The Witch's Diner / Come to the Witch's Restaurant 마녀식당으로 오세요 [2021]

Jane

On 7/25/2021 at 9:56 AM, Tofu said:

Glad to know that we all felt the same when episode three ended. I seriously was thinking that I might have skipped some scenes because it came so abruptly. Why did they change it to just one episode a week? 

Hahaha, as you know I don't mind a one episode a week schedule. But I wish the drama was longer :letalQQ: 8 Episodes feels like just a tease. I think the story will be told well, but it would be much more lovely to see some deeper development with the main trio. 

@mademoiselle I didn't even think that Gil Yong could possibly replace Director Oh! Considering that Gil Yong's wish is to be with her forever, this can turn out to be true. 

I wouldn't mind this...but wonder what Director Oh is aside from a magical shadow :thinking:

Sometimes I am happy I didn't grow up in an Asian country because I have no idea what kind of career I would have right now. There is so much pressure to do well in school and even then, that doesn't guarantee you a job when you graduate. 

Me too! It looks so stressful and those type of job interviews with 6 people in a row all listening to each other's answers look like torture :psweatduck: I'd probably fail all the job interviews and just be a bum :idk:

I think based on this alone, I am finally realizing what @SilverMoonTea constantly put herself through with these second leads. Why do you suffer like this, Silver?! 

On 7/25/2021 at 9:23 AM, stroppyse said:

I like the chemistry between Jin and GY, but not sure I buy it on a romance level. That may have to do with the fact that they made GY be a high schooler though, even if GY is contemplating dropping out of school.

I think what I am relating to with @SilverMoonTea is how she constantly puts herself through controversial romances and looking for crumbs in very mild romances:laugh:  We already relate in that we both like intense romantic tension even if the romance is not quite there :eeeee:(Actually this year, I think I've really lapped up the mild romances. Everyone was disappointed in the Daebak Real Estate/ Sell Your Haunted House non-romance romance, but I still liked it :BulbaOWO:)

How do you live through it all, Tea? And why do they always love putting my legal Oppas in school uniforms and have them hard crushing on young working noonas?! :idk:

I wasn't actually swept away by GY's reasons for wanting to stay by Jin's side. Basically, it boils down to GY thinks Jin is pretty when she smiles. I know he's meant to be intrigued when she gives him confusing advice for living as a nice person or not, but at the end of the day, it seems to be because Jin is pretty. 

I watched GY's wish scenes a few times when the episode came out and I thought the reason he liked her was implied through the scenes rather than what he said explicitly to the witch :BulbaOWO:.

He said when they first met she didn't know how tired she was and he'd like her to smile more. Her smile looked pretty. He wanted to see it more often. What is implied through the scenes chosen for the flashback: he realises that she's a really empathic and kind person (which is why she's crying and gives him conflicting advice about why it sucks being nice). She also carries a positive spark and tries not to burden others when she's clearly suffering herself. The line about her smile being pretty was not so much to attribute a reason as to why he liked her, but was said as an emphasis of his wish - about how he wanted to see her be a much happier person :heart:

I also think GY is actually smarter than the rest of the people who have made wishes with the witch. He's acutely aware that there is a price to be paid for any wish you make and that wishes may not be all they seem. Which is why I thought he was being somewhat careful with what he revealed. Because his reason for liking her sounds so simple, and his wish relating to Jin is so basic, even the witch is taken aback and asks him if he won't regret the whole thing. Hehe, GY doesn't give the witch much to work with :idk:

On 7/25/2021 at 11:55 AM, stroppyse said:

I'm actually not getting a good read on the world that is shown in this drama, so not sure what role Chief Oh really plays either.

I think the world as well as above bit with GY's reasons would have been better fleshed out if the series was the standard 16 episode series rather than just 8. I feel like there's lots of reading between the lines and implied meanings in this series, which can be confusing. 

Director Oh seems to be a bit of a minion? Whether he has a deeper role, we shall see. :idk:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

16 minutes ago, JenL said:

And why do they always love putting my legal Oppas in school uniforms and have them hard crushing on young working noonas?! 

I blurted out ROFL upon reading this :lmao2: As I know your pain history bwahaha.... And seems you will still fall in the same trap :heiboi:

GY's wish is actually very spectacular for me. He want to be with someone forever and he just know her for a brief encounter. If I'm the witch, I also will be taken aback :pandawizard:

21 minutes ago, JenL said:

@SilverMoonTea is how she constantly puts herself through controversial romances and looking for crumbs in very mild romances:laugh:  We already relate in that we both like intense romantic tension even if the romance is not quite there 

Yeah I'm getting worse recently. I look for romance in perfectly 100% crime drama :smug: Just ignore me everyone... hahaha....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Your comment made me totally laugh! I think that Bae Yoon Gi will be fine. He's winning an award and a monetary reward as a brave citizen, as shown on the news for his bravery. That should be the start of his opportunity. The fame may be momentary, but it means more people are aware of who he is, and it could open new doors for him since he's not just one of the many resumes albeit one with fewer specs than others. Plus, as @mademoiselle, they can probably stitch his fingers back.

Hahaha Thanks to you and @mademoiselle for making me feel better that he did not sacrifice 2 fingers to become a toilet cleaner (toilet cleaners are a noble job...but just not worth 2 finger cost!) :laugh:

On 7/25/2021 at 1:12 PM, mademoiselle said:

@JenL I remember one more detail about the Til Death Do Us Part show. The couple was bound to a figurine of the both of them - the figurine of a bride & groom we use for the cake. I think it was after marriage the husband wants to break his promise but he couldn't so he tries to murder his wife. I remember one scene where a cover was deliberately put over the figurine so the wife couldn't breathe while he himself went scuba diving. I honestly can't remember who was the one who died in the end. But I want to know the full story. So curious!

This show is really dark! :lettalKWA: What were you watching as a child...was this animated or real people acting? If you ever find out please let me know because I would be curious to find out the ending too :heiboi:

On 7/25/2021 at 1:12 PM, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha @Tofu I think I saw a bit of Sabrina the Teenage Witch too but this one is not scary at all.

Have you guys seen the new rebooted Sabrina the Teenage Witch on Netflix? In a way it reminds me aesthetically of The Witch's Diner - It's much more darker and gory than the last one, but it's also comical and comic book cheesy at time. I quite like it, even when it's sometimes so weird or I cringe at some cheese. However, if I'd seen this new version as a kid I would have been so traumatised...haha :scaredpanda2: The cast chemistry is super cute in real life though - main pair really like teasing their shippers on Instagram!

But you're totally right - the old 90's Sabrina was not scary at all! :heiboi:

19 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

My favourite character here is that sassy mandrake lols

Hahaha, that plant is super cute :pandahehe:

Back to the drama itself, I think this drama can be classified as dark comedy? The payment for the wishes that being granted is really not that fair. 2 fingers for just 1 simple request, to have a decent job? Really? 

I think Dark Comedy or Black comedy is a good description of the genre - it's like a bit more cynical or ironic in it's humour rather than laugh out loud humour.

Somehow I could imagine if you encountered the witch, you'd be bargaining for discount on your wish :lenny:

I think it's good to have just 8 episodes for me. For now I'm quite entertained with the gorgeous setting, some sparks between GY and Jin (yes, I'm with @JenLon this 🥰)

Hehehe, 8 episodes so less chance you will drop it? :laugh:

Yay, another one for GY and Jin :BulbaOWO:  People seem to like GY and Jin on Twitter - I've had so many messages and retweets about it. I guess it's because they could prepare for age gap/ his age wasn't hidden and dropped as a surprise like DDSSLLS :idk:

qHu5HVn.gif

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JenL said:

This show is really dark! What were you watching as a child...was this animated or real people acting? If you ever find out please let me know because I would be curious to find out the ending too 

Real people acting. That's why it's creepy. LOL

8 minutes ago, JenL said:

People seem to like GY and Jin on Twitter

Let's face it... what is there not to like about them? :BulbaOWO:

14 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Yeah I'm getting worse recently. I look for romance in perfectly 100% crime drama :smug: Just ignore me everyone

You are so weird, I tell ya. I guess I should be glad you're not shipping her with the Circus Man... :thinking:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
5 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Yeah I'm getting worse recently. I look for romance in perfectly 100% crime drama :smug: Just ignore me everyone... hahaha....

I know - I have seen your Voice 4 shipping thread :lenny::laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I am caught up with all 3 episodes now.

Let me just say that I was literally yelping out loud, many times, when those two fingers were cut off!

I haven't back read on the pages here, anyway, I love all the three main cast. Don't really have much to comment since it's all a nice viewing so far. I recognised the diner's exterior though as the same one that is used in Hi Bye Mama? Then the house of Witch is also the office used in Nobody Knows... haha... that's from having watched too much dramas :laugh:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears

I just started watching this drama. Really amazed at the graphics and the story plot. I am so intrigued right now. I just finished episode 1

• Like 4
  • Party! 3

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Then the house of Witch is also the office used in Nobody Knows... haha... that's from having watched too much dramas 

Ahh!! It was, wasn't it?! I kept thinking that it looked so familiar but I could not remember where I saw it from. :laugh:

28 minutes ago, UnniSara said:

I just started watching this drama. Really amazed at the graphics and the story plot. I am so intrigued right now. I just finished episode 1

Yay!! I'm glad you're watching it too! I'm going to pretend you started watching because of all my Chae Jong Hyeop talks on discord, Twitter, and here. :lmao2:

@JenL I haven't seen the reboot version on Netflix but from the clips that I have seen, it seems like it's a darker version of the 90s show. I don't have time for Western shows because of how many dramas I've committed myself to. I don't know how @mademoiselle does it. She can watch dramas, Western shows, and stay updated on movies too. She is a saint. 8FRldK5.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I am caught up with all 3 episodes now.

Let me just say that I was literally yelping out loud, many times, when those two fingers were cut off!

Haha don't blame you - it looked painful! :lettalKWA: I was glad I wasn't eating dinner!

I love all the three main cast. Don't really have much to comment since it's all a nice viewing so far. I recognised the diner's exterior though as the same one that is used in Hi Bye Mama? Then the house of Witch is also the office used in Nobody Knows... haha... that's from having watched too much dramas 

This leading trio are the best  :wow: And even though it's not a long drama, they've built up chemistry really well. Haha, can't believe you recognise all the drama locations :laugh: 

49 minutes ago, UnniSara said:

Yayyyy, glad you're watching. I agree, it's got rather smooth graphics and there's an air of mystery which I always like in the series I pick up. :CharmanderYay: Haha, I wonder if the series is short because it was expensive to do those magical graphics :thinking:

16 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Yay!! I'm glad you're watching it too! I'm going to pretend you started watching because of all my Chae Jong Hyeop talks on discord, Twitter, and here. 

I see you're spreading the good word about Chae Jong Hyeop on all mediums  :laugh: 

17 minutes ago, Tofu said:

@JenL I haven't seen the reboot version on Netflix but from the clips that I have seen, it seems like it's a darker version of the 90s show. I don't have time for Western shows because of how many dramas I've committed myself to. I don't know how @mademoiselle does it. She can watch dramas, Western shows, and stay updated on movies too. She is a saint. 8FRldK5.gif

Haha, I wouldn't underestimate yourself though... I think you watch the most types of Asian dramas out of everyone - Chinese, Taiwanese, Thai, Korean :MewHi:  (Do you watch Japanese ones? :thinking:). I tend to do Taiwanese, Korean or International shows (usually British, American or occasionally, Spanish). Correct me if I'm wrong, I think @mademoiselle is able to fit in Western shows because she said she doesn't really care for Chinese dramas? Chinese dramas are intense with their dropping 10 episodes at a time! :lettalKWA: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

@JenL @mademoiselle It seems like it, but I also drop a lot of dramas too. :psweatduck: I might be on par with @SilverMoonTea when it comes to how many dramas I've dropped. :laugh: Since I frequent China Charms, I do some first impression of a lot of the releases so while I may watch a lot, I don't always finish them. With Chinese dramas that I do watch, you can skip half of the drama and still understand all the things that happened. Most of my completed Chinese dramas are not thoroughly watched. :lmao2: With Thai and Japanese dramas, I think I watch one or two of those per year. And Jen, so far this year, no Taiwanese drama worth watching. :idk:

2 hours ago, JenL said:

I see you're spreading the good word about Chae Jong Hyeop on all mediums   

At this point, I think all the JH staffs know how much I adore Chae Jong Hyeop. LOL!!!

Fans are so creative. LOL!!

• Haha 5
4 hours ago, Tofu said:

Yay!! I'm glad you're watching it too! I'm going to pretend you started watching because of all my Chae Jong Hyeop talks on discord, Twitter, and here

I don’t mind admitting it is all the discord and  tweets that got me to start watching. But I kinda am restless of the high school kid crushing on noona’s  because these couple have the hardest time making it work. 
Both FL and ML are really struggling and too nice. They neee to toughen up so they don’t get stepped on. I love that Jun’s wish was revenge because she has had nothing but disappointment one after another.  This got to me  and now I am hooked 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886e7334431807ac1125f

• Like 5

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

@Tofu Yeah I read about some of you guys' drama viewing habits. I don't know/think it will be easy to pin-point who exactly watches more all at the same time! For me, at one point, I really was watching 9-10 dramas per week without FF. So that was a lot but I haven't been watching this many anymore since going back to the office. I also play catch-up on the less addictive ones on Fri night and weekend. I'm watching 7 dramas now, which is breezy because only 10 hours per week due to most of them airing one episode per week. I'll watch the movie Hard Hit this week too.

There's also less dramas to watch because the Big 3 are not doing well anymore so they are reducing drama production. Plus some were affected by either COVID or scandals.

@JenL C-dramas dropping 10 episodes all at one go would be beneficial isn't it? They tend to be shorter (not 1 hour+ like Kdramas) so minus the opening and ending credits, it's probably about 30-40 mins isn't it? I'd just binge it all. I remember binging 35 episodes of Scarlet Heart on YouTube. I think at first I just watch what I want then I re-watch it all again and then read the novel. :laugh: I remember binging The Moon That Embraces the Sun in less than 2 days (sacrificing sleeps). The love I had for KSH then because of Do Min Joon. :lmao2: And then I regret after because I ran out of KSH's dramas to watch.

• Haha 5

Park Kyung-Hee  got her Karma. She lived terribly and scammed the weak. I never expected her Karma would be for her to die , I can’t feel bad for her at all.  

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148868b3f3140ba8c0bcf0c

Jin went through a lot in the first episode, it was like the universe was out to get her because she was nice.  Hee-Ra is supposed to meet a child, I wonder which child??

The Epilogue to episode 1, there was  two family pictures, one of Jin and  Gil-Young.

Lol  Jin’s wish was done in appropriately because she has no idea

what price she will have to pay  like he did 

She tricked Jin really good. 

Gil-Young will be bullied a lot especially if hw remains friends with that weak friends of his . His friend is pathetic and will turn on him. A friend like that is bad for your anyone’s health. Like Jin said being nice is wrong. He is so ungrateful dumb dumb 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, UnniSara said:

But I kinda am restless of the high school kid crushing on noona’s  because these couple have the hardest time making it work. 

Hahaha! There has been a lot of highschool/noona romances or talks about this type of romance. :thinking:

17 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm watching 7 dramas now, which is breezy because only 10 hours per week due to most of them airing one episode per week.

I never thought I would hear someone say watching seven dramas is a breeze. :laugh: I'm watching six dramas and I'm behind on three of them. The only ones I'm on track with are those airing one episode a week. Haha! With Chinese dramas, most are around 30 minutes so a 30 episode series is about 15 regular episodes or less if you skip all the unnecessary stuff. Sometimes they stick in unnecessary storylines and characters. :idk:

@UnniSara :lol:!! I laughed so much reading your little "LKH is everywhere" text in the gif you made. He is really everywhere right now. :lmao2:

Episode 4 pre-released clip. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Translation of the pre-release clip that @Tofu posted above.

Jin: Don’t you go the other way?
GY: That’s right.
Jin: Then why?
GY: Just because I want to walk.
Jin: Children shouldn’t be running around at night.
GY: I’m not a child.
Jin: If you’re younger than me, then you’re a child.  (meaning he’s a child to her)
GY: It’s not just that I wanted to go for a walk either.
(Jin looks at GY)
GY: I’m walking you home.
Jin: Really? What do you think I am? I’m okay to go by myself.
GY: Noona may be okay, but I’m not okay with you walking by yourself.
Jin: Really? Okay, if you want.
GY: A little while ago. When that noona said that for the sake of the person she loved, she was even willing to forgo her dream, that was pretty cool.
Jin: What does a little thing like you know?
GY: But I’m taller than noona. (stepping in front of Jin) This much.
Jin: Oh. Really? It must be nice for you being so tall.
Jin: But I thought that it was a bit sad. That the most important thing in her life was another person. Living is so difficult anyway.
GY: That noona will be okay, right? Since she’ll get her wish.
Jin: We have to hope that she’ll be okay.
Jin: Oh, right. You! What about your school?
GY: I’m thinking about it. Whether there is another way or not.
Jin: Okay. I don’t think it’s that important which path you take. What’s important is how you feel about that path.
GY: I… there is a movie that I want to see.
Jin: A movie? (sighs) Speaking of that, it feels as if it’s been a hundred thousand years since I’ve watched a movie.
GY: Oh! Then do you want to go watch a movie with me? On Sunday?
Jin: Sure. I don’t have anything to do anyway. (turning back to him) However, it can be anything other than a horror movie. I hate those. Because I keep having nightmares, I dislike them even more.

• Thanks 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Party! 2

@Tofu That's 10-11 hours for 7 dramas (mixture of 1 or 2 episodes for the drama) vs 18 hours for 9 dramas (2 episodes each drama).  Hahahaha. Feel like more and more dramas are going to go for one episode per week format now. I'm not sure I'll like that even though I did start off watching 1 episode per week of TW or JP dramas. I'll just have to increase the no. of dramas to compensate hahahaha except sometimes it is not possible if there are no good dramas on all at the same time.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

@stroppyse I added the subs to the clip, hopefully I synced them correctly. =)

Seems like they will go on an unofficial "date" to the movies. :cool:

@mademoiselle Hahaha! I think I'll get overwhelmed if I pick up too many. I think when work is busy, I'm all for the one episodes a week dramas. When I have no stressor in my life, or it's a drama I'm liking so far, two episodes a week is not enough. :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Noteworthy bit is Gil Yong is quite smooth in asking Noona out without her realising it's a date!

Hahaha! Indeed. I've watched the clip many times to add the subs and I laughed each time that part comes up. It was so random and out of nowhere. :lmao2:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
On 7/28/2021 at 11:59 AM, Tofu said:

@JenL @mademoiselle It seems like it, but I also drop a lot of dramas too. :psweatduck: I might be on par with @SilverMoonTea when it comes to how many dramas I've dropped. :laugh: Since I frequent China Charms, I do some first impression of a lot of the releases so while I may watch a lot, I don't always finish them. With Chinese dramas that I do watch, you can skip half of the drama and still understand all the things that happened. Most of my completed Chinese dramas are not thoroughly watched. :lmao2: With Thai and Japanese dramas, I think I watch one or two of those per year. And Jen, so far this year, no Taiwanese drama worth watching. :idk:

Hahaha, so you are in the same notorious dropping league as @SilverMoonTea :smug:

I can't really fast forward dramas even if it's predictable :lettalKWA:  Haha, but given the length of Chinese dramas, you would have to in order to keep up with all the ones coming out! I generally tend to know what I like, so I only drop a few dramas each year. So far this year it's only been Sweet Home and You are my Spring :idk:

On 7/28/2021 at 5:54 PM, mademoiselle said:

@JenL C-dramas dropping 10 episodes all at one go would be beneficial isn't it? They tend to be shorter (not 1 hour+ like Kdramas) so minus the opening and ending credits, it's probably about 30-40 mins isn't it? I'd just binge it all

Hahaha...I'm not much of a binging person. It happens only once in awhile...remember, I'm the only person who liked the 1 episode per week Taiwanese schedule. And I came to Janghaven because I met  @Jane when it took us 6 weeks to watch the Jasper Liu- Lee Seung Gi variety Twogether and we could have just binged it in 24 hours as all the episodes were dropped by Netflix on one day :laugh::laugh::laugh:

11 hours ago, Tofu said:

I never thought I would hear someone say watching seven dramas is a breeze. :laugh: 

@mademoiselle is like the Olympian of K-drama watching :pandachamp:

11 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Translation of the pre-release clip that @Tofu posted above.

Oooohhh Thanks so much for this @stroppyse :wow::heart::BulbaOWO: 

It's nice to know what they're saying since this seems to be a nice little clip of these two!

Hehe, my Korean is nowhere near advanced enough to understand clips. But this week I learn how to negate verbs and adjectives using   :yayaya:

10 hours ago, Tofu said:

Seems like they will go on an unofficial "date" to the movies. :cool:

5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Finally got a chance to watch the pre-release cut! TVING knows we're digging this ship, don't they? Heh. Now I'm looking forward to the movie date. Noteworthy bit is Gil Yong is quite smooth in asking Noona out without her realising it's a date! :smug:

They're so cute... :heart::wow: Gil Yong is very smooth - pulls out all stops including his height as tools of seduction...can't blame Jin for falling into his trap :smile::hearties:

The logic of that scene went from "Hey I'm taller than you" to "Let's watch a movie" :laugh:

But I love them soooooooooooooooooo much :BulbaOWO:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

@JenL I told @mademoiselle and @SilverMoonTea I will give You Are My Spring another glance over once Voice 4 is done. For Sweet Home, I'm still watching that slowly but it's not high on my priority list. I made movements into episode 2 this past weekend. :eeeee: Even if mademoiselle does not watch that many dramas anymore, she will still be the no. 1 for us. :pandachamp:

Hahaha, dropping dramas. I have no comment on that anymore. :lmao2:

Those gifs are so cute!! :wow: Look at Chae Jong Hyeop and his cheeky smile in that first one. :laugh:

I'm a little bummed that we don't get a clip of Hee Ra. She's so interesting to me. Also, based on the exchanges between Jin and Gil Yong, the fourth wish will involve a sacrifice for their significant other...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Calling @Tofu + @JenL!!! Crumbs!!

---

21 hours ago, JenL said:

I generally tend to know what I like, so I only drop a few dramas each year. So far this year it's only been Sweet Home and You are my Spring 

17 hours ago, Tofu said:

For Sweet Home, I'm still watching that slowly but it's not high on my priority list.

"Sweet Home" - One drop. One not on priority list bunny-cute.gif

• Haha 5