I finished all 6 episodes and honestly this drama left me with all sorts of emotions. Not because this was a bad show. On the contrary , it was very good but it left me feeling angry on behalf of all those who deserted out of desperation, and in despair because bullying as you can tell is endemic in the system. And as we know, these aren't made up scenarios. Which makes it even more painful.  The ones who got bullied and their perpetrators were in a cruel cycle - some seniors participated in bullying & hazing their juniors out of peer pressure . And not doing so got them in more trouble.

What was worse was that their commanders turned a blind eye , and wanted to save their own jobs and save face for the army. The last episode where the unit Commander ordered a team of soldiers to catch Cho Suk Bong made me so mad and that pretty much sums up the root of the problem for me. The ones who had the opportunity to do something and to do the right thing were only concerned for their  own interests. Hwang Jang Soo isn't the ulimate reason that Cho killed himself - the system and those who had the power to defend these poor kids (many I know are fresh out of school or college) are guilty for the deaths of these deserters. 

I felt the adrenaline each time Jun Ho and Han Yeol would go look for the deserter. Part of me wanted them to fulfill their assignments but part of me hoped that they won't find the runaways , especially when you know the reasons why they had bolted in the 1st place. I felt sorry for most of the deserters but Cho's story pained me the most. Han Yeol & Jun Ho made a great team together with grumpy Sergeant Park whom I came to love very much. The 3 of them were the most humane of the lot despite being the ones doing the groundwork. You can see how it became harder for them to ultimately bring the runaways back because they (esp HY and JH)  felt so bad for them. The other person who also had a surprising character growth was Captain Lim . He was so smarmy at first but at the end of the day he showed some humanity and helped Park out. 

If this is toned down compared to what happens in reality, then I dare not imagine how bad it actually is. While there's bullying in every level of society , the hazing here was extreme and my heart goes out to these "victims". I am not sure how the local viewers are taking it or if this would make a difference. But I appreciate the writer & the production team for bringing light to this issue that I think isn't easy to talk about since it is often swept under the carpet. 

-----------------------------

And  I concur with this reviewer (and I don't always agree all his reviews) 

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-drama/article/3147131/k-drama-review-dp-netflixs-explosive-military-drama-gets?module=perpetual_scroll&pgtype=article&campaign=3147131

D.P. is a story about Korean men. It understands them, it empathises with them, and though it shakes an accusatory finger at the society that made them what they are, it also refuses to let them off the hook. Complex and cathartic, the show succeeds precisely because it is the voice of a new generation.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2021.12.14 Netflix Announces D.P. Season 2

Jung Hae In and Goo Kyo Hwan’s hit series “D.P.” is getting a second season!

Based on a popular webtoon, “D.P.” (stands for Deserter Pursuit) is a Netflix series about a special military squad sent to chase down deserters. Jung Hae In stars as Ahn Jun Ho, a new recruit who is scouted for the D.P. squad before he has adapted to military life, and Goo Kyo Hwan co-stars as Han Ho Yeol, the team leader of the D.P. squad.

Recently, “D.P.” was the only Korean show to be picked as one of New York Times’ Best International Shows of 2021. Viewers also praised the detailed and sharp portrayal of the soldiers’ stories by director Han Joon Hee, who previously helmed “Coin Locker Girl” and “Hit-and-Run Squad.”

In addition to dealing with a novel topic and portraying charming characters, the drama also boasts a talented cast with Jung Hae In, Goo Kyo Hwan, Kim Sung Kyun, Son Seok Gu, and Cho Hyun Chul. Furthermore, Season 1 had left viewers with unanswered questions, raising anticipation for a second season.

Season 2 will once again be a collaboration between director Han Joon Hee and author Kim Bo Tong, who wrote the original webtoon the series is based on. Climax Studio will be in charge of production after having worked on Season 1 of “D.P.” as well as “Hellbound.” Viewers are looking forward to seeing what new stories Season 2 of “D.P.” will have in store.

source

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Party! 1
  • 2 months later...

Took me too long to finish it but it was worth it. Packs quite a punch especially that deeply tragic last episode. I was so angry I felt like doing some violence myself. I can only imagine that this is still going on if the system continues to perpetuate the toxic culture. 

Why bother with the North Korean threat if you're destroying your own people from within?

This must be the best performance I've seen out of Jung Hae-in. That scene where he's whimpering after Bongdhi shoots himself just brought it all home. 

Brutal but a brilliant piece of visual storytelling nonetheless.

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

26 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

ook me too long to finish it but it was worth it. Packs quite a punch especially that deeply tragic last episode. I was so angry I felt like doing some violence myself. I can only imagine that this is still going on if the system continues to perpetuate the toxic culture. 

Gosh ...I felt so frustrated myself . And  I read that this is a toned down version of what happens IR -  cannot imagine how bad it is. 

This was such a good show - I haven't really seen something like this. The ending was quite poetic in some ways. I look forward to S2...now that hunter becomes the hunted. 

• Like 4
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Congrats to Koo Kyo Hwan and D.P for winning Best New Actor and Best Drama. The director also mentioned in his acceptance speech that D.P season 2 will begin shooting this month - all original casts!

I suppose that means even Son Suk Ku is returning? Can they give him a meatier role in S2, please?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1
On 5/7/2022 at 6:10 PM, mademoiselle said:

suppose that means even Son Suk Ku is returning? Can they give him a meatier role in S2, please?

Yes please.  Especially now that I am at the height of my SSK crush. 

Am just happy they won best drama since it was my pick! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I stopped watching this drama after the first episode because I found the hazing very hard to stomach. Should I try to binge it again? Will I be ff-ing more than watching if I do?

To be fair, I think it's because of SSK in My Liberation Notes that I'm tempted to give this drama another try. So, if he only appears for a minute, then probably not for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Season 2 is looking interesting.

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

...The cast will once again portray great chemistry along with the addition of new cast members Ji Jin Hee and Kim Ji Hyun. Ji Jin Hee will play Goo Ja Woon, the chief legal officer of the army headquarters. The actor previously impressed with his roles in “Move to Heaven,” “Designated Survivor: 60 Days,” “Misty,” and more. Kim Ji Hyun, who is also a musical actress, previously captivated viewers in “Thirty-Nine,” “Artificial City,” and “Backstreet Rookie.” She will be playing Lieutenant Colonel Seo Eun, the operations officer of the Ministry of National Defense Prosecutor’s Office.

D.P.-2.jpeg

On the upcoming season, Jung Hae In shared, “I’m so happy to be able to [film] ‘D.P.’ Season 2 together, and I’m excited and looking forward to the thought of meeting great people again on set. Please look forward to seeing Private Ahn Jun Ho.” Goo Kyo Hwan remarked, “I’ve been waiting. It’s nice to see [the cast] again. I look forward to [working with everyone].”

Kim Sung Kyun shared, “I’m so excited and thrilled that the good memories and the love we received from viewers can continue on as Season 2. I’ll work with an unchanging heart.” Finally, Son Suk Ku commented, “I’m just grateful. Since it’s a project that I began through the close friendship I’ve built with the director, the days of filming were always enjoyable without any burden. I want to see all the actors and staff soon on set.”

Ji Jin Hee revealed, “The character of Ja Woon is one that I haven’t attempted until now, so he feels unfamiliar, but I’m also highly anticipating how I will go on to shape him. I’ll prepare well so that I can create an awesome picture with the other characters.” Kim Ji Hyun shared, “I’m really happy to be able to work together on a great project. I’ll happily work to think over how I can contribute support [to the drama].”

At the 58th Baeksang Arts Awards held earlier this month, “D.P.” won Best Drama, and the drama’s stars Jo Hyun Chul and Goo Kyo Hwan won Best Supporting Actor and Best New Actor, respectively.

Source

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...