Liu & Puff Kuo. 

Hahaha, despite this not being my favourite Jasper drama, I have to say I really liked this song. I did think it reflected that longing, morally conflicted torture very well :laugh: 

I actually think part of the success of the drama was this opening song (aside from Puff and Jasper in an intense affair) :smug:

4 hours ago, LaLa said:

3 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

No one buying it. Salesman admit failure. 

Fellow Jasper fans watched it, but they don't like it :laugh: @Tofu@JenL

Hahaha, it's me a fellow Jasper lover! Before We Get Married is one of those dramas where all the characters do things wrong, so there's essentially no really likeable characters. Dramas like that go one of two ways for me: I either love it because it's a study of how terrible humans are especially if they are put in situations where they have no choices and are stuck in moral dilemmas....or I find it frustrating because the characters could do a lot of things to stop the situation from unfolding, but just don't! :lenny:

Before We Get Married fell into the second category for me - Jasper's character was pretty questionable at the start - he's like smutty CEO....he handcuffed Wei Wei (Puff's character) to a bed against her will and forced-kissed her on a balcony :lettalKWA:  But somehow, Wei wei still falls for him (probably because he's hot and she's dating someone really boring who later becomes evil) and then started cheating on her partner...there were many times she could have broken it off with the boring partner...but she didn't? :psweatduck: I was stressed watching it :laugh: But I finished it because I love both Puff and Jasper together and their chemistry on screen and off is soooo good. And even though I didn't like Jasper's character, I thought it was good of him to take on a role that was outside what he was comfortable with because it helped to improve his acting....Also, it was a fun drama to discuss and attribute blame to different characters :heiboi:

@JenL, as native speaker maybe have more deep insight about this song ? 

Hmmm, I think the Eng subs not fully accurate i that music video. I will look for better Eng Subs or give it a go translating maybe (Song lyrics are a bit harder to translate because they're often poetic/ metaphoric language)...I'll see :thinking:

@JenL, tag you again. I highly recommended this drama to you. This what started my love affair with Darling Seo Kang Joon! 

Hehehe, ok I'll put this on the list. Quite enjoying When the Weather is Fine so far. He;s kind of cute and nervous and quiet in that drama. And he runs a bookstore with a book club. Such boyfriend material. So wholesome! :heart:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

@im0202We also have tons of same taste. Haha named it Masters Sun, Hospital Playlist, Chocolate, and Vampire Knight haha... 

OST Chocolate - Ha Ji Won x Yoon Kye Sang

Also my crack drama while it's airing. You know I'm really into it, when I start to watch the drama in raw lols.

Why this OST amazing? As HJW x YKS personally sang it. @LaLaI haven't look into the meaning of the song yet haha... Maybe you did before? 

And Yubin special OST also nice

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

I'm glad that many enjoy sharing their favorite or memorable OSTs. 
In particular @SilverMoonTea seems to be excited. (I'm glad I open this first when I have talked it with you LOL :MeowthM:

@im0202 Oh my It's Okay It's Love really had a great OST line up. The music director really did a great job in choosing and creating the lists. And of course Hospital Playlist! We can't forget it of course! :MewGiggle:

Among all the OSTs that have been released, 3 songs that I listen the most probably Aloha, I knew I would Love You and Beautiful My Love. What about you? Oh we have to tag @Jane in here too to share her favorites.

Oooh and Goblin. Gosh I think I've listening to Goblin OSTs so many times too. I think the music director for Goblin and It's Okay It's Love is the same? :thinking:

@SilverMoonTea Lyn is one among the OST Queen in kdramaland. Her voice is just like a gem which can invoke this emotion when you're watching the particular drama scenes. Master's Sun T (Yoon Mi Rae) song Touch Love is also one of my favorite. For YKS and HJW OSTs, I have to re listen to it again. There's no eng sub yet of this OSTs?

@eNDe Hi :) Welcome welcome. Do you have any other OSTs that you like? Do share with us :smile:

@abs-oluteM Why do we like tear-jerker drama? hahaha Up until now I still haven't watch the last episode with eng sub. I cried so much when Seo Woo finally called Yu Ri as mom, to say her farewell :cry:

@mademoiselle Sharing disney songs is also fine. Should I change the thread title omiting the drama parts then? Hmm... But I see you also have favorite song from your dramas :D The 3 OSTs that you post (Tae Yeon's, Kim Feel's and Gaho songs) are really good. I have to check out my playlist about their other songs and share in here

@JenL I'm glad that you like the thread. Feel free to share any songs that you like in here or to share your analysis about them :)

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching List:

K-variety: