Bulgasal: Immortal Souls 불가살 [2021 - 2022]

7 hours ago, Tofu said:

@mademoiselle Watch both of us be wrong about every theory and thought we had!

I saw another theory...

More than 600 years ago female Bulgasal and Soul made a deal that female Bulgasal will kill Hwal and made him Bulgasal so he can kill Eul Tae. But unfortunately when Soul was reborn, he forgot this deal (forgot his past lives). So Hwal became who he is now, thinking female Bulgasal is his enemy...

:lmao2:

• Haha 2

@mademoiselle I can't keep up with the theories anymore, but I do think the direction of the sun/light plays a role -- though, not sure what kind of role it plays. They pan to the light changing and then Eul Tae weaken or I think something happened to his dark hole as a result of the change. The painting has two suns and you know what they say, you can't have two suns in the sky. :laugh:

• Haha 2

@mademoiselle Hahaha! I don't even know how to describe that suit he's wearing. The scarf might be a bit too much, but I live a poor person life so what do I know about the wealthy? :laugh:

Nara is always getting choked. I would develop some sort of trauma to people touching my neck if I went through that many choking scenes! :psweatduck:

@Tofu I paid 101% attention to the scenes between Lee Joon and Lee Jin Wook so I could get more information! xDDD But honestly there isn't much revealed. The painting is definitely the key to more information. There were a lot of characters in there: Bulgasal, monsters, animals (tiger) and humans... there had to be some sort of story before. Eeek, so intrigued!

I love how the Ahjumma said to Hwal how can he not know there was another Bulgasal. :laugh: So true. He's so bloody clueless and simple-minded wasting away 600 years of his life on learning absolutely nothing and only chase after ex-female Bulgasal + Soul. Anyway, so we now know the reason why Sang Yeon said "it's the last time". According to Eul Tae, the Soul can be destroyed 8th time and after this it can no longer reincarnate. It therefore is smart of the Soul to reincarnate into twins, which is also why Sang Woon is said to have the soul and Sang Yeon the past memory.

Eul Tae also mentioned something important - that Hwal isn't born a natural Bulgasal hence he's got the heart/mind of humans. They used a chinese word which didn't get translated into English, and the Chinese subtitles didn't bother translating the explanation given in Korean either. Tsk.

The old detective, I think I figure out why he lost his job. Since Eul Tae is so powerful now he controls the police/politicians (per his character description) so it must be him who tried to cover up and prevent the investigation of Sang Woon's family murder from going forward. The curious bit is of course why he killed old detective's sister when they were young. Was it because Eul Tae was hungry or there was a larger meaning behind the murder...?

Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to the little kiddos gathering in Hwal's rundown house and make it into something more livable. I'm beginning to like Hwal for his tortured, lonely character who just wanted to be loved and feel the warmth of family from these kids and ahjumma—it was what he had been yearning for since birth.

• Clapping Hands 2

@mademoiselle Hwal really did not figure anything out on his own those 600 years. He's so obsess with finding her that he didn't care for anything else. Did he just stay home drinking animal blood waiting for her? :PikachuFacePalm:

I watched the meal scene twice because I didn't want to miss anything. Nothing was really exchanged though. Eul Tae confirmed the things we talked about before. I was hoping he shared why Hwal was cursed, but the conversation didn't go that far. Maybe Hwal is the reincarnation of whoever it was that killed all the Monsters? I don't know. Haha! 

I might have laughed a few times when I watched the meal scene. It was hilarious that they had light shining on their table but the lights were off for all the other tables. :lmao2:

@abs-oluteM Just thought I would let you know that Jin Wook was topless in episode 5 and there's a preview for a topless Joon tomorrow in episode 6 too. Time to watch with us, right? :smug:

• Haha 2

*grumble* I started watching this because @Tofumentioned Lee Joon was in it, but the first episode is a slow slog. Plus, I hate that all those people are so ready to kill children because of supposed curses. What kind of world was it in those Joseon days that young children are so easily sacrificed, even if the mythology in the drama world is true. Only a general who deals in blood and war shows compassion. Well, and some mysterious figures who literally take the knife instead of the child.

Please someone tell me that it gets better.

• Haha 3

@mademoiselle I finished episode 6 but I think I need to go back to re-watched because I kept getting work calls throughout. I don't remember what I watched. I just know Lee Joon as a the serpent licking his hand came out in today's episode. :lettalKWA:

@stroppyse Hahaha! I think I started enjoying the drama more when Lee Joon appeared (at the end of episode 3). The building of this fantasy world was not the greatest and I wished it was done differently. There are a lot of conflicting and unanswered questions, but I reckon it'll all be answered throughout the drama. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Tofu said:

The building of this fantasy world was not the greatest and I wished it was done differently. There are a lot of conflicting and unanswered questions, but I reckon it'll all be answered throughout the drama. 

I think that's one of the problems that I'm having with this drama. So far, they've shown the stereotype of scared humans doing the unthinkable in attempts to save themselves from the monsters. That just makes me sad as well as tired of watching them.

I've managed to finish watching episode 1 without many takeaways, including what the Bulgalsol are and why Hwal is cursed. I did think it was unintentionally funny when Kwon Nara's character stabs Hwal, and a worm of blood flows back up the sword into Kwon Nara and turns her back into human(?). Even funnier in the start of the 2nd episode when Hwal stabs her back, so they are just sitting on the ground with swords sticking out of their bodies and having a random conversation about how Hwal has continued and expanded the curse. I think this is supposed to be tragic, but I couldn't help giggling as they talked in cryptic sentences with swords sticking through their torsos. sigh

I think I'll skip to episode 3 and see if it gets any better once Lee Joon's character shows up. So far, despite having watched the first episode, I have very little idea of what is going on, so not really inclined to keep watching with reassurances that someone starts saying something that makes sense somewhere.

• Haha 2

@Tofu I don't think there was anything too important revealed in episode 6 until the end between Hwal and Sang Woon. The drama once again raised the question on whether Sang Woon is the Bulgasal Hwal was seeking to kill since Sang Woon. From the get-go, it seems like the reason of reincarnating with the scar on the body is because female Bulgasal cursed it on herself. Which likely means Hwal's past life must have got the scar and cursed it on himself to make a mark... 

Lee Joon is like a psycho villain in this episode. I've seen psycho villain acting before and didn't feel I'd fear the character however Lee Joon's portrayal is really good and compelling.

@stroppyse We had very little idea as well on the plot when we watched episode 1-2. So many questions but no answers. Not that we got a lot of answers yet but it definitely is a bit better once the story changed to present time. Episode 4's editing is choppy so you'll have to turn a blind eye on it if you intend to continue.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Lee Joon is like a psycho villain in this episode. I've seen psycho villain acting before and didn't feel I'd fear the character however Lee Joon's portrayal is really good and compelling.

He does play psychos well. He was really chilling in Gapdong.

Thanks for the notes on the drama. I may wait until more episodes have aired so that I can binge them. At the moment, with a weekly wait, it's more likely that I'll lose interest since I find the material to be confusing and not that engaging.

• Like 2