D.P.

Season 2

FzlmZ0racAAYdny?format=jpg&name=4096x409  F03_3OvaYAADB9h?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

English Title: D.P. 2

Director: Han Jun Hee

Writer: Han Jun Hee, Kim Bo Tong (webcomic & screenplay)

Episodes: 6

Broadcast station: Netflix

Production Company: Climax Studio, Homemade Film
Schedule: 28 July 2023

Websites: Naver | NamuWiki | AsianWiki |

D.P.

Season 1

E8oq4P1VIAEu4SM?format=jpg&name=medium

Spoiler

E7dPGvaVkAAdpFg?format=jpg&name=4096x409

E7dPIDaUYAA8DgN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

E7dPHbNVgAc04SO?format=jpg&name=large

English Title: D.P.

Director: Han Jun Hee

Writer: Han Jun Hee, Kim Bo Tong (webcomic & screenplay)

Episodes: 6

Broadcast station: Netflix

Production Company: Climax Studio, Homemade Film
Schedule: 27 August, 2021

Websites: Naver | NamuWiki |

Plot Summary

An Joon-Ho (Jung Hae-In) is a soldier. He is quiet and calm, but inflexible. Sergeant Park Beom-Goo (Kim Sung-Kyun) notices Private An Joon-Ho's tenacity and ability to observe. He transfers An Joon-Ho to the D.P. (Deserter Pursuit) team. Their mission is to catch deserters. An Joon-Ho works with Sergeant Park Beom-Goo and Corporal Han Ho-Yeol (Koo Gyo-Hwan) on the team. Sergeant Park Beom-Goo looks tired all the time. He curses and nags at An Joon-Ho and Han Ho-Yeol, but he also takes care of them with his keen insight. Han Ho-Yeol sometimes gives An Joon-Ho investigative know-how, but he sometimes annoys him.

Meanwhile, First Lieutenant Im Ji-Seob (Son Seok-Koo) only cares about his success in the military. He does not care for the D.P. team. (source: AsianWiki)

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Main Cast - Season 2

Main Cast - Season 1

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I wasn't aware this is a drama @mademoiselle . Will definitely check this one out once it airs? Any rumoured airing date?

I created it ages ago and then it went completely quiet for a looooog time. Yeah it is but I don't know how many episodes. It'll be released AUG 27.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

When I first saw this, I thought, oh no, it will be a melodrama. I mean, going after deserters, they will surely have sad stories about why they deserted in the first place.

But looking at the first teaser, it has some comedy between Jung Hae In and his partner. A bit like Rush Hour - between Jackie Chan and Chris Rock.

It's good that it is only 6 episodes. I think it will have a bit of everything - sadness, bullying, comedy, detective work and hopefully a heartwarming ending. 6 episodes means the pace should move quite quickly.

I've started the first - it showed An Joon Ho's (JHI) background and it is quite sad. Although he tries to obey the military rules (he repeated his name so many times I've memorised it lol), he will not blindly follow and is prepared to stand up for himself - not shown yet if it will be to his detriment, but so far, he's "rescued by the bell" the 3 times it happened.

Looks interesting so far. I will continue.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

I don't know if I'm going to make it through the first episode of this drama. The bullying that the enlistees get in basic training which doesn't let up once they get to their units is actually making me sick to my stomach.

The trailers did have some "light" moments, but they don't feel that light, more like they're going crazy kind of "light".

Sigh

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Finished the series. It is sad and a bit gritty. @stroppyse is accurate that any comedy is very very light - there’s not much more than what is in the trailer.

This drama is about bullying in the military.

Spoilers

Spoiler

There are 5 deserter cases - one per episode. All have sympathetic reasons except one who is an a**. The last is the culmination of his experience in the military. I must say the actor for this final case - Cho Hyun Chul - did a great job. He was familiar and after searching, realised that he played the nerdy IT director in Memories of Alhambra. This role is entirely different.

Sad to say, there is no good ending. The military tries to hide the real reason. The event also does not lead to change - from management down to the soldiers.

Even the “good” guys in the drama cannot answer the question - you knew but why didn’t you do anything.

For @mademoiselle who likes Son Seok Koo, he starts out trying to curry favour and anticipate what his boss wants, to finally taking a stand on the right side. But his role is a small one.

Some of the cases showed the love between the soldiers and their mothers/grandmother. An Joon Ho (JHI) who has a not ideal relationship with his mother (he gives her money but doesn’t take her call or open her letters) learns from these cases and patches up with his family. This is the only bright spot

photo1357900.jpg

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1
54 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

This drama is about bullying in the military.

That's what I figured. SK seems to have a significant tendency towards bullying in their culture, probably institutionalized very early on, and a twisted version of the Confucian ideas of hierarchy and duty. So, newbies are brutally hazed by the more senior members as a way of inducting them into a "brotherhood" of sorts but also as petty power plays by "senior" members who have so little actual power in their lives.

This drama is about the bullying in the military, Racket Boys showed a little of the bullying in amateur sports as well as amongst the coaches. SK has been rocked with scandal after scandal in the last decade or so about all sorts of bullying behavior, including in their schools and in their corporate culture. I've been shocked by managers physically hitting their team members in various dramas, only to realize that this was common in some companies.

I think I'm probably glad that this drama was made to shed more light on things that may happen to the conscriptees in the SK army, but it still turns my stomach and makes it hard to watch for me. I have a feeling that the bullying in this drama isn't totally made up, meaning that there is some truth behind the scenarios.

Why is there so much brutality and meanness amongst people in real life?

@Chocolate, thanks for making it through the drama and telling us about it. This drama is the flip side to all those dramas where the soldiers are the heroic good guys. Not that soldiers can't be the heroes or anything like that, just that there is also a dark side to the military culture and it can seriously damage people, even without an active war on.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Thank you @Chocolate

I expected it isn't going to be an easy watch made out like the preview trailer, especially after seeing the second one. I don't think I'll be able to start this week, having found out I forgot to watch last week's episode of Hospital Playlist so now I've double the "homework" to complete, LOL.

In your opinion, is it worth the watch?

I'm expecting D.P. is like the company version of Misaeng where there's also bullying, hierarchy and politics involved and will be on a heavy side with character growth.

• Like 3