The Witch's Diner / Come to the Witch's Restaurant 마녀식당으로 오세요 [2021]

Jane

Do I like the ending? You bet I do! ☺️

In ep.7, I was starting to be rather disappointed with all these getting revenge back and forth, but I was pleased to see in the end that the message of the drama is not that at all. In fact, it brings back the message of “be careful what you wish for”. I am happy to see the background  story all explained well. Even the family picture of Gil Yong. I teared up at the end of ep.7 when Jin said the word “Omma”, and then in ep.8 when they had their “last meal” together when the mothers had a talk while the others clean up. 

I’d say I like the length of the drama for the story telling but kinda sad that we don’t get to see more of the characters. 

CJH with his boyish look reminds me so much of Lee Hyun Woo, who also doesn’t look his age at all. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Finished watching ep 7 and 8, and thought it was a nice finish. I liked the messages that wishing harm on others has a way of rebounding on you and that there is a price to pay so nothing is ever really easy.

I had suspected that HR was Jin's mother already so that didn't surprise me, however, that HR's mother had been a witch as well did. I liked that twist that you had to actively do something in order to fully become a witch. That sounded fitting.

GY's arc was lovely as well. He went from being lost to finding a purpose, and even sweeter that his mother was the one who wished him to be a happy, grounded person rather than wishing for riches or fame or to go to a good university or anything material like that. His mother truly wanted her son to be a happy, confident boy even if she wasn't able to be by his side.

I'm also fine with the openness of the romance between GY and Jin. They've become a team already, and like and respect each other. Who knows if it will actually become love, but I doubt there will ever be anyone else for either of them.

Tom Kim's ending didn't bother me too much actually. When Jin decided not to press charges, I didn't like the fact that he was free to prey on others. However, by publicizing his family the way it ultimately happened, it means that he won't be able to be quite so free to prey on other women, especially since he's going to fear losing what he has. It's unfortunate that it takes a witch's wish in order for him to get a conscience though.

Finally, my thoughts about Jin. I love how Jin has 2 mothers, both of whom loved her, wanted her, and protected her even if Jin hadn't been aware of it during that time. It was also lovely how Jin had been an answer to one mother's prayers and ultimately became the redemption and literal salvation of her birth mother. It became clear that after Jin was born, HR had been using her own wishes to try to help and protect Jin, and if she had used another wish to do harm to Tom Kim, then HR would have disappeared forever. Jin stopping her mother and asserting her own will as an adult was good.

This isn't Jin who stood by and let things happen to her. Nor is this the Jin who got scammed by that restaurant owner and was blind with rage and desire for revenge. Rather, Jin has matured and is actively taking charge of her life and her choices.

I ultimately came to really enjoy this drama. Thanks to everyone on this thread! It was reading you all that raised my curiosity and finally caused me to start this drama.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
16 hours ago, stroppyse said:

It became clear that after Jin was born, HR had been using her own wishes to try to help and protect Jin, and if she had used another wish to do harm to Tom Kim, then HR would have disappeared forever.

It wasn’t very clear to me that she had made more wishes... where is it shown? I think I missed something...

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

It wasn’t very clear to me that she had made more wishes... where is it shown? I think I missed something...

It wasn't directly said, but the inference goes like this. In an early episode, HR and the CEO had been talking about how if she made another wish, she would probably disappear. However, they didn't discuss what wishes HR had been making. It's only after we find out that HR is Jin's mother and that she has been keeping a protective eye over her all that time, e.g. when HR finds Jin when she had become lost as a child and takes her back to her mother, and that HR was about to use her potential last wish to get revenge for Jin that it all made sense as to why HR had made so many wishes. Jin is the most important person for HR, especially after realizing that it was her curse that is making her own daughter suffer so much.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
9 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

In an early episode, HR and the CEO had been talking about how if she made another wish, she would probably disappear.

Thanks! I remember this conversation, but I thought that was for her initial wish, because we're shown her the scars and her leg burning after she made the wish. Is there plural and singular of the word "wish"? I guess it is possible for anyone to make more than one wishes. It was never stated the rule that you can only make one wish. As long as you're willing to pay the price, I guess it is possible. And we did see Jin making her second wish.

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Thanks! I remember this conversation, but I thought that was for her initial wish, because we're shown her the scars and her leg burning after she made the wish. Is there plural and singular of the word "wish"? I guess it is possible for anyone to make more than one wishes. It was never stated the rule that you can only make one wish. As long as you're willing to pay the price, I guess it is possible. And we did see Jin making her second wish.

There isn't a plural and singular for the word "wish" that they use, however, HR specifically says that if she makes another wish, she would probably disappear to which CEO Seo agrees that she probably would. So, it's the use of the word "another" that indicates she's made wishes before, and it's affected her.

The conversation didn't make sense until you realize that she's been keeping a protective eye on Jin.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • 1 month later...