Bulgasal: Immortal Souls 불가살 [2021 - 2022]

On 12/22/2021 at 12:36 AM, mademoiselle said:

It's not as bad as *cough* Sisyphus *cough*

Every time this drama name comes up, I'm always grateful I didn't watch it. Haha! 

I'll watch this week's episodes before I decide if I'll continue or not. I hope Lee Joon shows up, his character sounds so intriguing. 

@40somethingahjumma LJW looked great in his sageuk costume. I wished they cut his hair a bit in the modern world though. Haha!! 

• Haha 4

The fate of every characters just got complicated from episode 3 with the way their fate intertwined in this present life. As suspected, Hwal's wife Dan Sol reincarnated to be Sang Un's younger sister Min Si Ho so Hwal can't just kill Sang Un since it'll hurt Si Ho. Hwal's adopted father became the Detective and now Private Investigator. It seems like he himself when young were being chased by a Bulgasal.

There was an encounter of a yellow-haired boy with Hwal. This would have to be Hwal's reincarnated son, A-Chan. His present name is Nam Do Yoon (good luck to me remembering his name... sigh).

Strange thing happened when Sang Un touched Hwal's cut face. He saw some images of (maybe) human Sang Un's from Goryeo past. Could they perhaps be lovers?

@Tofu I just read that this drama cost 40 billion. Then I hope it'll be good to the end.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 2
14 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I just read that this drama cost 40 billion. Then I hope it'll be good to the end.

OMG! That's insane, no wonder everything looks ethereal at times. They even filmed some in a studio because I remember seeing BTS clips with blue screens in the back. 

I didn't have time to watch episode 3 yesterday so I'm watching both episodes today. 

I hope that by the middle of this drama, LJW will have shorter hair...please! :pandasadspoon:

• Like 3

Hmm...I'm halfway through episode 3 and I don't know. I hope there's no romance between Hwal and Sang Un. Unless Dan Sol did something terrible when they were together, I would like Hwal to be with his "family". 

Hwal's preferred method to attack someone must be to break their wrist. :laugh:

Wow -- ok, I just finished episode 3. What is this twisted fate? :shocked2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All the introductions to the characters are done now including their reincarnations too. So many ill fated relationships, where do we even start? :BulbaConfused:

Based on what Eul Tae said to Sang Un, there's a connection between them when Sang E was a bulgasal. Whatever it is, their ties led Eul Tae to develop a black hole in his chest. 

With what Sang Yeon said, does Hwal have the sword to kill Eul Tae or did she mean that Hwal is the sword? If Hwal is the sword, is that why he's continuously linked to the bulgasal -- is his purpose in life to kill the bulgasal then?

Also, quite amazed at the entrance for Lee Joon. :cool:

Bulgasal-03.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Tofu You even have time to gif Lee Joon :laugh:

===

I thought some scenes changing in episode 3 was bad and episode 4 is worse. The editing was sooo choppy. It's disappointing to see bad editing for a 40 billion investment. When Si Ho was home alone, the scene just began with the monster already wanting to break the door down. And it was so abrupt that the scene changes to a tunnel in the middle of nowhere after Hwal run Eul Tae over. Furthermore, the sun set way too quickly all of a sudden isn't it? Or it's a depiction of a phenomenonal sunset because it signifies the meeting of two Bulgalsal and the Soul?

The story is still as confusing as ever even with some clues revealed! But yes, @Tofu, seems like Hwal is the sword to kill Eul Tae. However why this didn't happen 600 years ago? Is it because female Bulgasal is too weak to kill male Bulgasal or they were supposed to be mates until the Soul took over female Bulgalsal's body? 

From the get-go, it seems to always tie to the "Soul". It is that one soul which has wronged/cursed* Eul Tae so he's hunting that Soul down. *This Soul gave Eul Tae the black hole. The "Soul" neither belongs to Hwal nor Sang Un. They are both just the body that happened to carry this Soul and be reincarnated in it.

Anyway, it seems to me Hwal will take Sang Un to his place. His reincarnated son will follow. Everyone will eventually gather at his house and he will become their temporary adopted father/protector :lmao2: Need to rewatch the long trailer but I think this is what I saw... the 3 kiddies were under one roof with the reincarnated Shaman at the kitchen. It's a good scene to see as Hwal's house needs to be cleaned and liven up—he's been a loner and they'll become his family. There won't be a loveline for Si Ho with Hwal coz she's already pregnant but in a way she will now be reunited with her son and daughter.

P.S. Lee Joon always play villain!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

The editing was sooo choppy.

Completely agreed! I think the editing sometimes takes me out of the drama because I have to rewind to make sure I didn't miss anything. For a project of this scale, I wished they paid more attention to the editing. Even some parts were unrealistic -- Hwal was badly beaten by Eul Tae but when he came out of the tunnel, it looked like he barely had any scratches on him, his clothes was not even dirty from the scuffle. :idk:

However why this didn't happen 600 years ago? Is it because female Bulgasal is too weak to kill male Bulgasal or they were supposed to be mates until the Soul took over female Bulgalsal's body?

Maybe the female Bulgasal is similar to Hwal in the sense that neither of them feed off human blood. They are not as strong and take longer to heal than Eul Tae, who does feed off human blood. And I think you're right in that both Hwal and Sang Un might just be a host to the soul.

I'm more curious at the backstory between Eul Tae and Sang Un. I think Eul Tae says in the preview something about 1000 years and Hwal has only been alive for 600 years. We're missing 400 years worth of information. 

By the way, if the monster referred to Eul Tae as the "Dark Hole" does that still make him a Bulgasal? Or is this another creature we haven't been made aware of? Why is this drama so complicated?! :BulbaConfused:

P.S. Lee Joon always play villain!

He does play a lot of these characters, but he's so good at it. Haha!

Bulgasal-04.gif

Honestly, I think Lee Joon's appearance made this drama a bit more enjoyable to me. I was starting to lose interest. :psweatduck:

• Haha 3

@Tofu Oh yes yes. I noticed the unscathed clothing after Hwal pulled the sword out of himself the SECOND time. I'd expect tons of blood loss and his shirt should be stained full of his own blood.

True that female Bulgasal may not be feeding on human blood however wasn't she who bites Dan Sol and A-Chan though? Although we didn't quite see her doing it. We just saw a female look-alike Bulgasal attacking the campsite, huh? Lee Joon could have long hair and wearing long clothings too for that time period.

... which means Hwal will have to feed on blood before fighting Eul Tae. I wonder if he can bite and suck blood without killing that person because worst case scenario is he'll have to drink one of the characters' blood in the end to have the final showdown with Eul Tae. I suppose he could also drink the monsters reincarnated as humans' blood. You know what bugs me? These monsters keep getting reincarnated and if it is in their nature/soul to kill all the time, they will never learn to be good. When will this cycle end? Although I'm inclined to think the reason of them reincarnated means it as a way of life and explanation of why there are always crimes in this world because it was done by monsters.

Did you FF when you watch this? Hahaha. Yes, Eul Tae is also a Bulgalsal. It was clear that the Halmoni who took in Sang Un and Si Ho said, "Use another Bulgalsal to kill the other Bulgasal" = "Use Hwal to kill Eul Tae". The Dark Hole just means the black hole in Eul Tae's chest, which he said it was caused by The Soul.

7eaae9a7894b143918280116fb34dcf08b8b5d1e

LOLLLL why? You like it because it's sexy? I don't though :laugh: It's kind of disturbing and the green coat is distracting.

P.S. How come only you and I are watching? I thought there are more Lee Jin Wook's fans here? xD

• Haha 2

@mademoiselle Hwal is always getting stabbed in the same same spot multiple times and I know he does not heal that fast so I expected to see more blood and cuts on him. Now that everyone is reincarnated, it's like they have nine lives or something. How did Do Yoon and Ho Yeol survive that car accident?!

I don't think it was ever confirmed that Sang Un was the one that attacked the campsite. Although, what's strange about this whole thing is that Sang Un protected Hwal when he was younger but killed him later on. Why protect someone just to kill them later on? 

8 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

You know what bugs me? These monsters keep getting reincarnated and if it is in their nature/soul to kill all the time, they will never learn to be good. When will this cycle end?

I just finished re-watching Mystic Pop-Up Bar and based on their logic, these monsters are supposed to be reincarnated as insects in there next life. Umm....what happened here, Bulgasal? But really, it's interesting to me because I think the drama is sending the message that those who harm others are born that way.

11 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Did you FF when you watch this? Hahaha. Yes, Eul Tae is also a Bulgalsal. It was clear that the Halmoni who took in Sang Un and Si Ho said, "Use another Bulgalsal to kill the other Bulgasal" = "Use Hwal to kill Eul Tae". The Dark Hole just means the black hole in Eul Tae's chest, which he said it was caused by The Soul.

HAHAHAHA! I might have skipped that part. 

12 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

LOLLLL why? You like it because it's sexy? I don't though  It's kind of disturbing and the green coat is distracting.

No, not at all! I was so disturbed by it because doesn't he look like a snake with the green and licking his hands like that? :pandadisgusted:

14 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

P.S. How come only you and I are watching? I thought there are more Lee Jin Wook's fans here? xD

Are there other Lee Jin Wook fans here? Is @abs-oluteM one? I don't know who else likes him. But agreed, this is such a big production drama that's apparently receiving lots of hype in Korea but we're the only two watching with 40somethingahjumma joining when she has time. 

• Like 2

@Tofu From memory, I know Sushi and 40somethingahjumma like Lee Jin Wook. Are you still watching The Red Sleeve? That thread moves too quick so I haven't been in there until two days ago to spazz a little.

16 minutes ago, Tofu said:

How did Do Yoon and Ho Yeol survive that car accident?!

Simple. They both wore seat belts! :lmao2:

16 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Why protect someone just to kill them later on?

Exactly! This was the part I didn't quite understand. Hopefully it'll be explained.

17 minutes ago, Tofu said:

HAHAHAHA! I might have skipped that part.

Bahahahaha, you did FF! Don't skip coz the editing already skipped too much :lmao2:

17 minutes ago, Tofu said:

No, not at all! I was so disturbed by it because doesn't he look like a snake with the green and licking his hands like that?

LOL, he is evil!

• Haha 2
21 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Are you still watching The Red Sleeve? That thread moves too quick so I haven't been in there until two days ago to spazz a little.

Yes, I am but I haven't post in the thread in a while because it just move way too quickly for me. :laugh:

21 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Bahahahaha, you did FF! Don't skip coz the editing already skipped too much

HAHAHAHAHA! You're right, the drama will skip for us with it's choppy editing. :lmao2:

Ok, I watched the long trailer again. From that photo, Bulgasal and the Soul are connected to each other. Why is one of them turned away from the others -- is it supposed to represent some sort of separation between the two? It seems like Eul Tae doesn't care too much for Hwal. Eul Tae's enemy lies within Sang Un -- but what does killing her mean when she's not even a Bulgasal anymore?

9 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

It seems that whenever Eul Tae appear before his victims, they will bleed.

Hmm...that explains why Sang Un started bleeding from her ear when he was behind her. In which, don't you think it was strange that she was given that much time to run away but he still caught up with her rather quickly? :pandathink::laugh:

• Like 1

@Tofu I'm wondering if the "sound" he makes also makes his prey strengthless. Like it's a specialty that Bulgasal have when they prey...? If not, it's only because it's a drama. Actually likewise, she has some sort of special power which gave him pain through that dark hole the soul made.

I can't get around the messy information at the moment but it seems like it is the Soul's last time to do something about Bulgasal. And in the trailer, it hinted when the Soul recovers her memory then all will die... of course we can only ask why?

21 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Ok, I watched the long trailer again. From that photo, Bulgasal and the Soul are connected to each other. Why is one of them turned away from the others -- is it supposed to represent some sort of separation between the two? It seems like Eul Tae doesn't care too much for Hwal. Eul Tae's enemy lies within Sang Un -- but what does killing her mean when she's not even a Bulgasal anymore?

Bulgasal is not Eul Tae's enemy. He's always been chasing the Soul. Either the painting talks about a Bulgasal and the Soul or when they were still human/Deity and something happened so one became the Bulgasal and the other The Soul.

• Insightful 1
1 minute ago, mademoiselle said:

Bulgasal is not Eul Tae's enemy. He's always been chasing the Soul. Either the painting talks about a Bulgasal and the Soul or when they were still human/Deity and something happened so one became the Bulgasal and the other The Soul.

Ahh, yes! You're right. Eul Tae is after the soul and not necessary the Bulgasal. The whole soul thing is a bit complicated and the editing doesn't really help in sorting it out. In the beginning, after Hwal is born, the shaman said that he was born without a soul. How did Hwal develop a soul if he was not born with one? Then when Eul Tae was choking Sang Un, he said he doesn't care if he can't crush her soul, he'll crush it when she's reincarnated again. BUT right before that scene, he was telling Hwal that she can't be reincarnated. 

17 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm wondering if the "sound" he makes also makes his prey strengthless. Like it's a specialty that Bulgasal have when they prey...?

I think it's likely, but human blood seems to be the key fuel/energy for a Bulgasal. I wonder if each Bulgasal have their own special abilities -- that would actually be interesting to see. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Ahh, yes! You're right. Eul Tae is after the soul and not necessary the Bulgasal. The whole soul thing is a bit complicated and the editing doesn't really help in sorting it out. In the beginning, after Hwal is born, the shaman said that he was born without a soul. How did Hwal develop a soul if he was not born with one? Then when Eul Tae was choking Sang Un, he said he doesn't care if he can't crush her soul, he'll crush it when she's reincarnated again. BUT right before that scene, he was telling Hwal that she can't be reincarnated.

Yeah this is the part I was confused and hence omitted to mention because I couldn't remember accurately who said what.

I don't think the shaman didn't say he was born without a soul coz it was already predicted in his mom's womb that Hwal was cursed by Bulgasal because he carried the cursed soul. I wish they'd tell us "how" the shaman even know before birth.

Eul Tae was going to kill Sang Un but then his dark hole gave him pain (maybe her blood did it to him) so he decided he'll kill her and let her reincarnate again and deal with the Soul in next life. Maybe when he told Hwal she can't be reincarnated again is because he, at the time, wants to destroy the Soul once and for all this lifetime.

• Insightful 1