Dal Li and Gamjatang 달리와 감자탕 [2021]

Waaa! Took me forever to get started on Dali & Gamjatang episode 2 because I couldn't stop swooning at you-know-who! xD I'm not hooked on this yet and I'm also not sure I like Moo Hak as a character (much prefer Park Joon Young still at this point). There were too much yelling at the moment.

So that nephew is the prime suspect of the potential murder. Actually, they didn't even tell us how did Dali's dad die, did they?

And yes! Now it's clear why Moo Hak had tattoos on him. I was thinking, "Hey he didn't have that before so this must be fake" and just an act he puts up thinking he could scare the naive, innocent well-protected daughter of Cheongsong to pay up. LOL LOL. I'm going to enjoy him being completely embarassed next episode for this uncultural approach LOL!

That Lee Jang Tae Jin though, I wish he had a good haircut. His hairstyle looks so oily and long (unkempt) for a chaebol.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Insightful 3
  • Haha 1

:lmao2:I LOL so much at the ending of ep.2.... Moo Hak has fallen so deep he doesn’t know it 🤣

Love this episode too... can we have the next episode already??! 

There are humorous scenes but the quiet moments are very well done too. Powerful enough to stir the emotions. I teared up two times in ep.2. One at the scene when Dali hang up the phone call crying besides her car. The other was when Won Tak was telling her how he missed all the chances to express his love and gratitude to her father. 

All the BGMs are lovely too 😍

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Except don't hit your own chest. That would hurt for us! 

We flip hair @Tofu 😉

8 hours ago, Tofu said:

Side comment: Anyone watching The Veil? When Won Tak came running at the funeral, I immediately thought, "OMG Kyung Seok is alive!!" only to realize this is a different drama. 

Me... for one second there, haha...

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Oh this so fun, the moment this cocky prince barged into the gallery doing protest for his money back, I was thinking, ah this will be so emabarassing if he meets DL that way. I know how he values his styles so much. As if it doesn't enough that falling down on top of her was really embarassing too. Lols. 

I noticed the actress who played DL in prev dramas I've watched before. She looks super beautiful here, I mean she's beautiful, but here she looks more elegant and ravishing. I love when she speaks in those foreign languages. Her voice and pronunciation sounds very soft and fluent. Also, I like those foreign cameos, this time, here they sound natural and act pretty well. I mean, I've seen many foreign actors in kdramas before, they act too scripted and unatural. 

Who killed the director? Everyone looks so suspicious, that cousin especially, how faked his tears. The point is, the Jin Mu Hak's cousin or adopted brother, he is the witness. But this is very strange, how could the killer just left while didn't check the room in case anyone was around at that time. 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

That Lee Tae Jin though, I wish he had a good haircut. His hairstyle looks so oily and long (unkempt) for a chaebol.

Did you mean Kwon Yuk as Jang Tae Jin? I know him from a few of his dramas, but mostly I remember him as evil one. He is chubbier now. Probably the hair? It seems kdrama love long hairstyle recently. I wonder why and how could they come up with it. But... somehow he doesn't look that bad. I dont like the hair either but he looks quite handsome here. Do you think what makes me think he is so. Lols. Well, forget it. I'm just talking nonsense.

8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

much prefer Park Joon Young still at this point

Who is he??

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

The point is, the Jin Mu Hak's cousin or adopted brother, he is the witness. But this is very strange, how could the killer just left while didn't check the room in case anyone was around at that time. 

My gripe is that, how can the police not investigate the sudden death. Was it natural death or murder? There were cups used by those two, police should suspect a guest came by. Unless the half-brother cleaned up before leaving, which I doubt considering how goofy he is. If not then the police should at least check the Director’s call log... LOL, this is my investigative mind talking. Feel free to ignore. Since this drama is not about murder, I guess they won’t cover it in details, but I do hope they will explain more later on. 

• Like 5

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

My gripe is that, how can the police not investigate the sudden death. Was it natural death or murder? There were cups used by those two, police should suspect a guest came by. Unless the half-brother cleaned up before leaving, which I doubt considering how goofy he is. If not then the police should at least check the Director’s call log... LOL, this is my investigative mind talking. Feel free to ignore. Since this drama is not about murder, I guess they won’t cover it in details, but I do hope they will explain more later on. 

No, we r on the same page for this. I think we watch too many detective stories, so our logic works like we are one of them.

I think it will be revealed later, for now DL has to deal with this cocky debtor, he's totally falling for her not the wrist-watch lols. I wonder how he handles his own heart. 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
11 hours ago, Tofu said:

Side comment: Anyone watching The Veil? When Won Tak came running at the funeral, I immediately thought, "OMG Kyung Seok is alive!!" only to realize this is a different drama. :laugh:

I am watching...LOL...This actor was in Tale of the Nine Tailed right? He was Lee Dong Wook's right hand man. 

Time passed quite fast in eps 2 . We now find out that Dali's father had been struggling financially to keep the gallery afloat. And it seems that the his eldest nephew was the last to see him. They didn't mention if it was murder - and I am guessing it is not as Dali seemed rather calm. I supposed it could be a heart attack. The only thing was that MuHak's brother seems so shock as if he saw a ghost. Anyway will there be a love quadrangle? I know Won Tak is like a brother to Dali but of course it is possible he may like her romantically . Then of course there's Jang Tae Jin ( Kwon Yul ) who almost married her & I suppose still likes her.  I am guessing he will probably want to bail her out , but she would refuse. 

I cracked up when MuHak went all loan shark style to go get his $$ back. He and Dali are complete opposites but that seems to be the charm - he's pretty rough around the edges, and I guess rather "uncultured" compared to Dali. However his character isn't as caricature as some rom-com MLs tend to be . So I don't find it off-putting. Yes, his PA knows him too well - it wasn't the watch that he was sad to lose - he was completely taken in by Dali. So it was hilarious that their reunion ended up this way! 

109370089.1.jpg

@mademoiselle I kept thinking that KMJ went from gentle tortured soul Park Joon Young to this shouty uncouth money minded MuHak. Talk about world's apart! I bet KMJ is having a blast filming this. And did you notice the OTT way they furnished his house & office? Gosh. 

• Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

On 9/22/2021 at 11:53 PM, abs-oluteM said:

@Warm Pawsdid you check this out yet?

Yes! I've watched the first episode! I'll be waiting for subs for this one so I'll probably be lagging a bit.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:53 PM, abs-oluteM said:

And in typical KBS style - there's always a hint of mystery / crime in all their rom-coms.

This caught me a bit off guard too! I was certainly not expecting a sudden shift in tone, especially with the lingering crime/mystery music. I wonder how much it will take up the show. I certainly hope it won't.

The different settings are nice. I particularly like the museum in Korea. The tree art piece that they were looking at was really striking, especially with the lighting. I'm assuming this is a real museum? The sign says "Cheongsong Museum of Art" but I'm not getting any hits in Google that looks similar. Real museum but they used a different name for the show maybe?

I'm curious about the shots from the Netherlands. The village they drove through on the way to the party felt fake/ cartoonish in the overhead drone shot. However, some places do look "fake" if you're unfamiliar with it, especially with some European places that get away with bright colors that I think you won't normally see in other places...? (Adding a question mark cause I actually don't know, just based on my experience and from what little I've actually seen of the world so far) The close up view though looked more real, so I'm assuming it is.

With the mansion though, I'm assuming that its CGI similar to what they did in Vincenzo. But then again, it might be one of those places that just looks fake on screen. I'm leaning towards CGI though. One day, we probably won't be able to tell the difference anymore. Only the experts or those with a very keen eye will know, just like Dali with that Modigliani painting.

Just want to add how much Korean shows impress me these days, not just in terms of CGI, but in terms of cinematography and writing. They have certainly caught up with - and at this point, even much better than - Western productions with supposedly higher budgets. I apologize for the rambling, but things like these are what I usually notice on the first episode of a show. 

Anyway, enough of the setting. I like the main leads so far. Like other sentiments here, there's actually less bickering than I anticipated. The Cocky Prince certainly doesn't feel cocky at all so far - or at least not as cocky as what they make other rich characters to be. My favorite line is when Jin said that Dali shouldn't be responsible for what happened during the party. Certainly not what other entitled people would say. At least we he's not just all talk, he knows his stuff. Pigs aren't really a pleasant topic but Jin knows what his family's business runs on. I still don't know why that party host decides to display that painting together with all her special paintings when she's actually embarassed by it. 😆 Both characters are rich but not brats, which is kind of a breath of fresh air for me.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2
9 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Then of course there's Jang Tae Jin ( Kwon Yul ) who almost married her & I suppose still likes her.  I am guessing he will probably want to bail her out , but she would refuse. 

This guy could be the last person with Dali’s father too... He seems shady, and Kwon Yul does play the baddies often. 

6 hours ago, Warm Paws said:

I'm assuming this is a real museum? The sign says "Cheongsong Museum of Art" but I'm not getting any hits in Google that looks similar. Real museum but they used a different name for the show maybe?

It’s one of the MMCA (Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art) in Korea. I don’t know which location though. They will usually use real place with fictional names. Just like in drama Her Private Life. (Edit: It’s MMCA in Gwacheon)

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Didn't have time to go through all the cuts but I did zoom in to this one..

LOL she fell twice on him due to a broken heel. And best part is he later took out those bling bling crocs he had used in Netherlands and offered it to her

This one also made me laugh. So he took her to get some shoes but her cards all could not go through. Out of the blue, Mr 2nd Lead/ ex fiance came in and offered to pay but she refused. Then she turned to Mr Gamjatang saying she's waiting for him - she was hoping he'd catch the drift to pretend to be her BF , and pay first for her. Mr stingy poker played along , fortunately!

Preview

• Haha 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

@mademoiselle I think so far it's been quite fun. It isn't the tightest script out there but  there's enough to keep things interesting & I am laughing.  There are some cliché characters and scenarios of course but not deal breakers. I think perhaps MuHak isn't the usual swoony male lead that we may take awhile to warm up to him. He's on the complete opposite of the spectrum when compared to Joon Young in Brahms, which makes me miss JY. He is loud , ignorant and hot-tempered. Sometimes I wish he wouldn't yell. But I think I like that he wears his heart on the sleeves sort of person and not the sort to harbor ill intentions.

Which brings me to Tae Jin. OOO so he ditched Dali - and it seems like Dali was very in love with him. Why did he break the engagement ? Family pressure? But I am not a fan of him thinking that he could have Dali back after breaking her heart so cruelly . That was pretty arrogant.

Favourite character so far is probably Dali. I just like her gentle demeanor. Perhaps had a very sheltered life but she seems quietly resilient. I liked how she dealt with the fake "gangsters" the second time at the art gallery .  

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

I just started ep 1 and am at the part where they go to the party and he is being introduced around as Jin Hitanori. I have to say the female host of the part is very outrageous but so are all the supposedly "rich" guests! :laugh:

And Dali's interpretation of Moo-Hak's assessment of the art collection :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

I haven't quite decided how I feel about this drama. I don't dislike it but I also don't feel excitement for it either. After four episodes, I wished there was more...even more interactions with the main leads. They are separated a lot and I like when both are together. 

I thought this was a rom-com? How come everything has been so somber? :thinking:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Didn't have time to comment on ep.3 yesterday. Anyway, who else here lick clean the cover of their yogurt? I for one can totally relate to MH's action, and it's actually one of the fun things to do when eating yogurt :laugh:

I like that MH gave Dali the awakening speech that she (or rather the museum) is in a dire state now. It seems that it has not dawned on her yet how serious the problem she is facing. She can't just keep promising that she will pay the debts. She needs to think more practically. 

Been wondering where he got all his "thugs" from, and it turned out that they're his kitchen staff, haha...

So someone is after something in the museum. The package that Dali's father discovered? Maybe the museum has been used by one of the employees secretly as a place for smuggling drugs? 

23 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Are you guys still enjoying the drama?

Yes, I am... :smile:

18 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

He is loud , ignorant and hot-tempered. Sometimes I wish he wouldn't yell. But I think I like that he wears his heart on the sleeves sort of person and not the sort to harbor ill intentions.

LOL, I actually really enjoyed his character, especially seeing KMJ in it.

18 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Which brings me to Tae Jin. OOO so he ditched Dali - and it seems like Dali was very in love with him. Why did he break the engagement ? Family pressure? But I am not a fan of him thinking that he could have Dali back after breaking her heart so cruelly . That was pretty arrogant.

Remember he requested something of Dali as a condition of him not breaking the engagement? We didn't get to hear it. But I bet it has something to do with her father, or the museum. Like maybe giving up the museum? 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I like that MH gave Dali the awakening speech that she (or rather the museum) is in a dire state now. It seems that it has not dawned on her yet how serious the problem she is facing. She can't just keep promising that she will pay the debts. She needs to think more practically. 

This is my favourite part of episode 4. The whole speech had my utmost attention out of the whole 2 episodes, LOL. I agreed with every word of it even though I know where she was coming from, and wanted to uphold that "family tradition" now that it's in her hands. While I don't think she was being naive and entirely impractical but I think she puts too much "faith" and "trust" in those people who once she thought were friends to her family—thinking they would help.

Oh, almost forgot the main reason why this part was my favourite. It's not just scolding but Moo Hak wasn't soft on her about this even though he was head over heels with her. At that moment, he didn't care s**t about impressing her or showing her his best image. I like that he's being honest and himself, and appreciate it because he must have had it hard before he became rich and is not taking his riches for granted.

I want to know how their Gamjatang became a franchise. I am interested to know how competent Moo Hak is. Did the business got this big because of Moo Hak or it was a joint father and son thing.

As for Jang Tae Jin, it really is curious why he breaks up with Dali 5 years ago. At first I thought he ran off and married the daughter of Segi group but now it seems that's not the case, he owns Segi group. So I'm guessing there must be an inheritance battle in Segi Group at the time that he had to ditch Dali...

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Anyway, who else here lick clean the cover of their yogurt? I for one can totally relate to MH's action, and it's actually one of the fun things to do when eating yogurt

When I watched that scene, I thought, "Wait, you meaning licking the cover of your yogurt is not a thing for other people?!" :shocked2::lmao2:

@ktcjdrama @mademoiselle Agreed about the lecture Moo Hak gave Dali. It's exactly what she needed to hear. I liked that he didn't hold back and was honest with her too. When you're hit with financial hardship, the things you want to do and the things you can do are two different things. I'm excited to see how Moo Hak is going to help Dali turn things around.

14 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I want to know how their Gamjatang became a franchise. I am interested to know how competent Moo Hak is. Did the business got this big because of Moo Hak or it was a joint father and son thing.

Me too. He must be much better than his half brother. I wonder if the half brother's other business ventures will be the downfall that the step mom wants for Moo Hak? 

The cloud egg that came up at the restaurant, maybe the chef who came up with that can make it for the kids? No need for a fancy chef. Kids do not appreciate that. I once made this nice curry meal for my nephews (they like curry) and they asked me for eggs and rice instead. :PikachuFacePalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3