The Witch's Diner / Come to the Witch's Restaurant 마녀식당으로 오세요 [2021]

Jane

9 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

how long is each episode?

They are roughly 40-50 minutes long. There are only eight episodes in this drama and they air two episodes a week so it'll be completed in four weeks. It's a Friday drama and I see you don't have any lined up on this day, so I think you can squeeze it in, right? :smug:

9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I was surprised to see Lee Kyu Hyung's cameo. This guy is everywhere recently. Not that I'm complaining. Would have love it if the cameo was longer.

Prison Playbook boys taking over all the K-Dramas recently. :cool:

I'm curious about all their connections to each other too. A part of me feels the same way as you @mademoiselle and a part of me thinks that Hee Ra is back to collect a debt that's owe to her. Did someone in Jin's and Gil Yong's family eat one of Hee Ra's meal? What kind of contract was Hee Ra and Director Oh talking about when he handed her a glass of wine? What does it mean when this would not be the first time Hee Ra made someone die? I'm so glad this drama is only eight episodes so we don't have to wait a month to discover the answers to all of this. :eeeee:

9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I like Gil Yong but I'm a bit sad he plays a high school student! I was anticipating a romance to develop between Jin and him! And it does seem like he likes her because the show hinted that his wish was to be the part-timer in the Witch's Diner to be with Jin..?

I didn't realized Gil Yong was going to be a high school student either. In the character chart, there's a heart drawn from Gil Yong to Jin. There's a likelihood that he'll just have a one-sided crush on her. But I'm all for their pairing, because accordingly to my scale of acceptable student relationships, Jin is not a teacher; therefore I'm ok with the relationship. :laugh:

@JenL That ahjumma was horrible. I can't believe she did that to them and felt no remorse over it. I don't think I would have wished death on her but the rat infestation was nice. I think it was nice touch for Hee Ra to tell Jin the weight of her words. It's something you have to be mindful of because interpretations varies among everyone. 

6 hours ago, JenL said:

DDSSLLS trainned me for this type of love story so I think I'm ok

Hahahaha!! It sure did. :lmao2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Tofu Those behind the scenes were adorable! :wow: Haha, I love that they put the BTS footage of NJH and CJH filming the bench scene and they were telling him to be in puppy cute state and he felt pressured but the director was like, basically just be yourself :laugh: And they were sharing a heat pack and bickering :heart: Also loving their level of silliness with the witchy diner scenes. SJH has such fun moves to act out as the witch :smile:

@abs-oluteM Tofu is right! Short eps and it's fun. Watch! watch! watch! :popcorn:

6 hours ago, Tofu said:

I didn't realized Gil Yong was going to be a high school student either. In the character chart, there's a heart drawn from Gil Yong to Jin. There's a likelihood that he'll just have a one-sided crush on her. But I'm all for their pairing, because accordingly to my scale of acceptable student relationships, Jin is not a teacher; therefore I'm ok with the relationship. :laugh:

I agree with it probably being a one-sided crush or ambiguous romance tension....haha and I agree with the scale Tofu goes by :laugh: He'll probably just trail after her like a lost puppy :wow:

6 hours ago, Tofu said:

@JenL That ahjumma was horrible. I can't believe she did that to them and felt no remorse over it. I don't think I would have wished death on her but the rat infestation was nice. I think it was nice touch for Hee Ra to tell Jin the weight of her words. It's something you have to be mindful of because interpretations varies among everyone. 

It's true about the weight of words and thoughts too. I think so many people could be taught a lesson about this especially on Twitter and online with things like cyberbullying and causing bad rumours. :HaunterOK:

But in terms of making wishes with witches, I am extra paranoid and if I was Jin, I totally would have been really, really specific. Like "I want you make her business fail by creating a rat infestation in her restaurant that gets discovered by health inspectors the next day, but she has to live through the misery (ie. she can't die, especially from suicide or illness or accident)." :laugh:

Wait...but does that make me an even crueller person to make them live in misery everyday?? :thinking: This is why people shouldn't be mean in the first place...they'll get struck down by a witch's revenge and all options are terrible :smile:

Edited by JenL
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Hi! Just watched first two episodes. I jumped in without expecting anything, but I found it pretty interesting so far.

Just like @JenL , I watched the first episode while having my lunch, but I wasn't bothered as much during the cooking scenes. I thought the first dish actually looked... nice? I can't really imagine what it tastes like though. The steak looked alright until the plating, which was a bit off-putting because of the red sauce. What would have made the cooking much more interesting for me if there was a reason behind the recipes. Maybe there is and it's still to be revealed? So far though, it looks like Hee-ra decides on her own what to serve, instead of preparing one specifically for the customer's needs or even the actual wish.

And also, I agree with your sentiments on how the 'revenge' was resolved. I was expecting the rat infestation to tear down their business and have her crawling back to Jung Jin's family. The revenge came too swift and honestly a bit underwhelming, but it's fine I guess. Maybe they want us to just get over with it quickly and focus on the stories of the other characters and more customers.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
1 hour ago, Warm Paws said:

Just like @JenL , I watched the first episode while having my lunch, but I wasn't bothered as much during the cooking scenes. I thought the first dish actually looked... nice?

I thought the first dish was a bit like a pretty dessert, a pancake stack with cream, but then she said it was foie gras which is pretty savoury on the whole :shocked:

The steak looked alright until the plating, which was a bit off-putting because of the red sauce.

Haha I think I was put off by the steak because I was eating beef rice at the time and then it was too close to my own dinner :SquirtlePuke:

What would have made the cooking much more interesting for me if there was a reason behind the recipes. Maybe there is and it's still to be revealed? So far though, it looks like Hee-ra decides on her own what to serve, instead of preparing one specifically for the customer's needs or even the actual wish.

This is an interesting point! It would be more meaningful if that was the case. I feel like the names of the episodes are maybe the names of the recipes/spells? Ep 1 was 'The Beef Steak of Revenge' and Ep 2 was 'The Tomato Soup of Comfort' :thinking:

I was expecting the rat infestation to tear down their business and have her crawling back to Jung Jin's family. The revenge came too swift and honestly a bit underwhelming, but it's fine I guess. Maybe they want us to just get over with it quickly and focus on the stories of the other characters and more customers.

You're right - the crawling back for mercy would have been highly satisfying to see! :pandaevil: But I guess this is why there's a 'cost' to the meal/ revenge. It's like you get what you want technically, but it's not how you would like it, so you also suffer for making someone else suffer. That's why it's not satisfying to us viewers either...I do also agree they probably wanted to resolve that issue to fit in the episodic stories since this is a pretty short drama in terms of K-dramas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

48 minutes ago, JenL said:

I thought the first dish was a bit like a pretty dessert, a pancake stack with cream, but then she said it was foie gras which is pretty savoury on the whole :shocked:

This one is actually extra interesting, after seeing it I had to look it up, and there' a similar actual dish...? I'll put the photo on spoiler just to be safe. To be honest, the one on the show looks more appetizing... if it were purely a dessert. 

Spoiler

pancake_charcuterie_016.jpg

Found from this article: https://knpr.org/desert-companion/2015-10/dish-uncommon-good

Quick excerpt: Standout items include revamped classics such as silver dollar pancakes. Here, they’re topped with seared Sonoma foie gras in a sweet-but-tart three-grape gastrique sauce.

So they're both supposed to be sweet+savory? I still only have a vague idea of how both are supposed to taste like. I don't really eat that much food I can't pronounce 🤣 (though I had a kwah-sahn earlier 🤣) If a waiter explained both to me vocally, I'd probably understand Foie gras made with the ambitions of humans better than foie gras in a sweet-but-tart three-grape gastrique sauce.

Edited by Warm Paws
  • Haha 5

@JenL I laughed when he said he felt pressured to be "puppy-like" because I swear that's all I think of him as. Even in Nevertheless, he has that lost puppy look to him. Haha! 

@Warm Paws It did seem a bit underwhelming. I thought they would make the restaurant owner miserable for a little while like @JenL said but they killed her off pretty quickly. Maybe they are moving through the drama a bit faster because it's only 8 episodes long? 

I screenshot the meals Hee Ra has made so far:

tHl9ZJh.png

TJLUR1v.png

TCpeiY9.png

@mayicoryn I'm going to tag you here so we can get points for posting to buy badges in the future. Haha! I love Nam Ji Hyun too. I actually was interested in this drama because of her and then fell in love with Chae Jong Hyeop later on (after I watched Hot Stove League). I don't think that guy really gave her an explanation for wanting to break up. I know it shows that she was sad about it, but I don't think she was that heartbroken because it seems like she got over it pretty quickly. Does that mean that he put an end to something that has already ended? I think there's a possibility that she'll disappear. It seems like she's aging. Is she seeking out a way to stop that process? If she does, it kind of reminds me of the Disney movie, Tangled. The witch wanted forever youth so she entrapped Rapunzel in the castle so she can use the magic from her hair.

3 hours ago, JenL said:

It's true about the weight of words and thoughts too. I think so many people could be taught a lesson about this especially on Twitter and online with things like cyberbullying and causing bad rumours. :HaunterOK:

I wished people can just be kind to each other. There's already so many bad things out in the world, why project more bad things to others? It takes so much mental energy to be negative. :niu:

6 minutes ago, Warm Paws said:

I don't really eat that much food I can't pronounce

Hahaha! I feel the same too. :laugh:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, Tofu said:

I'm curious about all their connections to each other too. A part of me feels the same way as you @mademoiselle and a part of me thinks that Hee Ra is back to collect a debt that's owe to her. Did someone in Jin's and Gil Yong's family eat one of Hee Ra's meal? What kind of contract was Hee Ra and Director Oh talking about when he handed her a glass of wine? What does it mean when this would not be the first time Hee Ra made someone die? I'm so glad this drama is only eight episodes so we don't have to wait a month to discover the answers to all of this. 

I didn't realized Gil Yong was going to be a high school student either. In the character chart, there's a heart drawn from Gil Yong to Jin. There's a likelihood that he'll just have a one-sided crush on her. But I'm all for their pairing, because accordingly to my scale of acceptable student relationships, Jin is not a teacher; therefore I'm ok with the relationship. 

I think you were right about Hee Ra's return in collecting debt. Gil Yong mentioned he was terminally ill before. His mum could have made a wish to heal him and in return, the illness is transferred to her? As for Jin, I cannot guess what it could be but is that why his dad has a stroke and dementia so early? I also wonder if the debt would be grooming Jin to inherit the Witch's job.

LOL at both of you with your reasonings. No matter what they (Jun and Gil Yong) are still high school students! The moral compass shouldn't sway because they are cuter. :lmao2: Lala is a teacher. A piano teacher and she teaches Jun piano! :KittyBan::GrowDerp:

@Warm Paws @Tofu @JenL I think the food pic in the spoiler tag looks more appetising to the one from the show. To have the red colour, they had beet root in it. For me pancakes are dessert but I wouldn't mind if I'm serve a savoury one in a degustation menu.

The 3rd dish looks boring - mainly it's the presentation. The steak... I dunno, didn't look appetising either. It'll depend on how cook it is too. I already feel sorry for Ji Hyun as I'm sure she's eating a cold steak by the time they filmed it. Might as well just serve her beef tataki...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1
6 hours ago, Tofu said:

I'm going to tag you here so we can get points for posting to buy badges in the future. Haha! I love Nam Ji Hyun too. I actually was interested in this drama because of her and then fell in love with Chae Jong Hyeop later on (after I watched Hot Stove League). I don't think that guy really gave her an explanation for wanting to break up. I know it shows that she was sad about it, but I don't think she was that heartbroken because it seems like she got over it pretty quickly. Does that mean that he put an end to something that has already ended? I think there's a possibility that she'll disappear. It seems like she's aging. Is she seeking out a way to stop that process? If she does, it kind of reminds me of the Disney movie, Tangled. The witch wanted forever youth so she entrapped Rapunzel in the castle so she can use the magic from her hair.

That's a good idea xd And about the break up yes I think you are right but still how dare he do that to her? Okay sorry I am just kidding I know it's not real :D And it's great that she got over it so quickly. I don't know why but I kinda thought that her mom would die (bc they got scammed by her so called friend and she maybe couldn't take it anymore) and that's the reason why she wanted to get revenge. Lol but no that's not it and I am happy about it. But it is kinda funny bc I thought that Jeong Jin learned her lesson after the whole contract thing. Well I guess not :D How could they do that? They are ending episode 2 like that? Hmm and about Jo Hee Ra  your theory could be true. I am like or maybe she did something bad and that's why she was punnished for it and has to live as a witch.  Lul my thoughts are sooo creative......not.  Can I have the next episode like right now pls? No? That's sad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@mademoiselle Yeah, I was thinking the same too. Maybe there was a transfer of illness between Gil Yong and his mom and Jin potentially inheriting Hee Ra's job. 

16 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

LOL at both of you with your reasonings. No matter what they (Jun and Gil Yong) are still high school students! The moral compass shouldn't sway because they are cuter.  Lala is a teacher. A piano teacher and she teaches Jun piano! 

HAHAHAHA! I think we have to reason it to not be completely turned off by the drama. :lmao2: What's with all these storyline where the male lead is in high school lately? rMIJwut.gif

@mayicoryn I know! She went from signing one contract without reading the fine print to signing another contract without reading the fine print too. Haha! I'm glad that both episodes come out on one day. It makes waiting a little bit easier if they are released on the same day. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
20 hours ago, Warm Paws said:

Foie gras made with the ambitions of humans better than foie gras in a sweet-but-tart three-grape gastrique sauce.

Wow, it's a real dish! The pic you included does look more savoury than the one in the drama. I think it looks more like gravy. Haha, the sweet and savoury thing is probably more common than we think, but it's weird when you're not exposed to something (haha, the foods you can't pronounce) - I was really weirded out the first time someone told me you eat honey and cheese together at some fancy work party, but it ended up tasting nice. I'll eat things I can't pronounce, but I won't eat weird things like tripe, fish skin etc. :idk:

I agree that I'd rather eat the foie gras with the ambitions of humans than gastrique sauce. 'Gastrique' doesn't sound very appealing...whereas human ambitions sounds kind of tasty :pandaevil:

20 hours ago, Tofu said:

@JenL I laughed when he said he felt pressured to be "puppy-like" because I swear that's all I think of him as. Even in Nevertheless, he has that lost puppy look to him. Haha! 

Oh my god! Yes, he's a permanent puppy :heart: Haven't updated my Oppa tracker but he's my newest Oppa too...how can he not be when he's so adorable! :pandablush:

20 hours ago, Tofu said:

I screenshot the meals Hee Ra has made so far:

Your pictures actually made the meals look nice! :BulbaOWO: I think what was off-putting was the sound effects and the red sauce under harsh lighting and also I forgot to mention before - the messy, crazed way the people were eating the food. :shocked:

20 hours ago, Tofu said:

Is she seeking out a way to stop that process? If she does, it kind of reminds me of the Disney movie, Tangled. The witch wanted forever youth so she entrapped Rapunzel in the castle so she can use the magic from her hair

Witches are always trying not to age. I never use to understand, but now that I'm not a teen anymore, I'm the same. Give me immortal youth please :letalQQ:

20 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

LOL at both of you with your reasonings. No matter what they (Jun and Gil Yong) are still high school students! The moral compass shouldn't sway because they are cuter. :lmao2: Lala is a teacher. A piano teacher and she teaches Jun piano! :KittyBan::GrowDerp:

La la la...I'm not listening! I didn't just read what you wrote!  :pandablind: 

But it's ok because hobby teachers don't count in my books :pandahehe: 

Haha, no, it's only because I know both these students are actually just twenty-something Oppas wearing school uniforms. Not illegal for twenty year olds to wear school uniforms :smug:

@Warm Paws @Tofu @JenL I think the food pic in the spoiler tag looks more appetising to the one from the show. To have the red colour, they had beet root in it. For me pancakes are dessert but I wouldn't mind if I'm serve a savoury one in a degustation menu.

I agree the real dish looks appealing as a savoury dish...I think the dish in the drama would have been appealing if it was a dessert. :idk:

Might as well just serve her beef tataki...

'The Beef Tataki of Revenge' doesn't quite have the same ring to it  :GrowDerp:

12 hours ago, mayicoryn said:

it is kinda funny bc I thought that Jeong Jin learned her lesson after the whole contract thing. Well I guess not :D 

Yes, I thought it was funny she signed a contract (with a witch no less) after her mum just got conned with a dodgy contract  :PikachuFacePalm:

3 hours ago, Tofu said:

HAHAHAHA! I think we have to reason it to not be completely turned off by the drama.  What's with all these storyline where the male lead is in high school lately? 

Hahaha, this is true also. I mean high school boys in real life are immature kids and no one in their sane mind would ever go in that direction :SquirtlePuke::SquirtlePuke::SquirtlePuke: 

But in Dramaland, it's ok because all legal Oppas in school uniform, lah. Can't blame Unnies for being attracted to them! :eeeee:

I feel like society is becoming more obsessed with youth - hence high school age is considered peak :lettalKWA:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Tofu said:

What's with all these storyline where the male lead is in high school lately? rMIJwut.gif

Aw man, I thought we got new gif emoji. Was excited for a minute!

Because young boys look better than old, bald, beer belly and wrinkled men???

1 hour ago, JenL said:

Witches are always trying not to age. I never use to understand, but now that I'm not a teen anymore, I'm the same. Give me immortal youth please

I don't think I want immortality but I don't mind slowed ageing or just stop ageing when we turn 35 and died looking the same! Why do our hairs have to turn grey?!! Can y'all tell I'm having issues with ageing? :lmao2:

• Haha 4

@abs-oluteM Their RM episode was so funny. At the beginning they were asked to make a wish. Chae Jong Hyeop randomly asked for a speaker from HaHa, Do Kwon wanted to be in KJK's YouTube channel but as the trainer instead, Ji Hyun wanted the cast members to watch the first episode and post about it, and Ji Hyo wanted the answers to future games. CJH ends up winning a speaker from HaHa who he met for the first time that day. LOL!!

I also love that Ji Hyun teases Jong Hyeop quite a bit but he's older; however in the industry, she is his sunbae. Their onscreen and off screen chemistry is fire! :pandalove:

I think we all secretly hope that there will be some love line, but from the character chart, it doesn't seem like it. :cry:

I'll reply to the rest of the comments tomorrow. =)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

This looks interesting.... where to watch? I tried Netflix and iQiyi but not available there? 

Viki: https://www.viki.com/tv/37756c-the-witchs-diner

Tencent: https://wetv.vip/play/8mf8hxmx9or92s4/d0039akn0oi

I think TVING released the first episode for free on their platform too but I can't find the link for that at this time.

They are all so cute! I will need to watch this video when I get off work today. :heart:

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
On 7/20/2021 at 3:44 PM, Tofu said:

I also love that Ji Hyun teases Jong Hyeop quite a bit but he's older; however in the industry, she is his sunbae. Their onscreen and off screen chemistry is fire! :pandalove:

Oh my god...I was today years old when I discovered that NJH is only 25 yrs old while CJH is 28!!!! :shocked2: I didn't realise that CJH looks soooo young. Like in my mind I was pegging him to be like 23 or something. 28 is much better age :laugh:

On 7/20/2021 at 3:44 PM, Tofu said:

I think we all secretly hope that there will be some love line, but from the character chart, it doesn't seem like it. :cry:

A lot of people seem to like these 2! Everyone has been liking my gifs non stop! Speaking of which, look at these beautiful gifs...:wow::wow::wow:

Credits: Masterpiece 

755kSqI.gif

mUbbUog.gif

20 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

This looks interesting.... where to watch? I tried Netflix and iQiyi but not available there? 

I'm watching on Viki and KissAsian  :MewHi:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@JenL Your reasoning behind Lala's and Jun's relationship is also my reasoning too. Lala only had, at most, three students so she was hardly a teacher since the doctor already knew how to play. Jun was practically a musician because he knew how to play the guitar so he's a natural talent. :eeeee:

On 7/21/2021 at 6:19 AM, mademoiselle said:

He's 28... so why was he being made a high school student, writer-nim??? :GengarPout:

I know! I was shocked when I learned he was 28. He debuted a lot later than some of the other celebrities who are also rising actors. I think at this point, all of the rising actors like LDH, LJW, HIY, and CJH can stop playing high school roles now, right? :jiminbtssigh:

Chae Jong Hyeop is surprisingly very strong. I really thought their whole team was going to lose but they didn't! :laugh:

• Haha 3

Wondering if it's just this streaming site or all the streaming sites? It would be all of them right...so they're making it weekly, right? :thinking:

50 minutes ago, Tofu said:

@JenL Your reasoning behind Lala's and Jun's relationship is also my reasoning too. Lala only had, at most, three students so she was hardly a teacher since the doctor already knew how to play. Jun was practically a musician because he knew how to play the guitar so he's a natural talent. :eeeee:

Hahaha I know right? Lala barely taught Jun any lessons...In fact, I think he taught himself how play Pleasure of Love and played it to ask her out :laugh:You're right, Jun's guitar skills meant he was only pretending to be her student :lenny: Her only real students were Jae Min and grandpa :heiboi:

54 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Chae Jong Hyeop is surprisingly very strong. I really thought their whole team was going to lose but they didn't! :laugh:

CJH was clutching onto that gym ball like there was no tomorrow! :eeeee:He looks like he has a model's figure, but he is actually quite strong :smug:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JenL said:

Wondering if it's just this streaming site or all the streaming sites? It would be all of them right...so they're making it weekly, right?

TVING talked about it on their Twitter page, so I believe it'll be one episode this week and next week. Maybe they will resume two episodes on the 6th of August? They didn't say anything about this being an ongoing thing, just talked about episode 3 and 4. 

Spoiler

• Like 3