Bulgasal: Immortal Souls 불가살 [2021 - 2022]

Wow! Quite a few interesting things were revealed in episode seven. 

Do Yoon is working for Eul Tae, he was sent there to spy on Hwal. It doesn't seem like he has ill intentions though. He doesn't seem to know what Eul Tae is capable of, at least that's the vibe I got when I watched their scene together. Despite their bickering, it's nice to see him stand up for Si Ho and get upset when he found out Eul Tae was behind her kidnapping. My understanding is that Eul Tae is a sponsor of the orphanage Do Yoon lived in? Is that wrong, did I skip too much and miss it again? :psweatduck:

The revelation between Eul Tae and Sang Un was surprising but at the same time, not as surprising too. I expected them to have a connection somehow, but I didn't expect Eul Tae to feel pain whenever Sang Un is in danger. Does this only apply to when Sang Un is attacked by monster? It doesn't seem like Eul Tae felt anything when Hwal was the one who attacked Sang Un. I'm also curious if it's Sang Un that has the connection to Eul Tae or the soul within Sang Un. If it's the soul, does that mean his connection is with Hwal, the "original owner" of the soul? 

I can't praise Lee Joon enough, I think he's playing the psycho villain so well like you said, @mademoiselle

• Like 2

@Tofu The trip was futile in recovery of lost memories LOL but at least more was revealed for the viewers than the characters. I mean, neither one of them knows Eul Tae was feeling the pain Sang Woon was subjected to when being strangled. Eul Tae seems to suffer double the pain with bloody bruise on his neck while she barely had any.

It seems to hint that every single character in that painting will appear one way or the other in each life. Everyone continues to seek each other out and one dies in the other's hand but they will never fully be free from one another in the next life and so forth, history seems to repeat itself whenever these characters reincarnate, perhaps it continues until their karma(s) are paid off or they stop reincarnating*.

*Since it is hinted that The Soul could only reincarnate 8 times.

Dong Yoon being a spy was definitely a surprise. Eul Tae used Dong Yoon's brother (sick in hospital) as the deal for Dong Yoon to help him, @Tofu. I don't think Eul Tae forced him to do it from their conversation. It's more like Dong Yoon made an offer to help as repayment for his help. And like you said, Dong Yoon doesn't know the truth since Eul Tae is like the big benefactor to him. The thing I'm curious about now is how much Eul Tae likes or cares for Dong Yoon? He seems to like this boy a lot but his hand was shaking when Dong Yoon asked him not to hurt Shi Ho—is that a sign of him controlling himself not to hurt Dong Yoon? However, he also displayed loneliness and wanted Dong Yoon's attention too.

5 hours ago, Tofu said:

If it's the soul, does that mean his connection is with Hwal, the "original owner" of the soul? 

Eul Tae's connection is with The Soul. Both Hwal and Sang Woon are just a shell in each reincarnation carrying The Soul. Hwal thinks the soul belongs to him because he was born with that soul (and carries the memory of his human life) so he thinks he's the owner.

• Insightful 2

@mademoiselle Today revealed quite a bit so tomorrow's episode will have nothing again, right? Hahaha!

I think they will continue to meet all the monsters in the painting too. It's a bit of an endless cycle -- they died, get reincarnated, get killed again. I am curious as to what's in the lady bulgasal's memories that will bring an end to them all. How many episodes is this drama again? Hahaha! 

Who is Eul Tae's assistant? Did they explain who or what she is? 

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

16 episodes xD

That makes us only halfway, which means we will not know the lady Bulgasal's memories from before 600 years ago for another couple of weeks. Hahaha! 

She seems to know a lot about Eul Tae and what he's going through. In the preview, she stabbed Hwal and said she knows he is the original owner of the soul. Although, if Eul Tae is connected to the soul, maybe he is the original owner of it. 

Yay @UnniSara! How are you liking it so far? 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tofu said:

Yay @UnniSara! How are you liking it so far? 

HI @Tofu Will be watching chapter in a few minutes after finishing reading the comments here. 
It’s good and hope the pace picks up . I hate when drama start with prophecy because these prophecies aren’t accurate or misinterpreted.  I hope I can learn more after watching the rest of the drama

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

10 hours ago, Tofu said:

I just started episode 8 not too long ago and...what kind of clothes is Sang Un wearing? Is that supposed to be a jumpsuit? It looks like an apron was sewn onto her clothes or something. :psweatduck:

Hahahaha this was written 10 hours ago, are there no other comments on the episode? :pandahehe:

===

I think perhaps 600 years ago, the female Bulgasal stabbed Hwal by mistake, thinking he was Eul Tae because Hwal was holding a bloody A-Chan. It didn't make sense that she saved Hwal when young only to kill him afterwards. 

When Female Bulgasal took over The Soul and reincarnated, she must have absorbed the Bulgasal's memories as well otherwise The Soul which was then in Hwal's body couldn't possibly know this truth.

It can get a bit confusing sometimes because Eul Tae is playing the villain but I'm starting to question whether he is the villain. Honestly if I'm Shi Ho, I'd just grab Sang Woon's hands and read her past lives and be done with it! :PikachuFacePalm:

Also the drama technically cannot give us a happy ending because there is only one soul for either Sang Woon or Hwal. So one of them have to die! To have happy ending can only mean, all karma is resolved and they all reincarnate to be humans and meet again (but not having any memories of the past). Else one Bulgasal remained and become like Goblin, keep on being Immortal and waited for loved ones to reincarnate and reunite.

• Haha 1

HAHAHAHAHA!! I got distracted with other things and forgot to come back to comment. Not much was revealed in today's episode. I liked the added scene with Hwal's father. Hwal was able to tell him how he felt when he was abandoned -- it was the closure he needed to move on. A part of me wished Hwal took in the little boy too. I did not want to see him be left with the drunk father, but I guess Hwal's house is currently full lost people. Haha! 

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

the female Bulgasal stabbed Hwal by mistake, thinking he was Eul Tae

Or she might have stabbed Hwal thinking it would destroy the Soul. And when Lady Bulgasal was talking about the karma, she might have been talking to the Soul and not Hwal

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

It can get a bit confusing sometimes because Eul Tae is playing the villain but I'm starting to question whether he is the villain.

Hahaha, me too! That ending scene, I was like -- I don't know who the evil person is anymore! I don't know who to trust!! :nervous:

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Tofu said:

A part of me wished Hwal took in the little boy too. I did not want to see him be left with the drunk father, but I guess Hwal's house is currently full lost people. Haha! 

I was thinking of the same too! But then i thought it was for the best that he doesn't get entangled with Hwal. 

21 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Or she might have stabbed Hwal thinking it would destroy the Soul. And when Lady Bulgasal was talking about the karma, she might have been talking to the Soul and not Hwal

True but wait no, then she should have let Hwal die when young...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot has happened and I am now going to watch Episode 4. 
So far the fact almost everyone has been reincarnated all at once means something.
I am so conflicted and so want Hwal to be with his family again. We can see how much he loved his wife and I agree with you @Tofu he should be with her. He deserved be happy. He had a good life and was a good man. His stepfather felt the same . He truly loved him like a son. 
I can’t help but think that this lifetime is their last chance to make things right. Maybe all the people he loved were part of his previous lifetime and they were all given a chance to to right the wrong but neither knew what to do so they kept repeating the same hatred and death over and over again. 
This lifetime 

His adopted father was also chased by A monster

The woman in Hwal’s vision who look his soul doesn’t really know what to do because when she stabbed 600 years ago what did she expect to happen, when he didn’t die but become the Bulgasal

• Like 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Just finished episode 4 Hwal is the sword to kill Bulgasal, so does that mean she wasn’t the one who killed his family. The Butcher lady wasn’t completely right. I think Hwal is the sword but he had to become Bulgasal also to kill Dark Hole. When Sang-Un created Hwal she was the one who gave Eul-Tae the dark hole. It is the exact same spot she stabbed Hwal 600 years ago. Did you guys noticed that ?? @mademoiselle @Tofu It looked like it Sang Un who made him bleed, but it was when Hwal took out the sword he started to bleed profusely. Eul-Tae was able to choke her, so his symptoms of bleeding is from Hwal not Sang-Un . What do you guys think???

Then who could have killed Hwal’s family.  I was kinda sad that  Min Si-Ho didn’t have vision all she could tell was that he wasn’t human. 
All the people from Hwal’s lifetime ( 600 years ago) start to bleed badly once Bulgasal’s is awaken. We can see the difference in power between Hwal and Eul-Tae. Hwal is week how will he beat him when he doesn’t drink human blood. Maybe he can supply himself with human blood without killing innocent peole. 

• Insightful 2

@UnniSara OoOoOoh, I like your speculation that the stabbed wound in the chest was indirectly caused by Female Bulgasal stabbing Hwal, and that gave Eul Tae the dark hole!

As we don't know why Hwal was said to be cursed/hunted by Bulgasal 600 years ago, I'd also speculate the hole already existed for many past lives and the story is told via Hwal's time. I can't remember in which episode but it became clearer that it's a three way relationship between two Bulgasal (Eul Tae and Female Bulgasal who looks like Sang Woon) and The Soul (this is what @Tofu and I call it in our discussion). I called it The Soul because both Hwal and Sang Woon/Sang Yeon are just the host carrying it. Whoever has the Soul, that person will be who Eul Tae seeks to destroy. You haven't gotten there yet, I think, but later the show will mention The Soul can only reincarnate 8 times, and this lifetime for Sang Woon is the last if Eul Tae manages to destroy* the Soul.

*Destroying the soul and killing the body carrying the soul apparently are two different definition here.

When The Soul went into Female Bulgasal's body and she was stabbed by Hwal, she said "You planned this. I hate you." — I think The Soul planned to go into her body and make Hwal the Bulgasal so he can become the sword to kill Eul Tae since maybe she and Eul Tae were related (?), she wasn't going/able to end Eul Tae's life.

40 minutes ago, UnniSara said:

Then who could have killed Hwal’s family.

My guess is Eul Tae, not Female Bulgasal.

I was kinda sad that  Min Si-Ho didn’t have vision all she could tell was that he wasn’t human. 

Si Ho still has the vision; she's just not using it yet.

All the people from Hwal’s lifetime ( 600 years ago) start to bleed badly once Bulgasal’s is awaken.

Yeah, when Bulgasal uses their power (the growling and high frequencies sound made) the preys bleed from the inside. I think it's a sign that Bulgasal is near. Surprisingly Hwal doesn't cause this, only Eul Tae will.

Hwal is week how will he beat him when he doesn’t drink human blood. Maybe he can supply himself with human blood without killing innocent peole.

Yeah he'll probably have to suck human blood when he eventually face off with Eul Tae and the good news is... maybe he can feed off the monsters who reincarnated into humans xD

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 2
On 1/10/2022 at 3:41 AM, mademoiselle said:

OoOoOoh, I like your speculation that the stabbed wound in the chest was indirectly caused by Female Bulgasal stabbing Hwal, and that gave Eul Tae the dark hole!

Same! I think this is a plausible speculation as to why Eul Tae has the dark hole too! 

Hwal might be the only one who can stop this curse from continuing. Sang Un does not have the power to kill Eul Tae and he cannot kill her without feeling pain. Hwal is the sword who can kill Eul Tae and will be the last remaining Bulgasal who can destroy The Soul. 

@stroppyse Because you never got to Lee Joon's part and might never get there, here's an edit of his scenes. LOL!!

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2