Dal Li and Gamjatang 달리와 감자탕 [2021]

@abs-oluteM I agreed with you on MH. He may not understand idioms but running a business is something he's good at. The reality is the museum does not have enough money to operate so they need to cut the things that's not needed (maybe that empty café? Haha!). I will say that DL is that she has put aside her own comfort. I hope she gains her confidence again because would love to see the DL we saw in the first episode. 

I do not understand the second lead's infatuation with DL. That ship has sailed, so why is he still around -- it's been five years. If he wanted to make amend with her, why did he wait until she returned to South Korea? I wasn't thrilled to see that DL used him for his money so she could promote the space exhibit at the press conference. That's sending the wrong message, even if he was willing to help. 

LOL @ MH cleaning up the museum because he thought the artwork was trash. I probably would have thought someone littered the museum too, but did he not notice that it was in an empty space waiting to be set up and some things were in boxes?! Haha! 

Adding on to what you said, @abs-oluteM, there are soooo many unlikeable characters. I have not found one other person other than the main leads that I like -- maybe at most WT. I think if I was to drop this drama down the road, it's because I can't stand the side characters and the two main leads are not enough for me to continue. At least with Oh Master, all the characters were likeable! :lmao2:

By the way, I was glad to see was MH calling out the media and people for focusing on what DL wore at the press conference when she was just robbed and victimized. :pandachamp:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 2
44 minutes ago, Tofu said:

there are soooo many unlikeable characters. I have not found one other person other than the main leads that I like -- maybe at most WT.

I agree with you on this one. I love the leads but apart from them, there aren’t any other likeable characters. And yes, the only other interesting person is WT.  I actually find the gallery employees annoying. 

As for Dali’s ex, yes, I also don’t understand why he waited so long if his plan was always to win her back at some point. I would like to also know what led to the break up, what he asked her for in the past. 

I also don’t agree with Dali using him for his money. I haven’t quite gotten to this part yet due to lack of subs but I understood as much when I skimmed through it. I don’t know if she was doing it out of revenge or if she’s doing it out of desperation since her backs against the wall so to speak. 

• Like 7

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

What's with the camera works at the beginning of ep.6? It's making me dizzy...

I love her earrings... D and L ~ Da Li 

MH has great business sense. He knew something is not right, but he gets distracted easily that he doesn't follow through his hunch/suspicions, or that he's too kind and trusting of people around him. 

LOL, he is so cute in his "obsession" with Da Li. I guess he still didn't realise that he's fallen for her. He didn't sleep the whole night waiting for her text reply! 

O gosh, I laughed so hard when the staff watched MH destroyed the art piece... the BGM helped to set the mood.

Love the ending! Just give me ep.7 now!!! 

So, my take on the museum, although not understanding everything yet... Basically, I think there are people who want to take over the museum and close it down or demolish it so as to make way for that green belt thingy. And the people involve for sure is the Congressman Ahn and most probably SeGi group, although I am not sure how much Jang Tae Jin is involved in this. Still pretty sure he asked Da Li to give up the museum that rainy night. Her cousin has a hand in it, and MH's half-brother wants a hand in it, through blackmailing with the video recording that he has about what happened to Da Li's father. I hope MH's father will wisen up and tell him about the half-brother's plan.

OST#4

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears

On 10/8/2021 at 12:58 PM, Tofu said:

LOL @ MH cleaning up the museum because he thought the artwork was trash. I probably would have thought someone littered the museum too, but did he not notice that it was in an empty space waiting to be set up and some things were in boxes?! Haha! 

I laughed so much at this, and cringe later watching Moo Hak destroyed the "objets". I learnt a new word by the way LOL just don't know how long the mind will keep this word in the memory cells. I feel bad for Dali though because she threw herself out there to market the exhibition and Moo Hak ruined this award winning art piece. I can only hope his unintentional sabotage ended up making the art piece even better LOL.

My favourite scene is none other than the final scene in episode 6 where Moo Hak lost his cool and I see Kim Min Jae was shaking in anger. :wow:

So much information but good that we have something now other than seeing Dali's constant struggle and being rejected. So it's now become clear that Congressman Ahn is behind all those people who turned their backs on Cheongsong gallery. He even spread the rumour about their financial status. Lee Jae Woo is in on this as well and both of them are still searching for that envelope Dali's father found behind the canvas.

I seriously want to whack Moo Hak's father for being so gullible. And gosh, yes, I really dislike Moo Hak's half brother (or is it step brother?). Based on his conversation with their father it seems like he has some dirt on Congressman Ahn. Most likely Lee Jae Woo mentioned Congressman Ahn and Ki Cheol filmed it as evidence.

I really like Dali and Hwang Hee's dynamics. I hope he doesn't get meddle in the triangle love but remain as a brother-like family member to Dali and become friends with Moo Hak because I don't know if this guy even has friends! I felt sorry for Hwang Hee. He was right to be upset (trice now!) since he sees them as family or people dear to him but they behaved as if he's an outsider and did not wish to ask him for assistance. Nonetheless, I'm glad he took Dali home, hehehehe. Now we just need Moo Hak to find out (近水樓臺先得月*, right @ktcjdrama?) xDDD

*A chinese idiom that means someone being in a favourable position to benefit from something. Hope I explain it right.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
33 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Now we just need Moo Hak to find out (近水樓臺先得月*, right @ktcjdrama?) xDDD

*A chinese idion that means someone being in a favourable position to benefit from something. Hope I explain it right.

Yes yes... when you’re close to something/someone, you’re in a more favorable position to get benefit from that something/someone. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

9 hours ago, Tofu said:

@abs-oluteM

By the way, I was glad to see was MH calling out the media and people for focusing on what DL wore at the press conference when she was just robbed and victimized. :pandachamp:

I like this too! 

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

I laughed so much at this, and cringe later watching Moo Hak destroyed the "objets". I learnt a new word by the way LOL just don't know how long the mind will keep this word in the memory cells.

Same. Objets is a new word for me. I thought it was typo of "objects" 😂

Objet d'art literally means "art object" in French, but in practice, the term has long been reserved in English to describe works of art that are not paintings, large or medium-sized sculptures, prints, or drawings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objet_d'art

• Insightful 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, ssteph said:

Same. Objets is a new word for me. I thought it was typo of "objects" 😂

Me too...

Poor Mu Hak. He meant well cleaning up the "trash". He basically just called a spade a spade. These week's episodes have been great. It started off with Dali hitting rock bottom but it ended up with her standing up for herself. Now I cannot wait for all the love lines to explode. :smile:

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Finally got to watch the rest of ep 6 with subs. 

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

Poor Mu Hak. He meant well cleaning up the "trash". He basically just called a spade a spade.

So true! The fact that someone could mistake it for garbage was telling... LOL

Moo Hak's half-brother is soooo annoying and so is the mom! I really hope the dad wisens up and realizes he is being played. It's funny how Moo Hak is basically the smart one in the family who is actually the reason for their success. I chuckled when the dad said "moving that kind of money with Moo Hak finding out...."  again just shows that Moo Hak is the brains behind the business and is very knowledgeable.

I really hope Won Tak remains as just Dali's oppa and doesn't become romantically involved. Would love to see Moo Hak and Won Tak develop a friendship. I think the combination of the two of them backing Dali would be awesome.

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

Although Episode 5 was a bit wobbly, I like this show a lot. It does more things right than wrong to my mind and what it does really right is the lead's dynamic. To me this is how you do an "opposites attract" storyline convincingly even when the opposites seems to be poles apart. While ordinarily they don't move in the same circles, some unexpected events have inadvertently thrown them together. Money of course is the primary factor and driver of why there's ongoing interaction. Sure, Moo-hak is crushing badly on her so he has other motives but they are still bound by the fact that they do have a creditor-borrower relationship. If he had been left to his own devices without undue pressure from his loud-mouth Scrooge of a father, this need to pretend that he's hovering around only because of money would have even been an issue. In all honesty, his father doesn't seem all that bright judging by his choice of a second wife and the baggage that she's brought into that marriage. Dad's bark is far worse than his bite and looking at how he interacts with his wife and stepson I can't help feeling that it's mostly hot air as well.

I'm not a fan of how K dramas do their pile on of female leads to make them look pathetic so I wasn't too happy about what transpired in Episode 5. That said, Da-li was able to turn things around with flair in Episode 6 and as I'd hoped she did take help from her ex. She had to. The important thing is that she did it on her own terms, her way. At least she did live up to her reputation of being intelligent. The whole thing about her getting robbed on hindsight did at least lead to further revelations about her cousin's scheming and collaboration with the assemblyman. At least it's confirmed who the candidates implicated in her father's death might be. For me at least the writing justifies the decisions that it makes. 

The difference for me between this show and HomeCha is that I really like both leads and their dynamic in this. It's true that they are an unlikely pairing but the show does a good job of showing why they might be attracted to each other despite the disparities in backgrounds. This is best part of the show to me. At least I feel that the show is conscientiously making a case for them as different scenarios play out. Despite tending towards being uncouth and bordering boorish (although Kim Min-jae himself has a certain elegance which obviously shines through), I really like Moo-hak's authenticity as a penny-pinching nouveau riche chaebol offspring. He is always himself. Although he doesn't want to look like he's an uncultured swine in front of the arty types, he will speak up like the boy in the Emperor's New Clothes if things don't make sense. There's a charm to that even for someone like me who loves modern art and art galleries in general. Like Da-li, I too find him amusing even when he pulls his over-the-top gangster shtick. Even if he's not educated in the arts, he's still a shrewd and observant fellow of reality. What he lacks in gentility, he makes up for it in brash kindness. Of course it helps that he likes her.

What the leads bring to the table is a matter of balance. It's obvious and it's consistent. Right from when they met in The Netherlands in a case of mistaken identity until now. Moo-hak knows too that Da-li has something he lacks in his own life. She needs someone she can rely on when the chips are down. This is the kind of writing I appreciate. And the dialogue especially between them... sings.

Tae-jin, the ex is an interesting beast. It continues to be a mystery why he dumped her so unceremoniously five years ago. My suspicion is that he was given some kind of ultimatum by the powers-that-were at Seji and he believed strategically that if he gave in then in the long run he could get both the girl and the power he lacked then. I don't think he's a villain but he made a calculation that he will live to rue. Perhaps it could be said that they aren't destined to be together anyway. 

It's not hard to see where much of this is headed but at least I think the show does a decent job with the storytelling.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 4

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I really liked today's episode. I think most of the episodes so far has focused on DL and this episode, the ending allowed us to see a little bit of MH's childhood. 

The second male lead was just as annoying in this episode. I feel like he's expecting something from DL after all the things he's done. I love that MH was not intimidated by him. :pandacop:

The kiss at the end was cute. :wow:

DL-02.gif

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3
4 hours ago, Tofu said:

I really liked today's episode. I think most of the episodes so far has focused on DL and this episode, the ending allowed us to see a little bit of MH's childhood. 

I really like last night's episode too!! They're growing closer and people around them all sensed that they're an item. 

MH is already displaying jealous boyfriend syndromes whenever he sees men being around Dali. He is such a goner, and so I was surprised that Dali is the one who initiated the kiss. I'd like to think that he is being a gentleman, not wanting to cross the line unless it's a clear and defined relationship. I love that he opened up to Dali about himself. I'm guessing she is the only person he showed this side of him. I also love that both of them think highly of the other as a great person. 

How cute is this USB! Me want one too... They can totally do a series of Chinese zodiac of these and I would buy as gifts for myself and others... Wonder what's inside the USB...

X5eIWal.png

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

I loved Episode 7.

I loved it so much that I rewatched parts of it several times. What can I say... the progression between the leads felt organic and it's not hard to buy into their romance when they demonstrate themselves capable of communicating with each other on a deeper level and no fear of being vulnerable. They're both likeable people with a good balance of strengths and weaknesses. I like how Da-li is able to see through Moo-hak's bluster and bravado to say conclude that he's at his core a thoughtful fellow. She gets him and she's perceptive despite seeming like a pushover to some.

The flashbacks to Moo-hak's childhood scenes with his late mother were instructive. Not only did we get a sense of where he's come from emotionally but it helps us understand why he's so insistent about Da-li not missing her meals...  and also perhaps why he's become a really good cook. His dynamic with his mother and her absence for much of his life created the trajectory he's been on ever since.

If there's one thing that Dad did right in raising Da-li is that he taught her to look beyond the surface with regards to people especially in the case of Won-tak. Dad was no snob in that regard. Though he was old money, he really did practice philanthropy sincerely to the point where he got his hands dirty. He put his money where his mouth is. He was a good man (even if he could have done better with the financing of the gallery) and Da-li isn't a spoilt princess especially when contrasted with the much more aggressive Chak-hee. Da-li's dynamic with Won-tak it seems to me provides the foundations of why she finds Moo-hak attractive. The two men are birds of a feather.

It occurred to me that even in this brief time they've shared together that it might be that Moo-hak might have a better grasp of Da-li's personality than Tae-jin. Or maybe it's just guilt and jealousy talking. No doubt he's feeling competitive and territorial. There are a couple of things I like about this love triangle. One is that Tae-jin is someone even though he really has no chance with her anymore who can help Da-li with getting the gallery back in the black. I don't discount his part in her life especially at this point in time when she needs to rebuild the gallery and make it an ongoing concern especially when there are people eyeing the land. The confrontation between the romance rivals was indicative again of how shrewd Moo-hak is. The gallery business is not really his scene but he's not stupid. He knows he's being denigrated and the come back was beautiful. And the metaphor is perfectly suited to Moo-hak's personality. The best part of the exchange showed too how respectful he's become of Da-li's independence.

Some have commented on how the curators often take a dig at Moo-hak. It is a form of snobbery and it can get old fast particularly because they're subject to the whims of clients and patrons. Da-li is pretty special in that regard. Despite her wealthy upbringing she doesn't put on airs. 

Can't wait for the next episode. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

t occurred to me that even in this brief time they've shared together that it might be that Moo-hak might have a better grasp of Da-li's personality than Tae-jin. Or maybe it's just guilt and jealousy talking. No doubt he's feeling competitive and territorial. There are a couple of things I like about this love triangle. One is that Tae-jin is someone even though he really has no chance with her anymore who can help Da-li with getting the gallery back in the black. I don't discount his part in her life especially at this point in time when she needs to rebuild the gallery and make it an ongoing concern especially when there are people eyeing the land. The confrontation between the romance rivals was indicative again of how shrewd Moo-hak is. The gallery business is not really his scene but he's not stupid. He knows he's being denigrated and the come back was beautiful. And the metaphor is perfectly suited to Moo-hak's personality. The best part of the exchange showed too how respectful he's become of Da-li's independence.

Loved what you said here . Eps 7 was awesome. I have been waiting for a long time for the confrontation between MuHak and Tae Jin. Though Mu Hak is new money compared to TJ and may not have a silver spoon upbringing, I love how he isn't intimidated at all. MH helped his father build up their Gamjatang  empire so his confidence comes from making it on his own. And usually I am not attracted to loud MLs but I find myself drawn to MuHak. I love that he's practical , industrious and determined. More importantly he sees Dali's value and what she is capable of. Tae Jin treats her like a possession . I understand he wants to protect and help her , but it is very much on his own terms. I don't understand how he can toss a 5-year relationship so coldly out the window , and then expect her to take him back.

-------------------

Oh my ...Mu Hak has to fend off ex and over protective "brother"

She managed to evade him many times from finding out that she lived upstairs . LOL

Spoiler

But oh wow he finds out Dali is staying at Won Tak in a most unexpected way

Next week's eps looks fun. Gotta wait. But she goes to his place...and wahh the love triangle ( or maybe quadrangle) intensifies

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

멋있다 meositta, meositta... MH so cool when he told Dali that he makes no mistake with whatever is done with his mouth. What he eats, what he says and what he does with his mouth. The way he told her that she needs to think again carefully whether the kiss was a mistake for her :wow: I can totally understand Dali feeling flustered because of that.

Oh man, I actually feel sad watching the flashback of what happened to Dali and Tae Jin. Anyway, it's history between them. No SLS here.

:laugh: MH's stepmom propped one leg up the chair at the dining table. Supposedly fine dining atmosphere... MH's dad is adorable in his almost discreet way of supporting his son's love life :smile:

I love that MH doesn't hold back in lecturing Dali about spending justified money to have visitors to the museum. I actually cannot really relate with her idealistic thinking of having people appreciate art without any probing. Most people do need some push/incentive to start doing something they've never done before. So I agree with MH's way of promoting the museum.

I'm going to guess the person who ransacked the rooftop apartment is someone from SeGi. The only people who knows where Dali is staying at now is Tae Jin and his driver. I think Tae Jin is sincere in his effort to get back with Dali. There are people in his company helping the main villain - whom we don't know the actual identity yet.

Sadly, Dali is going to misunderstand MH having some ulterior motive in helping the museum based on the preview for next week.

Moo Hak's name in the Chinese subs is 无学, which literally means "no education"... I laughed because no parents will give their kids such name. Although that serves like a pun to his character's seemingly uneducated manners. I laughed so much at the meeting about those English words (kiss, keith, keats) mistaken as "kiss" by MH :laugh: Anyway, I think I've seen a different version of his name translated in Chinese 武学 first character means martial arts. 

Another funny one also, the name of his company Dun-Dun, I believe it's the same sound/pronunciation as the word for money (don)

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

I just love Moo Hak's reaction to "Uri Won Tak" :laugh: and I don't know why but I also really love it when Moo Hak's school Dali again. He's throwing in more money than he's getting returned at the moment just to help Dali and she needs to understand that. I suppose, in a way, I can see why the promotional tactic is considered misleading because if we were to apply this same scenario on a company paying the big name magazines e.g. Marie Claire to promote a new cosmetic product with good testimonials, it gives the readers the misconception that this cosmetic is really good since it's endorsed by magazines when in fact there is insufficient data to support it does what it claims. In this instance, as a consumer who spent big bucks would feel cheated.

Moo Hak's dad might be thick and loud but hey, I do like that he supports his son's love choice. Hahaha.

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I'm going to guess the person who ransacked the rooftop apartment is someone from SeGi.

Oooh. I was actually thinking maybe it's Dali's cousin. :pandathink: He could have followed her home before acting on it.

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Sadly, Dali is going to misunderstand MH having some ulterior motive in helping the museum based on the preview for next week.

Yeah sadly Jang Tae Jin is going to use this to his advantage. I also wonder with Segi group behind him, will he be able to uproot Don Don F&B franchise?

I find Jang Tae Jin annoying as a character. Whatever reason he had 5 years ago, he chose that over Dali (from the hint, I had a feeling it was because he either had to choose between Segi or Dali and he did not want to lose the $$). Plus, it mentioned he is a divorcee. He hurt Dali so bad and he took her to the apartment they were meant to live after their marriage. That was just inconsiderate. More importantly, he's not even apologetic towards Dali. I can't with man with so much ego.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2
7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I love that MH doesn't hold back in lecturing Dali about spending justified money to have visitors to the museum. I actually cannot really relate with her idealistic thinking of having people appreciate art without any probing. Most people do need some push/incentive to start doing something they've never done before. So I agree with MH's way of promoting the museum.

Me too...I mean these days it is so normal to sponsor & hire influencers to come ...it is not that they have to write good stuff. You're just paying for their presence & to create some buzz. There's still a part of Dali that is very idealistic. Think she has never  strived hard for what she owns, she doesn't realise that making money is hard.  And right now the gallery is facing a cash crunch as it is, not enough time for word of mouth to slowly build. I think I get his logic more than hers. LOL

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I find Jang Tae Jin annoying as a character. Whatever reason he had 5 years ago, he chose that over Dali (from the hint, I had a feeling it was because he either had to choose between Segi or Dali and he did not want to lose the $$). Plus, it mentioned he is a divorcee. He hurt Dali so bad and he took her to the apartment they were meant to live after their marriage. That was just inconsiderate. More importantly, he's not even apologetic towards Dali. I can't with man with so much ego.

Same here. Was he trying to move her with "I didn't change the passcode " speech? Pffttt! He's full of himself and he has no regards for her feelings at all. Yes, he has not apologised nor explained to her why he did what he did. Leaving her in the rain was just cruel &  is close to unforgiveable to me. 

Edit : Forgot to mention...from eps 8 , think it is quite clear that Won Tak and Dali have a sibling like relationship . He is protective of her but not in a romantic way. More like as an older brother. Do you all sense that too?

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2