@mademoiselle Yes, I think it is worth watching. The subject matter is not the usual that I like but once in awhile, we can do with a bit of sobering up. The good thing is the story doesn't drag and they don't show the gory stuff - but you know what's going on. There were 3 parts I shouted out "Oh!". The acting is good all around too.

The role suits Jung Hae In. After the melo romances, this is a good change. I like him better here than in SITR.

Spoiler

The drama is quite straightforward. Starts from An Joon Ho's enlistment into military, after basic training, he gets picked to go to military police and than DP. DP is like bonus because they get to stay out of camp while looking for the deserters, and in a way, escapes the bullying in camp. And then the encounters with the cases. All these happen within his first 6 months of service, assuming that the usual period is 2 years.

Not much character growth here. There is awareness but also a helplessness because really, what can a soldier do if the higher ranking officers do the same or ignore it? The bullies pick on the weak ones and the rest can only stand and watch, even if they hate it.

There were some parts that made me snicker. The big bully who was discharged from army (completed his enlistment) actually works in a 7-11 and was being told off by his supervisor. And when the DP boss was being pushed by the commanding officer, he shouted - I am an employee!

@mademoiselle @stroppyse If you watch this, do let me know what you think of the ending. I don't really understand what it means 😂

54 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Yes, that's why it's so painful to watch. Still not sure whether I'm going to actually finish this drama, albeit in tiny doses maybe.

Yes, I watched hometown chachacha then came back and watched the last 2 episodes 🤣

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Chocolate I started/finished first episode. Promising so I'll keep going. You are right to say that Jung Hae In suits this role. It's not his first time playing a soldier (he was one in Prison Playbook and went to prison after being wrongly accused of bullying & caused the death of another soldier). Even though Hae In has a boyish face and can do gentle characters but his eyes can be stern or unyielding. When he is pissed, he gives out "don't mess with me" stubborn attitude — which is already shown in episode 1, that's why that bully dislike him even more. Funny how that actor is playing a bully again.

If this show is focused only on bullying, I wonder what will the reception be in SK, particularly the military even though the military bullying topic isn't new. I remember a fair few dramas have covered such topic in passing e.g. Romantic Doctor, Prison Playbook, While You Were Sleeping. No doubt there is some truth in these depictions. The military keeps it hush hush, maybe that's why I notice actors who completed their MS never talks about their experience on TV, and I suppose some things happen in need to remain confidential in the first place.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

I liked the 1st two episode. The bullying was hard to watch and I felt very sorry for those who resorted to running away. Clearly it got too much for them to take. While I am not sure if the drama's intention is to address this issue of bullying within the military, I hope that they do. Of course , soldiers have to be toughened  up to face life and death situations , but clearly what some of the things the seniors did to their juniors were too much. It was more too feed the ego of the seniors than to "train'' the juniors. But interestingly even as you climb up the ranks, bullying takes a different form - just a lot more indirect. For example , Sergent Bum Goo's promotion is still at the mercy of the unit commander. 

There were so many cameos in the two episodes but Go Kyung Pyo's participation surprised me. I miss him. He was so smarmy here and deserved the beating that Joon Ho gave him. I also liked seeing Son Seok Koo as Captain Im. He came across a little shady but I think he is pretty cool seeing how sharp his decision making was. I also loved that Joon Ho now works with Han. Gosh the scenes really hit a different note when they started working together. This actor is new to me and I realise he has never done dramas and has mainly been in movies and does a lot of production work including scree writing.

I will continue this ...the story has a lot of heart. I read good reviews everywhere. 

@ktcjdrama think you can check this one out. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

I'm done with episode 2 and 3. Each episode they catch one runaway soldier so it's kind of like telling one story/case per episode. Two things I'm glad of - firstly Han Ho Yeol isn't a bully. He's nice to Joon Ho and passes his experience/knowledge to Joon Ho during their assignment. Ho Yeol seems to be well-off too. I hope he and Joon Ho will become real friends at the end of the show.

Secondly, Joon Ho doesn't get bullied anymore (or at least it wasn't shown). I really hate that it made it look like there's no good seniors around. Even Park Bum Gu. He clearly knows the senior soldiers bully the newbies as he literally walks in on them but he doesn't stop this toxic behaviour. Son Suk Ku is another sleazy one too, definitely not a character I will like.

Have to admit I didn't pay attention to the news for D.P so I was pleasantly surprised to see Jung Hae In throwing some punches against U-Kiss idol Lee Jun Young. The fight scenes were realistic rather than dramatic. I read that Hae In trained for boxing for 3 months.

@abs-oluteM Based on the last 3 episodes, it seems like there will be cameos in each episode. First episode was Kyung Pyo and Lee Seol (FL of When the Devil Calls My Name). Second episode was the supporting actor from Run On who likes Kang Tae Oh (BL role) and episode 3 is Lee Jun Young.

Look out for Hae In's bathing scene. He didn't show his abs but you can tell his body is toned and is buffed. Haha.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm done with the last 3 episodes. I'd say the bullying bits are not as confronting as I thought. I reckon the bullying could have/must have been worse than what was shown in real life, so in this sense, it's not too difficult to watch.

Korean men were born and required by the law to serve the army. They have to fulfill their obligations and be trained harshly for two years to gain these skills so that one day, they can protect the country and their loved ones. Fair enough. However, the bit that I find most upsetting is that the least the government could do is to ensure these men, who is forced against their will to follow the law, are safe and in good hands of the government.

After all, without soldiers, how will the government protect the country? Without these men, how will the country have their next generation? Everyone of them is their parents' precious child. The parents did not give birth and spent their life savings raising their precious child so that their children can lose their sanity or lives in the army from bullying.

I feel for the last soldier, Cho Suk Bong. Being in the army is hell for him and no matter what the DP team said, they aren't the ones that could make everything be ok. I felt his despair and if I were him in his place, I'd rather die than go back in there and face more bullying, as well as punishment. I also thought it was unfair that Cheon Yong Deok didn't receive punishment. The notice only mentioned Park Beom Goo and Im Ji Seob.

I read that this drama is receiving postivie reviews from the Knetizens. That's a sigh of relief. I was worried it might cause some controversies. I suppose the viewers wouldn't mind it, it's the government/military that might not be too thrilled about this exposure to not just the nation but internationally. 

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1
On 9/2/2021 at 1:46 PM, Chocolate said:

@mademoiselle Regarding the ending, it showed Joon Ho walking away in another direction from the other soldiers. Any idea what it means?

Hahahahahaha when I saw this I had guessed this must be what you wanted to ask us.

I don't have the right answer for it as I feel it is purposely left as an open ending and up for individual interpretation. One thing that's clear is that nothing is changed and the look on Joon Ho's face is suggestive (disappointment, despair, distress or "I had enough of this bullshit") so my initial thought is Joon Ho is going to be the next Deserter.

Although I thought it's impractical to try running in broad daylight, so it might be more of a symbolic presentation of his mindset or decision.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
12 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I don't have the right answer for it as I feel it is purposely left as an open ending and up for individual interpretation. One thing that's clear is that nothing is changed and the look on Joon Ho's face is suggestive (disappointment, despair, distress or "I had enough of this bullshit") so my initial thought is Joon Ho is going to be the next Deserter.

I thought this too. But he of all people should know it doesn't solve anything. So I like to believe he is not deserting.

If there is S2, guess we'll find out.

He did a really good job. His story was painful.

Translation: Actor Cho Hyun-chul's face with hand over mouth gives a million question marks as you go through the filmography. It's not a method, it's like I'm born again every time I film.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 8/31/2021 at 3:42 AM, mademoiselle said:

LOL something to motivate you, @Warm Paws. A clip of similar to what you wanna compile except this is Jung Hae In's compilation of "I don't know".

Thanks! I'll take a look. 😄 I've been interested on this one but I've found it a bit difficult to watch something that's fully released lately. Back then, I prefer to wait till the entire show is released then I'll binge watch, but not anymore. 😫 At least this one is only 6 episodes so I can try.

@joccu__ @stroppyse  thanks for your posts! Gives me motivation to watch.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1